Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:34 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
What follows are some miscellaneous thoughts on a few things I have been thinking about lately, and been meaning to post about here.
For various reasons I haven't but, tonight I felt like it.

Here recently in and around where I live, I have gotten into the habit of wearing my iPod everywhere I go.
Most often, I tend to wear it to stores and shops when I am out picking things up.
This has been going on more and more, and now I feel naked without it and here is why........

A few days back, I cruise down to the local Food Lion/grocery store chain and select a few items.
Nothing out of the ordinary, mostly vegetables, chicken, rice, peanut butter etc. (yeah I eat healthy so what)
As usual I have my iPod on, and listening to music. (or either fantasy football podcasts)

I get to the cashier, they say "How are you" and I sort of nod like I usually do.
Lets face it, I don't much care what these people have to say. They are mostly there to take my money, which is expected.
But a bunch of small talk, which is generally preceded by a 5-10 minute wait for an open register is not what I am there for.
I just don't much care what America's most wanted thug #1 has to say. (and that ain't racist either moron, I'm talking about whites too)
Also realize there are normally 2-3 other employees congregating around telling stories about their boyfriend or girlfriend, while there is a long line at one register, and 5 other registers simply closed. :~}

Now is where it gets interesting.
I pay my bill, the cashier gives me my change and I say "thank you".
(on that note, I ABSOLUTELY DETEST the habit those stores make their cashiers get into of handing you a receipt, then slopping the change over it and giving you a wad)
Thats bullshit. I don't want some $13.46 receipt in my pocket, and I tend to have my money sorted in there to boot.
Regardless, when I walk out (since I have my iPod on low) I hear some random asshole woman behind me go to the cashier "that was rude". (and I hear some muttering about wearing earphones in public etc)
Oh really???? I did say thank you before I left bitch.

So how would any of you respond to this..........
I figured best not to cause a scene, but in an effort to get my "rude" point across now I quickly figured what I would do.
:dance: :twisted: :dance:

I turned around, and just stood and stared at the woman, plainly letting her know I heard what she said.
After about 15 seconds of uncomfortable silence for her and the cashier, I turned and walked out.

THEN I stood and waited outside (where the woman couldn't see me while she was still in the store, so she wouldn't expect it), and I gave her the same "stop, stand and stare" until she got in her car and left.
I'm sure she was uncomfortable, but thats not the point.

Why is it any of her business if I choose not to listen to her (or any random stranger in public) typical everyday bullshit.??

I suppose I have slowly became a function of todays society. Electronics, iPods, phones etc. etc.
I am normally on the phone, or I have my iPod going otherwise.
Is it rude I don't want to talk about the f@%king weather, what time the cashier gets off, how much overtime he/she has worked this week???
I would rather listen to something that affects me, even if it is only something trivial like whether or NOT Rob Gronkowski plays for my fantasy team this week.
Is it not "all about her" when she bitches about working too many hours? Or what time she gets off?
Seriously think about this.
So others can speak or whine about something affecting them, but yet when I want to do what I want,(and not involve them/use my iPod) why is that considered rude?

Generally I am a quiet guy in public, and tend to stay to myself or close to my friends, even in bars and nightclubs etc.
Fellow board members Alsunday and meatbag may disagree, but in the poker games (where they mostly see me) is a bit different. You sort of HAVE to interact a bit, and keep it lighthearted or else the games are just no fun and become a desperate struggle for money, and overall a "not-so-enjoyable" experience.

I suppose part of this, is I am not very stingy with the little bit of money I do have. But the thought of waiting in a "long line??" to actually spend it in stores, irks me a little. Especially when most often you can be in and out and on your way, if several registers are open and people are actually doing what they are f@%king paid to do. :wtf:

I have written about my dislike of waiting in line to spend my money somewhere here on the board before.

Whilst I am a quiet person generally and tend to stay to myself in public, I am a prince~! I am still courteous in general. :)
It just pisses me off, that no matter what you do or how you act for some people, its just never enough.

A few shrewd others (SVB ,maybe) may see the time stamp on this post and figure I have been out drinking.
Nothing is further from the truth. I stayed in tonight and I'm stone cold sober.
But beware........ I wore my iPod while typing this post. Is that rude also?

There will be more in this thread later.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:36 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

:wtf: Telling people that they are rude, is rude. :|

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I don't think that it is rude to wear earbuds in public, but there are people who do think it's wrong. And, there's nothing you can do about that. I guess it can come off as rude sometimes but everybody's so self-centered anyway. Whenever you talk to someone, they just blab about themselves. I think it's the Facebook factor. Really, I don't give a shite about what you had for dinner, where you went on vacation or your cute little friggin' dog.

I don't usually keep both of my earphones in when I'm in a spot where I have to interact with someone, but there are times when I'll just wear one, especially if I'm listening to a podcast.

