Post subject: A Wig for Miss DeVore
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:53 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 56 - A Wig for Miss DeVore

PtEImage

Original Air Date: January 29, 1962
Starring Cast: Patricia Barry, John Baragrey, John Fielder, Linda Watkins, Pamela Searle, and Herbert Rudley
Writer(s): Donald S. Sanford and August Derleth {Based on a the story by August Derleth}
Director: John Brahm

Sheila Devore, a fading 38 year-old movie siren, is on the comeback trail. Her vehicle of choice, "The Legend of Meg Peyton," the story of an 18th-Century English courtesan and witch. Miss DeVore demands authenticity and will only wear the real and genuine Peyton wig to complete her role. Little does Miss DeVore know that the legend of witchcraft is true and the wig brings with it a curse.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:25 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I've always wanted to know the name of this one, since I saw it for the last time quite some time ago. (I always remembered someone LIKE John Fiedler in it, but wasn't sure whether it was.)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:25 am 

Glad we could help, TBFBL.

Fielder plays a typical role he was known for here. A helpful milquetoast that is under appreciated by those he devotes himself to - but continues on without complaint.

Patricia Barry is also very good in her role as Miss DeVore - her 3rd and last "Thriller." Mater of fact - the entire cast here seem rather well suited to the roles assigned. Not to mention that this is another example of the often overlooked talent of John Brahms directing talent.

A little extra attention for me is paid to Pamela Searle - Meg Peyton - as shown in the credit picture. She didn't do a whole lot in her short acting career but this episode was a sparkler for the former Miss England.
Another standout for me is Linda Watkins as Arabella - who did 3 episodes of "Thriller" including this one, 2 episodes of AHP, and a bunch of guest and support roles. From the Early 30's to the 50's she mainly did radio but old horror fans may recognize her from, "From Hell It Came."

A Wig for Miss DeVore is a good little tale of vanity and vengeance that lasts for centuries with a cost right out of hell. This brings a good bit of witchcraft and horror to the Hollywood media machine and doesn't stop when the curtain falls.

9!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
From the writer/director combo that brought us "Well of Doom", comes another winner, "A Wig For Miss DeVore". Donald S. Sanford adopts an August Derleth short story about a magic (or cursed) wig that resurrects the career of a past-her-prime actress, played by Patricia Barry. After a well-staged opening scene that shows us the execution of a beautiful but murderous witch, we pick up the story of Sheila DeVore. Miss DeVore is a blonde, Marilyn Monroe-ish actress working on her big comeback. Patricia Barry plays DeVore, who gets real with her role in a movie about the murderous witch I just mentioned. She gets so into her role that she requests and receives the actual wig worn by the snuffed out witch. The wig makes Miss DeVore the biggest actress in Hollywood, but also resurrects the spirit of the murderous witch.

Patricia Barry is really good as Miss DeVore. She's goes from an air-headed starlet to a magnetic, dominating, manipulative superstar. Barry hits every note here, except for a very silly dance party she hosts where she performs the "Twist". Geez...it's so awful. I can forgive this stupid scene though, because Barry is so good for the majority of this episode. There is quite a bit of cliched Hollywood vocabulary tossed about, too. But I can personally just dismiss it as dated dialogue.

There is quite a shocking special effect shot at the end of this. It reminded me a lot of the very freaky final vision in "The Cheaters". There is also a very poor effect presented, an unfortunate pair of scary gloves that are supposed to look like wrinkled old witch hands.

Speaking of August Derleth, his original story apparently adds that the wigged Miss DeVore enjoys munching on the hearts of her victims. That doesn't happen in this episode, but it's something that I would have liked to have seen. This also had a "Twilight Zone" look to it, probably due to the involvement of Director John Brahm.

And do I need to mention how great Karloff's introduction is here? This time he's nosing around a hangman's platform and stumbles upon the witch's wig.

My Rating: 8 - Very Good

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
I'm gonna go with 8 too on this one. Patricia Barry really carries this one well, loses some points for the twist scene and bad wrinkle gloves. The commentary on this one is good too, as they got Patricia Barry herself to take part in it. Interesting to hear about the entertainment industry back then. Funny how they say everybody is so great to work with until actors and actresses, directors, and writers get older and have nothing to lose anymore. That's when you get the REAL stories and they're usually pretty juicy. I like how Barry herself even laughed at the dancing scene but said the crew seemed to enjoy it after they were done filming it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:53 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

Patricia Barry really seemed to get typecast for a time when it comes to playing attractive "superficial" characters (luckily she's very good at it). There are her two comical TWILIGHT ZONES where she's adored by a likeable man she wants nothing to do with, and in one of her ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR ones she plays an actress preoccupied with her image (just like here). And in the really wild suspense film KITTEN WITH A WHIP she plays a busybody who gets on John Forsythe's last nerve.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:47 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I just saw it for the first time in a very long while.
A few things surprised me, like some of the "pushing the envelope" language, like "Get this female mutt out of here!" Maybe it isn't VERY strong, but a little surprising.
And the make-up at the end is pretty graphic.
I'm often terrible at spotting these things, but it's easy to see a fictional version of Hedda Hopper in that columnist, including the huge hat. And when she wears that blonde wig at the beginning, Patricia Barry looks like she's imitating Jayne Mansfield.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:42 pm 

Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
A few things surprised me, like some of the "pushing the envelope" language...

Why, what ever do you mean, TBFBL?

Gotta love the time of filming references as you spotted. Hedda and possibly Mansfield, or even Mamie Van Doren.

Gotta agree with the Make-up Effects. Better budget than either TOL or AHP and pretty dang shocking for the time. You just didn't see these types of effects on tv from this era. They would have been censored just a year or two earlier.