Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Plasma or LCD HDTV?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:04 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Maybe this is a stupid question, but I put it to you anyway. WTH is the difference?
I read that Plasma televisions do not last as long as LCD HDTV..............................
Plasma TV's can be viewed from any angle, yet others say their LCD HD TV can be seen from any angle...
Plasma's cost about double or triple that of an LCD HDTV.....
why is that?

While we are at it why can't I find a DVD recorder that will actually work for more than a few months? We have had three combo VHS/DVD recorders and none of them last. Pieces of shite! We still have tons of VHS that our kids like so that is why we got the combo. Those are becoming scarce though--VHS/DVD combo's.
Then I read some of you are into the Blu-Ray discs now as well.......Blu-Ray? Are they that much better? Can one play our "old" DVD's on them? Tons of questions I know....

HELP!!

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
If you are going to purchase a new tv very shortly, then get an LCD, or even better - a DLP.

Reason- The plasmas are good, but they are still working out the kinks out of them, and I believe sometimes they still have problems with the images burning into the plasma screen, especially if left on for long periods of time.

Blu-ray vs DVDs???

Most Bluray players will play DVDs as far as I know, no problem. And they should be like that for many, many years to come.
But- current "DVD" players will not play the Blu-ray discs, as far as I know.

As a plus though, a Bluray player will help to make even your regular dvds look a bit better, or at least thats what I just read.

I know whit now owns a Bluray player, maybe he can speak up.


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:32 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
DLP? Oh for crying out loud!
Thanks for the tips....that is what I was leaning towards, the LCD instead of Plasma, especially since they are so damn much....$4-$5G's

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:39 am 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Plasma must be recharged every 18 Months regardless of use due to decomposition of the electrolytes. LCD doesn't need to be recharged.

Angle of viewing should be displayed on the specs. Typically you will see a +/- 88º Horizontal & Vertical rating on most any decent Flat screen Panel, regardless of LCD or Plasma. Having LCDs of different models really helps to give you an accurate decision.

Sony Bravia is sharp clean and can be seen from just about anywhere in my living room. It has a glass cover so everything stays sharp and pristine. In My Bedroom, we have a Vizio, membrane screen. About have the price of Sony a little difference without the plexi, but not enough to be overly concerned about. Depends upon your surroundings. I wanted the Plexi in the living room do to kids, animals, etc. Membrane in the Bedroom was very affordable and doesn't get the high traffic use so no fear of accidental damage. Most important aspect - Pixel Res. Both my tv's handle 1080p. Early versions handle 720 i or p and 1080i. (i = interlace and p = Pixels.) Always go for the p over i and try {pocket book providing} go with 1080p.

Vizio uses Toshiba parts and have had it for almost a year without any trouble. Toshiba model similar to it was about $50 more. It is inexpensive and a nice system for budget minded people. The Sony as stated more expensive but hard to beat crispness.

Wally Mart has a Magnavox DVR that is pretty dependable and less than $100.00. I got one to replace my POS Phillips and it's been working for over a year & a half without any problems. DVD/VHS combo's will always burn out quicker due to heat build-up. Also, side note, don't leave tapes in VCR's. The little LED that detects a tape only has a 1400 hour life expectancy. As long as a tape is in the player, it is clicking down on its life clock.

If you have a shite load of DVD's already, get a Pioneer upgrade DVD player. It will convert all your existing DVD's to 1080p. It won't play HD or Blue Ray - they make ones that do - but the base mode is $89.00 and plays DivX. Sony & JVC also offer these "Upgraders" but without DivX capability. Get the DivX model. Why? I can store 2 hours of DVD quality movies on a CD using DivX. That means, 10 Hours of movies on a standard DVD - which will get upgraded to HD by the player. Imaging putting all those Disney Sing-a-longs, Cartoons, TV Shows, etc on 1 dvd and plopping down without a bunch of disc changes. 10 hours of bliss.

Hope it helps,

DrM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
That last part had me laughing! 10 hours of bliss indeed! :lol:
Yes, it all helps...thanks!
What is your take on the DLP?
I had heard the Vizio is a good deal and good quality, this from the service guy at KIA....he suggested getting the price at Wally Mart and then going to Sears to have them match the price and then I can get the extended warranty that Sears has, which is a pretty smart thing to do.

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:52 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
DLP? Oh for crying out loud!
Thanks for the tips....that is what I was leaning towards, the LCD instead of Plasma, especially since they are so damn much....$4-$5G's


I picked up a Samsung DLP 50 inch a couple years back for about $2000.
At the time, it had some of the best reviews on the market for picture quality, etc. etc.

What it has been for the most part is a waste, as I barely watch it. Hell I don't even have the HD cable box yet, thats how little I watch it.

