Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:43 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I have noticed in the last couple of days, that sometimes I have trouble "posting".

Occaisionally, I post something, and it says "topic doesn't exist". Then normally a few minutes later, it mysteriously appears, where it should have been in the first place.

I also posted a topic on "Law and Order", and the same thing happened, although it didn't appear until a day or 2 later. :?

Either way, I am wondering how widespread these problems are with other members. I plan on contacting DrM tonight, and maybe we can get together (possibly with Phinneas) and see if we can fix this problem.

If you have had any problems recently, please chime in here if you will.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:55 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

Yes, I had the same issue with a new topic that I started last night. I assumed that there was some review period for the new thread, maybe because I don't have many posts here yet.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:00 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I notice this when I use IE on my laptop. On my desktop, I use Opera and it comes through everytime. I think PJ uses IE too - I may be wrong - and I noticed he had the same problem the other day in the karma rankings. I did notice that sometimes it does take a while for the page to load however.

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

FWIW, I was using Firefox when I saw it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:08 pm 

Thanx, that does help. I'll try all 3 browsers here in a little bit and see if I can find a common denominator or cause.

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:18 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Greetings All,

Have no fear. I am all over it too.

EDIT: After several emails with our Hosting Service, FreeForums.Org, I was notified that they are doing some MySQL upgrading and debugging for added features and repairs of current problems. There are known issues that they are trying to resolve and they are diligently working around the clock on.

The Topic no longer exists: Known issue and they are working for a resolve. If they are debugging at the time you may receive this post error, but, it does not mean you haven't posted, they just haven't hit the update on the server side.

Recommended work around: Always do a preview prior to submit. If they are presently reworking code (which also accounts for loading time between pages) rather than a post being lost, you can use the back button on your browser to retrieve the post you had typed. If a post doesn't immediately show up, go to the main board and perform a refresh. It should show up ---UNLESS--- they are in the middle of switching server, in which case, when the backup is made to the new server, it will magically appear as had happened with some of my posts, TZ DZ Fan's posts, and others. Thanks everyone for their patience with this subject it should be resolved in another week or so at their best guess.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:07 am 

As of around 3 a.m. this morning, (until now approx. 10 am)we have had quite a few problems with the board.

I am not sure if everyone has noticed, but sometimes, whole threads disappear momentarily, and the "topic no longer exists" error reared its ugly head a few times as well.

We have had a tremendous amount of action here in the last 6 hours or so, that may *possibly* have something to do with it, but I doubt it.

Keep the faith people, this board has great tech support, and hopefully all will work itself out very soon.

Just wondering if any of you have also had this problem today, or is it just TZDZ. :|

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:51 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Now this am I had no trouble, but now at 2:30ish Central time it is doing what you described
earlier.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:49 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Web Page Expired:

For those of you getting this error - perform the following to resolve:

(1) In Internet Explorer, click Tools, click Internet Options, and then click the Advanced tab.
(2) Scroll down and uncheck the "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" option in the Security settings.

For those using Norton & McAfee - check your cookie and web blocking settings. Make sure you add Pushing the Envelope to your trusted sites and allow cookies, script, etc.

This should resolve certain errors some are experiencing.

Have Fun & Happy Posting,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:43 pm 

Just a note to all our brethren.

(and to DrM and PJ also if you see this)

Today, several times I have encountered the "topic you requested doesn't exist error".

Just a heads up.

I am off to chop up a poker game, so I won't be back until tomorrow morning.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:33 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Just a note to all our brethren.

(and to DrM and PJ also if you see this)

Today, several times I have encountered the "topic you requested doesn't exist error".

Just a heads up.

I am off to chop up a poker game, so I won't be back until tomorrow morning.

