Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

Rate "A Study In Pink"
10 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
9 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zer0 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:50 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be

Episode: 1 - A Study in Pink


Original Air Date: July 25, 2010
Starring Cast: Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Rupert Graves, Una Stubbs, Loo Brealey, Vinette Robinson
Writer(s): Steven Moffat
Director: Paul McGuigan

A war hero, invalided home from Afghanistan, meets a strange but charismatic genius who is looking for a flatmate. It's London, 2010, and Dr Watson and Sherlock Holmes are meeting for the first time. A string of impossible suicides has Scotland Yard baffled - and only one man can help.



Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
This is one of the best TV mini series I've seen for a very long time, having been written and co-created by one of my favourite writers Steven Moffat, the head writer for the current series of Doctor Who, it's no surprise. Moffat has done here the same thing he did with Jekyll, taking an old classic Victorian character/piece of literature and updating it to modern times. This first episode, which is feature length, is loosely based on the first Sherlock Holmes book "A Study in Scarlet" the only one I've read, as I studied it for my English literature degree. I wasn't sure what to make of a modern day Holmes untill I actually watched this, but it's truly ingenious, the one thing that makes it work more than anything is Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, there's shades of Doctor Who in his performance, and he gives it such energy and vitality, he makes the character really engaging and makes you believe he can literally deduce anything, he's up there's with the finest incarnations of Holmes, Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett. Martin Freeman makes a great Dr Watson too, being a man of action, and making both an intelligent and credible sidekick for Holmes. Even if you're not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I'd still recommend this, it's far superior to the recent Guy Ritchie film.

10/10


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:05 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Gotta say, Rorschach, another fine recommendation. The way Moffat has modernized both characters and cast of regulars without sacrificing the original concepts by recreating their essence is nice to see. An increasingly bad industry trend that they defend by the catechism, "Modernized." Modernize clearly means bring it to todays timeline as we have here. Yes, this is a modern version of, "A Study In Scarlett," and it's still damn enjoyable. Here we see what modernized is supposed to be, proving that it can be modern without Kung-Fu, back alley brawls, and cgi explosions.

Admittedly, I had seen the un-aired pilot episode - now on DVD - and once I started watching this, it came back to me. A nice choice to rework the same story, even most the same cast, with some variations. Basically, it's the same story but with some tweaks and character refinements and additions. It now plays a little more edgier cool as they have toned Holmes {Benedict Cumberbatch} character down a bit. He's more humanistic and reflective this go around which suits the Holmes persona better. Dr. Watson {Martin Freeman} is played as the stronger character then the movie renditions led one to believe. He's ex-military fresh from the wars - the action man to Holmes' dramatic flair. A welcome return to the strong character Watson had always been in print. Excellent casting choices. Both actors are equally charismatic alone or together - just a great pairing altogether.

10!


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Glad you like it DrMoreau :D I've seen the unaired pilot too, but I watched it after I'd seen the final version, I agree with you, the few changes and adjustments to what eventually became "A Study in Pink" improved it, even though it was still pretty good to begin with.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:11 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
So, did this ever make it back to TV or did Moffat just drop it and work on Dr Who?


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
Season 2 has been filmed and will air in January in England, it's going to be three 90 min episodes again and it's updating three of the most popular Holmes stories, 'A Scandal in Bohemia', 'Hound of the Baskervilles' and 'The Final Problem', but the new episodes are being called 'A Scandal in Belgravia', 'The Hounds of Baskerville' and 'The Reichenbach Fall'. An interesting side note, but Martin Freeman who's starring as Bilbo Baggins in 'The Hobbit', almost had to turn the role down because he was contractually obliged to film season 2 of Sherlock, but Peter Jackson wanted him in the role so badly that they worked out an agreement where he filmed a few months of The Hobbit in New Zealand, then they paused filming so he could return to England to do Sherlock, and then carry on again with The Hobbit as soon as he'd done Sherlock. Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be in The Hobbit too as Smaug the Dragon, and also the voice of the necromancer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:44 am 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Good to hear on both Sherlock and the Hobbit.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:56 pm 
Offline
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:06 pm
Posts: 4386
Location: Where pies go when they die
My Mood: Esoteric
Rorschach wrote:
This is one of the best TV mini series I've seen for a very long time, having been written and co-created by one of my favourite writers Steven Moffat, the head writer for the current series of Doctor Who, it's no surprise. Moffat has done here the same thing he did with Jekyll, taking an old classic Victorian character/piece of literature and updating it to modern times. This first episode, which is feature length, is loosely based on the first Sherlock Holmes book "A Study in Scarlet" the only one I've read, as I studied it for my English literature degree. I wasn't sure what to make of a modern day Holmes untill I actually watched this, but it's truly ingenious, the one thing that makes it work more than anything is Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes, there's shades of Doctor Who in his performance, and he gives it such energy and vitality, he makes the character really engaging and makes you believe he can literally deduce anything, he's up there's with the finest incarnations of Holmes, Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett. Martin Freeman makes a great Dr Watson too, being a man of action, and making both an intelligent and credible sidekick for Holmes. Even if you're not a fan of Sherlock Holmes, I'd still recommend this, it's far superior to the recent Guy Ritchie film.

10/10


I couldn't agree more.

Yes, I finally got to watch Sherlock, and I was astounded. You hit the nail on the head, my dear Rorschach -- Cumberbatch is phenomenal as Holmes. Mannerisms, affect, personality -- it just clicks and really makes him engaging to watch. I love the dynamic between he and Watson. I was amused even with his detest towards the forensics guy, Anderson, and a few of the comments made towards him. Just brilliant writing and "modernizing" a classic for today's world. I also highly recommend this to anyone and everyone, whether they're Holmes fans or not. I will say that I enjoyed Ritchie's version, even though I did not think I would. I also really enjoyed Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes, but after watching Cumberbatch, it's just a whole different level.

10!

_________________
ImageImageImage

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:47 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
lazyboyx51 wrote:
I couldn't agree more.

Yes, I finally got to watch Sherlock, and I was astounded. You hit the nail on the head, my dear Rorschach -- Cumberbatch is phenomenal as Holmes. Mannerisms, affect, personality -- it just clicks and really makes him engaging to watch. I love the dynamic between he and Watson. I was amused even with his detest towards the forensics guy, Anderson, and a few of the comments made towards him. Just brilliant writing and "modernizing" a classic for today's world. I also highly recommend this to anyone and everyone, whether they're Holmes fans or not. I will say that I enjoyed Ritchie's version, even though I did not think I would. I also really enjoyed Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes, but after watching Cumberbatch, it's just a whole different level.

10!


I'm glad you liked it lazyboyx51, it is excellent, since watching and commenting on it here a year ago, I've read all the rest of the Holmes stories, and it's great how there's lots of little references and nods to them in the series. Yeah I agree The Downey Jr version is good but Cumberbatch is in another league of his own, I can't wait for season 2 next month! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:04 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
So, after watching the Star Trek Into Darkness I remembered how much I miss not having this series in over a year. Glad to see it's coming back soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:12 pm 
Offline
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:06 pm
Posts: 4386
Location: Where pies go when they die
My Mood: Esoteric
DrMoreau wrote:
So, after watching the Star Trek Into Darkness I remembered how much I miss not having this series in over a year. Glad to see it's coming back soon.



Co-sign!

And glad to see you roaming around too Doc!

_________________
ImageImageImage

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:49 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7532
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Thanks Lazy - good to be in a location with Internet access for a change.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB 3.0.11 © 2002 ~ 2014 phpBB Group
subTrails recreated by DrMoreau for PtE Forums.