Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:32 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral

~Announcement~
For talk on individual episodes, characters, and specific episode arc ... please visit our "The Walking Dead" forum in the Member's Only Section. Not a member - here's another good reason to sign up.

With all the zombie / horror fans we have floating around here, I am surprised no one has commented on this one yet. (Is it around here anywhere?? Not that I can see..)
Fellow board member Alsunday noted to me the other night that this is essentially must-see tv.
I had read a bit about it before, and decided to give it a whirl.
Needless to say, a few hours later I had watched all 3 aired episodes. (including the pilot)

This has a number of episodes filmed and geared for airing. (6 I believe) And AMC has already ordered a second season, which might be already in production.

I seriously can't believe that DrM, SVB or Lazy haven't been all over this one already.
If you haven't checked this out yet, you are in for a good one. :twisted:

Here is a brief description, and the pilot.

---------------------------------------------------------------
The Walking Dead - (2010)

The series follows a small group of survivors traveling across the desolate United States in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse as they search for a new home away from the shuffling hordes of the undead. Led by Rick Grimes, a former sheriff's deputy, the group's increasing desperation to survive pushes them to the brink of insanity. At every turn they are faced with unspeakable horrors, both from those who are dead, and from the scattered remains of a struggling human populace

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:05 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Not managed to check this out yet. The missus isn't a fan of horror so actually catching something like this is much harder than it used to be :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:17 am 

MrRSerling wrote:
Not managed to check this out yet. The missus isn't a fan of horror so actually catching something like this is much harder than it used to be :(

This isn't quite as much horror as you might think.
Its more of a "Survivors" meets zombies, in a sense.

I can't go on too much without giving anything away, as I hate spoiling anything, but I think you will get a kick out of this also, judging from your other likes. 8)

I am betting this gets its own section here before all is said and done. It certainly looks to be right in a few board members wheelhouses...... DrM included.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Heard about it but haven't had the opportunity to check it out. I'm pretty sure I read a post or two somewhere that others are trying to catch this (Dr. M, SVB, Whit).

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:25 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Heard about it but haven't had the opportunity to check it out. I'm pretty sure I read a post or two somewhere that others are trying to catch this (Dr. M, SVB, Whit).

I mentioned it in the "top 5 tv shows you are watching" or in some other thread but yes...I have been all over it TZDZ...just not on here as much. For AMC to practically call it better or just as good as Breaking Bad or any other show on AMC (Mad Men) etc...then that is a huge honor. I was waiting to here what other people think....not just zombie fans but TV in general fans as well. Its got the great movie quality and its made like a movie and its got the preferred slow moving zombies that everyone enjoys...so its got alot going for it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:33 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I have been watching this one - I didn't think of posting about it here (zombies ate my brain!)

End of the world and survivors fighting to stay alive - that's always a great premise and, if done right, can be very involving. I think it's succeeded so far; Frank Darabont directed the 1st episode and he set the tone. As in The Mist (2007), he doesn't rely on flashy gimmicks like quick cuts, jump cuts and so on - it's pretty straightforward. There are some grisly and even really gnarly scenes with blood & guts, but any time these come on, I just think of 'em as Hollywood prosthetics. That's my way of handling it. :yack:

The only part I didn't much like was when the main character, who used to be a deputy, runs out of gas; this is early, back in the first episode. By this point, he already knew the situation - why would he allow himself to run out of gas like that? (especially with his prior experience). This all led to his getting a horse and then later to what was the most disturbing scene for me. Ugh, I dunno why this was necessary. (btw, I was used to films like the Dawn of the Dead remake in 2004, where-in the zombies are only interested in human flesh)

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:41 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Kaptain Kirk wrote:
This all led to his getting a horse and then later to what was the most disturbing scene for me. Ugh, I dunno why this was necessary. (btw, I was used to films like the Dawn of the Dead remake in 2004, where-in the zombies are only interested in human flesh)

This reminds me of George Romero's latest zombie flick in the "undead/walking dead" films...with the horses....zombies craving Horse Flesh lol..etc....connected possibly? Or some sort of inside joke or nod to Romero. Some sort of zombie progression/evolution away from eating people? Ironic nonetheless....