TZ DZ fan

Greetings All,

Yes, freeforums is aware of the out-of-sync problems that is going on with their servers. They have recently rewritten the MYSQL code to resolve the database crashing issue and have discovered that in doing so, they now have an out-of-sync issue. Basically, I will have to log on several times a day and resync our board until they resolve this issue. Nothing to be concerned with, it just means I can't spy on you all as a guest :lol:

Happy Posting & Have Fun,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:41 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Greetings All,

Some of you may have noticed that the board is a little flaky the past couple of days. FreeForums is adding more servers to the system and some boards, apparently ours, is being migrated over multiple currently. This leads to out-of-sync issues, DEBUG, Topic doesn't exist, board slow on refresh, etc. This issue was supposedly resolved at 1:30am today, Sunday January 13, 2008, but even I am still getting some errors. I am doing my best to stay on top of this and refresh and resync often.

I know that there are several multiposts that have occurred that, for the time being, will remain until FreeForum gets the other servers up and running and our site collected onto a common server. Apparently, my deleting duplicate topics only adds to the out-of-sync issue. Sooooo, sorry for the multiple posts, everyone.

Hang in there everyone, this should be resolved later today, I am being told.

SIDE NOTE: For those members using IE7, you may experience white pages and more DEBUG errors than Firefox, Opera, Netscape users. This is caused by a service patch released in December by Microsoft that has effected more than just our forum.

Here are some links to FireFox and Opera. I use FF and get some errors but not as bad as my IE7 browser. DrMoreau is using Opera and he tells me that the page loads slowly from time to time but he hasn't gotten any error messages ... lucky fellow. Please give them a try if you only have IE7 and it may help resolve this for the time being. Both are built on the Mozilla Platform are completely free and definitely safer than IE7.

Image FireFox Home Page

Image Opera Home Page

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:12 pm 

I've been using Opera since 96 or 97 and it became my default browser slightly after initial use. It has a little more customizable abilities that FF doesn't have - but - absolutely better than IE7 by leaps and bounds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 pm 

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Greetings All,

[align=justify]Some of you may have noticed that the board is a little flaky the past couple of days. FreeForums is adding more servers to the system and some boards, apparently ours, is being migrated over multiple currently. This leads to out-of-sync issues, DEBUG, Topic doesn't exist, board slow on refresh, etc. This issue was supposedly resolved at 1:30am today, Sunday January 13, 2008, but even I am still getting some errors. I am doing my best to stay on top of this and refresh and resync often.

I know that there are several multiposts that have occurred that, for the time being, will remain until FreeForum gets the other servers up and running and our site collected onto a common server. Apparently, my deleting duplicate topics only adds to the out-of-sync issue. Sooooo, sorry for the multiple posts, everyone.

Hang in there everyone, this should be resolved later today, I am being told.

Phineas J. Whoopee

As of 9pm eastern time tonight, after being here on and off many times today, I have noticed a few problems are still floating around.

I have been on the board perhaps 6-7 times today, and I posted many times as well.
Regardless, some errors are still continuing. One post didn't appear until over an hour later. (upon first posting, it said "topic doesn't exist)
I have also seen at least 2 other members here today, making posts , and those never appeared as well.
I am under the impression that many of you are also getting the "topic doesn't exist" error. Many times, after seeing that, you can simply "refresh", and it will appear.
Unfortunately, if you do that sometimes it still doesn't immediately appear........... be patient, or move to another area of the board, in many cases, it appears shortly.

I happened to have DrM on the phone last night, and rest assured we are doing what we can, but there isn't too much we can do on our end. Be aware that the problem doesn't seem to be localized to just this board, but in fact over countless boards.

Please work with us, and just be patient. The "powers that be" at freeforums are trying to resolve this issue as best as they can.
This is something that covers and affects many tens of thousands of pages of threads and materials.

Hopefully, this is something that will soon vanish for good.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:35 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Greetings all,

Tonight, they are now all over it. Everything should be running better if not fine. I don't want to say that we are at 100% quite yet, but we are very close.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:56 pm 

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Greetings all,

Tonight, they are now all over it. Everything should be running better if not fine. I don't want to say that we are at 100% quite yet, but we are very close.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Thats good. I can happily say as of around 11:30 pm tonight, things have been running TONS smoother. :clap:

Congrats on post #100.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:03 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I can happily say as of around 11:30 pm tonight, things have been running TONS smoother. :clap:

Congrats on post #100.

