All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jericho
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:24 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
"Jericho" 2006-2008 BEYOND????

Season premiere - Original Air Date: 20 September 2006

Stars - Skeet Ulrich, Lennie James, Ashley Scott,Gerald McRaney, Brad Beyer, Pamela Reed,Shoshannah Stern.........

Description -

When Jake Green returns to his Kansas small-town home Jericho, where his dad Johnston is mayor, everyone is preoccupied with petty private business and family matters, but that changes drastically after a completely unexpected explosion. It soon becomes clear there has been a nuclear attack, but neither by whom nor on which scale. Suddenly life in Jericho, and as the inhabitants gradually discover all over the disintegrating USA, becomes a more primordial struggle for survival, where unexperienced dangers, primitive as well as technological, have to be weighed against pressing primal needs, such as food, fuel and self-defense against plunderers, invaders and even each-other. Jake, whose private story like that of other main characters slowly becomes disclosed to us, proves extremely resourceful and a smart hero, while his father's mayoral authority and even that of the only available medical professionals is soon challenged and undermined, criminal potentials are tapped into by circumstances and good people must rise to the daunting occasion assertively or perish. Even when contact is made with neighboring surviving towns, desperate rivalry soon cancels out solidarity. Furthermore, there is a well-equipped, hidden organization at work, which recently arrived Robert Hawkins belongs to...

The entire series can be viewed here http://www.cbs.com/primetime/jericho/video/

My notes-------------
Lazy mentioned this offhand, and I decided to try it out. Man was I in for a surprise. This is yet another of the great shows that got cancelled. This is very entertaining, and well worth a watch.
The pilot was good, but it got much better as it went along.

Backstory- This show was cancelled after season one because the greedy bastards at CBS weren't making quite enough off of this.
There was a HUGE public outcry, and thousands and thousands of fans mailed in packages of "peanuts/nuts" to network execs and the show was revived for a brief 7 episode second season, only to be cancelled again.

Now there is yet another massive effort to find "Jericho" a new network home, and here is the story..........how cool is this?
Viewers CAN make a difference!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 29, 2008 – Since CBS cancelled Jericho for a second time on March 21, the nutty fans have not taken the news lying down. Refusing to accept the abbreviated second season as the end, fans have launched a new campaign to persuade CBS Paramount to find Jericho a new home.

The argument is that the over six million fans of Jericho would be a welcome ratings boost on networks such as SciFi, USA, TNT. Hallmark and the CW. In April, The New York Times reported that Comcast is exploring a potential partnership with CBS Paramount in a deal similar to the NBC / Direct TV pact that saved Friday Night Lights.

To encourage CBS Paramount and potential new networks, the fans have ramped up efforts including:

-Jericho fans spent $7,500 for a giant billboard on Ventura Blvd. in the heart of Studio City, CA. The billboard sporting a giant For Sale sign is aimed at other networks located directly in the area, urging them to contact CBS Paramount about purchasing Jericho. Ironically it is a CBS billboard the Rangers leased. Much of the money for this billboard was funded by auctioning off Jericho items on eBay that the members of the Jericho Cast so graciously autographed for the occasion. The remaining money was made through donations by Jericho fans both in the US and internationally.

-Full page ads in Variety 4/25/08 and The Hollywood Reporter 4/28/08. Funds were raised in the amount of $11,180 by fan contributions and through cast-autographed memorabilia on Ebay.

-A massive letter writing campaign to CBS Paramount and possible Jericho buyers.

-Nuts to Nielsen. Fans are raising awareness of the flaws in the Nielsen rating system by sending peanuts directly to Nielsen. To date over 1,000 pounds of Nuts were sent to Nielsen Headquarters in protest. The fact that 99.999% of TV viewers are not counted in 2008 is an outrage. This is a Nuts to Nielsen campaign to protest this antiquated rating system. Over 700 pounds of Nuts were delivered to Variety magazine to coincide with Variety and Hollywood Reporter Jericho ads. Two weeks ago another 800 Pounds of nuts were sent to the Nielsen facility in Oldsmar, Florida to protest Nielsen’s poor treatment of American workers there. Currently Jericho fans are purchasing nuts at Nutsite.com for another friendly Nutty Shelling of the LA Times to highlight and bring publicity to “NTN” and the For Sale Jericho Billboard.

-Fan purchased DVDs of Jericho’s Season 2 for military personnel stationed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

- Jericho Fans are attempting to fund a Save Jericho commercial to be aired on Cable for the greater Los Angelas market on Times Warner.

After receiving more than 40,000 pounds of peanuts, CBS announced it would bring Jericho back last June. Since the show’s resurrection, Jericho has become a reference point in media discussions of the accuracy of Nielsen ratings and fan-driven efforts to save shows.

Further information is also available at the Jericho forum at www.cbs.com or at www.jericho4sale.com.

Here is a picture of the billboard rented by fans of Jericho........ This is on Ventura Blvd, right in the heart of Studio City Ca.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject: Re: Jericho
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Here is a picture of the billboard rented by fans of Jericho........ This is on Ventura Blvd, right in the heart of Studio City Ca.

:ROTF: I don't care who you are, that's funny! :ROTF:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:21 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Wow! Thanks for the update on the lengths being made to save Jericho yet again. It would be great if it found itself back on television.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:00 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Wow! Thanks for the update on the lengths being made to save Jericho yet again. It would be great if it found itself back on television.

Supposedly within the last 2 weeks there was something called "Jerichon".
This was a convention where all the Jericho actors were together, and signed autographs, and met fans and such.