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 am 

I don't know if anyone here has seen the latest episode of this jewel, but the series is good and its getting better.

I think this latest episode, (although slow in spots) was the best show of the series so far. :twisted:

Must see TV indeed...........

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:54 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My oldest and her boyfriend are all into it. Unfortunately, Holiday Inn and Radison's don't have AMC on their channel line ups. Looking forward to viewing them when I get back home over the Turkeyday Weekend.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:20 am 

DrMoreau wrote:
My oldest and her boyfriend are all into it. Unfortunately, Holiday Inn and Radison's don't have AMC on their channel line ups. Looking forward to viewing them when I get back home over the Turkeyday Weekend.

Wow. I would have thought you might have snuck a viewing in online while you were on the road.
But, saving these episodes for a Thanksgiving treat is a great idea also.

I mentioned it above ^^, but I am thinking you will want a section for this here on the board, after you check it out.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one............

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:57 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Seems that this show is blowing up so quick it made the cover of Entertainment Weekly and hailed as the best new series. Well I think they would have been saying regardless what the show was about....as long as it was made by AMC since they seem to have great TV. Anyway....I heard the first season is only 6 episodes long and the 2nd season wont even start until next year.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:23 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
It's a pretty good series and I'm watching it, but zombies are boring to me.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:18 am 

You guys that are watching this series, have to check this out.
I found this on stagevu...........

There are no real spoilers either, and its only 17 minutes long.
In fact, if you haven't seen the series yet its a decent little inside look, at what you are getting when you give it a go.

The Making of the Walking Dead 2010

No video? Get the DivX Web Player for Windows or Mac

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:15 am 

One note that I forgot to add -

Right around the 16:30 mark, one of the guys involved with the show, says this..........

"This is like, the Twilight Zone of our generation. Because I think the stories are moving and compelling, threatening and scary, romantic and sad all at the same time".
Other than this load of shite he brazenly tosses at us, this is a great behind-the-scenes look into this show.

Anytime anyone compares something of today to "The Twilight Zone", it falls short... WITHOUT FAIL.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

It's not even close to the creativity of TZ. It's just a better than average zombie movie. There's nothing TZ about it. Geez! That statement pisses me off...it's not even in the same league as TZ.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:49 am 

Twilight Zone - The show all others STILL try to emulate and compete against - even the remakes - and all fall short. Just goes to show that if you can't beat the giant, try to stand on its shoulders for a while.

I watched the 1st 4 installments over the Thanksgiving Weekend and I see no TZ influence here. They should have stated that it is like: George A. Romero version of "Lost"

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:26 am 

DrMoreau wrote:

I watched the 1st 4 installments over the Thanksgiving Weekend and I see no TZ influence here. They should have stated that it is like: George A. Romero version of "Lost"

I thought the ending of the 3rd episode was very strong. ;)

Anyway, you said Romero version of Lost..........

My words to Rorschach were..... " (UK series)Survivors meets Zombies".

So certainly we are thinking along the same lines.
This is hope for a strong show in the vast wasteland of television nowadays.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:49 am 

All I can say is WHAT THE f@%k?......

I located this article this morning, on "our" new hot show.

It was entitled--

-------------------------------------------------------------
"The Walking Dead Kills Its Entire Writing Team"

Despite ‘The Walking Dead’s monster ratings, series executive producer Frank Darabont has fired the AMC zombie-drama’s entire writing team and is looking to hire freelance scribes to pen the already-ordered second season, Deadline reports.

It’s a bold move by Darabont, who co-wrote/rewrote all six episodes of season one. It’s also a move that could cause major issues with the powers that be in the Writers Guild. The only current U.S. series that employs the freelance writer model is ‘Torchwood,’ which has the loophole advantage of being produced by the BBC.