Honestly Gary, you can pick up all the tv you will ever need (well for about 7 years anyhow, thats pretty much about all you can expect from one anyway) for about $1500.

Click on this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2649425028

Here is a Samsung 56 inch, with all the specs you would want.
For a mere $1,399, and you should be able to find it cheaper if you sniff around. Thats already a great price, and one hell of a TV.

That might be a little big for you though, I have a 50 inch, and its realistically a little big.
You might want that or even a tad bigger though.

For my money, Sony (as DrM stated) or Samsung is hard to beat when it comes to tvs.
The rest of my surround sound and VHS and DVD player are all Sony though.


TZ DZ fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:54 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Hey, now that is a sweet looking thing! Thanks for that TZ!!

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:10 am 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
What is your take on the DLP?


Great picture but not intended for a family on a budget - cost prohibitive. I'd definitely go DLP over plasma for lots of reasons, including recharge and burn in issues inherent with Plasma. But being a family oriented man, I'd still go LCD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:32 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
I don't think I have even heard of the DLP anyway....!
Thanks for the info...

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:17 am 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
I don't think I have even heard of the DLP anyway....!
Thanks for the info...


DLP = Digital Light Projection aka Rear Projection.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
d'oh!
Image

Hey DrM--could we get a emoticon of Homer saying that?? Whaddya think?

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:06 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
OK, I go into Wally Mart tonight and boy those Blu-Rays are pretty awesome looking....I hadn't really checked them out before. So my question for those are this: DO they have machines that record DVD's as well?
I know DVD's play on the Blu-Ray, but if I want to record stuff on DVD can one do that with BLu-Ray? I mean hell how much stuff does one need in the living room? :lol:

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:39 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Blue Ray Burners are about 2.5x the cost of the player. Then the DVD's themself are about $5 ~ $10 each.

Now, if you get a PS3 - you get a game center and a blue ray player :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:41 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
...my son would be all over that....

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:55 pm 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:03 am
Posts: 306
I have a 42" Sharp Aquos LCD tv and a sharp Blu-Ray player; a PS3 80gig machine as well. Blu-Ray is the shizit!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:40 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Nice to see you postin' NY!!! So you like the Sharp brand then and are happy with both....
I wonder WTH those Blu-Ray discs will start coming down in price,.....most are $30!
I was in Wally Mart the other day and they were playing previews to the film Spiderwick Chronicles and that looked pretty cool....

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:16 am 
Offline
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:03 am
Posts: 306
Yeah, you can see the price of Blu Rays already starting to drop--I just pre-ordered Batman Begins for $19 and scooped up Cloverfield for $22. The best thing about the Blu-Ray format is that through their hard coating process, it makes the surface of the disk scratch and fingerprint resistant, so buying "used" disks is like getting brand new ones with a little dust on them. You can get PS3 games for like $20-30 if you don't mind waiting a few weeks for the newness of the title to wear off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:53 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
OK, more confusion: In looking at these LCD's we have come upon another dilemma, for example:
Samsung 52" 3199.99 at Sears! Yikes! Why so high? I think if must be this T o C = "Touch of color" it advertises.....is this necessary?
I think we saw a Sony much cheaper at Best Buy.
Sony has fliers in the paper lately and yesterday's paper had this one that has "Bravia" also 52" LCD and this is $2999.99 (Now I read the Bravia info above DrM, but just curious how this other one is $1,000 better?!)....

Anyone know the breakdown on these two? I have read some stuff on these, but it is all gibberish to me, they all sound great, but why put out the cash for this stuff? Just curious what you all know about these two?
Thanks!

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:38 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
OK, more confusion: In looking at these LCD's we have come upon another dilemma, for example:
Samsung 52" 3199.99 at Sears! Yikes! Why so high?


OK, rather than get bogged down in all the "unneccessary" details, its like this woodrow.

You are looking for a TV right?
The main thing is to possibly find the size you want, and in (or at least close) to your "price range".

Obviously, you want to get the best picture, all the bells and whistles you need for the cheapest price.
Perfectly understandable.


But if you want to look through all the specs, at each and every tv out there, you are going to end up going blind looking at all the numbers, and it could be months before you make yourself finally pull the trigger.


In general, you can get all the tv you are going to ever need or want for less than $2000 realistically.

The one I pointed you to is here - Click on this - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 2649425028

The only thing DrM said, is its a DLP.
Believe me, that is NOT a drawback, merely yet another choice.
I think he was simply stating that in general, the LCDs are cheaper in price than the DLPs.

The only thing that could even be close to a drawback with this, is that it isn't truly a "flat screen".
So what, my tv from back to front is only like 18'' deep from back to front.
It certainly isnt one of those large "box" style tvs, and is thin enough for me.