News has come out of this so called "Jerichon", that something "big" is in the works for the fans yet again.

Things that have been talked about -
New season for Jericho.
A new home for Jericho, and actually several different networks are showing interest.
Also, a BOOK to possibly tie things up, and finish the story.

I just started watching this within the last couple of weeks, and I have been completely enamored with it.
I have watched all of season one, and just a couple of season 2 episodes. Theres not much left for me, but I am wanting more just as the other fans.

I spoke with DrM via phone last night, and I can say we do agree on a point.
The second season doesn't quite have the "bang" that the first season did. But I still think its well worth a watch, and right now its the only damn show on TV I am watching.(well, its currently off, but recent enough anyway)

Hopefully this is some encouraging news for the show, and honestly for TV fans in general.
I mean really, how cool is that? (what they did with the billboard and all)

This last year has been particularly bad for the shite canning of great sci-fi and good tv.

Among the shows we have lost, that were very popular................
The Dead Zone
The 4400
Jericho
( the often talked about) New Amsterdam
Journeyman
Battlestar Galactica is currently wrapping up its final season

This only scratches the surface. There have been a ton of other cancellations.
As DrM pointed out, surely the writers strike didn't help, as we were just crawling out of mass reality TV. Other shows were beginning to get popular again.

If we lose anything else, I am seriously going to get all my TVs (save one with DVD capability), and burn them all out in front of my apartment.
I have seriously lost faith in all network tv at this point.

This news of Jericho is seriously a breath of fresh air.
Even if you aren't a real fan of the show, you have to admit the fans reaction is a sign of encouragement.
Now if "The Dead Zone" had quite the bit of outpouring Jericho had, we may have had another season.

The truly bad thing there is, all the fans were believing that there was another season. The writers had even come forward and publicly stated that there was enough written material "in the tank", for one more season. This was before the strike!
I guess 6 full seasons is still pretty damn strong with that one. I just wish they would have tied some things up a bit better.

I would settle with what they are doing with Stargate SG-1. A "straight to DVD" movie every year is better than nothing. :clap:

I also knew lazy that you would get a kick out of this Jericho news! :D

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:07 pm 

This is tight.....................

Now on the official CBS site, there are supposed links to all the episodes, and they are GONE.

The only thing left is the season 2 episodes (there were 7) and I have only seen 2 of these.
The still remaining season 2 episodes are there, but have the commentaries on them. :x

WTF??????? :wtf:

Now if you want to see the show, you will have to look elsewhere. (unless you only want to watch the last few episodes, and with commentary along the way to boot, and ruin them)
It looks as though its just an error with the site though, and they could reappear, but in my opinion, they are shutting them down with the impending DVD release.

This sucks, as I had just gotten into it, and hadn't finished the series yet. :x

Of course, you can always wait until this date............... http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releases/Je ... eries/7783

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm 

For those interested......................

All "Jericho" episodes are now back up and ready for viewing on the site linked earlier in this thread. (CBS)

I was pleasantly surprised by this show, and looking forward to it hopefully popping up on another network with additional seasons.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:27 am 

A new update for Lazy and other interested fans of this great show.

I plucked several messages left on the "Jericho" message boards, and I have spliced a few of them together to give us an update here.

Here is the vast majority of it, and a short video that was paid for by "fans of the show".
This still gives us some hope of more episodes/a new season.

TZ DZ Fan

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't mean to bore you with the details but here is where things stand to date:

At this point, things are still in negotiation. CBS Paramount now owns the rights to Jericho. They appear to be interested in marketing it to other buyers. Supposedly because Jericho is so expensive to produce, (and undoubtely other unseen issues) it has yet to be picked up by anyone. Perhaps potential buyers aren't sure that the fan base hasn't just evaporated.

The good news is that NBC Universal (cable) is replaying Jericho every day through December. They might be trying to gauge the fan base. Also, apparently, the Jericho message board on CBS is the only remaining message board of the CBS shows for a canceled show. That means either someone in high places cares about the show and the fans or else there is enough traffic here that the advertisers are willing to pay to keep it afloat.

In addition, the fans have contributed to have a fan-made commercial air in local spots around the Hollywood area and are just about to be in position to air the commercial nationally on UHDtv. That will alert many Jericho fans to the fact that the fate of the show is still in the balance and that the fans are still out here wanting to see more...as you said....of that alternate ending scenario....and beyond! :)

The last word that was forthcoming was from Carol Barbee, the executive producer, last July. She said that 'negotiations were ongoing' and that there were a couple of products in mind. What this might mean is either a movie or a graphic novel....or more seasons. Let us hope it is the latter. This show deserves to have the whole story told.

At this point the fans here remain steadfast and continue to write or email NBC Universal...and remain active on the message board. If we are truly the online community that are the fans that Nielsen never counted, one of our best shots to be 'heard' and recognised to still exist is to stay where they can see us....on the CBS Jericho board.

Please let all of your friends and family who love Jericho know that the fate of the show is still in the balance...and that their presence either here or sharing it with other people will make a huge difference. Believe me, we aren't a bunch of activists here...just people who care enough to see this show come back and be able to tell it's story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More info I dug up -

Another little glimmer of hope (sorry if you have already read all of this before on the thread) is that the sets for all of the Jericho scenes are still intact. Apparently that is pretty rare for a show that has been canceled.

