Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tin Man
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:52 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
The new SciFi channel adaptation of OZ. Very loosely based mind you, but updated for a current generation.

I saw the 1st installment of the mini-series last night and enjoyed it. Anyone Else?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:05 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Definitely wanted to catch it, but was watching Dexter instead, and forgot to set anything up to record it. I think its being rerun in full this coming weekend so I'll try catching it then. The concept sounded pretty cool and I was very interested in seeing it. Glad to hear something positive about it.

Did you guys like Sci-Fi's mini-series last year (about this time) The Lost Room?

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:18 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

I've got it set up for a season pass on TiVo. Will be checking it out soon...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:20 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Missed it! I was watching Dexter as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 pm 

Ah, the joy of On Demand, I can watch Dexter anytime. It was a hard choice, but I figure I'll catch Dexter tonite before part 2.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:39 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Did you guys like Sci-Fi's mini-series last year (about this time) The Lost Room?

Some doors are better left closed. I saw the previews but never had a chance to catch any of it. Kept waiting for repeats or DVD so I could rent it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

DrMoreau wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Some doors are better left closed. I saw the previews but never had a chance to catch any of it. Kept waiting for repeats or DVD so I could rent it.

Ah, ok. Well it's definitely on DVD.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:10 am 

Part 2 was on last night. Things are beginning to shape up fast.

Spoiler

The Wizard is dead, toto is a trader, and Dorthy aka DG starts to remember her childhood - she is the cause of her sister turning evil.

Can't wait til part 3.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:34 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
I am enjoying it immensely and all the hidden references to the 1939 classic are funny too.
I roared when the evil sister said, "The bitch has gone to see the Wizard!".... :lol:

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:07 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i just got through watching PART III...

i can't say i liked it, but i can't say i didn't completely not like it either.
i love GREASE II and everybody hates it. in my defense i tell people to watch GREASE II for what it is and not compare it to GREASE cause if you comapre it, you'll not like II...well....TIN MAN spent most of the series MAKING ME compare it to TWoOz.....so that helped me have negatives.
i swear if you closed your eyes, the music would almost make you think you were watching a STAR WARS movie...
i started enjoying it more as the character development allowed us to see how the two girls became who and what they were. until then, it was way too far out there to get into. once explained, it was so much better.
the shape shifter dog was a bit too much even for me to accept in fantasy world here, though. the rest of the characters were ok.
so where did her farm parents end up? did i miss any explanation on where they went after the tornado? they started to deceive DG and she figured out what was going on and that was it, i think. believe me, i was half aslep here and had to rewind it a bunch...
after DG was captured my the colored guys (can i say that in here 8) ) i was waiting for an army of wookies to come kick their asses for invading their homes. :D
ok, 1-10...let me give it a 5.8.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:40 pm 

Tin Man Review
!!!Contains Spoilers!!!!

Tin Man was a fun ride initially, but the 3rd installment didn't quite fit the 1st two parts of this 3 part mini-series. But before I get ahead of myself, lets start where all good stories start, at the beginning.

First off, bear in mind that this is not a remake of the original "Wizard Of Oz," it is a continuation of the world many generations later. A lot of liberal use of the original story is used as background history for the world. There are references to Dorothy getting the Trees to throw apples at her so that she would have them to eat, the dangers in the woods - Lions and tigers and bears - Oh My! The world of OZ, or the O. Z. - Outer Zone - has advanced greatly from the time-line we know. Glinda the Good Witch is gone, as is the scarecrow, lion, Dorothy, and Tin Man.

However, the Wizard is still around, even though we remember him departing from the Emerald City via his balloon in the 1939 classic. This OZ is a lot more violent and cutting edge between Magic and Tech - yet not completely tech oriented. They have cartridge firing guns, a hippie van, and even some late 40's-esque scientific gadgets, but they lack Airplanes, cars, and other modern conveniences. Some of the realms looked as futuristic as current LA or NY, then others looked completely Amish or late Victorian. The mish-mosh mixture often left you scratching your head as to what we were supposed to believe or envision. All in all, I got that it was Canada - same scenic settings used by SG-1, X-Files, and other Van Couver shot shows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Characters:

DG - our modern day Dorothy played by Zooey Deschanel. Now, for any fan of the original movie/book, this was clearly an updated use of Dorothy's full name, Dorothy Gale. {They reveal this late in Episode 3 for the slower people who didn't get the connection from the get go I guess.} DG is a modern girl and for anyone who ever played a role playing game, she is pure PC (Player Character) from start to finish. She is never over the top - thank God - nor is she under playing the character, she is just trying to discover what is going on, and for me, it works. She is practical and motivated without the unnecessary emotions constantly misguiding her.