The above one I referred you to is 56'' (thats damn large if you aren't used to a screen that size),and a mere 14.5 inches from back to front. Very thin and compact if you ask me, and a great price at $1399.
It also has everything you would be looking for at a "relatively" cheap price.

Just a couple years ago, Samsung was getting awards from all the magazines for "best tv, best picture" etc. etc.
So you don't have to worry about quality.

I am not trying to be a "samsung spokesperson" or salesman, but its crazy when you are entertaining buying a TV for double and almost triple the price, when thats one Hell of a tv for the money.

The one thing you would have to do is buy a stand for it, and you can get those relatively cheap at WalMart or somewhere like that.


Maybe I am missing something, are you trying to spend less than $1400?

Its going to be tough to find everything you seem to be looking for, for less than that, thats for damn sure.
Hey, you could always stop into a local BestBuy, what have you got to lose right?


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:48 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
3199.99
-2999.99
-----------
$200.00

Nothing wrong with DLP. I only mentioned it stood for Digital Light Projection aka Rear Projection as it is more commonly known.

Both Samsung & Sony are good reputable brand names. Toshiba is also very reliable, my old 36" screen lasted me 19 years with kids and animals.

Touch of Color is in reference to the outer casing (Bevel Plastic Case). Instead of a flat black outer shell, they have given you a high polish with a pearlized coat. Now, if you are into interior decorating, that is a great option, it will match your baby grand piano. If you are anal about your decor - yep, that would be a good thing to look into. But if the bevel glossiness makes no difference to you - it's a wasted $200.00.

DrM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:11 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
DrMoreau wrote:
Instead of a flat black outer shell, they have given you a high polish with a pearlized coat. Now, if you are into interior decorating, that is a great option, it will match your baby grand piano. If you are anal about your decor - yep, that would be a good thing to look into. But if the bevel glossiness makes no difference to you - it's a wasted $200.00.
DrM



LMAO!!! :ROTF: That is truly funny as hell Doc!
Well, shite I'm certainly not Liberace and need a f@*k'n "pearlize" outer shell!
TZ DZ is absolutely right though as we keep looking at this and looking at that, until we get the old stimulus check you see, and we get more confused as the days and months drag on.....We just thought it would be nice to splurge a little on a tv that we could hang on the wall (out of the way of the child with special needs, so he doesn't pound on the screen like the one we have now with a crack in it...)
plus maybe get a blue-ray to boot. I saw previews to that Spiderwick Chronicles and that looks frickin awesome on Blue-Ray! That alone makes me want to get the Blue Ray as well to go along with the LCD.

Yeah TZ, that link to Best Buy is the best deal we have seen and I wasn't belittling what you all have already said, just saw these two ads over the weekend and now know to ignore them!
We will probably take the Best Buy link to Sears and have them match the price so we can then get Sears' warranty as they have an awesome extended warranty where they come out to the house once a year to service it. We have one of those gigantor 52" TV's that they come out and service and a few times have had to replace very expensive bulbs and whistles......

So, thanks again for all your input guys it helps tremendously. I use to be so hip on all this stuff, but just don't have time and would rather get input from you all.
Thanks again :clap:

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:27 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:

TZ DZ is absolutely right though as we keep looking at this and looking at that, until we get the old stimulus check you see, and we get more confused as the days and months drag on.....We just thought it would be nice to splurge a little on a tv that we could hang on the wall (out of the way of the child with special needs, so he doesn't pound on the screen like the one we have now with a crack in it...)
plus maybe get a blue-ray to boot.


Now see, this is where I wasn't f@%king thinking. I had forgot about all that.
You definitely want to buy something you can wall mount, and keep out of the way of children who get a bit "frustrated".

I had forgotten about that.

This brings up a whole new set of things to consider, but mainly only something you can wall mount!
BY the way- I wouldn't consider that a "splurge", I would consider getting something wall-mountable mandatory. You might want to also mention to your wife that possibly spending a couple hundred extra up front to achieve this, is in a sense "protecting" your investment and honestly it may save you trouble and warranty issues down the road. (not to mention keeping the tv out of harms way)
This will help the entire family including all the little woodrow mulligans around. :D

BTW- I used to be in sales................so I recognized exactly what you were thinking about looking "here and there and everywhere". I dealt with people like this all the time, so the sirens went off.