A third thing is that, here in the US, NBC Universal HD tv is re-broadcasting Jericho on a daily basis up through December. The possibility there is that they are gauging the fan interest because they might be interested in the show. They actually produced a couple of TV ads to go along with the show. They also have established a fan message board as well for Jericho.

A fourth and upcoming thing is that one of the Jericho fans has produced a TV ad which talks about how the show was canceled and then brought back and then canceled again...and is looking for a new network. It is very clever and the voice in the show is actually done by Brad 'Stanley' Beyer...nice. That ad has run in the LA area but has recently been transformed into HD (apparently a very difficult and costly process)...and will be running nationwide here in the US on the NBCUniversal HDtv network. This also is entirely fan-funded. An update on that situation is available on the savejerichoagain.com website. The point of this advertisement is to raise public awareness that Jericho fans are still arduously seeking a return of their show and that we will support it wherever it is produced.

Link

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:40 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I heard Jericho is being aired Sunday nights on PIX/CW/WB (whatever they're calling themselves now). This and the airing on NBC Universal, I wonder if it could actually make a comeback somewhere. Or at least stir up enough interest for a movie.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I heard Jericho is being aired Sunday nights on PIX/CW/WB (whatever they're calling themselves now). This and the airing on NBC Universal, I wonder if it could actually make a comeback somewhere. Or at least stir up enough interest for a movie.

This is rather odd..............
I see you replied to this thread today, and as a weird coincidence, last night I started rewatching this series yet again on the net. (not knowing you had replied here)

Seeing it again has made me miss it even more.

This last 2 year period or so has been the worst I ever remember for having good TV get the axe. :(

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

This is rather odd..............
I see you replied to this thread today, and as a weird coincidence, last night I started rewatching this series yet again on the net. (not knowing you had replied here)

Seeing it again has made me miss it even more.

This last 2 year period or so has been the worst I ever remember for having good TV get the axe. :(

TZ DZ fan

I agree. The networks are getting more and more ridiculous. They don't keep anything on. The show that replaced Journeyman couldn't even hack it in the same timeslot. Of course I figured that would happen -- those douchebags should've left Journeyman right where it was. They're getting to the point where 6 or 7 million viewers just isn't enough for a show to sustain itself. I'm guessing their cost of production is too high for what they expect to happen. Instead, we get more cheap reality tv to fry our brains. f@%k network TV -- I'm sticking with my HBO/Showtime series. Oh and I can't wait for Battlestar Galactica to return (even though I know it only brings us closer to its demise).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:28 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
The problem is - everyone in this country needs to be spoon feed stories. With minor exceptions, they don't want anything that they have to think about such as plot, detail to story, etc. Even the CSI crowd like their show because they explain everything as they go along so there is no guess work or thinking involved.

Shows such as Journeyman, Jericho, Fear Itself, Nowhere Man, New Amsterdam are just to cerebral for the average moron watching the boob tube anymore. Now give them American's Next top this or that, {Fill in the Blank} with the stars, You can {fill in the blank}, etc - and you have a hit on your hands.

They need to make a disclaimer for every smart show that requires any thought:

If you have the attention span of a gnat, lack the mental capacity to move your couch potato ass up and change the channel by hand, long for the return of Hee-Haw to return to prime-time - CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:15 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

DrMoreau wrote:
The problem is - everyone in this country needs to be spoon feed stories. With minor exceptions, they don't want anything that they have to think about such as plot, detail to story, etc. Even the CSI crowd like their show because they explain everything as they go along so there is no guess work or thinking involved.

Shows such as Journeyman, Jericho, Fear Itself, Nowhere Man, New Amsterdam are just to cerebral for the average moron watching the boob tube anymore. Now give them American's Next top this or that, {Fill in the Blank} with the stars, You can {fill in the blank}, etc - and you have a hit on your hands.

They need to make a disclaimer for every smart show that requires any thought:

If you have the attention span of a gnat, lack the mental capacity to move your couch potato ass up and change the channel by hand, long for the return of Hee-Haw to return to prime-time - CHANGE THE CHANNEL.

:clap: :lol:

That's very true. Everything on the air wraps up at the end of each episode. The truly good shows have a story arc -- and impatience and attention deficits cause these solid shows to fail. Even shows like The 4400 or The Dead Zone, which had some stand-alone episodes, had a meaty story arc underlying the show. I just miss a good solid story-driven series, or a gripping anthology series. They're rarities nowadays.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:13 am 

Report: Jericho movie in development
By Tim Surette
01/15/09 11:56 AM

The show that won't die won't; executive producer Jon Turtletaub says standalone Jericho feature film in works.

You can't die yet!

Set your phasers to "head-exploding." Jericho's rabid fan base may have scored themselves another victory. According to a report from IF Magazine, executive producer Jon Turtletaub has confirmed that he is developing a Jericho movie.

"We're developing a feature for Jericho," Turteltaub told IF. "It would not require you to have seen the TV show, but it get into life after an event like this on a national scale. It would be the bigger, full on American version of what’s going on beyond the town in Jericho."

Jericho was one of the great television stories of 2007, becoming un-canceled after irate fans planned a clever protest--something that doesn't happen often in this day and age. Unfortunately, the victory was short-lived and the show was canceled after a short second season.

Today's news couldn't come sooner for Jericho fans, who have been eagerly awaiting further word of the future of the drama. But before any of you start camping out at the local movie theater, know this: the key word is "developing."

Turtletaub's comments could simply mean he's pondering the idea and thinking of scenarios for the movie. At best, he's in discussions with other Jericho producers and talking to potential studios. Either way, it's too early to start accepting a Jericho movie as reality.

