Post subject: Soylent Green (1973)
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:14 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be

Soylent Green (1973)

[sv2]640 330 hjhznqrslgei[/sv2]

Original Release Date: May 9, 1973
Cast: Charlton Heston, Leigh Taylor-Young, Chuck Connors, Joseph Cotten, Brock Peters, Paula Kelly, and Edward G. Robinson
Writer(s): Stanley R. Greenberg {Based on the novel by Harry Harrison}
Director: Richard Fleischer

It's the year 2022 ... People are still the same. They'll do anything to get what they need. And they need SOYLENT GREEN.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:38 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I actually just saw this for the first time in 2008 around January, VHS tape and I thought it was actually really good. I find myself loving horror and sci-fi and mystery movies from the 70s and 80s and hating movies made in the past 20 years. What really hurts is when you try to get somebody to check out a cult classic or something great from back in the day and they wont even give it a chance because "I dont like those old movies" "I cant watch those kinda movies" "I dont like them" Wow....you havent even watched them ....you dont even give them a chance you just get told that it was made in the 70s and 80s......is dialogue to much for you to handle these days or do you need a sinking Titanic to capture your attention.
WTF? How many times can you watch Branden Frasier in Journey to the Center of the Earth before you relize your watching the same thing you have been watching for the past 10 years......CGI crap.
Anyway...sorry for the rant...this movie was great.....its made of people....and my dad told me that it was one of the last performences of Edward G Robinson...or at least a movie that he wouldnt do....I heard he was more of a detective....gangster type back in the day and he went outside the box for this movie.....but I liked it....
Should have always had a sequel....Soylent Red...Soylent Yellow maybe.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:36 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
Well this is one of my favourite movies of all time, sort of like a low tech version of Blade Runner. I've read the original novel it's based on too, Harry Harrison's Make Room! Make Room! It's even more depressing than the film and there is no Soylent Green in it, but still a very good read.

Spoiler

Edward G Robinson's death scene at the euthanasia clinic towards the end is even sadder to watch if you know that he was actually dying of cancer for real, his death scene was the last day he worked in his life; he died just nine days after shooting wrapped and when Chartlon Heston was crying in the scene, he was crying in real cause he was the only person on set who knew about it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:15 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Actually, I see that Woodrow spoke of the point I made in my spoiler section in another post too, so I'm sure he'd agree with me.

Post subject: Re: Soylent Green
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:56 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Ah, yes-s-s... SOYLENT GREEN. This is one I've gotten to like more as the years went by.

I'm old enuff to remember a time when the seventies were considered the 'new brand' of cinema. Everything from the actors (like Pacino & De Niro) to all the genres (including science fiction) were regarded as having a new edge, a new realism, a new adult sensibility - even in comparison to the swinging sixties. It's depressing to now hear that the films of '70s are now looked upon as "those old movies." Whatta difference just 30 years makes. But, where were we? Oh, yes... SOYLENT GREEN.
___ Image __ Image
The year of this film, 2022, is now only a dozen years away, but they got a lot of it right way back in the seventies - OK, New York City probably will not have 40 million people a dozen years from now, but at least there are no flying cars in this one (see Back to the Future Part II, not to mention Blade Runner, among others). Realistic, right? The have-nots of this film content themselves with hand-me-downs from past decades. I really like the atmosphere of the whole film - everyone sweats under the 'Greenhouse Effect' and there's scarcity of many things we now take for granted. OK, maybe it won't be so bad in 2022, but in 2042 - who knows, maybe? (Hey, maybe this was a favorite film of Al Gore back in the day - of course, that would mean he based all his science on a movie but maybe it IS a million degrees at the center of the Earth!).

The best thing here may be the performances - Edward G. Robinson, of course, stands out. This WAS his last film, yes. His interaction with Heston (who is a cop, and Robinson is his 'book' a.k.a. research) is great - very memorable. Robinson is how I would probably be - not in 2022, but in 2042 - who knows? I gave it an 8.

Post subject: Re: Soylent Green (1973)
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:26 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Reality follows art..? I see this article on the net, earlier today:

Forests across the world dying off as climate warms

Scientists say the future habitability of the Earth may be at stake

By JUSTIN GILLIS - updated 10/1/2011 8:45:03 AM ET

WISE RIVER, Mont. — The trees spanning many of the mountainsides of western Montana glow an earthy red, like a broadleaf forest at the beginning of autumn.