What people need to realize, is that its not always about "splitting hairs and making the best thorough buyers decision" for the most part.
Just look at what you want to spend, the general specifications/bells and whistles you are looking for, and go from there.
I have seen so many people over the years literally drive themselves crazy.Driving all over town, getting caught up in going place to place trying to save a mere $20 or less, that in the long run, if you had taken just a few extra minutes up front and tried to NOT look at every damn thing under the sun,, then you would have saved alot of headache, and ended up getting a suitable product, without all the hassle OR high blood pressure.
They are so worried about getting "ripped off" out of an extra $20, that they end up spending way more than that in time, effort, gas, and mental anguish.

Believe me, I dealt with people that had more money than some of us will ever dream of having too.

Let me see if I can find something "wall-mountable" and I will post it here as soon as possible.


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow, you might want to register and check out this site.

http://www.avsforum.com/

Although they can be a bit technical, they seem to be extremely helpful to new posters, and I am sure could answer your questions better than I.
Hell, they could probably tell you where to get the best tv for the least amount of $$$ also!

I figure you are going for the wall mounting......... Do you plan on mounting your tv to the wall yourself? I assume this is the case, unless you buy everything up front, including on spending the money to have someone mount it for you.

TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:02 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Glad I brought a chuckle to lighten your heart, Woodrow. :D

Now, having a shite load of practical experience with wall mounts, you need to know 4 things. Have a good level, have a tape measure, have a good stud finder - and no, not your wife - and most importantly, a good power screw driver/drill.

Most houses and buildings have a wall stud every 16". So if you start from the corner of the room, you can measure and calculate it - then use the stud finder to verify. Drill a 1/8" hole at the approximate height you plan to put the 1st mount and verify that you are in wood. Use your level and mount to adjust your 2nd hole. Do the same for the other mount, attach your bracket to the TV and have your wife help lift it on to the mount. All in all, 30 minute to a hour job.

Now, if you are in no way handy or craft oriented, pay someone to do it for you. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Thanks gents! :D

Hey TZ DZ, I believe that original link to Best Buy would be wall mountable as well though, right? It looks like it would anyway...

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Thanks gents! :D

Hey TZ DZ, I believe that original link to Best Buy would be wall mountable as well though, right? It looks like it would anyway...


Well its not completely flat.
Its 14.5 from back to front, so its not a real flatscreen.

But for the difference in money, Hell I would build a shelf specifically for the tv in that case.
Or somehow mount it, that little bit of difference in viewing area is only going to affect the sides.


Depends on what you want I guess................some people might not want something protruding out from the wall that far.

You could always put it in a corner, as I did in my townhome. It fits in fine in my case... AND you can see the tv from all over the living room! I still have plenty of room for a leather sofa and recliner, a "coffee table" type thing, and another small table beside the recliner.
Surround sound,dining table, and a stand with a clean air machine on it to boot.
You may have a bit more furniture though as you have a bunch of little woodrows running around.

There are wall mountable LCDs to be had, but they are going to be a bit more expensive, and in my opinion, the linked-to tv above is a better tv.

Speaking of that..... if I were you, I would get me a very tall stand, or either some type of wall brace, and just make sure you kept it out of reach of the kids.
Not only is it cheaper, its a better tv and more bang for your buck if you ask me.

You know, if you asked around, I am sure you could find someone more than willing to help you out in your situation with "special needs". I figure a tall stand can't be too expensive, and you can probably find someone to build it for you, and not charge you too much if you explain the whole situation.

There are plenty of carpenters looking for work and odd jobs right now with the pitiful economy, and they could make you something decent in less than a day.

Just a thought.

TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:30 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Good ideas and thoughts...thanks again.... :D

WOW! BTW, we made it to another page and you were on top there bro....top o' da page beatch that you are! :P

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:16 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
OK, guys, went to Sears and they don't go as high as a 56"......went to Best Buy and the guy there said Plasma's do not need to be re-juiced every 18 months or whatever, says they have worked those kinks out!
Said Pioneer then Panasonic rate 1 and 2 respectively......that is the newest news I got today....whaddya think?

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:32 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
OK, guys, went to Sears and they don't go as high as a 56"......went to Best Buy and the guy there said Plasma's do not need to be re-juiced every 18 months or whatever, says they have worked those kinks out!
Said Pioneer then Panasonic rate 1 and 2 respectively......that is the newest news I got today....whaddya think?


My opinion............

Plasma = extra $$$ for no reason. The very slight difference in picture isn't worth the probably additional $1,000.(or so)
Regardless of what that salesman said, it is still very early in the evolution of plasma. I am sure it should be OK, but I wouldn't chance it at this point.

After all, you are supposed to replace TVs every 7 years or so.


I am wondering what DrM has to say about this.

TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:26 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
As TZ DZ said, it isn't worth the bucks. Although I do love Pioneer products - their TV's are damn pricey. $2700 for a 42" Then a jump to 4k for a decent 50" Granted thier new line is impressive but for 1500 you get HD, Clean Picture, & 52". As a father just like you Woodrow - 3 grand is going to be buyers regret. And let me tell you why.

