Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Season 3
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Just read that Season 3 is in production. I was curious whether there would be one since I hadn't heard a peep about it. Glad to hear that we will get 3 more installments of fine entertainment!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject: Re: Season 3
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:00 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Just read that Season 3 is in production. I was curious whether there would be one since I hadn't heard a peep about it. Glad to hear that we will get 3 more installments of fine entertainment!

Not only that but there's going to be a season 4 too! :D

Sherlock to have a fourth series
Tuesday, 12 March 2013

As each episode of the BBC's Sherlock is a movie in itself, running at a healthy 90 minutes sans commercials, getting them into production can be a scheduling nightmare. Even more so when your two primary actors, Benedict Cumberbatch (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Star Trek Into Darkness) and Martin Freeman (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), have become global stars. So it's a minor miracle the third series is about to go into production next Monday.

But in Holmes' world, there are no miracles; only coincidences. And it just so happens Cumberbatch has let a clue slip whilst speaking to the Radio Times:
"We’ve agreed to two more series but I could get into trouble for saying that. All I know at the moment is I’m doing these three [episodes of the upcoming series] and another three." (note: it's a series, American readers. Even the most desperate imaginations can't possibly consider three a season).

The last episode of season series two concluded with a major cliffhanger, so the sooner these next installments come, the better.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/03/s ... eries.html

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:39 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Yeppers - I knew 2013 was the scheduled date for Series 3 - I'm glad it's coming to fruition. "Elementary" was a sad and poor substitute :smoke:

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:20 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Yeppers - I knew 2013 was the scheduled date for Series 3 - I'm glad it's coming to fruition. "Elementary" was a sad and poor substitute :smoke:

I enjoy elementary and watch it every week, I like Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu quite a lot, but I've got to admit it's nowhere near as good as Sherlock.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I watched one or two episodes of Elementary, but gave up on it. Though I like the actors, I just can't watch it, not after watching Sherlock. Miller and Liu are serviceable, but the quality of the American version is substandard to the Brits.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:24 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
I like Elementary too. Sherlock Holmes question. In any versions of this story, the novels, movies, TV shows, does Sherlock ever catch or kill Moriarty or does he always get away? Has he already been introduced in this version? If there's a good ending, I'm going to watch this on DVD. They've already introduced Moriarty on Elementary recently.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
I like Elementary too. Sherlock Holmes question. In any versions of this story, the novels, movies, TV shows, does Sherlock ever catch or kill Moriarty or does he always get away? Has he already been introduced in this version? If there's a good ending, I'm going to watch this on DVD. They've already introduced Moriarty on Elementary recently.

Spoiler

Well, in pretty much every version that I'm aware of Sherlock Holmes kills or defeats Moriarty, but in Sherlock something different happens and I won't say what, but yes Moriarty is in both the first and second seasons

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:19 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Moriarty appeared in both of the first two seasons? Pretty cool. I was just looking at the Wikipedia page dedicated to the character. He doesn't seem to appear in the Ronald Howard Sherlock Holmes series but does in the Jeremy Brett version, which has an ending similar to the book and even the Robert Downey Jr. movies. In fact, I read that Arthur Conan Doyle originally had both Holmes and Moriarty dying and only brought back Holmes because of popular demand for more stories. And to think Doyle only wanted to do just the two Holmes novels. I wonder if we would've had all the movies and TV versions if Doyle had stuck with that decision. I plan on watching the Brett, Howard and Cumberbatch Holmes shows as soon as I can get them on DVD.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh okay, I just looked it up. Interesting ending and a slight variation on the book and recent movie, I like it. On Elementary, they had Holmes cleverly catch Moriarty, which is interesting meaning they could always bring the character back and have some big final showdown at the end of the series. I thought it took place in the past, this show, based on what the characters look like but I guess this one is in a modern setting as well, but just in England.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:45 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So I take it Season 4 will be the last, unless there is interest in doing anymore seasons? That's what I like about UK shows though, they know when to end them and not run them into the ground, like we do here in the US.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
On Elementary, they had Holmes cleverly catch Moriarty, which is interesting meaning they could always bring the character back and have some big final showdown at the end of the series.

