Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode 1 - Pilot

Original Air Date: March 22, 1995
Stars: Jerry O'Connell, John Rhys-Davies, Cleavant Derricks, Sabrina Lloyd
Writer: Robert K. Weiss & Tracy Tormé
Director: Andy Tennant

Meet Quinn Mallory - Boy Genius - who has inadvertently created a wormhole device that will take him and his companions to an infinite array of parallel Earths. In the pilot, we meet our members and explore an Ice Age San Francisco and a Rebel Faction who - in this dimension - is led by the meek and mild Miss Wade Welles.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:35 am 

No slider fans either, eh? Hmmm ...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:04 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I love Sliders, used watch it all the time, and a friend's currently lent me the first two seasons which I'm watching again at the mo, good job too cause I can't watch anything on hulu lol.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:58 am 

Rorschach wrote:
I can't watch anything on hulu lol.

Yep - great service but blocked to our UK friends. However, for the more daring non US members: You can always log on to an annonymous proxy server and select North American identity and it will play ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Dr M- Sliders fan right here...just finally found this thread....

The Pilot ....(I have a copy of the book somewhere that I paid $1.00 for..) is probably the best Sliders episode ever...with the parallel communist United States episode coming in at a close second. I loved this series and own a couple of the season dvds....I was really bummed that this series went in the direction in went towards the end, with much of the cast leaving and characters etc...

Bring the show back! We have to find Quinn!! I am pretty sure he never made it home :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:16 pm 

I agree. Him and Sam Becket - Quantum Leap, people - are probably held up in some bar being forced to drink Schlitz beer. :?

Post subject: Re: Sliders
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Add me to the list of Slider fans.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:17 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I was a Sliders fan from day one, meaning the day the pilot episode first aired back in '95 (I think this was on the Fox Channel - later the series moved to the Sci-Fi Channel). Looking back on it now, the pilot sort of overshadowed all forthcoming episodes. To me, the pilot represented what the show should have been about - finding alternate Earths with slight variations in their history, finding surprises around every dimensional corner, exploring in the best tradition. The first half of the pilot is actually Sliders at its best (the 2nd half was all the running about in the Soviet America).

I think this was lost almost immediately in the next few episodes of the first season. I mean, it obviously got even worse by the 4th and especially the 5th season, but there was something missing even in the earliest episodes. Maybe it was that the pilot had Quinn going into several different dimensions right off the bat, all in one episode - there was an excitement there that the later standard episodes just couldn't match. And it got silly pretty fast - the Earth with all the flower children and oil gushers going off in San Francisco... :roll: This was early in the first season. I did like that tsunami in the 4th or 5th episode.

There were some good episodes, but too far in-between. I always wished that the Sliders characters would have gained control over the sliding tech (like in the 3rd or 4th season) instead of the same old running around blindly into the unknown (and finding ho-hum stuff). Then there would have been (maybe) exciting research & exploration. From what I've read and learned, there were behind-the-scenes issues (producers, the network) which caused many of the drawbacks to the potential of the show.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:19 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
The remaining Sliders episodes are going to be released on DVD in January.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:58 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
I've watched Sliders sporadically over the years, but I never got into it heavily. Now the channel called HUB is showing it regularly, so I should set my DVR for it and give it a chance to turn me into a full-flegded fan.

Kaptain Kirk wrote:
Quote:
I always wished that the Sliders characters would have gained control over the sliding tech.

When I first starting reading Kaptain Kirk's post I started thinking about the idea of making the characters able to go home at will. When I saw Kaptain Kirk's komment -- (sorry, kouldn't resist) -- I was pleased to hear that this had been done in the later seasons of the series. That's another reason for me stick with Sliders -- even though I know the show had a rocky run and deteriorated towards the end.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:51 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Bud Brewster wrote:
When I first starting reading Kaptain Kirk's post I started thinking about the idea of making the characters able to go home at will. When I saw Kaptain Kirk's komment -- (sorry, kouldn't resist) -- I was pleased to hear that this had been done in the later seasons of the series.

I think there's a slight misread here and/or I probably didn't write it clearly enough: there was no control gained over the sliding tech and them being able to go at will --- ever. When I wrote "like in the 3rd or 4th season" I meant it never happened in those seasons. I was hoping it would happen in those seasons but it never did.