Standard digital cable is still only 480i. You have to upgrade to HD cable to truly appreciate it. Or go satellite - my suggestion. Then the Blue Ray DVD - Pioneer or Samsung are probably the best deal for the buck. Love Sony but still haven't dropped their price since they won the war. As stated, get the player with the DVD upgrader chips so you don't have to rush out and replace your existing collection to enjoy HiDef. Now you need your surround sound 7.1 system. So, for $3k - you can have a TV with HD. Or a Bigger HD TV, Blue-Disc Player, HD Digital Satellite, & a 7.1 Surround Sound System for $3k. I know which way I'd go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:44 pm 
User avatar
Any advice for me, guys? I'm looking for a new television just for my bedroom. I want at least a 26" but no bigger than a 32" because that would be overkill. I mostly just want to watch DVDs and play video games on it. I don't watch television at all nor do I even have cable or satellite or anything like that. I want to spend no more than $750 out the door. Any suggestions?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Any advice for me, guys? I'm looking for a new television just for my bedroom. I want at least a 26" but no bigger than a 32" because that would be overkill. I mostly just want to watch DVDs and play video games on it. I don't watch television at all nor do I even have cable or satellite or anything like that. I want to spend no more than $750 out the door. Any suggestions?



32 '' and less, let me see what I can dig up, give me a couple of days.



TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:35 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Any advice for me, guys? I'm looking for a new television just for my bedroom. I want at least a 26" but no bigger than a 32" because that would be overkill. I mostly just want to watch DVDs and play video games on it. I don't watch television at all nor do I even have cable or satellite or anything like that. I want to spend no more than $750 out the door. Any suggestions?



Vizio
32" LCD HDTV
Tuner: Integrated NTSC/ATSC/QAM
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Contrast Ratio: 1100:1
Response Time: 8ms

$599.99
Item # 320010
Shipping & Handling: $17.95 *

Go to costco.com, this is where this one is.

A friend of mine has a "Vizio" from Costco, and he has had it for over 2 years and he is very happy with it.
Its in his game room, with a pool table, bar, etc. etc......... He doesn't use it every night, but several times a week, and HD is always being seen.


For that price, I doubt you could go wrong.

The "Costco warranty" is the best. Any problems for like 6 months - 1 year, just bring it back and free replacement, no questions asked.
The warranty may even be longer.
Far less than what you want to spend, and the biggest size you wanted. How nice~!


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:37 pm 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 2855
Location: Land of 10,000 Dipsh*ts
My Mood: Mean
I want to chime in here but every time I start talking about this stuff I go on and on.

Let me just say that you can't go wrong with plasma. They don't have to be "recharged" or whatever you had heard. The viewing angle is superior to LCD or DLP. Plasma also does great with blacks, they aren't dark grey or blue. I have a 42" plasma and a 50" DLP. Both look great, but DLP is rear projection so you have to sit right in front of it. My DLP has required some maintenance that I have done myself. I had to put in a new lamp (expected) and a new color wheel (unexpected). Labor would have cost me about $500 to have it done. My DLP is five years old. I don't think they use the same technology anymore.

720p or 1080p? I would go 1080p if you can afford it. That said, I can't really tell too much of a difference. Of course my eyes could be junk, too.

If you can, try to get a TV with a couple of HDMI inputs. A second one is handy.

Pioneers are nice, especially the Kuro line. But they are pretty much overpriced. I have Samsungs and I like them. You can't go wrong with Panasonic. I can't speak to Sony.

_________________
Twitter | Letterboxd | Podcast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:21 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Ok guys, after careful consideration and your suggestions....we went ahead with the Plasma, Samsung 50" 1899.99 at Best Buy, which was over $1,000 less than the Pioneer, and to our eyes the Samsung looks better. The guys at BB really were pushing the Pioneer (of course costs more) and the Panasonic (again costs more). To the wife and I we thought the Samsung had a damn fine picture.
The other reason we went with the Plasma is they have the protective cover on them that the LCD do not. And with that child of ours, hung in the air or not, we wanted a little more protection. So, unknown to me, Whitsbrain here recommends the Samsung as did TZ DZ earlier and DrM as well.
A manager type came over and tried to talk into the more expensive one while the salesman was in the back! Can you believe that! I'm like, WTH do you sell the Samsung if you are gonna dog them? Besides, I have my own Geek Squad here on the PTE!!!
Let's hear it for the boys at PTE!!!! :clap:
Thanks again for all the help.....ongoing as it is!