Jericho (the television series) followed the survivors of a nuclear attack on the U.S. The show starred Skeet Ulrich, Lennie James, and Pamela Reed.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 pm 

This sounds promising, but I tend to think it won't be very close to the storylines of Jericho.
At least the way it sounds to me anyhow.

I realize in my head, that all good TV must come to an end, but this was one of another precious few that died a premature death.
As I have stated several times in the last few months, the last few years especially, have been very bad for intelligent TV.
This trend started even before the writers strike.
America,(and the world follows in general), is gravitating towards what I call "quick fix" tv.
Reality shows are a big part of this.

It certainly seems that anything requiring alot of imagination, soon gets the axe. This would include sci-fi, which directly affects many of us here.

I think the reality tv shows are popular, because people tend to compare them with their own lives in general. They imagine themselves losing weight, like The Biggest Loser. They imagine becoming a model, like Next Top Model. (and other similar shows) What would you do if you were in the "Big Brother" household? What is it like for some "unknown" girl/guy next door to become the next American Idol?
Even hit comedies such as "The Office", are basically everyday people, in regular work situations.

These are all things people can ask themselves, and it is easily possible that any of us could be in these situations.
Even the very popular sci-fi shows, such as the much applauded Battlestar Galactica, rose to its prominence, by having a first couple of seasons that focused directly on its crews relationships,"normal life" and the day to day situations in that setting.
This is a little hard to describe until you watch a few of the earlier episodes.

Rather than hard core sci-fi and real imagination, slowly the public is being exposed to shows, where it is a very real scenario, even one where we could take part.

Is this good or bad?
I don't really know, but it certainly cuts down on alot of the "better tv", at least in my opinion.

As far as Jericho is concerned, I have my doubts, but I will take anything I can get.
More exposure can only be a plus, and I wish more fans would stand up and fight for the better shows. Many can learn from what has happened with this particular show.

My 2 cents.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
lazyboyx51 wrote:
The truly good shows have a story arc

Tell me you don't mean this.

Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery...more recently Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Fear Itself...

Not a story arc to be found anywhere.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:22 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Thriller, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Night Gallery...more recently Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Fear Itself...

I think lazy was referring to most of todays tv.
In general I agree.

Most of the above shows you mentioned truly are classics, and I don't know if we are going to see the likes of those for a very long time.
Instead, we are stuck with never ending repeats of "Seinfeld" and "Friends".

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:04 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Yes, I do mean this. And yes, TZ DZ knows what I was referring to. I have excluded the anthology shows when speaking of "good shows" only because in today's television world, anthologies are few and far between, and they rarely last (i.e. Masters of Horror, Fear Itself). I'm tired of watching the shows today that revolve around the same genre and finish at the end of each episode. Sure, anthologies are filled with individual episodes, but each episode can be a creative story wrapped into 20-25 minutes. The only good stuff today, for me, are the ones that keep me watching each week because it asks questions that are not answered immediately. Therefore, I love shows like Lost, Battlestar Galactica, True Blood, Dexter, etc. etc. etc. There tends to be good storylines, lots of question, and allows for thinking and discussion. As mentioned time and time again, not much of this gets through. I'm shocked Lost made it because I would think its intricate multidirectional storylines with so many unanswered questions would frighten people. Also, reading on in that post that was quoted, I did say "I miss a gripping anthology series"...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Okay then. I like "Lost" also and I've always loved "The X-Files" with its long story arc and it's Monster-of -the-Week" one-shots, as well.

I don't get why people enjoy Battlestar Galatica so much, but that's my issue.

I lose patience with never-ending storylines. It's like watching a damned soap opera, nothing ever gets resolved.

I've always been a fan of short stories, that's why the anthology is special. But hey, I appreciate your explanation.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:55 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:

I lose patience with never-ending storylines.

I can only tell you that........... in the case of BSG, its simply not something you can jump right in the middle of.
Its totally different now than it was early on in the series. Even some of the characters simply aren't "what you thought", for a long time too. So coming in now would be fruitless.
There is some eye candy though.

Now, that aside, you might still try it from the beginning 2-part mini-series and NOT like it, but sometimes thats the case of preference.

I know that DrM says he doesn't care for Edward James Olmos as an actor, and I suppose I tend to like him, especially in this series.
But - I can say that the show simply lost the fire it had in season one and early season two.
The season 1 episodes were brilliant in my opinion.

(another reason it is ending is because of "creative differences" among the writers too, that may be why its going down a bit)

I always liked the idea of an underlying story, even if its just hinted at every so often.
This was the case with The Dead Zone, and a few others.

BUT AGAIN, I like to see them tied up well at the end of a series.
Nothing pisses me off more than being a faithful viewer for multiple seasons and getting no closure when the show finally gets the axe. :x

At least in the case of Jericho, it ended on a good note. If it never comes on again, fine. We had a fair "ending", but the door is still open for further episodes as well.

I can't say I was as happy with the way The Dead Zone ended. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 am 

Pilot Episode

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:35 am 

Thanks again here to DrMoreau for linking it.

I was pleasantly surprised at this series.
I do think that it got tremendously better as 2-3 episodes passed, but in general I think that about most of todays series.

I figure when you get to know and relate to the characters, it hits a bit closer to home in some ways.
I can't remember the last time I saw a "pilot", and really became glued to the screen, really caring about the characters. It typically takes a couple of episodes to make it a "must watch", in Lazy's words.