Without going into it here, for fear of giving away spoilers, personally I thought the way Holmes caught Moriarty in Elementary was dire, it was so obvious, I predicted instantly what would happen, I don't buy for an instant that a genius of comparable intellect to Holmes would be so gullible and fall for one of the oldest tricks in the book. I liked Elementary when it first started but the finale was terrible and I disliked the first episode of season 2, so don;t know if I can be bothered to watch anymore, Sherlock is far superior in my opinion.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 am 

Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
... Sherlock is far superior in my opinion.

Cosign!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I predicted what would happen too, but I still enjoyed it. A criminal was caught in kind of a similar way in an episode of John Doe in the early 2000s. They might throw in some other twist about Moriarty wanting to get caught or not and then escaping. Either way, I'm guessing there will be a similar final showdown though to the other versions at some point.

One more question about Sherlock: Does this also have the same recreational drug use as in the classic Holmes novels and short stories or is that not present in this version? I'm planning on getting these on DVD. Also, anyone see the ads of Benedict Cumberbatch in that new movie where he plays the WikiLeaks guy?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
I predicted what would happen too, but I still enjoyed it. A criminal was caught in kind of a similar way in an episode of John Doe in the early 2000s. They might throw in some other twist about Moriarty wanting to get caught or not and then escaping. Either way, I'm guessing there will be a similar final showdown though to the other versions at some point.

One more question about Sherlock: Does this also have the same recreational drug use as in the classic Holmes novels and short stories or is that not present in this version? I'm planning on getting these on DVD. Also, anyone see the ads of Benedict Cumberbatch in that new movie where he plays the WikiLeaks guy?

In the first episode of Sherlock, it's implied he used to be a drug addict, but it doesn't delve into it too much, and I can see why, in the books it was mentioned a couple of times like in The Sign of Four and A Scandal in Bohemia, but his drug taking was never a big issue, cocaine wasn't illegal in Victorian times, and then Watson mentions in a later story that he'd manage to wean Holmes off his drug habit. Elementary makes it far more central to his character, nothing wrong with that, but the oblique reference in Sherlock feels more true to the original.

Yes I've seen the the trailer to The Fifth Estate in which Cumberbatch stars as Julian Assange, it looks interesting!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:04 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Hell, it should probably STILL be legal. Prisons wouldn't be so overcrowded without so many people in for possession. Cumberbatch seems like a hell of a talented actor.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:31 am 

The 7% Solution - not enough to addle one's senses just enough to give him a little edge. An expresso has more kick but doesn't quite have that deviant Bohemian feel to it.

In Sherlock, it is reference quite often he used to be a smoker. And Watson often hides his stash of cigarettes, which, is actually funnier.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:22 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Any word on when these seasons air?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
Any word on when these seasons air?

In the United States it'll air on PBS Masterpiece on January 19th 2014, no idea when it will air in the UK hopefully sooner.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:31 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

And that's the first of 3 90 minute movies they do every season? Sweet. I'm going to get these all on DVD when they come out. This show looks awesome.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:15 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
And that's the first of 3 90 minute movies they do every season? Sweet. I'm going to get these all on DVD when they come out. This show looks awesome.

Yes that's right, I'd recommend watching the first two seasons before you watch the third, if you're a fan of Elementary I think you'll really like this too.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Heard Series 3 is coming out early next year February 11:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sherlo ... on-3/19205

And there will be a Series 4 as well? Kind of hope they don't do more than 4 or 5 Series' as UK shows know how to bow out and not run everything into the ground.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:40 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I plan on also getting on DVD the Young Sherlock movie from 1982 called The Mystery of Manor House, the Ronald Howard Sherlock Holmes series (1954), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett (1984) as well as Sherlock and Elementary on DVD. So any of you guys a fan of those first 3?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:31 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I haven't seen much of the Jeremy Brett series but have heard he's fantastic. I actually did watch 'The Blue Carbuncle' the other night and I must say it was very good; Jeremy Brett seemed to play the role extremely well. I also plan on getting that series at some point.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:12 pm 

Anthony wrote:
I plan on also getting on DVD the Young Sherlock movie from 1982 called The Mystery of Manor House, the Ronald Howard Sherlock Holmes series (1954), The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett (1984) as well as Sherlock and Elementary on DVD. So any of you guys a fan of those first 3?

