Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Invaders from Mars (1953)

Original Release Date: April 22, 1953
Cast: Helena Carter, Arthur Franz, Jimmy Hunt and Leif Erickson
Writer(s): Richard Blake {Based on a story by John Tucker Battle}
Director: William Cameron Menzies

Mankind's oldest fear comes to life! From out of space... came hordes of green monsters!

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:50 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
If I had seen this movie as a kid, I think it would have freaked me out pretty bad, especially the story which forces the main character, a little boy, to deal with an alien invasion practically on his own. I use the word "creepy" a lot, but there are a lot of images and shots of some downright creepy things in this movie. The underground alien menace, the "head" alien in his little glass ball, the "worker" aliens and their fuzzy suits with the zippers up the back, its all the stuff that my childhood nightmares would have been made of. There are also some interesting sets and shots. I was impressed with the hillside where the boy sees the meteor crash. A more eerie hillside I had not seen since the preacher rides up the hill silhouetted by the moon in "Night of the Hunter". I also thought the perspective of the front desk in the police station was very odd and certainly intimidating to the boy when he reports the strange events to the police.

This isn't a very good movie as far as I'm concerned, but it does contain some artistic visuals that demand attention.

My Rating: 6 - Good

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:22 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
This one has been a favorite of mine for decades. I didn't see it until I was about 15 (on TV) and I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd seen it at a drive-in in the late 1950s (several years after it was released).

The fact that the entire story is supposed to be a child's nightmare (explaining all the distortions in reality, like the police sergeant's very tall desk and the loving parents who suddenly become cold and cruel) were lost on me until I became much older.

Watching it as an adult and realize it's not supposed to look "real" makes it an easy movie to love.

My favorite scene is when veteran actor Morris Ankrum, who appeared in more sci-fi movies than any other actor in the 1950s, tells the soldiers he commands to follow him as he charges down into the cavern the aliens have created!

I love it! This is a great movie.