Tin Man - Cain - played by Neal McDonough. Once a sheriff or Marshal working under the authority of the Wizard (Now referred to as the Magic Man.) Apparently, all these police types were nicknamed, Tin Man, which is cool - but when we first find him imprisoned in a metal sarcophagus, you'd think that that was what the reference was too. So, as a star wearing cop-type, Tin Man also works, just not as dramatic as an escapee from the metal suit. Cain's motivation is revenge - for being imprisoned and over the loss of his family. Again, in role playing terms - he is a classic lawful good/paladin type. The revenge he seeks must be from the good side, blah blah, blah. Well played role.

Glitch - the 1/2 brain zipper head. A very likable character to replace the scarecrow from the classic story. A mixture of light humor ad light drama keeps him fairly entertaining. I say fairly because the writing doesn't keep him consistent in what he can and can't remember, and when he can and can't remember it. Very effective as a story progression tool and apparently from the onset, a once brilliant man and great inventor, that has had his brain removed. Again, his continuity on intelligence and recollect weakens his buy-into ratio. Alan Cummings - however - is so damn fine an actor that he almost makes you forget the characters developmental handicap until the writer throws out a line to make us remember that he is a half brain.

RAW - The cowardly lion. Now, perhaps the most interesting addition to the original concept idea. Apparently, the anamorphic lion race on this planet are psychic and empathic. The are used by the Sorceress - the wicked witch updated - to foretell the future, interrogation of uncooperative prisoners, etc. However, they are often coherced with shock sticks - hence the reason they are often seen as cowardly. Good character development that made the lion into more of an intriguing character.

The Magic Man aka The Great and Terrible Wizard of OZ - this is the original wizard with a lot of Timothy Leary influence running through him. OK - I don't know whether it was Richard Dreyfuss turning in such a fine performance or the whole twist placed upon the Wizard character, but I really liked him. An Acid Head Genius that, when he is coherent and off the "Vapors," is sly and intelligent as the Wizard should be. Dreyfuss made this part his own by adding his quirky nature to the character rather than try to turn in an impression of Frank Morgan's original performance.

Azkadellia - The Sorceress. Kathleen Robertson gave 2 performances here. (1) as DG's Sister and as the possessed Wicked Witch with flying monkeys that are conjured from her mystical tattoos ... around her breasts. Her flip flop mood often made her complex as well as bitchy. Which was what the role needed. Loved Margret Hamilton, but lets face it, a very one dimensional character in the original. Azkadellia is truly a psycho nut-case bitch that flips on a dime. Nice villain.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This mini-series starts out very strong. It has a quick introduction to our new Dorothy, her parents, and her creative talent - then we start the show. Azkadellia send her "Long Coats" - un updated version of her guard with better weapons and uniforms - back to our world to try to find the a light bringer one of the Lion Psychics forewarn her about. To help her escape, her parents push her into the tornado that the Long Coats use for realm travel which takes her to the O.Z. Her first encounter is with some very aboriginal munchkins in war paint and the whole tribal schtick. After she is captured is when we meet Glitch, also captured and imprisoned in the same cage. We learn a little about Glitch as they escape and discover the Tin Man, Cain, who has been incarcerated in his metal suit/prison and forced to watch his capture and subsequent kidnapping of his family by the Long Coats via a 3D Holographic projector that has been in loop mode for approximately 10 years. Setting Cain free, he joins the party as they travel to find her parents who also escaped via the tornado. Along the Way they discover, RAW, the lion man who has been captured by some rather nasty beasties whose name escapes me presently. They help him escape and he joins the party. As they follow what remnants remain of the Yellow Brick Road, they come across Mill Town - the name of the town her father always spoke of growing up in. They soon discover that her parents are actually robots set to protect her and keep her safe from Azkadellia back on Earth. To find out more, she needs to go see the Wizard in the Emerald City.

