Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 1 - The Man Trap

Original Air Date: September 8, 1966
Starring Cast: Jeanne Bal, Alfred Ryder, Grace Lee Whitney and Sharon Gimpel
Writer(s): George Clayton Johnson
Director: Marc Daniels

The USS Enterprise perform a supply mission to Planet M-113 where scientist Dr Crater and his wife are studying the remains of an ancient civilization. Shortly after their arrival, crewmen begin to die having been drained of all salt from their body. An alien is among them and our Captain and Crew must discover its identity and the reason behind the killings.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
STAR TREK - Mission #6: Kill the Last of a Deadly Species
(first broadcast, but 6th filmed)

As the first episode to be broadcast, this one gives the impression of a 'Monster-of-the-Week' mentality, but impressions could be deceiving. Many fans of TV sci-fi of the sixties don't see much difference between an episode such as this and a typical episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but I beg to differ.

There are subtle indications of a more thoughtful approach: the first act shows us the easy banter between Capt. Kirk (Shatner) and Dr. McCoy (DeForest Kelley), who are good friends besides being colleagues, as well as a casual approach towards a long dead civilization on some alien planet, suggesting that travel in deep space has been going on for some time by this point (over a century). Everything has the feeling of a routine -- until the bodies of crew members start to pile up. One constant on TOS was the strong sense of personal failure that Kirk felt when one of his crew was killed and it begins here. In that sense, this was a rough mission for Kirk -- there are several fatalities in this episode.

There was also an early key scene of character exposition in regard to Spock (Leonard Nimoy): after the first death is reported, with no details at that point, Uhura (Nichelle Nichols) takes Spock to task for showing no emotion at the news; for all they know, the dead person could be Kirk himself. Uhura is a bit unprofessional here, if you ask me, but it's well written; she doesn't state the obvious, like "you Vulcan, you show no emotion!" Nervous at just getting the news and frustrated by Spock's non-response, she mentions how Kirk is probably Spock's only friend and he just sits there like nothing happened. If this was the first episode you ever watched, you learned a lot about the Star Trek universe right there in just one minute.
(others can take note of this scene and how it foreshadows the Spock-Uhura relationship in the new revised Star Trek universe of the 2009 film; it's ironic also in that such Spock-Uhura scenes on TOS were rare from that point on).

The real subtlety about the whole scene I just described? If you look close, you'll see that Spock does indeed show a tiny bit of emotion at the news of a crew member's death, perhaps some worry; he just hides it well and Uhura doesn't see it - kudos to Leonard Nimoy for already having developed the character very well by this early stage.

This is certainly not one of the more exciting episodes of TOS and not all that profound, but it laid the groundwork for much of the show. There are a few tense moments - both Yeoman Rand (Grace Lee Whitney) and Uhura are moments from death in this episode and avoid it by wild luck and timing, and not even aware how close they were to their final hour until later. I rate this one a 7, only because there are many even better episodes.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:54 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I agree with everything Kaptain Kirk stated above. Similar rating for me, it's a very good episode to kick off the series, as it provides an informative introduction to the crew of the Enterprise. We see the types of relationships among the crew members and with Capt. Kirk. I think once we see the "monster" there could be that "monster-of-the-week" impression, but up to that point, there really was no inclination as to this being that kind of show. I enjoyed this one for the start-up of the series, but yes, there are plenty others more superior as the series progresses.

7!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:46 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

My Mood: Neutral
A for entertaining....but theme of Femme Fatale...who kills males for substance.....old theme

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:34 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
The Man Trap was supposedly HAND PICKED by NBC Network executives to be the first episode shown.