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:48 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Congrats on making that decision! :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:10 am 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 2855
Location: Land of 10,000 Dipsh*ts
My Mood: Mean
BTW, anything and everything you need to know about home theater can be found at this discussion board:

www.avsforum.com

_________________
Twitter | Letterboxd | Podcast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:43 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
whitsbrain wrote:
BTW, anything and everything you need to know about home theater can be found at this discussion board:

www.avsforum.com


I actually pointed him directly to that site, earlier in this thread.

But I don't exactly know how "newbie friendly" that type of forum would be, as it seems rather high-end.
More of the real tech geeks, as opposed to someone like woodrow or most of us.

I didn't really snoop around the site much to be fair though...........
Are you a member? Sounds like you might be.


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:16 pm 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Who needs that forum though, when one has the experts on hand here at PTE!! :clap: :D
And I thank you again!!!

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 am 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 2855
Location: Land of 10,000 Dipsh*ts
My Mood: Mean
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:
BTW, anything and everything you need to know about home theater can be found at this discussion board:

www.avsforum.com


I actually pointed him directly to that site, earlier in this thread.

But I don't exactly know how "newbie friendly" that type of forum would be, as it seems rather high-end.
More of the real tech geeks, as opposed to someone like woodrow or most of us.

I didn't really snoop around the site much to be fair though...........
Are you a member? Sounds like you might be.


TZ DZ Fan

Yes, I am a member. Sometimes newbies that post on avsforum get razzed a bit. Its best to lurk there and read up on things before asking a question. Many there don't like when something gets asked for the 100th time. But there is tons of good info; really everything you could need to know and more.

_________________
Twitter | Letterboxd | Podcast


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:34 pm 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm
Posts: 2261
My Mood: Neutral
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
OK, guys, went to Sears and they don't go as high as a 56"......went to Best Buy and the guy there said Plasma's do not need to be re-juiced every 18 months or whatever, says they have worked those kinks out!
Said Pioneer then Panasonic rate 1 and 2 respectively......that is the newest news I got today....whaddya think?


My opinion............

Plasma = extra $$$ for no reason. The very slight difference in picture isn't worth the probably additional $1,000.(or so)
Regardless of what that salesman said, it is still very early in the evolution of plasma. I am sure it should be OK, but I wouldn't chance it at this point.

After all, you are supposed to replace TVs every 7 years or so.


I am wondering what DrM has to say about this.

TZ DZ Fan


You are? Remember when stuff used to be more durable? You know, people would have the same car for like 7 to 10 years, the same VCR for 10-15 years, the same TV for at least 20? It pisses me off that's more difficult to accomplish. Anyway, I mention this because I've had the same stereo TV since about 1992. So if I ever get a new one, it sounds like LCD would be the way to go. DLP sounds pretty good too. What is rear projection? How does that differ from like front projection or whatever the other kinds are called. I mean, does it look a lot different. Better or worse? Any pics with side by side comparisons anywhere online?

I'm actually old enough to remember the end of the era when some people still bought small black and white TVs, usually for work or as a second TV for the bedroom and towards the end of the era before most people had remote controls or if they did, they plugged into the TV so as kids we'd sit right in front of the TV so we could turn the dial real fast. Then, inevitably, you'd break the dial and have to turn the little piece behind the knob with your hand or use pliers or a wrench or something. Ah, good times :) . Memories, I will enjoy them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:24 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Anthony wrote:

You are? Remember when stuff used to be more durable? You know, people would have the same car for like 7 to 10 years, the same VCR for 10-15 years, the same TV for at least 20? It pisses me off that's more difficult to accomplish. Anyway, I mention this because I've had the same stereo TV since about 1992. So if I ever get a new one, it sounds like LCD would be the way to go. DLP sounds pretty good too. What is rear projection? How does that differ from like front projection or whatever the other kinds are called. I mean, does it look a lot different. Better or worse? Any pics with side by side comparisons anywhere online?

I'm actually old enough to remember the end of the era when some people still bought small black and white TVs, usually for work or as a second TV for the bedroom and towards the end of the era before most people had remote controls or if they did, they plugged into the TV so as kids we'd sit right in front of the TV so we could turn the dial real fast. Then, inevitably, you'd break the dial and have to turn the little piece behind the knob with your hand or use pliers or a wrench or something. Ah, good times :) . Memories, I will enjoy them.


Calling DrM..................calling DrM...................


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:51 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
:sparkle: The Doctor is In :sparkle:

I concur with you Anthony - those halcyon days of long ago were truely stoneage in todays world, but built to last. Hell, growing up, we (kids) were the remote control. I had my 36" screen in the Living Room and 28" in the bedroom for about 16 years. The 36" eventually gave up the ghost when I could no longer get parts for the inside. I bought the 42" Sony Bravia. A year or 2 later, I got the 37" Vizio LED Membrane for the Bedroom just before/after Christmas. Both have 1080p capability, great picture and space saving. The Bravia is a better unit, but visually, both have +/- 89º viewing angle in horizontal and vertical positioning.

