It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:36 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Maybe we should make another thread on what everyone's favorite Blu-Ray film is?
I mean to say, which movie looks even more spectacular in Blu-Ray so on the Plasma big screen on the wall it will look even more awesome.....Thanks for askin' TZ DZ!

Hope that helps...

Whitsbrain was mentioning a while back a few movies that looked exceptional on Blu-Ray.
So he would be a good one to chime in here. I think the majority of us don't have Blu Ray players yet, so you are one of a priviledged few.

Hopefully the new TV is safely mounted away from "frustrated little woodrows", :D but I am assuming you made some arrangements/safeguards.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:21 pm 
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
The one I pointed you to is here - Click on this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2649425028

Wow. That TV flat out sucks, bro! Seriously, a 2,500:1 contrast ratio? That is garbage. Compare that to my TV's 50,000:1 DYNAMIC contrast ratio and the one that you posted is pathetic. I seriously hope nobody bought that one.

This is the TV I ended up buying:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5537514967

Best 40" TV on the market hands down. They make the exact same model in 46" and 52" versions as well.

I bought what was best for my own personal needs, that being the best 40" TV I could find. Anything bigger would be too much TV for my modestly sized living room. However, if I had the room and the money, this would be the TV I would buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5819843633

That is pretty much the greatest TV ever made in my opinion. Wow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:27 pm 

I am surprised that nobody here hasn't "yet" tried to argue about this.
Whit is the resident tv expert, as I know he hangs out at a more technical board on electronics sometimes. (I forget the name)

True - yours has a higher contrast ratio.
One must also realize that if you only got it 3 weeks ago, I am figuring it to be a newer model, perhaps rushed out for the holiday season.

Lets be fair, every 6-8 months you can buy a better TV,(even moreso in computers, thats pretty sad actually), and we originally started talking about these in May.

Also, as a general rule, woodrow was leaning towards something bigger than 42".
Certainly they may offer higher contrast ratios now, but for a long time, finding that in the very biggest models ( over 50 inch) was a rarity. Months later in the XMAS season, I am sure you can find more of them.

The TV I pointed woodrow towards, was a great choice,for the money he wanted to spend.
For all I know it might possibly even be a different model on that link now, I didn't check it again.

I do agree with you on Samsung. They make a great product.

How do I know? I own a 50 Samsung DLP and its sitting downstairs in my living room.
On that note - I like the DLPs alot.

I figure the Plasma tvs are good, but I would rather give them another year or 2 before I get one. Regardless of what anyone says, I have a friend that is a tech at BestBuy who personally told me that there are a higher number of "incidents" with plasmas than any other of the tvs. Regardless of brand.
Thats all I needed to hear on the subject of plasmas.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:35 pm 
I would never buy a plasma. My LCD 120 HZ is all I need.

And any higher end LCD flat panel TV with a high contrast ratio will blow any projection TV out of the water in terms of picture quality in a side by side comparison.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 pm 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
And any higher end LCD flat panel TV with a high contrast ratio will blow any projection TV out of the water in terms of picture quality in a side by side comparison.

I disagree with this.
It has also been shown that the LCD screens tend to degrade faster than DLPs, and in general the LCDs have a greater "pixellation" effect.(often called screendoor effect)

These articles explain alot of the differences....................

http://www.plus-america.com/papers.html

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectorLCDvsDLP.htm

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_g ... p_tvs.html

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:06 pm 
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I disagree with this.

It's okay to be wrong sometimes, Scott. ;)

Trust me, I've done three separate side by side comparisons to my TV (a high end LCD) with a TV like yours (a standard DLP) and the results are ridiculously one sided in favor of the LCD.

If DLPs are superior to LCDs then explain to me why the most comparable DLP to LCD that Samsung makes in size costs half as much as the LCD does? Explain that to me.

The best 50" DLP costs $999.99 -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2649765525

The best 40" LCD costs $1999.99 -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5537514967

The simple fact that the contrast ratio (the single most important thing when it comes to sheer picture quality) is TWENTY times greater on the LCD speaks volumes.