Jeremy Brett was the consummate Victorian era Holmes ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Jeremy Brett was the consummate Victorian era Holmes ;)

I agree, as good as Basil Rathbone was in the movies, Brett is the definitive Holmes, as I imagine him in the novel. Although he's helped by his series being really rather faithful to the stories, certainly much more so than any of the movies, but I also really like Peter Cushing in the BBC series he did.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:44 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Got the Mystery of Manor House movie in the mail today, still waiting on the Ronald Howard series from 1954. Anyone ever see that?

The Jeremy Brett version I'm waiting on ordering, as it's usually about 100 bucks or more for the whole series, so I'll probably wait until there's another Amazon one day sale, until I save up the money, or until next year, when I can get another gift card for Amazon. I used the ones I got for this Christmas to get the rest of the Patrick McGoohan Secret Agent series. Anyone here a fan of that?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:41 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I've seen a bit of the Ronald Howard one on youtube in the past, looked quite good, but the fact all the stories are original instead of based on the original stories puts me off a bit. Just seen the first episode of season 3 it was great :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:34 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Yes, Anthony, the Ronald Howard teleseries is reasonably good, especially for the 1950s. Episodes are aired on THIS TV currrently, irregularly late weeknights.

Jeremy Brett was possibly the best actor to portray The Great Detective. Keep in mind, however, the actor died before finishing the series, when ended with him. A major loss to Serlockians!

Rathbone holds a very special place in my counsultation parlor.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I've got first episode Season 3 set for DVR for 1/19 -- can't wait!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:15 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

lazyboyx51 wrote:

If you haven't seen it already, be sure to watch the mini episode Many Happy Returns that I posted on here too, it serves as a little prequel to the first Season 3 episode proper.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:58 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Rorschach wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

If you haven't seen it already, be sure to watch the mini episode Many Happy Returns that I posted on here too, it serves as a little prequel to the first Season 3 episode proper.

Yes, I did watch that, thanks for posting it! Good enough teaser to whet my appetite.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:05 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Yes, I did watch that, thanks for posting it! Good enough teaser to whet my appetite.

No problem 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:32 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Will Many Happy Returns be released on DVD as well? Oh yeah and I finished the Ronald Howard series. I liked it. And actually, they did some versions of the Holmes stories, like Red Headed League and Greek Interpreter, so not all of the stories were original.

Also just finished Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House. Interesting to see a 17 year old Sherlock solve his first major mystery. Pretty good story, but cheaply produced, looks like it was done in videotape, at least for the indoor scenes on set. Liked it though, as it tries to show the roots of Sherlock, his education, background, skills, interest in moving to Baker Street and introduces the Sebastian Moran and Moriarty characters for the first time, but only Moran's brother is scene in this series.

I next plan on catching the Young Sherlock Holmes movie, which is available on DVD and then the Jeremy Brett Granada Series before digging into this Sherlock series, set in modern times. So the last two I'll watch will be Sherlock and then Elementary on DVD.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:35 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

JonnyDuffy wrote:
Yes, Anthony, the Ronald Howard teleseries is reasonably good, especially for the 1950s. Episodes are aired on THIS TV currrently, irregularly late weeknights.

Jeremy Brett was possibly the best actor to portray The Great Detective. Keep in mind, however, the actor died before finishing the series, when ended with him. A major loss to Serlockians!

Rathbone holds a very special place in my counsultation parlor.

But the show was on for 10 years. So they didn't get to do a proper ending, I guess? Not too bad, I'm sure it's still a great show. The important thing is we got to see the end of the Moriarty storyline. How did the stories end in the books or short stories? Does Holmes retire? Does he stay with Watson. I would imagine they go their separate ways once Watson marries.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:37 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
I've seen a bit of the Ronald Howard one on youtube in the past, looked quite good, but the fact all the stories are original instead of based on the original stories puts me off a bit. Just seen the first episode of season 3 it was great :D

Red Headed League and Greek Interpreter are adapted actually. Okay, I just looked it up and 3 stories are actually adapted in the Sheldon Leonard produced Ronald Howard series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_H ... isode_list

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:15 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I'm enjoying Season 3. Seems funnier than some of the previous episodes, quite hysterical really. Can't believe there's only one more episode, then have to wait for Season 4. So good.

