Total votes : 6
 Post subject: The Devil's Ticket
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:06 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 29 - The Devil's Ticket

Original Air Date: April 18, 1961
Starring Cast: MacDonald Carey, Joan Tetzel, Patricia Medina, Robert Cornthwaite, Hayden Rorke, and John Emery
Writer(s): Robert Bloch
Director: Jules Bricken

Hector Vane is a starving artist who soon learns that the Devil now owns and operates the local pawnshop. For fortune and fame, Hector will pawn his soul for 90 days.

Post subject: Re: The Devil's Ticket
Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:57 am 

Episode 29 - The Devil's Ticket: Don't you just love this title? The Devil's Ticket -- and just what type of ticket may that be? To enter into a pawn with the devil, for your soul, for 90 days. In exchange, fame, fortune, women - whatever your heart desires. So, what's the catch? You have to reclaim your soul before nightfall with whatever the Devil considers as fair exchange . . . enter starving artist, Hector Vane.

Now, going into this, you know where the story is going to take you. Man sells soul, man regrets deal, man tries to escape his fate but is trapped to the letter of the agreement. As is often said, the journey counts more than the destination, and this is another fine example. If you pay attention to the foreshadows, you may figure out what is about to transpire, but it's so well played, the 50 minutes streams past. Great pacing, sets, cinematography, lighting, etc - this sucks you right in and dares you not to find yourself engrossed.

Based on Robert Bloch's short story {Weird Tales September 1944} and adapted by Bloch himself, this is among the best of Season 1. It's tight, lacks fluff and filler, stays 98% true to the short story, and - like most every Thriller - has the makings of a feature film. Directed by Jules Bricken {His 3rd and last Thriller} and scored by Mort Stevens, the mood just jumps out at you.

Cast:

MacDonald Carey as Hector Vane. A little older than he is in the story but it's not a hindrance. It actually enhances the role seeing that he isn't young and has lived the life of a struggling artist with a tried and faithful wife for 10 ~ 20 years at his side. Carey has that believability about his performances, possibly due to Broadway or just the countless movies you've seen him in, that allows you to accept him right away. No time is wasted on screen and he never breaks character. Like Harry Townes and Henry Dainell, he is one of Thriller best cast actors.

Joan Tetzel as Maria Vane - her 1st of 2 Thriller episodes {See "An Attractive Family"} - and bot being remarkable episodes to her good fortune. Like Carey, she is no stranger to Hitchcock fans - she appeared in both AHP and movies - and is a solid wife for Hector. Just past her prime but her beauty, both physical and spiritually, comes through. When matched up against Nadja {Patricia Medina} you wonder what the hell Hector was doing.

Speaking of Patricia Medina, here too is her 1st of 2 Thrillers. She'll later appear in "The Premature Burial," with the same femme fatale role. Hard to knock her performance - delivered as written - and she plays the bitch exceedingly well. Not her 1st pairing with Carey either, the both appear in "A Stranger at my Door" in 1956.

Now, as strong as the aforementioned players are, the real star of this episode is John Emery - the pawn brokering devil. No horns, no hoofs, no pitchfork or tail, just sinister acting and mannerisms. He has a wonderful air of superiority that makes him both evil and benign at the same time. He is so good, he often steals scenes without much effort. Like the rest of our cast, he is a familiar face from such movies as "Rocketship X-M," "Kronos," and yet another Hitchcock alum for "Spellbound." I place Emery's Devil next to Thomas Gomez as Cadwaller in TZ's "Escape Clause" as my favorite TV Devil.

Wrap all aspects of this episode together and you'll find, much as Boris proclaims in the opening, "This is a Thriller."

9!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
I love ole John Emery as "The Devil"...although my favorite TV role for him was as "The Bum" in that funny "I Love Lucy" Females Are Fabulous Episode. He and Lucy have a field day as she's just appeared on "Females Are Fabulous" and in order to win $1000 she must introduce the man sent from the "Females Are Fabulous" game show to Ricky as her "first" husband arriving around 8 pm at Lucy and Ricky's apartment and keep the charade going until midnight. Emery pops in at the apartment just prior to this and Lucy mistakes Emery for the man from the game show....and the results are hilarious as Lucy and Emery have a field day with this awkward situation.

My rating for the episode is a 9.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:25 pm 

Shatners Grim Reaper wrote:
I love ole John Emery as "The Devil"...

co-sign! Perhaps my favorite TV devil ... perhaps.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:58 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
A rather ominous start to the episode, definitely sets the mood for what comes next. Great to see MacDonald Carey, as he puts forth a truly believable performance. Unlike Mr. Bedeker signing away his soul to the devil, Mr. Vane merely pawns his, but that seems to be just as troubling. The simple fact is one should never deal with the devil, period. Hector's wife seems to be the easy choice as his mistress is simply out of her mind and insane to deal with. Loved the attempt at outwitting Emery, but the devil always cashes in. Awesome episode!

9!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:36 pm 

2nd Thriller for Lazy and I can see he's getting sucked in. ;)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:36 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
DrMoreau wrote:

:ROTF:

Indeed. I know the show was always on here, guess I needed a little nudge from you via your "Episode of the Week" theme.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:

Me too. I'm now up to this episode. I'm just going to watch the commentary for Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper and then watch this one. The show really seems to be picking up steam towards the end of the first season here. I'll be back with a review after I see this.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:23 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I actually like it when someone can outsmart the devil because in real life, sometimes good people can outsmart the bad. And The Devil was right, a woman can sometimes be a man's undoing. Boy did his wife screw him over inadvertently in this one. I give it a 9, as it only loses a point for the ending, already had a nice twist, didn't need another one on top of it.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:42 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Like everyone else has said here, this is well-acted. John Emery is fantastic as the devil. I really liked the opening scene in the pawn shop. It was a fantastic mood setter. I don't know what Hector was thinking. Maria was so good to him and he falls for Nadja? What was wrong with him? Was his infatuation with Nadja forced by the devil himself? In fact, the only clumsy part of the episode was the Hector/Nadja scenes.

I saw the first twist coming, but the last one...I was fooled. And a fine ending it was.

I can't give it a "9" because the story is the run-of-the-mill, "man sells soul to the devil" deal.

I've got to say though, "Thriller" has been consistently good. I have officially watched 21 of these now, and have never rated one worse than Good. Maybe I am just choosing my spots accurately, but this series is proving to be more consistently watchable than "Outer Limits" or "Twilight Zone". I'm not saying it's better, I'm just not running into any stinkers. Of course, I haven't watched the first 14 episodes yet.

My Rating: 8 - Very Good