I used to be a people liker. As time goes on though, I'm losing my tolerance. I'm no brain surgeon or anything, but damn, the majority of people are dumb as fence posts. I don't know if it's too much of the Candy Crush app, Kim Kardashian's big ass, or Facebook, but no one knows what the f**k is even going on anymore.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:55 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
I don't think that it is rude to wear earbuds in public, but there are people who do think it's wrong. And, there's nothing you can do about that. I guess it can come off as rude sometimes but everybody's so self-centered anyway. Whenever you talk to someone, they just blab about themselves.

I snipped a bit of this away, but its my point exactly.

Its a ME ME ME society. To the point where everyone just thinks that its so much about them, that when someone else does it, its looked at as rude.
Guess what people, you aren't the only one dealing with life's problems.
You can't have it both ways jackass (general public).......... You want people to listen to every move you make and thought you have, but when someone else wants the same "consideration/listening???" then its rude, because it isn't "all about you" anymore.

God knows I am worried about TZ DZ Fan far more than the next guy, but on the same note I don't think its rude when someone else is looking out for #1, on whatever level....even if its only wanting the spotlight or center of attention.

Oddly enough whit, your sig banner is partially to blame for the original post here. (not in a bad way though)

I happened to click on your Twitter and MOG links, and it got me to thinking last night about how society has changed.
Using yourself as an example, 20 years ago would you have imagined yourself as a Twitter kinda guy? :)

Now that aside, I don't look at you in the same light as the general public, I think you can see where I'm going.
Its like you said, Facebook....Twitter....Myspace, all that social networking crap I have avoided in general.
I suppose our forum here is sort of a small extension of that, but in a much different way methinks.

I have been asked directly by several of my ex-girlfriends over the last few years, why I am not on Facebook.
Its probably cost me a bit of "action" if you get my drift. ;)
But I'm just not into it like so many others are. Its just too much drama for me really.

I look at Facebook as the biggest marriage breaker there ever was in the history of mankind.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:17 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Let me point out that while I do use Twitter, it is to follow others like a baseball writer, the MOG music service, a Twilight Zone podcast, the "Film Sack" podcast, and Ty Tabor (musician). I think I've tweeted about 50 times over the years. I've tried to tweet stuff and get into social networking, but it's just not that interesting.

I've also considered not typing up my silly movie reviews but writing is something I do a lot of in my job so the reviews keep me a little sharper. Plus, I like seeing what people who are cut from the same cloth entertainment-wise, think about a movie, TV show, etc.

I think posting here is different. It's a group of like-minded folks discussing things they enjoy (or hate). It's not broadcasting something you did to the entire world or to "friends" in your Facebook account that you don't even know.

Another thing, I love my iPod and Android phone and they allow me to bring things I enjoy with me. Being an IT guy, I love the technology. But I get disgusted when I see people using their phones at the stupidest times. Like last night. I was watching the very last inning of the Red Sox/Tigers game. The Sox were one out away from winning the pennant. The TV networks were panning the crowd, looking for reactions and the emotions from the fans. And I swear...half of the people had their faces buried in their phones. I'm sure they were Facebooking or Tweeting about how they were at the game, about to see the Sox win the title. But in the meantime, they aren't even enjoying what's playing out in front of them. What a great memory! Something to absorb, images and sounds to burn into your mind until the day you die. But no, instead it's "Look at me! Look at where I am! Don't you wish you were here!?!" Or they were likely tweeting to some f**king hash tag like #dumbassesAtRedSoxGame saying "I'm here...loving it!!!" or some such insipid thing.

I guess it's just like my mother-in-law and her obsession with taking pictures. She takes so many damned pictures that she misses out on the enjoyment of the actual event. She never gets to enjoy the occasion because she's so damned concerned about documenting everything for posterity. It's just stupid to me.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
whitsbrain wrote:
I used to be a people liker. As time goes on though, I'm losing my tolerance. I'm no brain surgeon or anything, but damn, the majority of people are dumb as fence posts. I don't know if it's too much of the Candy Crush app, Kim Kardashian's big ass, or Facebook, but no one knows what the f**k is even going on anymore.

Same here - Agreed 100%.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I have one about photos, and I think about it once a day lately, and it's people ambushing YOU with cameras against your wishes. That was big enough when taking photos was actually a procedure, but now it's usually a matter of pressing a button. People need to know that that just isn't a RIGHT. And someone being a relative doesn't MAKE it a right, any more than someone being a celebrity makes it one.

The second part of that is that in spite doing x amount of things like coming to this site, I'm still dreadfully computer illiterate, so I've never learned how to POST photos or pictures of any kind (the only reason I have an avatar here is because one of you was nice enough to give me one!). So that means that photos of me can show up on places like Facebook without my being asked (courtesy of people who DO know how to do that), but I still can't post photos of people, even though I'D be doing it with their consent! How's that for fair?

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:12 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Soccer Mom - 1
Tz Dz Fan - 0

Welcome to the Human Race.