TZ DZ Fan

:D Thanks TZ DZ Fan!

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:57 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Co-sign on the congratulations on reaching the centennial post mark, post master general!!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:27 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Greetings all,

Some of you may take note to board issues such as slow down and debug errors. Our service providers here, FreeForum.org, are beginning their implementation of Php3 to all boards. Unfortunately, they have disabled the resync and back-up functions for the mean time so I, unfortunately, can't resync the board when this flutter and slow loading begins. However, we are being promised that once Php3 is implemented that it will have several revisions but these delays and code errors will be a thing of the past. According to their announcement, they will be testing Php3 system wide between April 18 thru 21 and write now they are installing the new databases in preparation for the switch over.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:02 pm 
I've noticed a bit of slow down over the past couple of days, but nothing too major.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:07 pm 

Phineas, Woodrow contacted me earlier, and mentioned that he tried accessing the board this afternoon around 2 PM, and for some reason couldn't get here. :(

He said that he tried accessing it with Firefox AND IE, but no luck.

I am assuming that perhaps we were at the tail end of our upgrading period?

Either way, its running smoothly now as of 8 p.m. Eastern.
No problems as of late, and all seems well.

One quick question, it does seem like we have had our share of problems over the last few months.
Is there any explanation for this? Perhaps they were just getting some issues taken care of, and they happened close together.

Just so other members know, as far as I could discern from our last talk, we shouldn't have any problems for quite some time now.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 pm 

Just curious if any other members were on during this time and experienced the similar. Not doubting that the board may have had a problem, just looking to see if maybe Woodrow had an issue with his IP service provider. Not o say he did, mind you, just looking for clarification in either direction.

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:28 am 

I can't say.

I was asleep yesterday from around 10 a.m. to about 7 last night. Some of us have to sleep ya know. :)

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:18 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Greetings All,

FreeForums has began their PHP3 conversions and as you may or may not have noticed, we indeed have problems. Primarily, Post Reply isn't working as it should. Freeforums has had several, several, several reports of this problem by everyone on this host. They are diligently working to resolve this problem.

In the mean while, please use the Quick Reply box at the bottom of the last post, or page, to until this has been fixed. Sorry I don't have better news but as I announced a week or so back, we knew it was coming. Please be patient, this too will pass.

In the mean time, Happy Posting & Have Fun,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:35 pm 
The General
The General

Whew! I'm glad it's not just me! I had trouble again this afternoon, some funky monkey stuff goings on!!!
So are you saying we are still able to post just follow your instructions above??

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:44 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Whew! I'm glad it's not just me! I had trouble again this afternoon, some funky monkey stuff goings on!!!
So are you saying we are still able to post just follow your instructions above??

Yes! :D If you hit the post reply and it starts to load, but then shows the previous posts, they're still working on the bugs.

Use the Quick Reply and then Submit. You can then edit that post, with full functions, smiles, BBCode, etc. Apparently it is something in their Post Reply coding that isn't working properly.

Note: I clicked the QUOTE function and it loaded the response screen properly so they are making headway.

Have Fun & Happy Posting,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:05 pm 

Seems to be working fine now. Must have been a quick fix due to sloppy programming. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:31 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Good to know. Looks like we are back to normal everyone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Greetings All,

As expected, the implementation of the new FreeForumer backbone is still in progress and certain board functions were temporarily altered. Primarily the posting tool bar icons had been coming in as red x's and rank colors reverting to the skin standard defaults. I have been working with the FF tech support and have resolved those issues. I believe that they are the only ones we experienced as did several other boards.