"Journeyman" was one I really went for from day 1 though.

On that note - I don't see the need to link all Jericho eps, but I can say this.....

Last time I checked EVERY episode of this show was up for viewing at CBS.com if you are interested. (along with the 1st 3 seasons of classic TZ I might add) :clap:

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
Okay then. I like "Lost" also and I've always loved "The X-Files" with its long story arc and it's Monster-of -the-Week" one-shots, as well.

I lose patience with never-ending storylines. It's like watching a damned soap opera, nothing ever gets resolved.

I've always been a fan of short stories, that's why the anthology is special. But hey, I appreciate your explanation.

Sure thing, buddy. I understand "losing patience with never-ending storylines". From my perspective, I anticipate that if a show is good enough to continue through an entire run, and can end on its own (without cancellation), then all questions should be answered and storylines completely tied up. Plus, there's the potential for a "main storyline" to be completed within a season and end with an extra question or two to set up the upcoming season (i.e. Dexter, True Blood). I'm with you on the short story, which is also why I love anthologies. Each story there can be so different and very stimulating.

Back to the topic of the thread -- besides watching Jericho online, it can be viewed Sunday nights on the CW network, and I've seen it on the Universal channel.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:34 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

lazyboyx51 wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:

Sure thing, buddy. I understand "losing patience with never-ending storylines". From my perspective, I anticipate that if a show is good enough to continue through an entire run, and can end on its own (without cancellation), then all questions should be answered and storylines completely tied up. Plus, there's the potential for a "main storyline" to be completed within a season and end with an extra question or two to set up the upcoming season (i.e. Dexter, True Blood). I'm with you on the short story, which is also why I love anthologies. Each story there can be so different and very stimulating.

Back to the topic of the thread -- besides watching Jericho online, it can be viewed Sunday nights on the CW network, and I've seen it on the Universal channel.

You can stream Jericho in HD via Netflix "Watch Instantly", too. I streamed the first episode thru my Roku Netflix box and it looked pretty nice on the big screen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:38 pm 

Yep - but I can't embed them here - which sux.

CBS, Hulu & Joost don't have the pilot episode up either so I had to find an alternative outsource.

Netflix - the Blockbuster Giant killer. I love the fact that you can stream and rent from those guys.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yep...good stuff. I've got that British series 'Jekyll' on my Netflix queue based on the reviews here. Looking forward to that one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:15 am 

Fun little mini-series there.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
Yep - but I can't embed them here - which sux.

Of course. I just wanted to let other possible Netflix users know.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:29 pm 

I happenned upon the article where it mentions the making of a "Jericho" feature...............
This was from an interview with "IF" magazine.
Here are 2 parts that I could find. There are also articles with interviews with some of the major cast players as well....I will try and add them in soon.

TZ DZ fan

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 1

THE SKINNY: It’s the concept that never seems to die, and that’s a good thing according to JERICHO executive producer/director.

While promoting his new horror TV series HARPER’S ISLAND for CBS (airing midseason), Turteltaub tells iF that he’s really happy about JERICHO’s first season being re-aired Sunday nights on the CW.

“It’s crazy,” says Turteltaub. “I think they’re airing it because it’s cheap and there’s still that feeling that it hasn’t really gotten all the attention it can. When I think about the fact, a repeat of JERICHO on CW actually has more viewers than an episode of MAD MEN, you realize the difference between cable and broadcast, you realize the difference between what the press is watching vs. what America is watching. And I bring up MAD MEN, because it’s a brilliant show. But it’s still fun to see the show won’t die.”

So if the show proves to be a CW success, could it come back to broadcast TV with new episodes?

“If it was like this remarkable success, they would bring it back,” Turteltaub says.

Of course, the big news is Turteltaub’s company is currently hatching a potential feature film version of the TV show.

“We’re developing a feature for JERICHO,” says Turteltaub. “It would not require you to have seen the TV show, but it get into life after an event like this on a national scale. It would be the bigger, full on American version of what’s going on beyond the town in Jericho.”

And what about the TV cast – would they return?

“Oh yeah!”

And would it be a huge budget?

“Anything would be a huge budget compared to what we were dealing with,” he adds. “If we had $40 million dollars to make a movie with, that’s 20 times more than we did before.”

PART 2

By now, everyone knows the story. CBS puts one of the best genre shows on television last year called JERICHO. Fans love it, it gets cancelled, fans convince CBS to bring it back for a 7-episode Season Two, where it’s, well, cancelled again.

It’s frustrating to watch such a great series walk off into the sunset, without getting the final word from its creative team and creator/producer Jon Steinberg and Co-Executive producer Dan Shotz spoke with iF this week about the end, the beginning and when we might actually see that alternate JERICHO Season Two ending.

iF MAGAZINE: While I loved the enormity of the seven-episode season, it felt at times like things were going by way too fast. The last episode in particular, it felt like the time lines of Jake and Hawkins were moving at three times the speed as the same events in Jericho. I’m curious, from the writing perspective, were the scripts for the seven episodes too long, and then pared back to the core essentials? And what other concessions had to be made to accelerate the time lines of all the different stories?

JON STEINBERG: I don’t really think the writing process or the scripts were significantly different than they were in Season One. There were some practical issues that changed -- i.e., there were generally fewer scenes written for Season Two than for Season One. By the time the editing process was finished, most of those differences became pretty much meaningless. Our goal was to make sure that the budgetary and schedule limitations didn’t affect the quality of the storytelling, so hopefully we were reasonably successful in that regard.

iF: That said, were the episodes that were filmed longer than normal, because of all the material you had to get on screen? Will the DVD have tons of deleted scenes, or was shooting pretty lean and mean?

