Total votes : 2
 Post subject: Firefly
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:16 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Episode 1: Serenity

Anyone on here catch this show?

Word is that it won many awards, but yet the jackasses at FOX canceled yet another good one (this series), after a mere 11 of the 14 produced episodes aired.

I have tinkered with the idea of picking this up on DVD, but I want a few more opinions.

This is yet another that sounds like something I might enjoy.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject: Re: Firefly
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Anyone on here catch this show?

Word is that it won many awards, but yet the jackasses at FOX cancelled yet another good one (this series), after a mere 11 of the 14 produced episodes aired.

I have tinkered with the idea of picking this up on DVD, but I want a few more opinions.

This is yet another that sounds like something I might enjoy.

TZ DZ Fan

I never saw the show "Firefly", but I did rent "Serenity" which is basically the feature film version of "Firefly" released to theaters after Fox cancelled it. Truthfully, I rented it because it was on the HD DVD format and I thought it may contain some visual fireworks. I was not disappointed. The CGI was among the best I've seen. The outer space shots of ships and space battles was nearly breathtaking in HD. The actual story and characters though, were pretty run-of-the-mill. Specifically, the character River. How come no one just shoots her from a distance instead of facing up with her; waiting for her to lay waste to them Bruce-Lee-style? Captain Mal was an interesting character but nothing original, really. After seeing this movie, I have read some rave reviews that border on "Greatest Movie Ever" praise. I must have missed something. It was good, but certainly not great.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

really like this show.

i started watching when it originally aired, but only caught a few episodes.. not sure why i stopped. then scifi channel aired the whole series and i watched it and was hooked.

i believe when fox originally aired the show they aired the episodes out of order thinking that the first episode (the pilot) wouldn't keep people watching. when it was on scifi they aired the episodes in the right order -which i think fox should have done. also they aired three episodes that never aired on fox.

anyway.. i bought the box set and recommend this show.

favorite episodes:
jaynestown
out of gas
war stories

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Yes in watching some extras, it was mentioned that Fox did not think the pilot was gripping enough. They wanted the show to begin right in the middle of the action. f@%king monkeys working at these networks - douchewads!

I'm with Adamgrant -- really like this show. I honestly might never have watched it had I not received the movie 'Serenity' as a gift last year (still have to watch it). I figured if I had the movie, I should watch the show first. Of course, life gets in the way, other things get watched and this was put on the backburner. However, I received Firefly (in Blu-Ray) as a gift this year (at my request since Amazon was running a nice sale on it).

Rating for the pilot: 9!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:56 am 

Jump in Lazy!

This show was decent, not quite the top level of a BSG or even a Carnivale but a decent watch nonetheless.

It really reminded me of "Harsh Realm", in a gritty sci-fi space travel way, but without the military overtones HR had. It had promise, but not quite the exposure to make it more popular.
Note, this one is crossed with sort of a western look and feel at points.

In my head I can't differentiate the eps from the titles, and I don't remember many specifics so I would need to rewatch them again. (I probably went ahead and watched these soon after my original posting in 2008)
Not necessarily a classic, but worthy of a viewing and deserves a bit more attention on this board.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:40 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Jump in Lazy!

This show was decent, not quite the top level of a BSG or even a Carnivale but a decent watch nonetheless.

It really reminded me of "Harsh Realm", in a gritty sci-fi space travel way, but without the military overtones HR had. It had promise, but not quite the exposure to make it more popular.
Note, this one is crossed with sort of a western look and feel at points.

In my head I can't differentiate the eps from the titles, and I don't remember many specifics so I would need to rewatch them again. (I probably went ahead and watched these soon after my original posting in 2008)
Not necessarily a classic, but worthy of a viewing and deserves a bit more attention on this board.

TZ DZ fan

Yep, I think it was another Firefly thread that I mentioned I felt this show was a cross between BSG and Deadwood, which is kind of cool. And of course now you have the movie Cowboys and Aliens, blending the two genres. In any event, I've been enjoying the show and their characters. Not as strong as shows like you've mentioned, but definitely entertaining and worth watching. I'd give the show an 8/10 as a whole.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Are there still a lot of Firefly fans here? Does anyone here watch Nathan Filion's current show, Castle? I've grown to really like it. It has that whole "will they or won't they" romantic tension, made famous in the '80s by Remington Steele and later Moonlighting. Then even sitcoms and comedy shows started using the same formula, like Northern Exposure, Who's The Boss and The Nanny, 3 shows I was never a big fan of myself.

Anyway, why do I mention Castle on a Firely thread? Well, I'm not trying to hijack it. I only mention this for two reasons. One is that Filion appeared on both shows. The other? There will be a mini Firely reunion next month as Adam Baldwin, also from Firefly, will be making a guest appearance on Castle that airs April 16. Here's an article on it from TV Guide's website:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Castle-Fire ... d=whatshot

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:29 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Cool connection. Thanks for the info Anthony.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So did anybody here watch the episode? It just finished airing. If you missed it, you can probably see it tomorrow on ABC.com and Hulu. Ethan Slaughter was a total badass character who prefers the old fashioned form of police work, someone who would rather beat a confession out of someone and go in alone, rather than calling in backup. I know though, I'm probably the only Castle fan here, but it was pretty cool if you're a Firefly fan too. This time, Adam Baldwin was the leader.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:58 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
A decent little series that never got the chance to get its footing as Fox bounced it around from time slot to time slot - day to day. You know, that old which cup is it under game.

Castle - my wife watches it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Don't watch Castle and forgot about catching Adam Baldwin in this particular episode.

I was glad I watched Firefly, it turned out to be a solid series. I actually enjoyed the characters fairly quickly - It's a shame they didn't last long enough.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
Anthony wrote:
Quote:
I know though, I'm probably the only Castle fan here, but it was pretty cool if you're a Firefly fan too.

Got your back here, Anthony!

A recent episode of Castle featured a murder at a science fiction convention. It was loaded with Firefly and Star Trek "in" jokes. Jonathan Frakes directed it and made a cameo.

Ed Quinn of Eureka played an actor who had starred in a popular (but canceled) TV series.

The murder weapon was a handheld laser that burned a whole in the victims chest! (Yes, the one Castle is holding. Purple and yellow? Hmmmm . . . )

Armin Shimerman from DS9 is a guest star.

At one point Castle tells Beckett he likes science fiction. "You know, shows like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and that Joss Whedon thing."

Great episode!