Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:23 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Scaramouche(1952)

No video? Get the DivX Web Player for Windows or Mac

Original Release Date: May 8, 1952
Cast: Stewart Granger, Eleanor Parker, Janet Leigh and Mel Ferrer
Writer(s): Ronald Millar and George Froeschel {Based on the novel by Rafael Sabatini}
Director: George Sidney

In 18th-century France, a young man masquerades as an actor to avenge his friend's murder.

Post subject: Re: Scaramouche (1952)
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:20 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I love this movie, Granger makes a great charming lead, Mel Ferrer a suitably loathsome villain, and the sword fighting some of the most impressive on screen. The final duel of the film is often reported to be the longest on screen, but this is nonsense, it's about seven and half minutes long, Zorro the Italian 1975 film starring French actor Alain Delon has a climatic sword fight running to about fourteen minutes, virtually twice as long! Still a great film though nonetheless.

9/10

Post subject: Re: Scaramouche (1952)
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:34 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
I love this movie, and I own the DVD.

Concerning the length of the sword fight, there might be longer ones, but I doubt there are better ones. The sword fights in movies like The Mark of Zorro and The Sea Hawk are beautifully staged -- but the one in Scaramouche takes place in a crowded theater with hundreds of people screaming and scrambling out of the way as the two combatants battle.

Steward Granger stands on the backs of the theater seats at one point and mocks Mel Ferrer as he parries his opponent's attacks.

What makes all this especially moving for the viewer is the fact that Granger's character knows nothing of sword fighting at the beginning of the story. But he trains himself ruthlessly throughout the film so that he can take revenge on Mel Ferrer's character for the murder of Richard Anderson, Granger's close friend.

So, my claim that the sword fight in Scaramouche is the best sword fight on film is based on these three facts:

1. It's really long (7 minutes).

2. It's really, really well staged (a crowded theater with lots of screaming folks and plenty of swinging and leaping.)

3. It's really, really, really emotionally involving because the hero wants to slice the gizzard out of the bad guy, but he has to work his butt off to become a master swordsman.

This is a lot like Luke what's-his-name training himself to defeat Darth something-or-other in Return of the whatchama-callits.

And just for the record, both Luke and Steward decided at the last moment not to slice-and-dice their opponents because . . . well . . . blood is thicker than water.

Coincidence? You tell me.

Bud