Explain to me how a TV that costs a thousand dollars is better than a TV ten inches smaller (and made by the same company) that costs two thousand dollars. There is no explanation because it simply isn't true.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:31 pm 

Sometimes you have to look deeper into the real technology behind these items rather than just compare prices in general. (in this case only one establishment/BestBuy)

But in general, I believe the pros outweigh the cons (when it comes to operation and lifespan) when it comes to standard DLP tvs.
This isn't always necessarily the case when it comes to LCDs.
If you would actually read the first 2 articles I linked to, then maybe you would see my point. (or at least why I feel this way)

Why are the LCDs more expensive at this point?
I think there are several reasons for this, not to mention that the general public is more familiar with the term "LCD". Simply put the average person will purchase something he has heard of faster than a product he is more unfamiliar with.
As someone who worked in sales ,(and also saw some marketing from behind closed doors), thats exactly how these companies think. "If we can charge more and get it,plus the public is more familiar with our product, then why not charge as much as we can? within reason"
I also think that as time goes on, LCDs will become more and more popular and also cheaper to produce.
Thereby leading to greater profits, while the DLPs will tend to be slowly phased out of production.

Does that mean I like LCDs, no, I would rather have what I purchased going on 2 years ago.

In perhaps another 5-6 years when I consider buying another TV, things will have changed. But now, I still think the DLPs have more to offer, and at a comparable price.

Does that mean I am right or wrong? No, and no amount of arguing is going to change my mind on this messageboard either, in regards to what I think is a superior product.... at least in todays market.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject: Re: Plasma or LCD HDTV?
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So basically, in a nutshell, the best way to go is LCD, Sony brand if I can afford it and Pioneer and Samsung are good alternatives if I can't? What size does it have to be at least? Like 40 inches or more? 50? At least how big should it be for me to really see that high def picture? And I know 1080p is the thing to look for too. It would be nice it sales guys could tell us this, instead of just trying to sell any piece of crap to us. How about stores? Is there any chain that's known for helpful customer service? I heard Kia and Saturn were good for buying cars, but Ford seems like an actual better car, for instance. Or I guess I could check websites with customer reviews?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
LED is the newest standard. Crisper than LCD with a truer black.

Size depends upon viewing area. If you have a small room - 20 x 20 - a 42" is fine where a 56" may create viewing issues.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:00 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So small room in the 40 inch range is fine. What about a larger living room? I have a decent sized one now and will probably eventually end up living in a studio apartment, so what would be good there? A 40 to 50 inch LED? And which brands are best? Pioneer, Samsung, Sony?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 pm 

Anthony wrote:
So small room in the 40 inch range is fine. What about a larger living room? I have a decent sized one now and will probably eventually end up living in a studio apartment, so what would be good there? A 40 to 50 inch LED? And which brands are best? Pioneer, Samsung, Sony?

In my opinion, this is a pretty easy one Anthony. :D

Note I said "my opinion"...........

You can get a decent TV from any of the major brands, and I wouldn't get caught up too much in the "sales hype".
That said, Samsung is still highly regarded in the business, and I still like the higher end Sony products alot. One thing about Sony though, is I noticed perhaps 15 years ago or more, that they began whoring down their prices to attract the "low end" of the customer range.
Being competitive is one thing, but continually slashing prices in an effort to undercut the next guy eventually leads to problems, and most certainly leads to a cheap quality product.
I worked for a large national mattress retailer for several years, and I saw the "cheap" aspects of sales up close and personal, and I also got a ground zero view, of what continuous price slashing and being overly competitive can do to your lower end products. Simply put it just degrades them down to a pitiful quality.
ON THAT NOTE - I don't blame a company for offering a "$7,000 new car" or a "$99 mattress set". I blame the public, as they are the ones who are more nitty when it comes to price, and their outrageous demands to continually cut prices hurt many retail operations.
I ALSO DON'T BELIEVE A "WE WILL MATCH ANY PRICE" POLICY IS GOOD FOR BUSINESS IN GENERAL EITHER , AND ACTUALLY HURTS THE PUBLIC
But thats not the main thrust of this post. :ROTF:

If you stick to a decent Sony or a Samsung you should be fine. I don't know as much about Pioneer, but they did the same "price slashing movement" I mentioned Sony did, except it was roughly 20 years ago.
I remember being a big car audio fan back in high school, and noting that about Pioneer.