I, personally, am still not sold on Plasma. I've seen too many and know too many failures with those units. As a salesman told Woodrow, they may have got some bugs worked out, but until the field models I see survive the test of time, I can't recommend them. Whit and Woodrow have them, so in a year or 2, I'm sure they will have a very informed judgement call on them. However, here is the breakdown on LCD vs Plasma.

LCD Display Advantages
    Good color reproduction and improving contrast (high contrast tied to peak brightness capability)
    Very thin, getting thinner
    Relatively lightweight with flexible mounting options
    Perfect sharpness at native resolution
    Excellent longevity
    Among the brightest direct view displays
    No practical screen burn-in effect
    Silent with no moving parts or fans

LCD Display Disadvantages
    Notorious "screen door" effect on smaller mobile displays
    Very difficult to produce deep blacks (LED backlighting does improvie this situation)

Plasma Advantages
    Excellent (real) contrast ratios and black levels
    Excellent color reproduction
    Excellent life expectancy
    Excellent viewing angle with no real loss of color or contrast

Plasma Disadvantages
    Fairly heavy
    Soon destined to be thicker than LCDs by a large margin, barring some practical technical advances
    Susceptible to screen burn-in (new models compensate with Energy Star features)
    Lower real peak brightness
    Uses a lot of power compared to LCD


DLP/Rear Light Projection is almostlike a standard CRT TV with half the back cut off. Instead of bombarding the membrain internally, they shine the image to the screen. In the old days, the did it from the fron and it had a fuzz and clarity loss, kinda like an 8mm projector. However, take that concept and place the projector inside the box and behind the screen. It is similar to a mirrored image. Play back a video on a cpu screen, it looks a little pixelated. Place a mirror about 6 feet back and view the mirrored image, it is clear, although inverted. Imagine that the image in a DLP starts inverted and then is mirror rectified to proper viewing. Sharp clear image. That is pretty much DLP.

All in all, as time progresses, some of these technologies will fade away and others will continue. In a few years, standard CRT will be off the market after 60+ years. It went from tubes to transistors, mono to stereo to Surround, bubble screen to convexed to flat, etc.

Hope it helps,

DrM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:24 pm 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm
Posts: 2261
My Mood: Neutral
DrMoreau wrote:
:sparkle: The Doctor is In :sparkle:

I concur with you Anthony - those halcyon days of long ago were truely stoneage in todays world, but built to last. Hell, growing up, we (kids) were the remote control. I had my 36" screen in the Living Room and 28" in the bedroom for about 16 years. The 36" eventually gave up the ghost when I could no longer get parts for the inside. I bought the 42" Sony Bravia. A year or 2 later, I got the 37" Vizio LED Membrane for the Bedroom just before/after Christmas. Both have 1080p capability, great picture and space saving. The Bravia is a better unit, but visually, both have +/- 89º viewing angle in horizontal and vertical positioning.

I, personally, am still not sold on Plasma. I've seen too many and know too many failures with those units. As a salesman told Woodrow, they may have got some bugs worked out, but until the field models I see survive the test of time, I can't recommend them. Whit and Woodrow have them, so in a year or 2, I'm sure they will have a very informed judgement call on them. However, here is the breakdown on LCD vs Plasma.

LCD Display Advantages
    Good color reproduction and improving contrast (high contrast tied to peak brightness capability)
    Very thin, getting thinner
    Relatively lightweight with flexible mounting options
    Perfect sharpness at native resolution
    Excellent longevity
    Among the brightest direct view displays
    No practical screen burn-in effect
    Silent with no moving parts or fans

LCD Display Disadvantages
    Notorious "screen door" effect on smaller mobile displays
    Very difficult to produce deep blacks (LED backlighting does improvie this situation)

Plasma Advantages
    Excellent (real) contrast ratios and black levels
    Excellent color reproduction
    Excellent life expectancy
    Excellent viewing angle with no real loss of color or contrast

Plasma Disadvantages
    Fairly heavy
    Soon destined to be thicker than LCDs by a large margin, barring some practical technical advances
    Susceptible to screen burn-in (new models compensate with Energy Star features)
    Lower real peak brightness
    Uses a lot of power compared to LCD

DLP/Rear Light Projection is almostlike a standard CRT TV with half the back cut off. Instead of bombarding the membrain internally, they shine the image to the screen. In the old days, the did it from the fron and it had a fuzz and clarity loss, kinda like an 8mm projector. However, take that concept and place the projector inside the box and behind the screen. It is similar to a mirrored image. Play back a video on a cpu screen, it looks a little pixelated. Place a mirror about 6 feet back and view the mirrored image, it is clear, although inverted. Imagine that the image in a DLP starts inverted and then is mirror rectified to proper viewing. Sharp clear image. That is pretty much DLP.