But these trees are not supposed to turn red. They are evergreens, falling victim to beetles that used to be controlled in part by bitterly cold winters. As the climate warms, scientists say, that control is no longer happening.

Across millions of acres, the pines of the northern and central Rockies are dying, just one among many types of forests that are showing signs of distress these days... (read the rest here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44740060/ns ... ork_times/)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you read the entire article, it reveals that the situation may not be so dire, but that headline is virtually a copy of Heston/Thorn's dialog towards the end of the film -- "Oceans are dying, plankton is dying.." (paraphrasing). This film really is seeming to be some kind of prophecy... :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:36 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I blame the Tommyknockers...but seriously...

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
Anyone want to go and shop for some "furniture"?

:evil: Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:39 pm 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

I saw this on a double-bill with Westworld when I was ten. It's one of my fondest movie-going experiences and cemented Science Fiction as my genre of choice for the rest of my life.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:44 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

The Belated Nerd wrote:
I saw this on a double-bill with Westworld when I was ten. It's one of my fondest movie-going experiences and cemented Science Fiction as my genre of choice for the rest of my life.

Sounds a great double-bill, both classics, but Soylent Green especially is one of my fav movies :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:01 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I just watched this film again on the TCM Channel last night and noticed something which I thought I'd just throw out here to see if anyone has an insight into this...

What is it with people sleeping on stairs in this film?
It's a somewhat famous visual from the film. It's best known from the scenes at Detective Thorn's own apartment building: every time he leaves his apartment or returns, he has to climb over these annoying people sleeping on the stairs. But, there is at least one other scene, when Thorn is spying on the bodyguard Tab's apartment building from across the street; when Tab exits, Thorn has to make his way down a long flight of exterior stairs that are filled to the brim with sleeping people (this is the scene where one sleeper complains at Thorn to watch where he's stepping).

It's this last scene that made think about this: there's room under the stairs in this shot (it's outside) and all around for people to sleep on the ground; why choose the stairs which, I think, are way more uncomfortable. Ever try to sleep on stairs? Why would you? Why not a flat piece of ground?

So, I'm thinking there is some rule about sleeping on the ground or sidewalk or streets... and that leaves the stairs... but it comes across as downright silly to me now. I mean, the sleepers block anyone trying to make his way up or down stairs, which is what stairs are for; it makes more sense to sleep under stairs or anywhere else, for that matter. As an example, when Sol and Thorn are shown going towards the euthanasia center, there's plenty of empty ground space all around - it's not like all areas are filled with sleeping people and that's why they use stairs to sleep on.

Maybe this is explained in the Harrison story, Make Room, Make Room, but I don't remember it. Anyone have any theories, answers..?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:09 pm 

It's to show off two points. To demonstrate how people are so overcrowded, in order to get out of the elements and sleep indoors, they have to go and sleep in the stairwell. Also to demonstrate how Detective Thorne, even though "poor", has it a lot better off than most of the people in New York.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:30 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I've read "Make Room! Make Room!" a couple of times, the last time quite recently, and the same thing with people sleeping on the stairs is described, and it doesn't elaborate on it anymore than the film, but I've always thought for the reasons Creeper mentions too, plus it's such a visually striking image, my favourite from the film.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:58 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I understand your points - in fact, the first few times that I watched this film, the visual of Thorn climbing over people on stairs at his own building made the strongest impression on me. It hit home the population problem. But, the reason I brought this up now is the scene of Thorn spying on Tab the bodyguard's apartment building; this was outside; as I said, Thorn had to make his way down an exterior stairway, on the side of a building. This had nothing to do with people seeking shelter inside. Again, why would people choose to sleep on very uncomfortable stairs rather than underneath those same stairs, on a flat surface? It just doesn't make sense to me. And, these same sleeping people would have to worry about people stepping on them all the time (again, because that is what stairs are for), as opposed to a spot underneath where no one ever walks.

Of course, this raises other questions - this was daytime; why are they trying to sleep in the middle of the day? Maybe they work nights.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:21 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I read the novel recently and was disappointed by the ending. I felt that story used in the movie was much better.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

anton wrote:
I read the novel recently and was disappointed by the ending. I felt that story used in the movie was much better.

The first time I read the novel I felt the same way, it's such a downbeat ending without much of a real conclusion, and even though I'll always prefer the movie, I found it more satisfying on a second reading.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:13 pm