The 13-episode second season of ‘The Walking Dead’ is slated to resume in October 2011. The first season finale airs this Sunday (Dec. 4) at 10/9c on AMC.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sigh...... :(

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Seeing as Darabont rewrote every episode of the series so far I don't see losing the writing team as much of a hindrance in quality of the show. The problem will be what backlash they get from the writer's guild. Remember how the writers strike destroyed several good TV shows a few years ago. I'd hate to see them not be able to finish putting out such a good product for such a dumb move.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
All I can say is WHAT THE f@%k?......

It was entitled--

-------------------------------------------------------------
"The Walking Dead Kills Its Entire Writing Team"

I don't think the writing made the show any better or worse. It is what it is. Its about zombies....contrary to what people are saying...I dont think it will make a difference. I'm just glad they didn't stretch out the whole "Man looks for his wife/son during disaster" scenario cliche' BS for more then two episodes.
Its a show about zombies ...again .........Leave the great undead writing to Romero, f@%k it HIRE Romero.... hes the only one who could make sense of that shite anyway.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:15 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

StillValleyBard wrote:
I don't think the writing made the show any better or worse. It is what it is. Its about zombies....contrary to what people are saying...I dont think it will make a difference. I'm just glad they didn't stretch out the whole "Man looks for his wife/son during disaster" scenario cliche' BS for more then two episodes.
Its a show about zombies ...again .........Leave the great undead writing to Romero, f@%k it HIRE Romero.... hes the only one who could make sense of that shite anyway.

You pinpointed one of the details that made me like this show more than the average. After the 1st couple of episodes I thought they'd have the guy looking for his wife & son the whole season, always just missing them, stretching it out a la Lost and many other modern shows. I was groaning prematurely and was pleasantly surprised it didn't go that way.

Maybe that's one of the things Darabont re-wrote and why he fired everyone. But, I'm just guessing here. :wtf:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:57 am 

Personally - I think it's a great move. Fan fiction is 90% better than the tried and boringly true Hollywood formula. Let some creative unknowns take a crack at it. This series - after all - is based on the graphic novels of relative unknowns and cleaned for the screen. If it brings back creativity to television, I say, go for it Frank.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:45 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So this show is basically about survivors of a zombie outbreak with some sheriff character as the lead right? So they at least explain what turned people into zombies and do they have interesting, inventive ways to kill them?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 am 

Anthony wrote:
So this show is basically about survivors of a zombie outbreak with some sheriff character as the lead right? So they at least explain what turned people into zombies and do they have interesting, inventive ways to kill them?

Anthony- its well worth a watch.

After the attention it received from many board members, DrM and I decided to have it here on the board.

Its in the members only section, in its own little corner.... located here ----------> the-walking-dead-f154.html

Each episode has its own thread to comment on and watch right there.
I don't believe there is much commentary on the episodes specifically, but personally I am going to have to rewatch before getting going on them.
As with some of our other things we have and host, the picture quality is very good, and I often watch it fullscreen on my 19'' monitor. :dance:

At present, there have been 6 episodes and all are here on the board.
Season 2 is supposedly in production.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Season 1 coming to DVD. Anyone order their copy yet?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:50 pm 

Anthony wrote:
Season 1 coming to DVD. Anyone order their copy yet?

Yeppers :D

Unread postPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:23 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

I met the young actress who stars in this program. She was pretty cool! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:44 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I had the last two episodes of this on my DVR. I just deleted them. This show was not very interesting. I do have an interest in apocalyptic tales, but those that involve zombies bore me.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:23 am 

Take a look boys................. as far as I know this just hit the web in the last day or so.
Its not much, but its a bit of a teaser at least.

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/TVhRXkhqQE3n ... -2-trailer

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 pm 

Nice!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:04 am 

I saw them filming a scene for an upcoming episode here in Atlanta, the other day. By the time I found a place to park and use the bathroom they were out for a lunch break. :(

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:43 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Ooh, good to know season 2 is on its way. Future Mrs got me season 1 for my birthday. She so loves me ;)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:48 am 

OK.

So basically two upstanding board members (at least) have gotten the DVD sets, and not even one has written about them.
(Are they worth getting, how are the extras, etc etc)

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 pm 

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
OK.