STEINBERG: The DVD’s will definitely have a bunch of deleted scenes included. And yes, we couldn’t really afford time-wise to shoot anything this season that wasn’t important and/or cool. So while those scenes might not have been absolutely indispensable in terms of telling the story they were a part of, they should definitely be interesting to watch after the fact.

DAN SHOTZ: The DVD will also have great behind the scenes footage including a piece about the NUTS campaign. All the commentaries the fans have heard on CBS.com will be there as well.

iF: We keep hearing that two different endings were shot for the JERICHO – SEASON TWO finale. To clarify, the ending shown, is that ending that “wraps” everything up for fans?

STEINBERG: It’s definitely the less cliffhanger-y version of the two. In my mind, it doesn’t really “wrap up” the show so much as it finds a nice resting point at which our characters have all reached the end of their immediate arc. But with Jake and Hawkins talking about the impending Civil War between Columbus and Cheyenne, I think it’s pretty clear that the Jericho universe is in no way wrapped up in a bow.

iF: And if that’s true, then what was the alternate ending if the show would have been picked up for Season Three?

STEINBERG: The alternate ending involved Hawkins having to make a major sacrifice in order to assure that Jake could get the bomb to Texas. Lennie and Skeet did some amazing work in that version, I think people will really enjoy it.

SHOTZ: The ending you haven’t seen will definitely be on the DVD. CBS is also deciding if and when they will release that ending on CBS.com in the next few weeks. They want to give that gift to the fans. We are really proud of both endings, but there is a scene with Hawkins in the other version you don’t want to miss.

iF: Did you ever think of killing off Jake or Hawkins for good? It seems that a fitting finish to the series would have Jake sacrificing himself for the better good – making his arc more full circle. I get that you needed to keep the ball in the air that he’s alive if the series ever came back, but it did seem like a natural progression story-wise.

STEINBERG: The alternate ending did include a big sacrifice for Hawkins, so yeah, it was considered. But this version of the ending felt like an elegant way to wrap up the series.

SHOTZ: We didn’t feel like we needed to kill a major character in the finale like last season. The stakes within the story were so high for everyone that it didn’t feel necessary. We also lost one of our favorites this year – Bonnie – so that was enough heartbreak.

iF: Which characters did you miss the most this season – characters that you had some really exciting things planned for, but couldn’t do because of the short season?

STEINBERG: Obviously Johnston was missed, but the presence of his memory in the minds of Jake and Eric did a lot of work for us story-wise. I think [executive producer] Carol [Barbee] has talked a lot about the New York and Cheyenne stories that we’d contemplated, but that we had to lose in order to make the 7-episode arc work. But I think that the Cheyenne story in the finale at least gave us a chance to see an important part of the world outside Jericho.

SHOTZ: Johnston Green was tough to lose. Fortunately, that character was very present this season -- with his sons, the Don’t Tread on Me Flag. The choices Jake and Eric made throughout the season were always in honor of their father. I also missed Old Man Oliver and his Ham Radio from the pilot. What happened to that guy?

iF: Very nice touch, with Jericho opting out not to team up with New Bern. I can only imagine that their conflict of opinions/views would have continued well into Season Three.

STEINBERG: I think we wanted to make very clear in this episode that once our guys made the decision to resist Cheyenne, that that was only the first half of the equation. The next step is to decide how to resist. And we wanted to make clear that not all forms of resistance are necessarily morally equivalent.

iF: If Season Two were a more conventional 22-episode season, would things have played out differently? Would it have come to the same conclusion, but with more time to play it out, or would this seven have been the first 12 of the 22?

SHOTZ: It’s hard to tell exactly how that would have gone down. We probably would have gone to Cheyenne earlier. We may have gone with Gray to the Constitutional Convention. That would have been awesome. A lot of options, but we loved how much story we got to tell this season in the seven [episodes]. And I believe we did it with still maintaining the level of character we had in the past.

iF: So, the big question, is JERICHO officially dead?

STEINBERG: It isn’t really dead, as long we remember it.

SHOTZ: Very poetic, Jon. I like what he said.

iF: Is there any chance a CW or SCI FI Channel could pick it up or is the show too expensive to produce without network involvement?

STEINBERG: I think there are a lot of different options being explored right now, and they all have their ups and downs. Hopefully something will pan out, we’d love to continue telling stories in the JERICHO universe in some shape or form.

SHOTZ: We are working with our studio to explore outlets. We feel like JERICHO could exist in many places and in different forms. We want to pursue that as quickly as possible.

iF: It seems with DVD sales, downloads, etc, that there is a viable business plan in favor of keeping JERICHO going. When you have so many “new” TV series that fail or have one season with no hope of getting a DVD set to off-set the cost (and one where millions of people would buy it), why would anyone turn their back on a show with such a huge, built-in audience?

SHOTZ: I think no one, the producers and studio included, want JERICHO to just go away. There is a built-in fan base. We are so lucky to have the most dedicated fans in TV history, but if we are to continue, we have to be able to make JERICHO the way our fans know and love. It would be a crime to give them anything less.

iF: If there’s no Season Three, could there be JERICHO TV movies? A feature film? Books? Web shows? It seems to me this is the next STAR TREK in the making in terms of fan support and fan interest.

STEINBERG: The STAR TREK model is definitely an interesting one. I guess we’ll see how things play out.