Well, the Emerald City ain't what it use to be. It's a dirty metropolis reminiscent of New York or Los Angeles in the Early 1970's. Sneaking inside, the find the Wizard, or as he is now known, the Magic Man, who does a Las Vegas Magic and Philosophy act while stoned off his ass on Vapors, the local ACID for lack of better terms. When he has a brief lucid moment, he informs her that her real mother is alive but held prisoner by Azkadellia. DG must find the Emerald pf power that contains the magic of the many realms - coincidently, the very item Azkadellia has been looking for since she began he conquest of OZ. As they set out upon their quest, they are hampered by Azkadellia's troops and experience a series of flash backs when DG remembers growing up in OZ. She also remembers the Azkadellia is her sister, who had once killed DG, but was brought back to life by her mother - a sacrifice which caused her mother to transfer all her power to DG.

DG is briefly captured, then escapes but not before seeing the Wizard killed by Azkadellia. To help track and keep an eye on DG, the Tutor aka Toto in human form, is released from prison and told to find DG and drop little rainbow coins so that Azkadellia's flying monkeys can keep track of them as the search for the emerald. Along their travels, we find the area DG grew up in and she starts to have vivid remembrances of an old cave where the Wicked Witch was imprisoned many years before. They unlock the witches cell, and although together, DG and Azkadellia are stronger than the witch, DG runs away in fear leaving her sister to be possessed by the Witch and the flying monkeys.

As we progress, we find out that Azkadellia has been making a Sun Seeder - one of Glitches inventions - matter of fact - the invention that caused Azkadellia to remove his brain and use it as a computer. With the Emerald and the Sun Seeded, Az plans to forever cast the Realms of the O. Z. into eternal darkness during an upcoming eclipse. More history, more searching, then we discover that DG has a father still alive. They find him, he takes her to the Emerald, where Azkadellia captures them both, as well as the emerald. As they eclipse draws near, the remaining party members break into Azkadellia's castle, thwart her plans while DG manages to separate her sister from the Evil Wicked Witch that has possessed her. The evil witch melts, Az, DG and the parents reunite. The End.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Parts one and two moved at a nice pace and was very entertaining. Part three seemed overtly rushed. The father seemed to be an unmentioned character until the last hour and a blatant rip-off of the original Wiz right down to the Balloon. Toto changing from man to dog and back again seemed far fetched and another unneeded plot twist. The cut and dry ending didn't leave anyone with a warm and fuzzy. Maybe it's just me, but I was waiting for the epilogue to occur - but it never came. Most all other parts one and two seemed very tight most of the time, but the 3rd installment seemed rushed and carelessly delivered so that all the preceding setup was whisked by without any grandeur. Although this mini-series started out as a 9, then stayed in the high 8's, it ended on a 6 for me. Good cast, pretty good story, lousy finale.

DrM

Edit: Corrected sentence break-up due to import from Word and spelling errors.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:08 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

glad you brought all that up.
see, up until Part III came on, i was under the impression that Tin Man WAS a remake of TWoO. seems like i kept reading and hearring that it was a "revision of the story"...that kind of wording tells me it is a remake. well, it wasn't until Tutor showed DG Dorothy Gale's tomb and said that it was her great (or was it great great) grandmother..that is when i realized it WAS a continuation. had i known that before i watched it, i might have enjoyed it far more than i did.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:28 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I wasn't home to watch the re-airing of the mini-series, but word is a DVD release will happen March 2008.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:49 am 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

I thought it was dreadful. :( And I'm not entirely sure Richard Dreyfuss was acting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:54 pm 

mr.garrity wrote:
I thought it was dreadful. :( And I'm not entirely sure Richard Dreyfuss was acting.

Always hard to tell with, Dreyfuss. Certifiable whack job or genius - you make the call.

Welcome to the Board, Mr. Garrity!