Note of Interest: If you were having trouble changing your theme skin, you should able to do so now. I am not positive anyone experienced that problem but thought I should throw it out there too. I did see several comments from other board administrators stating that regardless of the skin some people chose, the default blue skin would always be displayed. Since our board default skin is subtrails green, I hadn't noticed that problem. I did investigate this issue and changed my personal skin settings to all available options and all appeared to be functioning correctly.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:21 am 

OK - before anyone gets worried - all of freeforum.org was down for a few hours. Either due to upgrade, down server, or other - they haven't posted the exact details yet. Anyway, as of 7:15am PDT, All was working fine.

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 am 
The General
The General

Thanks! I figured as much. Glad to see it up and running again so I can get my fix! :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:49 am 
That explains a lot, as I couldn't access the board for about a 6-7 hour period last night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm 

Yes, I couldn't access the board for at least 4-5 hours, and still couldn't when I finally went to bed around 8 this morning.

A note to the rest of the members- - -

I was speaking with Rorschach this morning, and talking about problems here versus "other boards".

Its like this.......... the people DrM and I finally chose and ended up dealing with is "freeforums.org." There were many reasons for this, and not the least of which is not only are they a newer , more modern cutting edge type of board, they have many more features and options available than most forums.
You can see this prominently, as you try and type in a response/reply, by noticing all the different options available to you when you post.
One of the big ones here is the ability to link directly/embed youtube videos. Thats probably one of the ones that the people use here more than the others.

This also includes many more fonts, colors, a "scrolling marquee" feature with your text, and countless other little goodies.
Personally, I still don't know how to use anywhere near even half of the options that we have, but they are there and in time I will learn more of the tricks.
Seeing as this freeforums is more modern and user friendly, they are continually updating their software, tinkering with servers, making additions and also getting rid of unwanted things.
They also take into consideration board members requests for other features too, and have great forums/boards for support.

But all these other and newer options, obviously lead to a bit more downtime, as simply put, theres more things that can go wrong.

Yes, we occaisionally have some problems, and its frustrating for us all.
But in the long run I think we are the better for it, as we have alot more to offer than most "older style" boards.

On this note- You might want to direct your attention to this post. ~~~> http://pushingtheenvelope.freeforums.or ... ts-t8.html

This explains alot about some of the features that many of us still don't use yet, including me.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:20 pm 

In case anyone had not realized yet, as of around 11 p.m. last night (earlier) we have been having problems with the board.

Not only is the main forum page a bit "jumbled" with ads, but the timestamp on posts are also wrong.

Unfortunately, I have not contacted DrMoreau like I was intending to earlier.

AND- Its not easy to get with Phineas either, he is much harder to notify on short notice.

I am not sure if this is due to "upgrades", or possibly its just kinks that are being worked on.

Hopefully DrMoreau, or possibly Phineas can let us know more soon.

Thank you all for being patient with this.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:43 am 

Must have been on FF's server side - it looks alright to me today.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:06 pm 
Everything is copacetic here.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:41 am 

Everything is ok on this end now.

But rest assured last night IT WASN'T.

Rorschach was having the same problems I was, and I assume some of the other members were as well, although no one piped up here.

Good to have everything back in working order.

On that note- DrMoreau I was going to call you last night to get you to take a look at it, but I didn't.

Lets just say you would have found it interesting.
It was probably them tinkering with different "ad styles" and placements. But all times and dates on posts were "Dec. 31, 1969".

Kinda funny actually.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:18 pm 

For the last 1-2 hours, I have been having a few problems accessing the board.

It is very, very slow loading, and I am wondering if anyone else is having similar problems...........?

Also, I am curious, just how many of our regular contributing members are using "Internet Explorer"?

I think the majority of my loading problems are stemming from the current slew of newer ads that have been appearing recently.

From memory, DrMoreau uses at least one browser type that allows him to "disguise" it in such a way that it mimics other types, such as IE.
If possible, try a quick run through and see if you are experiencing any problems similar to mine.

For what its worth, I am not having any other problems at other sites.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:41 pm 

Could be the ads, TZ DZ. I know with both Opera and Fire Fox, you can completely block the ads too, so maybe that may be a solution as well. Being I've never seen the ads here, I couldn't swear to that.

