Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tales from the Darkside
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:05 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Just started watching this show. Not that bad but dated badly. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I like a lot of the stories. It can be pretty demented. I think it's dated but what sticks out to me is how cheap it looks.

I do like the show, though. I've almost bought the DVDs numerous times.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I used to love this show growing up. When I tried watching a couple episodes that aired on Chiller, I almost threw up. Like whit said, it looks cheap, so yeah it definitely appears dated. I would have to watch several to see episodes I liked. I honestly don't remember specific episodes so it would be like watching for the first time. The only thing that stood out for me, at least in remembering the show, was the main theme -- that really creeped me out.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I'm surprised we dont have a section for TFTD yet. I could have sworn we did? Didn't NYR94 post something awhile back about it?
I was first introduced to Tales from the Darkside after renting a few VHS tapes of the show back in the early 90s, having already been a fan of Tales from the Crypt I knew they were unrelated but similar and I was to young to remember specifically what episodes there were but I remember enjoying them. Yes the introduction was/is very creepy and freaked me out.
George Romero had a hand in making this show, so it similar to Creepshow in a way, perhaps sort of a follow up.
When TFTD was finally released to DVD, I snatched up the first set on Netflix as soon as it came out. I thought it was great. Simple stories, not to dark and not to light.
Now for some odd reason they dont carry it anymore on Netflix, just the last seasons. Im guessing somebody either loved it enough to steal, or they lost it.
This show is great because its almost the middle line between a Twilight Zone and a Tales from the Crypt. An in between anthology horror, but still entertaining.

The dark side is always there, waiting for us to enter, waiting to enter us.
Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:09 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
We discussed the DVDs were finally coming about.
This show and "Monsters" were ultra 80s video cheap but had some good stories and known A and B list actors.

There was a UK series - also along these line - that were pretty decent, Urban Gothic.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

"Monsters"! Yeah that was another show I really enjoyed as a kid. The opening theme was also very memorable for me. I don't think Monsters is on DVD though, right?

I've got to find time to search and watch eps from both shows.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:28 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Was Monsters a horror anthology? What were some of the best episodes of that? I still plan on getting TFTD, but will keep a set a friend made for me on SP DVD-R discs from Chiller because I hear some of the original music is altered on the DVD releases, but will get the official set nonetheless. What are your guy's favorites? The only ones I really remember liking a lot were Basher Malone, since I grew up a big wrestling fan and Word Processor of the Gods, kind of an updated A World of His Own. Levitation was pretty good too. I seem to also remember one with a talking mummy and with drag queen actor Divine not in drag, but bald? What were those about and how did they end? I kind of forget now.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I remember a TFTD with Fritz Weaver. It had something to do with a monster in a closet. I know I'm not getting this mixed up with Fritz and his monster under the stairs segment called "The Crate" in "Creepshow".

"Monsters" the TV show. Yep. I remember that series vaguely. It looked really cut-rate, too. I don't think that is on DVD.

Another show that looks like they spent about a buck and a half on each episode is "The Ray Bradbury Theater".

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:54 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Monsters was an anthology series, yeah horror genre I would say.

I can honestly say I don't remember any episodes from Monsters or TFTD but I'd like to find the time to watch some of each of these.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah me too, will do, when I get a chance. Monsters and Bradbury sound good. I'll probably go through AHP and AHH first though, then possibly Tales From The Crypt. Catching up on a set of Journeyman, new Beavis and Butthead and boxing and MMA careers for now. You never know with cheap budgets though. NG had a low budget and turned out some good, even great stories. I guess they had a bunch of old cheap sets or old stuff they could make newer sets out of and had the old pros from Universal that knew how to do effects on the cheap from the old monster movies.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Finally finished the lot. Quite enjoyed them. A good mix of brilliant and terrible episodes (as with all shows) but the good outweighed the bad.

Not sure what next. Original Outer Limits or Ray Bradbury Theatre?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm 
Director of the National Post

MrRSerling wrote:
Not sure what next. Original Outer Limits or Ray Bradbury Theatre?

My vote is for TOL.
I am going to start watching a few of them soon as well.
(I just recently watched and commented again on Keeper of the Purple Twilight)

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:07 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

As far as Tales From The Darkside...I loved the Pilot...Trick or Treat...and figure it was most everyone's favorite. I bought season 1 just to get the pilot. Any other recommendations.

I concur with TZ DZ...I vote TOL, too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:05 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Congrats on finishing the series. That is a goal I have yet to achieve.
As far as whats next for you...Ive never seen Ray Bradbury Theatre and only one episode of TOL, so I say flip a coin.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:32 pm 
District Post Master
District Post Master

I started TOL but stopped for some reason. Don't recall why. It wasn't because I didn't like it, quite the opposite. Anyway, I'll start it again :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:37 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
MrRSerling wrote:
I started TOL but stopped for some reason. Don't recall why. It wasn't because I didn't like it, quite the opposite. Anyway, I'll start it again :D

Good choice :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:53 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

StillValleyBard wrote:
As far as whats next for you...Ive never seen Ray Bradbury Theatre and only one episode of TOL, so I say flip a coin.

The Outer Limits is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, better than Ray Bradbury theater.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:07 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

The Outer Limits is far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, better than Ray Bradbury theater.

Co-sign.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

One TFTD that I'd like to see again but haven't found even on YouTube is IT ALL COMES OUT IN THE WASH. It had Vince Edwards as a ruthless businessman who finds a laundry that can "wash away sins" along with the sinner's clothing, and James Hong as the launderer. It seemed like a pretty clever idea, and the two of them were very good in it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 pm 

Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
One TFTD that I'd like to see again but haven't found even on YouTube is IT ALL COMES OUT IN THE WASH. It had Vince Edwards as a ruthless businessman who finds a laundry that can "wash away sins" along with the sinner's clothing, and James Hong as the launderer. It seemed like a pretty clever idea, and the two of them were very good in it.

Parts 1 and 2. :twisted:

Link

Link

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:40 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

whitsbrain wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

WB....U R 2 funny...but right on the money. It's not a comparison at all but pure contrast.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:36 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:

Parts 1 and 2. :twisted:

Link

Link

TZ DZ fan
Thank you, I guess I just kept missing it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

Co-sign.

True, I should have voted for TOL, the flipping a coin suggestion is just based on having no awareness of Bradbury Theatre and little outer limits. I tend to confuse TOL with AHP. Im sure all these abbreviations dont help.
Based on what everyone here has said it appears you are right. The one TOL I saw was very similar to TZ, even with one of its actors. (cliff robertson?)

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I have so many shows to catch up on, it's ridiculous. I still have to get through Thriller. I might try another anthology after that, maybe Tales from the Crypt, Outer Limits or AHP, I'll have to see what I already have and what I still need to buy. Luckily, most new shows are crap so the watch list for me doesn't get much bigger over time. Yeah, Darkside and Bradbury seem to have fewer quality episodes, from what I've seen. Speaking of anthologies, anybody ever watch The Hitshhiker? The guy that hosted it was on the '80s New TZ. I believe it was a dramatic anthology. I might check it out if all the episodes were released on DVD or if I could find it, anyone like this show or know much about it?