Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
That Guy With The Glasses? Oh man, love him too, almost as much as AVGN. Have you watched any of his Nostalgia Critic videos. Those are even better than his 5 second movies IMO. Also, along similar lines, there's a guy called Pat the NES Punk who reviews old Nintendo games, but, unlike AVGN, plays good games as well, and sometimes bad ones, as opposed to the Nerd, who plays mostly bad and occasionally good games.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be

Link

You have to be a fameish fan to know someone like Steve Burns.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
This should put you in a melancholy mood - turn the sound up...
Link

Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:44 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Link

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:18 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

The story of Victor Martinez an inspirational one.

He has won many smaller shows, including a victory at The Arnold Classic in 2007. This is the second most prestigious bodybuilding show in the world, behind the Mr. Olympia.
He went from 2nd in the Mr. Olympia in 2007 (this show is easily the "Holy Grail" for bodybuilders), to suffering a catastrophic knee injury in 2008.
Then in 2009 a personal tragedy, as his sister was murdered by someone, and to my knowledge this individual was never caught.
-----She went to work in a building near the World Trade Center, where she cleaned offices, and never came out. No one knew what happened, until they found blood leaking from a ventilation shaft.
She was found bound and gagged, hand tied behind her back, feet and mouth taped, and on the 12th floor, whereas her cleaning cart was on the 8th floor. The autopsy confirmed that she died of asphyxiation by tape to her head and face.-----

2010 was supposed to be his "comeback year" but it just wasn't meant to be. He had a "relatively poor" showing late in the year at the Mr. Olympia, where he managed 8th I believe.

If you know anything about this game, a year or so off can really hold you back, and often bodybuilders never recover, and compete at the elite level again. (this was essentially TWO years scrapped) He is often criticized as not nailing his condition, right before the big shows.
What many outside of bodybuilding don't quite grasp, is they don't look "shredded" like that year round, only in the closing days before a major contest do they drop weight and get razor sharp.

Though 2008 and 2009 seemed to really hold him back, it seems as though his head is finally in the right place, now in 2011.
He recently finished 3rd at the Arnold Classic.
He is also training now with Oscar Ardon, one of the top minds in the business.

TZ DZ Fan

Victor Martinez' troubles continue, years later.

In 2011, he hit the pinnacle of his career, capturing a win in the very first "Arnold Classic Europe".
Upon returning back to the U.S. immigration officials were waiting for him at the airport, and took him directly into custody, stating "it will only be a matter of days", and that turned into over 7 months of detaining in prison, all over some unclear immigration problems.

After losing roughly 2 years away from the sport as noted above in my quoted post (right in his prime as a competitior), he now faced almost another full year away from the iron.

The guesses are he lost somewhere in the vicinity of 80 pounds of muscle, being locked up in prison.

This video below was right after he began training again after being released, somewhere around late May - early June 2012.

Link

After deciding there was no way he could bulk back up in time for the Mr. Olympia 2012 show, he decided to set his sights on the 2013 New York Pro show which is late May 2013. (next month)

He seemed to be making great progress late last year, when YET ANOTHER setback occurred in Mexico.
He flew there with sponsors to do some guest posing, sign autographs and promote some supplement product lines.
During audience interaction while posing for some pictures, he was involved in a freak accident and he broke his right arm.
(supposedly he was posing like he was arm wrestling a fan, and somehow his arm was broken as a fluke)
All this happened after the above video.

He is now supposedly making great progress once again training, and is one of the popular favorites to contend for the title at the NY Pro next month.

At 40 years of age, his time as a competitive bodybuilder is quickly running out.

Good luck to one of the nicest guys in the sport.

TZ DZ fan