As far as loading and posting, I'm having no problems.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:46 pm 

DrMoreau wrote:
Could be the ads, TZ DZ. I know with both Opera and Fire Fox, you can completely block the ads too, so maybe that may be a solution as well. Being I've never seen the ads here, I couldn't swear to that.

As far as loading and posting, I'm having no problems.

About 30-45 minutes after I posted this, the problem is pretty much gone.

Now I am thinking more and more about getting another browser.

Another friend of mine has "Safari", and talks well of it, but I am leaning towards FireFox or Opera.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01 pm 

Yeah - I've used Safari when I've been on Mac's. A little too simple and visually unappealling for my taste. I also don't like that it wont fill my screen. Both Fire Fox and Opera are built on Mozillia. Far safer then IE.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:03 pm 

As of approximately 9:50 - 10:00 pm eastern, the chat room on the board here is not available.

The chat "box" simply doesn't appear, so although the thread opens, you are basically looking at a blank page, unable to chat.

Hopefully freeforums will correct this situation soon!

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:41 pm 

As of about 10:40 , the problem seems to be fixed and the chat is working properly.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject: Feb 10, 2009
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:18 am 

OK - here is the official announcement from FreeForums.Org regarding our downtime earlier today:

So, as you can see, it wasn't just us but all of freeforums.

DrM

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:21 am 

A note to all members..............

I notified DrMoreau of this problem early Saturday night.

Very early Saturday morning, at about 8 am Eastern I was replying to a post in one of the threads, and I had a virus try and enter my computer through a "pop-up" elicited from one of the banner ads we have here on the board.
This may sound a bit confusing, but when I was "previewing" a reply I had made in a post, this virus/prompt appeared while my page was refreshing before the ad banner came up along the top of the page. It all happened in a split second.

Never in the history of the board have I heard of anything like this occurring.
Basically it prompted me to download and install an "EXE" file that was named something along the lines of "antivirusinstaller".

Be warned, this looked very legitimate. It essentially showed files and folders that are in everyones Windows, and said certain ones were infected, and in order to protect your computer, you should immediately download this program.

I tinkered with it for a minute, but never downloaded it, while I was trying to make heads or tails of what was going on.

Eventually I got it closed down, with no problems, and after running a few checks with Norton, everything is all clear on this end with no problems.

Tonight, in the last few minutes, while navigating through the board, I have had a couple of other problems, that may be related.
Much earlier, I was having a couple of "JAVA" problems, and I had to re-install it on my computer after deleting an earlier version.
Shortly ago, while replying to yet another post, I was linked and transferred to a site called "Blackpeoplemeet . com" by People Media, instead of the reply button producing another page here to post on.

As amusing as this sounds, rest assured its not a joke.

DrMoreau is familiar with this type of virus, and even knew it by name when I described it.
I have many times over the years seen a few odd things come up, but I have never been "fooled" by any of this type garbage.
This one almost got me though, let this serve as a warning to all the members here.

DrMoreau is convinced that the problem is mostly well known more to the people that still use "Internet Explorer", and thats what I currently use.

I had been planning on changing a while back, but other things going on have sort of kept that a lower priority.

I do not know how many here still use "Internet Explorer", but offhand I think at least a few of us still do.

Regardless of which browser any of us use, we should still look into the root of this problem, and see what can be done about it.
I am hoping that within the next 24-48 hours, one of us can contact "freeforums", and see what we can dig up on this.

Hopefully DrMoreau can chime in here tonight,(while I am out of town) and be of a bit more service.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:39 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Yesterday, I was at work and I thought I'd check the posts on PTE. I was using Firefox and I was just viewing new posts. I clicked on a topic and got one of those stupid ads that looked like a legit Windows information popup. It said something about my computer may be infected or something.

Now, I've seen this exact pop-up before and I cursed it then and somehow eluded it. It says something like "click OK to continue or cancel". I'm quite certain I clicked cancel and it installed a virus (I can't remember what it was called, but I'll post it here as soon as I do). In the past, I believe I eluded this virus install by clicking the "X" in the popup, but I had a ton of windows open and missed it this time.