SHOTZ: A movie would be great --- if we can get all 6 million fans to see it, we are set.

iF: Do you feel there is anything else you could have done creatively to bring in a larger audience?

STEINBERG: We tried our best to make sure that the episodes in Season Two were accessible to viewers that hadn’t seen the show before, but we also felt that it was important to tell the best possible version of the story we set up at the end of Season One. For better or worse, I think we accomplished both those things to the best of our abilities under the circumstances.

iF: I’ve read in some places, that the people that supported the show by sending nuts, didn’t equal out to the people that showed up to view the show weekly. Do you think so much time had passed, that some people forgot, or people were just out of the loop in terms of viewing TV shows because of the writer’s strike? Any theories?

SHOTZ: All those points you mentioned are possible reasons why the audience didn’t grow, but the market is also changing and we have continued to be a monster hit on the web and with DVR. We are just hoping that there is a new home out there for us that will see this show as profitable.

iF: If JERICHO is truly over, I think it's important to thank your team for doing such an amazing job to finish out the storyline and create the next “brilliant, but cancelled” TV series. Of course in this case it would be called “brilliant, but cancelled twice.”

STEINBERG: I guess “cancelled twice” is a lot more than most shows can say for themselves, so we’ve got that going for us. Which is nice.

SHOTZ: No matter what happens with the future of the series, I am so proud of this family we have created. The cast, writers, producers, crew and most importantly THE FANS have built something that will always be remembered, enjoyed and appreciated. If this is it, I can live with that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:25 pm 

"Jericho" now getting a comic book series, and also the movie still in the works..................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 13th -

It’s just possible that cancellation was a good thing for Jericho. When they heard that CBS was dumping the series after one season, thousands of dedicated fans banded together to convince the network to bring it back. Though the second season wasn’t a big success ratings-wise, the show’s fanbase had united and remained committed to the show. The CW’s decision to start airing repeats of Jericho on Sunday nights was likely inspired by fans’ ongoing support. Now, the Jericho story is set to continue in comic form and possibly a movie.

Jericho centers around a small Kansas town that struggles to come together after nuclear attacks leave the United States in a state of disaster and civil war. Skeet Ulrich stars as Jake Green, the mayor’s son, who helps to lead the community after the attacks. The rest of the ensemble cast includes Lennie James, Ashley Scott, Kenneth Mitchell, Brad Beyer, April Parker-Jones, Alicia Coppola, Pamela Reed, Bob Stephenson, Gerald McRaney, Richard Speight Jr., and Clare Carey.

When Jericho was cancelled for the second time, it seemed like that was the end of the story. Still, the producers and fans have refused to let the series die. A deal has now been struck with Devil’s Due Publishing (DDP) to create a new comic book series based on the TV show. Dan Shotz, one of Jericho’s executive producers, gives credit for this revival to the fans, saying that they’ve “driven us to find new and fresh ways to tell the Jericho story.”

The plans are for the comic book series to pick up where the second season of Jericho left off. DDP President Josh Blaylock said, “We plan to give fans the story they’ve been craving. This is going to be epic stuff.”

Shotz added, “Josh Blaylock and the DDP team are great partners and have shown a true love for our show. We are so thrilled about this comic book series and the endless possibilities for the future of Jericho.” Joining Shotz in developing the comic series will be most of the original creative team, including Jon Turteltaub, Carol Barbee, Karim Zreik, and Jon Steinberg.

Fans may also get more Jericho as a movie is in the works as well. Turteltaub says it’s still in the development stages, but the plans are for it to be a much bigger production than the TV series. The story will likely standalone, so that new audience members wouldn’t have to be familiar with the background of series to the enjoy the movie. The intention is that the cast would return for the movie, but in this early stage, nothing has been confirmed as of yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still haven't seen or heard anything concrete on the proposed movie.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:23 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
6 million fans + 1 more now :)

So I am fascinated by nuclear bomb fiction and I just happened to discover this show while reading about who knows what, and then to my delight found out both seasons of this cancelled show are on netflix. I managed to watch all of them in about two weeks and wow...I was stunned. Cool show...sorry to see it end on a bad note but at least we got a movie that might be able to wrap it up. I really liked the first few episodes but when it started to turn into the whole reshaping of america I was getting a little bored with it. Maybe it wasnt such a bad idea to cancel it. I think the whole season should have been around the bomb going off and the first few weeks after...not so much the months after. Anyway I still enjoyed it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:13 am 

StillValleyBard wrote:
6 million fans + 1 more now :)

So I am fascinated by nuclear bomb fiction and I just happened to discover this show while reading about who knows what, and then to my delight found out both seasons of this cancelled show are on netflix. I managed to watch all of them in about two weeks and wow...I was stunned. Cool show...sorry to see it end on a bad note but at least we got a movie that might be able to wrap it up. I really liked the first few episodes but when it started to turn into the whole reshaping of america I was getting a little bored with it. Maybe it wasnt such a bad idea to cancel it. I think the whole season should have been around the bomb going off and the first few weeks after...not so much the months after. Anyway I still enjoyed it.

Yes, the show is a good one.

A bit of the lovey-dovey stuff sprinkled in here and there, but a good one nonetheless.

Lennie James is one of my favorite actors now, because of his role in this show.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:14 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Sweet!! Glad you enjoyed this show SVB.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 am 

This note is to Lazyboy....................