So basically two upstanding board members (at least) have gotten the DVD sets, and not even one has written about them.
(Are they worth getting, how are the extras, etc etc)

TZ DZ Fan

As a fan of the show - definitely a must own. If you have the choice, Blu-Ray is always pristine and DVDs are becoming the VHS of the 20-teens.
Downside - no commentary and the extras are all available on-line or On Demand. However, it is a complete package with the making, behind the scenes and interview clips. Nothing spectacular but worth owning.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:44 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Not had the chance to check more than the first couple of episodes but very promising. The menus and image are nicely done. Not checked the extras yet.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So how do people turn into zombies on this show? Some kind of biological agent? virus?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Anthony wrote:
So how do people turn into zombies on this show? Some kind of biological agent? virus?

I'm only 2 episodes in and they haven't said yet. They did a "28 Days Later" style beginning so I relly don't know as of yet.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:02 am 

Anthony wrote:

OK Anthony......... click here ----> viewforum.php?f=154

All 6 of the episodes are right here onthe board.

Days Gone By is the first. Ep #101.

Video looks damn good at full screen.

By the way, they DO* begin to explain how it happened, but its in the 6th episode from what I remember.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I don't want to watch it until I know. I guess they haven't fully explained it yet.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:47 am 

OK, I guess you cats have not seen this one yet either.

Finally a REAL TRAILER concerning season 2. (over 4 and a half minutes too FTW!)
I guess this will have to carry us over for a couple more months.
Hopefully we will have more of a full season, instead of a 6 episode burst.

Check this one out...

Link

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:44 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Ok the first 30 seconds of that trailer....pure gold. I have never seen a swarm of zombies chasing a man like that before in that fashion...thats got to be a undead first. Looks really cool...loved that overhead shot about 20 seconds in...

I'm still not a huge fan of the show....hope season 2 has more promise..

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm 

Looks promising. I just hope they don't do a "Survivors" move and cancel the series just as it begins to hit its stride.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Agreed. FInally finished season 1 and I'm quite impressed. Looking forward to the next one :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:25 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Bad news for Walking Dead. AMC decided to fire show runner Darabont because he bitched a bit too much about the budget cuts for season 2. With Darabont already getting rid of the writers from season 1 and now AMC getting rid of Darabont and all the actors on the show running scared because if they bitch about money they could easily become zombie chow in the show that leaves us with a show that could quickly go downhill.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:35 pm 

I'm curious as to how much of season 2 is already in the can? Being as it starts in October and they have the blurb shots.

An August 10th Report for the curious back story: Why Was Frank Darabont Fired from 'The Walking Dead'?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:34 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Sadly, that sounds to me like the first call for the end of the show :(

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 pm 

Just off the web............

AMC Announces Supersized ‘Walking Dead’ Premiere

The dead will live a little longer.

AMC will air a special 90-minute premiere of “The Walking Dead,” the network said Thursday.

The hit zombie drama returns on Oct. 16 at 9/8c, with Season 2 being split into two parts. The first six episodes will air after the premiere. Followed by a brief hiatus, the series will resume airing its last six episodes on Sunday, Feb. 12. That timing will likely coincide with the debut of the newly-announced Kevin Smith reality series, “Secret Stash.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read that carefully. 6 episodes, then roughly 2 months off holding back new episodes, then they air the last 6.

I don't know who came up with this "brilliant" idea, but it just sounds like spreading out what episodes they have, and using the extra time to see how it goes over and whether or not to come up with another season. :x

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:07 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

They started doing that crap with Doctor Who. Very annoying. I'm guessing it allows them more time to write and make episodes while releasing on time but it's crap quite frankly.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:09 am 

MrRSerling wrote:
They started doing that crap with Doctor Who. Very annoying. I'm guessing it allows them more time to write and make episodes while releasing on time but it's crap quite frankly.

Agreed. Since when does DW get a mid series break from Summer to Fall?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:51 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

As long as they do a proper endin, I'll watch.