2 different friends I have bought big screen LG tvs, and they are very happy. One has an LG in his enclosed patio tv viewing area, and its as nice as any TV I have ever seen. I am not sure how big that one is, but I believe its 40 or 42 inches.

One thing that I will tell you though ..........
For your first "big" TV, I would look around the 40 or 42 in. size level.
That is big enough for most average and even slightly bigger than average living rooms.

Whit can probably attest to this, as he is probably more of an electronic nerd than many of us (I use that term in a good way) :) ...........
Sitting in a sales room, and seeing a 60 inch tv is one thing, but people don't realize the difference it makes when you place that same size TV in your home.
Its all the difference in the world going from a huge showroom, to a generally smaller home.
The TV seems several sizes larger in your home, due to its generally in a smaller more enclosed environment.

From my personal experience, I bought a 50 in. Samsung and have been pleased with it. Trust me, I watch little to no TV, it might have been too much TV for my rare viewing downstairs, I generally watch most of my shows online now in my bedroom.

When I first got it, I had headaches for a few days, until I got a bit "adjusted" to watching it in my living room. It was as if my eyes were constantly moving in an effort to see what was happening all over the large screen.
Ultimately I moved my furniture back a bit from the TV as best I could, and that took care of it for the most part. 42 inches might have been a better size in my case.... and I just think thats big enough for most people.

Now I don't know how big your viewing area is, but most likely a 40 or 42 in. TV is enough.

I will say this though, you (and several members here) are bigger movie fans than I am and might enjoy it enough to go ahead and get a slightly bigger model if you have the space and viewing area for it.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:55 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I believe the scoop is one foot of screen for every two feet you are sitting away from the TV. That said, a well placed Google search will reveal about a million opinions. And that's just what it is, an opinion. You have to do what works for you.

Plasma Vs. LCD VS. LED?

Well, LED is better than LCD and you will pay for it. Deepest blacks and overall picture...Plasma is the best in my opinion.

If your a gamer, you may want to check into screen burn-in with plasmas. Not normally a problem anymore, but most prefer LED or LCD for gaming.

LED and LCD are going to use less energy than plasma if you are a "green" type of person. I am, but green as in greenbacks.

Brands? I support what TZ DZ said about not always looking for the lowest price. If you go Panasonic, Samsung. Sony, you are going to get a quality product. LG is just a notch below those. Visio is a good bargain TV, but beware of the Sylvania, Westinghouse, Apex bargain brands. As with all things, you get what you pay for.

From what I've read and heard, Panasonic makes one hell of a great plasma. LED, LCD...Samsung, Sony, Toshiba. Good stuff.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:37 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

I'm still in the twilight zone of the outer limits of Tube TV! :P

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:42 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

That's your TV? Cool, kicking it old school. :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 am 

Well, not too OLD. :D It's still in color.............. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:17 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ah okay cool. Does that thing even have a remote or cable? You must be treated like a social mutant like me, for not having a high def TV. Although with me, it's also because I don't currently own a cell phone, but hope to by the end of the year or an Ipod. So it's still land lines, standard definition and CDs for me, for now.

So, here's what I'll be going with for a TV. Either an LED from Panasonic, Samsung, Sony or Toshiba or a Panasonic Plasma. I've had a Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR combo and it's lasted me a few years and worked great, so I know they make a good product. The PS3 I'll be getting for Blu Ray, well Blu Ray exclusive extras for now and then I'll be able to see the difference when I get one of those HD models. For Blu Ray and the occasional new video game.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Hey, is this TV any good? 259 is a good price, but it's LCD. So, does that mean someday I can get a good LED or Plasma model for that kind of price?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-26LD350/13 ... 0032214660

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anthony wrote:
Hey, is this TV any good? 259 is a good price, but it's LCD. So, does that mean someday I can get a good LED or Plasma model for that kind of price?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LG-26LD350/13 ... 0032214660

LG is a good brand. Its a 720p, which is Hi-Def but not "all the way" Hi-Def , which is 1080p. That's okay though. 720p still looks damn good.