All in all, as time progresses, some of these technologies will fade away and others will continue. In a few years, standard CRT will be off the market after 60+ years. It went from tubes to transistors, mono to stereo to Surround, bubble screen to convexed to flat, etc.

Hope it helps,

DrM


What's 1080p? What does p stand for and what does it do? So you say LCD is the way to go? What about DLP, would that be a good idea? I was thinking at some point an LCD for the bedroom and Plasma or maybe a bigger LCD for the living room in a few years, how's that sound? I got a flat screen TV as a gift in 2004. I guess that's just a regular traditional CRT right (cathode ray tube)? I'll probably still have a CRT TV just for video games and watching Blu Ray DVDs. Will one of these win out, you know, like VHS over Beta or the recent Blu Ray coming out on top over HD DVD? I've heard some people say they thought Beta was actually better. Is Blu Ray actually better than HD, since that's the DVD format that won out? And did VHS turn out to be the better format, in your opinion? Why or why not? Oh yeah and one more thing. How come in the store some TVs have darker and more vibrant colors and others are lighter or washed out looking? Are they made that way, or is it just a matter of adjusting like the color or brightness or something? All I really want is clear reception, reliability (knowing my cable won't cut out if it rains) and durability. So what brands are known for those things? Sony? Panasonic is usually pretty good. Emerson I never really liked.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:15 am 
User avatar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

That gives you basically all you need to know...

And for the money, Samsung is leaps and bounds ahead of the other big name brands in terms of quality.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:42 am 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
You can't go wrong with a Samsung, OR a Sony either actually.

Sony is great, but more expensive, as others here will attest.
Samsung is about the best for the money as far as I am concerned.


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:58 am 
Offline
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:13 pm
Posts: 2261
My Mood: Neutral
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

That gives you basically all you need to know...

And for the money, Samsung is leaps and bounds ahead of the other big name brands in terms of quality.


Samsung! That was the other name I couldn't remember thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:19 am 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Samsung is the little giant that never gets the respect it deserves. Quality product at pricing consumers can deal with without buyers regret.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:10 pm 
Offline
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:39 am
Posts: 7778
Location: In a poker game somewhere.....
My Mood: Neutral
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Ok guys, after careful consideration and your suggestions....we went ahead with the Plasma, Samsung 50" 1899.99 at Best Buy, which was over $1,000 less than the Pioneer, and to our eyes the Samsung looks better. The guys at BB really were pushing the Pioneer (of course costs more) and the Panasonic (again costs more). To the wife and I we thought the Samsung had a damn fine picture.
The other reason we went with the Plasma is they have the protective cover on them that the LCD do not. And with that child of ours, hung in the air or not, we wanted a little more protection. So, unknown to me, Whitsbrain here recommends the Samsung as did TZ DZ earlier and DrM as well.
A manager type came over and tried to talk into the more expensive one while the salesman was in the back! Can you believe that! I'm like, WTH do you sell the Samsung if you are gonna dog them? Besides, I have my own Geek Squad here on the PTE!!!
Let's hear it for the boys at PTE!!!! :clap:
Thanks again for all the help.....ongoing as it is!


OK Woodrow, you have had long enough now to form a good opinion on your new TV.

I am betting because we haven't heard much else, that you are very happy with the unit you bought.

Any comments?


TZ DZ Fan

_________________
-"PLEASE FORGIVE LEO, HE'S NEVER HAD MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY"-
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:44 am 
Offline
The General
The General
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:03 am
Posts: 4410
Location: Oz
My Mood: Giddy
Well, I never thought to report on it actually as this thread is not up very often, so sorry about that chief! :D
Oh, yeah, it is frickin awesome! Like night and day. We got the Elton John 60th Birthday concert on Blu-Ray and man oh man it is like we are there at the concert! Got all the surround going, speakers, and the television is very nice indeed. Yes, we are very happy with it.

Maybe we should make another thread on what everyone's favorite Blu-Ray film is?
I mean to say, which movie looks even more spectacular in Blu-Ray so on the Plasma big screen on the wall it will look even more awesome.....Thanks for askin' TZ DZ!

Hope that helps...

_________________
ImageImage

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB 3.0.11 © 2002 ~ 2014 phpBB Group
subTrails recreated by DrMoreau for PtE Forums.