Symantec anti-virus cleaned the virus instantly but since I was on my work laptop I now appear on a SOC report as having downloaded a virus. First time its ever happened to me at work and it pisses me off. I am a network architect and work in IT and to be fooled by such a joke...I have to say I am embarrassed that I F$%KED up like this.

Now this morning at home (should mention using IE), I was checking new posts and twice I was taken to blackpeoplemeet.com. Now I've got nothing against black, white or purple people meeting but that's not where I thought I was going. Ridiculous. Any help that I can offer, let me know.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:54 am 
Post Master General
Post Master General

Greetings All,

DrMoreau notified me as to TZ DZ Fan's discovery. I sent an email to FreeForumer and this was my reply:

-----------
Hello,

Recently there has been some problems with some of the ads displayed on our network. We have removed a specific provider of ads from showing and we believe this has fixed the issues users have been having. If there are anymore issues please let us know. Please note that providing both the screenshot of the ad, and the link that the ad leads to (which can be found by right clicking the ad and copy link location, or by viewing the source of the page) is needed.

Thank you,
-Jackal

---------

If anyone, including TZDZ or Whit, can provide this information as requested by Jackal, I am sure that they can further investigate and get this resolved. It appears to be a forum wide nuisance and not just on our board.

I have been checking the board and have yet been redirected. I have not seen the pop-up either. I can only think that it is because I use the Adblock Plus add on in FireFox.

DrMoreau mentioned that Java started using a Java Quick Start application in both their windows start up (JWS.exe) that will run locally on your machine and they provided an add on for Fire Fox and IE. He recommended disabling this service as well. This started in version 6.10 and is still there in 6.12.

To disable JQS.exe, click start/run/ and type in msconfig and press enter. Look in the startup tab and uncheck its box. Also uncheck Jusched. Click apply and ok to reboot system. after reboot, a pop up will display notifying you a change has been made. Click the box to not show this anymore and this should resolve any Java issues.

For the mean time, lets be smart and diligent and try to gather as much information to shut these damn idiots down and off our board, and others, for good.

As Always, Have Fun & Happy Posting,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:30 pm 

I will be leaving town until sometime late tonight, or early tomorrow, so I won't be back until then, but maybe this can help.

I have now went and tried to disable the above items.

After bringing up the list as described, I did NOT see JQS.EXE, NOR did I see JWS.EXE, but rest assured the "Jusched" was there, and now it is disabled.

So all is apparently ok on this end.

For what its worth, once in a while I play on "POGO" , and they use Java on their site and software.
Late last night (after posting the warning above) I asked a couple of their more senior members, and basically several told me the same thing.
In the latest Java update, a few bugs have appeared, and some people there have experienced problems also. I think this last Java update was in the last few days as well.
Some of these people have reverted back to an older version of Java until these problems are fixed.

Also, I tried to retrace my steps, and find the "blackpeoplemeet.com" page in question, and it seems to have been changed.
It is still there, or seems to be, but the layout of the page is a bit different.

Because of the problems, I went back and cleaned out all my temporary internet files and history, so I can't be 100% sure its the exact page, but I believe that it is. ( same basic info and page,just a different color scheme and layout)

That page is here ~~~~~~~~~~~~> http://www.blackpeoplemeet.com/

If I could tinker around here a bit, perhaps I could find the exact problem again. I am guessing though, that because I have shut off the "Jusched", the problems are more than likely over.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 pm 
The General
The General

Well, I use Firefox and this happened to me last night when I was trying to give someone karma....now I forget who I was giving Karma to! The same thing popped up and I immediately shut the damn computer down as I have been fooled by this crap before as well. I didn't even think it had something to do with PTE! Wow!
I hope this gets fixed....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:59 pm 

It may not, Woodrow. As I told TZ DZ and Phineas - it appears to be a java exploit. Get up to date: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp