Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:11 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
So yeah, anybody watching this show? It's my favorite new show of this season. It's about a family, The Powells, that goes on a trip to Brazil. Their private plane crashes and afterwards, they somehow gain these superpowers. Husband and father Jim is a police sketch artist who can leap great distances and stop bullets and vehicles crash into him and he walks away unscathed. He then decides to work with his friend George, an assistant district attorney, to help the police catch criminals. Wife and mother Stephanie can run fast like The Flash and is a scientist who tries to figure out how the family gained their powers and the extent of all of their abilities. She, like Jim, also has a sidekick, her lab partner and co-worker Katie. So far only George, Katie and Jim's brother Mike know about the family's powers. Daughter Daphne can read minds, like the cop character on Heroes, plus she can see people's pasts and memories when she touches them. Son JJ develops super intelligence. Very cool and fun show IMO, because they're not some crime fighting superhero family like The Incredibles, but instead focuses on them trying to live normal lives and be a close knit family.

So anybody else here watch this show?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
1st hearing of it. What network is it on?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Julie Benz, 'Rita' from 'Dexter' is on this show. Haven't seen it, but it's on ABC.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah it's on ABC, Tuesday nights, usually before the revived V series with Elizabeth Mitchell. Is there a thread here on the original or revived V?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I believe there is - most likely buried somewhere in the television topic.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Looks like it was another rerun this week. Hopefully we'll get a new episode next week. I'm wondering about Katie's boyfriend. He originally worked for Stephanie's boss, whose the villian on the show and seems to be giving these supervillians their powers from certain chemicals made at the science lab he owns and that Dr. Powell works at. The weird thing is, the villian's powers seem to wear off after a while, while the Powell's powers don't. I wonder how long it'll take for them to reveal how that happens. Anyway, Katie is Steph's partner at the lab and best friend. The guy she's dating originally worked for the boss/bad guy, but then he decided he didn't want to anymore, because he didn't like all the lying and betrayal involved after he started to really have feelings for Katie. At first, he only dated her to get closer to finding out about the Powells and their abilities. The other thing is, this boyfriend's powers not only wear off after a while, but he seems to get weak and go through withdrawal, so who knows if he'll survive much longer or go back to working for the bad guy.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:25 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I've been watching it since it began.
The series started pretty well, but at the point that the repeats began some weeks ago, it started to meander, as if losing focus. It's like no one is really sure where to take it; the concept is great but you gotta do somethin with it.

Chiklis as the dad had the potential to be the most interesting character - a bald, smaller version of the Hulk. His leaping scenes are pretty good FX stuff for TV. But, it started to get sloppy after a couple of episodes. This guy can lift about 5 tons; lately there have been scenes of him punching bad guys, and it doesn't look like he's holding back much. Can you picture how a normal man would take a punch from a guy who can lift 5 tons? However, as depicted, the bad guys fall away as if punched by a heavyweight boxer, not a superhuman. There were scenes in earlier episodes where the bad guys would go flying; as I said, someone's getting sloppy on the show.

Also, in the beginning, the show made a big deal about how if someone held a gun up real close to Chiklis' character, the bullet would slightly penetrate his skin; but, isn't the velocity of a bullet slower just out the barrel of a gun? Doesn't it pick up speed a few feet out? I guess someone here who's certain about this (guns, bullets) and physics laws should check me on this.

But, the main problem for me is I think that Chiklis was miscast. I'm not saying this just because I'm used to him being a bad-ass on The Shield series. He just doesn't have a handle on how to portray an average dad; he's always perplexed or confused, a very one-note performance so far. All he succeeds at projecting so far is that his character isn't too bright (the problem is that he's not stupid; he just comes across that way).

And, finally, the show's plot is just copying from the series Heroes; you have these sinister behind-the-scenes forces, headed by the sinister-pretending-to-be-nice guy played by Stephen Collins (this guy even reminds me of a key regular character on Heroes, as if he's his brother). It all comes across as a retread of the Heroes plots. It's somewhat disappointing to me, as I was hoping for a fresh take on all this superpowers stuff.

Still, it's not a bad show, just one that needs to develop more fresh ideas and a solid direction. And Chiklis has to get his act together. :?

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well put. I actually like this show better than Heroes because the Powell family tries to just live a regular ordinary life, except for the dad, who uses his powers to try to help people by catching bad guys. I like Chiklis as the average guy who gets to be the hero. Why Julie Benz would be married to a guy like Michael Chiklis is a bit of a mystery though.

That's the thing I don't like about a lot of current shows. It used to be the dad had the more prominent role, while the mom was more in the background. If you look at most shows from about the '90s to the present though, you'll notice most of the time the wife and mother is some skinny, smart hot babe, while the husband and father is some fat, blue collar slob whose lucky to have her or as Bill Maher once put it the guy is "some fat f*#k whose lucky to have her." Of the shows I like, I can think of The Simpsons, Family Guy, Still Standing and now this show. Or the wife is way better looking like on According to Jim or The George Lopez show. That's what I liked about Boy Meets World. Both the mother and father were thin, good looking, smart and aged well and both gave good, smart, sound advice to their children and their kids' friends. That's how more shows should be, equal, not superior.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:09 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So now daughter Daphne can not only read minds, but she can see into people's pasts when she touches them, kind of a reverse Dead Zone and now can also plant thoughts into people's minds as a way to control them? Damn, this girl is powerful. I liked the twist of how J.J. gets a date with a popular girl and, instead of using him like you'd expect, she actually likes him, but J.J. can't go through with being in a relationship with her, because he's still thinking about his ex-girlfriend. Bailey was like "you're blowing ME off?" Nice guest appearance by Ethan Suplee as a guy that can turn himself into mist. Apparently, he was part of some experimental program in prison that gave people these special abilities. So Stephanie's boss, Dr. King is getting people injected with stuff that is giving them these powers turning them into some kind of supervillians. The mist guy tried to kill him, but Jim and Steph saved him. You gotta figure they'll somehow end up killing him though in some kind of major final battle, if one of the supervillians doesn't do it in cold blood first.

And Joshua, who was known as The Watcher, is still using his telekinetic powers, but they haven't mentioned again yet about his abilities wearing off after a while. My guess is he either goes back to work for Dr. King so he can still get the serum he needs or that he comes clean to Steph and Katie, so they can figure out a way for his powers to become permanent, like they are for the Powells.

Next week's episode looks good, with the return of shapeshifter Victoria Maddow posing as the Powells and trying to kill one of them.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I did like how the latest episode advanced the various plot threads (the daughter discovering an addition to her powers, for example), especially the wife, the super-speedster & scientist, getting clued to the fact that her boss may not be what he seems. I was getting worried that the boss (Stephen Collins) would continue with his secret agenda and the heroes would continue to be clueless about it, episode after episode, endlessly. This all seems like a step in a better direction.

btw, in regard to your previous post about how on TV shows, great-looking females are always paired with very average-looking guys, I first noticed this about a decade ago... I was watching one of those shows - I think it was a comedy sitcom-type show like Friends - with 3 or 4 other people, and commented on how one always sees a hot chick as the girlfriend of a goofy-looking loser guy on these shows. This all happens probably because almost all actresses on TV have to be good-looking; but, with guys, there's more slack. Invariably, it ends up with the formula of looker female paired with average-looking dude in many cases. This was done recently, I think, on the Big Bang Theory TV show. It didn't really make any sense.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well now with the shapeshifter out of the picture, the Powells have to find a way to figure out what's really going on with Dr. King and what he's really up to. And Joshua said that this is bigger than Dr. King, so maybe at some point he could end up being taken out, because there's a bigger more powerful nefarious villain pulling his strings. And they did acknowledge Joshua's condition again in this episode, which I liked too. Now Stephanie is trying to come up with a chemical that will treat his condition, while preventing anymore damage to his internal organs. So it would be no more withdrawal, but also no more powers. Joshua's done what's known in fiction and wrestling as a "face turn", a bad guy turned good. The opposite would be a "heel turn", like when Eddie Brock puts on the black Spiderman costume and becomes Venom or countless movies and TV shows when a guy turns on his friend and becomes a bad guy.

-- Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm --

Ooh, this one was good, No Ordinary Proposal. Anyone else see it? Got any speculation on what might happen with Joshua now? Here are my guesses:

1. He goes back to work for Dr. King and ends up dead, either from the Powells or one of the other "supers" created by King
2. He goes after the Powells himself and dies after a lengthy battle
3. His powers start to wear off, but he dies after saving Katie's life before they're completely gone.

Any other theories are welcome.

Also another great guest turn for Anthony Michael Hall. Funny how he plays all these musclebound bad guys after making a career out of playing nice, geeky guys in his younger years. He was great on Community too, as a bully.

Some good character development and advancing of the plot too. The Powell parents, Daphne and the boyfriend, J.J. and his ex-girlfriend, J.J. and his teacher. I don't know why they had the teacher working for Dr. King though, seemed a little convenient. I guess we'll find out soon enough what that problem was that J.J. had to solve on the blackboard at the end. Good episode. Jim seems to really be coming into his own as well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I actually caught half of this episode and it was decent. It made me want to watch further to see what would unfold. Yes, I caught the AMH appearance. Boy, he's aged and put on some bulk since The Dead Zone.

On a not-so-good note, I read this past week's episode scored a new series low in ratings. Things are not looking good for this to continue.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:20 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

As for Joshua, my guess would be that he comes back to help the hero family and gets killed. Just a guess.
Based on the low ratings mentioned above, we may never see him come back.

As for Anthony Michael Hall, I didn't even recognize him in his first scene; in his 2nd scene, I realized, omigosh - that's Anthony Michall Hall :o !! He'd actually bulked up into bully roles way back in films like Edward Scissorhands (1990); his skinny little geek roles ended in the late eighties. He made a good 'supervillain' in this episode - the even stronger foe for a superstrong hero is kind of a classic model for super-hero stories now. It goes back to very old Spider-Man stories from the sixties, like when Spidey first faced a supervillain called the Scorpion or even Doc Ock, who were slightly stronger than him physically. He seemed outmatched, but ended up winning later of course, via speed or smarts. Or, another example is the Hulk first facing the Abomination, an even stronger Hulk-like villain. I liked how the final fight was done.

Hall's villain was really brutal and irredeemable in this episode, showing none of the feelings for his own son that we would expect even from a supervillain. I'm not sure if that made it more 'comic book unreal' fantasy here or was more a reflection of real world issues where people seem more callous & unfeeling these days, as opposed to days of yesteryear. But Hall is always good, a very watchable, energetic performance.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:49 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I just saw it as Hall's character being a mean drunk, which pretty much exists in any time period. Figures, another great show I closely followed is probably going to bite the dust. Who was that guy that people always said was bad luck for shows for years? Wasn't it Ted McGinley? Although, Married...With Children lasted long after he joined the cast, but they still didn't get to do a true finale and he's gotten plenty or work since then, from what I've seen on TV.

But yeah, my point is, I'm like the Ted McGinley of TV Fandom. So the formula seems to be, the more I like show, the quicker it gets cancelled. So if I love a show, it's pretty much done after 1 season, 2 tops, sometimes, just a few episodes. If I really like it, it might last a few years, but won't get to do a true series finale, like Cold Case, lasted 7 years, but the last episode wasn't planned to be the series finale. If I like it, then it might last, like the CSI shows, Law and Order franchise, House, Lie to Me, Castle and if I like it and it's on cable, it's probably got a better shot of lasting and having a decent series run, like The Sopranos, Bored To Death, Californication, Weeds, Monk, Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, White Collar, The Glades, or they last if they're teen shows aired on networks geared towards kids and teens like The Hard Times of RJ Berger, Strange Days at Blake Holsey High, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Victorious, Zoey 101 (more for the supporting cast) and ICarly, which my nieces got me into, oh yeah and Tower Prep on Cartoon Network. Other than House and Castle and Lie to Me, whenever that comes back, I probably won't be watching too many recent shows until several days, weeks, or sometimes even months after they air.

Fans just suck sometimes when it comes to taste in movies or TV shows. I wish they'd go for more original stuff more often. Observe and Report was way funnier than Mall Cop, yet Mall Cop was #1, while Seth Rogen's movie seemed to come and go quickly in theaters. And now it looks like No Ordinary Family is going. This should be one of those shows that should get one of those TV Guide cover stories they used to do called The Best Show You're Not Watching.

Anyway, the next episode doesn't look nearly as good either, so that'll only worsten its chances of survival. Something about Dr. King's employer, Mrs. X, sending someone with some kind of hypnotic power over men to try to control Jim and George. The only up side here it we might get to see who is really in charge of creating all these supervillians. I just wish we could find out why their powers don't last without a serum and the Powells' powers don't seem to wear off.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

You know, I wasn't expecting this episode to be that good, but I liked it. Started out kind of slow, but the ending was really good IMO, very touching. Wife Stephanie has to break the pheromone spell by some enchantress over Jim to keep him from bombing the bulding where her job has taken her. A nice kiss at the end with some fireworks. Another nice moment between Daphne and boyfriend Chris. Stephanie also has to compromise her principles to maintain her cover to find out more about Dr. King. We also got to finally find out whose really in charge as we got a glimpse of Mrs. X in this episode. No Ordinary Love seemed to have the theme of love and trust. Still, no clips for an episode for next week doesn't seem too promising, but at least the show's still being promoted by ABC, unlike Detroit 187, which seems to now be DOA.

Anyone else see this episode?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

A rerun of No Ordinary Detention tonight. Pretty good episode, nothing that great. I did like where Joshua reveals his powers to Katie though and the appearance of the shapeshifter. That leads me to wonder. Did the injection Stephanie later gives to Joshua work and he just still has his powers without the withdrawal or did it just not work at all? If it didn't work, he'd only end up getting sick again and probably die without another injection from Dr. King. If it did, then he'd be more powerful, not having to worry about getting weaker without more injections of the serum. Anyway, looks like another rerun this week and then a new episode in 2 weeks.

Never mind, I checked. Later in the episode where Joshua gets the injection from Dr. Powell, he tries to use his powers while on a bus leaving town and they don't work, so I guess they really are gone.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:04 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Decent episode this week, the next two sound really good. First, Stephanie can now see into the future after her powers are augmented by the trisetum serum, which saved her life and can now see into the future. She has to try to prevent the Powells' superpowers from being exposed to the public. Meanwhile, with George's help, Jim tracks down those responsible for the death of a fellow cop; and Mrs. X tasks an unlikely person to keep tabs on Katie and her unborn child.

Then, Mrs. X kidnaps J.J. and George is held prisoner on a plane spiraling out of control. So it's No Ordinary Future and then No Ordinary Beginning. Looks like Future airs this Saturday instead of Tuesday and then Beginning airs Tuesday the 5th. I'm there dude.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:39 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Damnit, I missed No Ordinary Future. I'll have to either catch it online, on a rerun or on DVD. Next one airs next Tuesday. Looks like it'll be the season finale, hopefully not the series finale though.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Okay, caught No Ordinary Future, liked it. Although, I kind of liked it better when Stephanie could just run fast, so I'm guessing her enhanced power to run into the future would wear off, since that serum wears off eventually. It got better towards the end though, when JJ helps his mom to travel to the future and make it back safely, Jim and Daphne figure out a way to save George without being found out and I thought it was kind of sad when Daphne had to make her boyfriend forget about her and her family's powers, but instead made him forget that they were ever dating, so I guess his memory loss went further back in time.

I'll give my opinions of the finale when I watch it. Feel free to give yours if you've seen these episodes.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Okay, just watched the season finale, No Ordinary Beginning. Good finale. After the first few minutes, it had a motor that just kept picking up speed by the second. The only loose ends were the main villian escaping and the plane full of super baddies, who now have permanant powers. If they're not renewing this show, they should've just taken out Mrs. X and taken out the plane full of supers, that would've been perfect. It was kind of cool seeing the family visited by the government, knowing about their powers and asking for their help to find Mrs. X and the supers. You just know that once whatever govenment agency was done with them, that they'd want to not let the Powells leave and keep working for them or would want to try to take them out. I guess the only hope now would be for someone to take X lady out and for the Powells to use that antidote that Stephanie came up with. Anyway, sucks this show is probably being cancelled. This one and V deserve proper series finales. I'm telling you, producers should just find out before the end of the season if their show is being cancelled, so they can just end it properly. Don't these guys read the magazines and articles online? They should know the ratings for their own shows, so if they're low, just film the ending sooner. That's what the Life on Mars US version creator did and that's what everyone else should do, I don't see what's so difficult about that.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Show has been canceled according to tvseriesfinale.com.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yep, just read it in TV Guide. And Julie Benz is already on some new show on CBS. Really sucks IMO, as this was a really cool show. Kind of The Incredibles or The Secret World of Alex Mack.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:30 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I just heard the one season is coming out on DVD, so I'll be picking this up.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:10 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Any chance of this show making the 1 Season Sensations section here?