Well I will be able to satiate myself with the Jeremy Brett version.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So any of you read the Holmes novels and short stories or know if they're all still in print?

Do you think we could maybe have a section here for the Jeremy Brett Granada Holmes series?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:11 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I read Doyle's Holmes stories. I actually own The Complete Sherlock Holmes in leather-bound, got it from Barnes & Noble. Dude you should grab it, cheap at $18-$20 for the entire collection. Looks nice too.

This is the one I own: Image

I have the final novel to read and then I've completed the collection.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:00 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah there are few enough novels that I will do that. That fact that most of them are short stories makes it more attractive for me to want to buy. That usually happens with these detective novels I've noticed. Mike Hammer only had 13 books, for instance, the rest were different works, comics and short stories by Spillane over the years, not to mention 2 TV shows. Sherlock Holmes has now had, what 4 TV shows now (Sherlock Holmes, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Elementary and the excellent Sherlock) or I guess 5 if you also include the Young Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of Manor House 9 episode series. I'm planning on catching the Young Sherlock Holmes movie as well on DVD, anyone seen that?

I will definitely catch Sherlock at some point though, this really looks like a great show.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:49 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

I've got Leslie S. Klinger's "The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes" set, it's expensive but very good, because it explains many of the Victorian anachronisms and contexts that a modern reader normally wouldn't pick up on, I've read all the stories a couple of times, they're great. I've also read all the Mike Hammer books, plus Max Allan Collins ongoing completion of Spillane's partially completed Mike Hammer novels which are great too.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:43 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

WHAT? Collins has completed and released Mike Hammer novels as well? Damn, I should've known as a fan, I have to pick those up. Do you know how many there are so far?

Also, to stay more on topic, are all of the Sherlock Holmes movies available on DVD?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:29 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
WHAT? Collins has completed and released Mike Hammer novels as well? Damn, I should've known as a fan, I have to pick those up. Do you know how many there are so far?

Also, to stay more on topic, are all of the Sherlock Holmes movies available on DVD?

Yes he's done 6 so far, I've read them all, except the 6th and latest one King of the Weeds which is out in May, but they've all been great so far, you can't tell where Spillane ends and Collins begins kind of thing.

As for the Sherlock Holmes movies, no, Sherlock Holmes is the most filmed fictional character of all time you know, with Dracula being second, and Tarzan being third, I love all three of them, but there's lots of low budget or foreign and barely known film versions not available on dvd at least not in the US anyway, but most of the well known ones that are worth getting like the Basil Rathbone films, they're all on dvd.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:38 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Crazy ending to Season 3. Now how long do we have to wait for Season 4?

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Will Season 4 be the last?

And here will be all the Sherlock Holmes TV shows I plan on having to complete my personal collection with the actors playing Holmes after the titles:

Sherlock Holmes (1954) Ronald Howard
Sherlock Holmes (1965) Peter Cushing and Douglas Wilmer (all surviving episodes have been released on DVD)
Young Sherlock: The Mystery of the Manor House (1982) Guy Henry
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1984) Jeremy Brett
Sherlock (2010) Benedict Cumberbatch
Elementary (2012) Jonny Lee Miller

Has anyone else here watched or does anyone plan to watch all or any of these other shows as well?

Maybe this series will get to do the ending from the Doyle stories, what do you think?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:13 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Anthony wrote:
... Sherlock is far superior in my opinion.

Cosign!

Actually, Roshach wrote that, but I agree as well, still enjoy Elementary. The only ones I don't like are the ones that stray WAY far away from the source material, like all the Russian versions of Holmes on TV and in TV movies or the cartoon and sci-fi versions.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:15 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I read Doyle's Holmes stories. I actually own The Complete Sherlock Holmes in leather-bound, got it from Barnes & Noble. Dude you should grab it, cheap at $18-$20 for the entire collection. Looks nice too.

This is the one I own: Image

I have the final novel to read and then I've completed the collection.

I found a paperback version of this on Amazon, so added it to my wishlist.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I've also noticed that just about every Holmes theatrical and TV movie is on DVD. The unavailable ones can be had from collectors, so I shall seek those out as well. There's even a Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century haha. I heard Irene Adler wasn't as smartly written on Sherlock as she was in the short story she appeared in, agree or disagree?