I have recently noticed something on Stagevu.
As I have mentioned in other threads, I have been rewatching this show recently, and I noticed a few of the "series finale" episodes, have a title of "alternate ending".

This is something I never noticed before, as they certainly weren't on stagevu long ago.

I am of the opinion this "alternate ending" was included on the DVD set, but (obviously) never made it to air.

#1 - Do you have the box set? I think you mentioned you did elsewhere on the board, but I am not 100%.

#2 - If so, what did you think of the alternate ending?

This is going to be hard to answer without spoilers I suppose, but if possible please do. (or use the spoiler tag)

Not to worry, I will be seeing this alternate ending in the next few days when I reach the end again. :dance:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:44 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

As I have mentioned in other threads, I have been rewatching this show recently, and I noticed a few of the "series finale" episodes, have a title of "alternate ending".

This is something I never noticed before, as they certainly weren't on stagevu long ago.

I am of the opinion this "alternate ending" was included on the DVD set, but (obviously) never made it to air.

#1 - Do you have the box set? I think you mentioned you did elsewhere on the board, but I am not 100%.

This is going to be hard to answer without spoilers I suppose, but if possible please do. (or use the spoiler tag)

Not to worry, I will be seeing this alternate ending in the next few days when I reach the end again. :dance:

TZ DZ fan

Actually, I don't own the DVD set. As you know I was a big fan of the show, but I never went after the DVDs. I think I was holding out in the event it would be packaged as a "series box set", as I do now for most any show I have interest in. However, as time goes on, it travels to the deep recesses of my brain and I end up forgetting about it. Now that I have Blu-ray, it would be nice to have a blu-ray series repackaging, which I then would go after. So I don't own it and I have never seen an "alternate ending" for it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

lazyboyx51 wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

TZ DZ fan

Actually, I don't own the DVD set. As you know I was a big fan of the show, but I never went after the DVDs. I think I was holding out in the event it would be packaged as a "series box set", as I do now for most any show I have interest in. However, as time goes on, it travels to the deep recesses of my brain and I end up forgetting about it. Now that I have Blu-ray, it would be nice to have a blu-ray series repackaging, which I then would go after. So I don't own it and I have never seen an "alternate ending" for it.

Just checked amazon.com and apparently it WAS repackaged as a complete series DVD set haha. Only $36.99 which isn't bad. Though, as I mentioned above, I'd be interested if it came out on Blu-ray. I've got a list of crap I'd like to own, so I will have to prioritize this list and see where Jericho lands. But since it's not blu-ray, it may be something I hold out for (and if I see nothing about it in a year or so, then I might as well plunk down for the DVDs).

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:25 am 

Uhh, this might be the biggest WTF I have read in ages. If this happens to be true, I will be seriously stoked about this one.

Just when you thought it was dead once again boys.............. (and for almost 4 YEARS to boot)

Netflix Considering Reviving CBS Drama ‘Jericho’

LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) – Hold the peanuts: Netflix may revive CBS’ 2006-08 post-apocalyptic drama “Jericho,” TV Guide reports.

Netflix, which will host the revived Fox comedy “Arrested Development,” has approached CBS about reviving “Jericho” as well, according to the report.

A Netflix rep told TheWrap the company “does not comment on rumors or speculation.” A CBS Television Studio rep also said the company was “declining to comment.”

The speculation follows CBS chief executive officer Les Moonves’ hint to analysts in February that CBS might produce a show for Netlifx.

“Jericho” fans – who once tried to save the show from cancelation by sending cases of peanuts to CBS offices – have latched onto the show on Netflix. Discussions about reviving it are in the early stages, TV Guide reports, and likely include whether original cast members would be available.

Netflix stock has dropped 25 percent in the last month, and the company already has money committed to the “Arrested Development” revival scheduled to premiere early next year. It has also committed to the Kevin Spacey/David Fincher drama “House of Cards” and a second season of the Steven Van Zandt dramedy “Lilyhammer.”

“Jericho” aired for two seasons on CBS, and a six-issue comic book series, “Jericho Season 3: Civil War,” continued the series’ storylines.

IDW has announced that another comic book series, “Jericho Season 4,” will be published this summer, and will be overseen by the writing staff of the TV series

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNREAL. :twisted:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:02 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Wow that's pretty insane! We'll see if it really happens, but I'd be interested. Although I haven't "kept up", didn't realize they had season 3 in comic form. Have you read it at all TZ DZ? If not, would you?

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:36 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Wow that's pretty insane! We'll see if it really happens, but I'd be interested. Although I haven't "kept up", didn't realize they had season 3 in comic form. Have you read it at all TZ DZ? If not, would you?

More than likely , no I would not be interested in the comic.
I have more of a desire to actually watch it on the computer or TV screen.

Nothing wrong with a comic style ending, and of course thats better than nothing, but the ending we were given was good enough for me in how things transpired.(I won't go into it here, but there is something I would want resolution/closure to, or one particular person anyway :D )
Truthfully the way it ended was fair enough for me, but you can see it was filmed in such a way like many things now, semi-closure but always room for more stories and seasons.

This show has all of a sudden become interesting again. :twisted:

I suppose I would take a look sooner or later online at the comics, but definitely now at this point I will see what becomes of this and if this show returns.

Hopefully we will know something soon.

If I recall correctly, many of the cast said they would return again to film more, although several years later things maybe have changed.
I am pretty damn sure theres still quite a few that would come back though.
Guess we will soon see, as I am under the impression that Netflix is pulling out all the stops in an effort to make some badly needed money.

TZ DZ fan