Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Boy And His Dog
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:55 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
"I was out with Blood, my dog. It was his week for annoying me; he kept calling me Albert. ...Pason Terhune: ha ha."

So begins the finest SF novella ever to win the Nebula. The film, directed by L.Q. Jones would win writer Harlan Ellison a Hugo.

This is the raw, red-meat tale that stood all of Science Fiction, nay, even Literature, on it's ass--and then cut it off at the trunk with a blunt knife just to hear it squeal in its death throes.

The film stars then newcomer Don Johnson as Vic, a violent young man committed totally to his own survival in a brutal post-atomic war world softened only by his companionship with his telepathic dog, Blood.

Blood, is descended from genetically manufactured telepathic dogs, manufactured as weapons--back in better days. His level of cynicism is vastly greater.

During the film's development, Harlan expressed interest in voicing Blood's telepathic communications with Vic. They are done by Tim McIntire in the film.

The story is a rich tapestry, at first showing viewers a world without hope, dignity, or a future--yet within this puzzlebox dystopia Love can still exist--if only under this world's harsh terms.

For those who have never lived like a bug beneath society's boot, or experienced the Ghetto, much of Vic's reasoning will seem alien and abhorrent. Vic's interactions with Quilla June (Susanne Benton) who is "slumming" on the destroyed surface of Vic's world, are meant to shock. Her father, played by Jason Robards, epitomizes the worst of Conservative Middle American and its Church Going Denizens in a nightmarish underground town. Sex and free thought don't live here among the Clean White Picket Fences. These folks find Vic's sexual prowess handy since their own men cannot impregnate their frigid women.

This may sound good, but these Churchmen intend to hook Vic up to a milking machine forever. He escapes, fights like mad, and takes Quilla June along, who he now knows was "bait" to lure him below to her cult.

For the first time in his life, Vic has learned to love a being other than his dog Blood, and to forgive a being, Quilla June, for intentional wrong doing to himself..... The couple struggle up and up and up from the underground to....

One of the most startling, meaningful and controversial climaxes in all of Fiction.

Thanks, Harlan. A real eye-opener and a major inspiration in my career.

Post subject: Re: A Boy And His Dog
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:02 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
JonnyDuffy wrote:
".
One of the most startling, meaningful and controversial climaxes in all of Fiction.

If I remember correctly it did seem to have a sick twisted comedic element to the ending, but some of this movies humor went over my head.