Someday you will be able to get LED or Plasma for that price, but by then something better than those technologies will come along and then will you want to wait for those to get cheaper? The way technologies change, especially in consumer electronics, you could be waiting forever if you wait for the next big thing.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I think if you're going to get an HDTV you should get one that's 1080p capable. Whit's right, 720p is very good, but if you're going for HD might as well go all out. For me, LCD, LED whatever. I'm happy with my LCD.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 pm 

I also heard if you want HD for sports or movies you need minimum 1080. I'm guessin that's why they are dropping 720's prices.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Beware The Creeper wrote:
I also heard if you want HD for sports or movies you need minimum 1080. I'm guessin that's why they are dropping 720's prices.

No networks broadcast in 1080p. Some networks broadcast in 720p and some in 1080i (neither are the same as 1080p).

I think ABC and ESPN broadcast in 720p. NBC and CBS in 1080i.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

What's the difference between 1080p and 10280i?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:24 pm 

1080p = 1,080 pixels per inch - like your computer monitor.

1080i = 1,080 interlaced lines like old Tube televisions. 540 white and 540 black lines that flicker.

For better crystal clarity - you want 1080p or better.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Yeah, I love having a 1080p capable tv, but I only get to use it while watching Blu-Ray. Why doesn't network television broadcast in 1080p yet?

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:28 pm 

Good question? I can only get 720p/i or 1080i. What gives? Where's the 1080p?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:23 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Okay so now I got 1080p LED Sony or Samsung, maybe Panasonic or Toshiba 42 inches or better, does that about sum it up?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:17 pm 

yeppers

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Thanks, so 32 to 40 inches is no good?

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 pm 

I want mention this...........
Remember that when viewing a tv in the store, its generally in a large room.... with high ceilings and walls very far apart.

What does this mean for you as a customer?

Well, the main thing is that a tv will seem smaller in the store than it does in your home.
I would think that a nice 42" tv is plenty for most people, and its about as big as you can comfortably fit, into MOST middle class "average" homes.
Now if you have a mansion etc., you may want to go into the 70" range, but I think you see my point.

I bought a 50" Sony DLP years ago, that I am extremely happy with. Hell I barely even use it though. :|

Truth be known, its a bit too big for my apartment though, and a 42" would have been every bit as nice, and not quite the space hog.

Tv prices seem to be falling by the day. Hell you can get a nice TV for probably about $600 or less, and 40" and bigger too.
It wasn't too long ago you had to shell out a slick $2000 for a nice 50" tv.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:50 pm 

Anthony wrote:

It depends upon your viewing distance from the Flat screen.

Average Rule for Flat screen to viewing distance: 20" for every 5 feet away (Viewing Distance.)

Example:
5 feet VD = 20"
6 feet VD = 24"
8 feet VD = 37"
10 feet VD = 40 ~ 42"
15 Feet VD = 50 ` 60"

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 am 

A friend of mine just texted me and wanted to know which one is the best to watch porn flicks on. :ROTF:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:35 pm 

Beware The Creeper wrote:
A friend of mine just texted me and wanted to know which one is the best to watch porn flicks on. :ROTF:

I'm thinkin' a jumbotron may be his best bet

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:11 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
Anthony wrote:

It depends upon your viewing distance from the Flat screen.

Average Rule for Flat screen to viewing distance: 20" for every 5 feet away (Viewing Distance.)

Example:
5 feet VD = 20"
6 feet VD = 24"
8 feet VD = 37"
10 feet VD = 40 ~ 42"
15 Feet VD = 50 ` 60"

So I'll probably go about 37-42.