It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nowhere Man
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:31 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Nowhere Man

1995 - 1996 One season with 25 episodes.

Bruce Greenwood stars as documentary photographer Thomas Veil who, in the course of one evening, seemingly has his whole existence erased, in the compelling one-hour drama Nowhere Man. It appears as if some mysterious and powerful entity has coerced Veil's family and friends into cooperating in a clandestine plan to annul every trace of him. Veil is all alone with no option but to begin a desperate, dangerous quest to find out how and why this has happened and most importantly, who is behind this torturous scheme.

=================================================================================

I am just beginning to watch this show again, and I can't say enough good stuff!

Bruce Greenwood is great, and I honestly believe this show has alot to offer the members here.
Simply put, it seems like something many of you would like.

I remember talking a bit back and forth at the old joint, with adamgrant and a few others, and I feel it needs its own thread here.
I wonder who if any here has seen this............or remembers it?

A note to adamgrant - I remember talking with you a bit on this one, and I want to know which were your favorite episodes as well.

This is selling on deepdiscount.com for a mere $31.25 with free shipping.
Thats less than $1.50 per episode for quality entertainment.

I highly reccomend picking this one up, most all the members here should enjoy it.
Also several interviews and extras also.

Many saw it borrows heavily from "The Prisoner", and I can see a few similarities. But it really comes into its own after a few episodes.

Maybe if I can round up an episode online I will post it in one of the members only threads.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 pm 

I have seen quite a few of these again, over the last week or so.

Once I finish the series again, I will post a list of my favorite episodes.
This was yet another intelligent show, that got cancelled after one season.
On a good note- it was wrapped rather nicely, although (without going into spoilers) it could have easily went on to other seasons.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:14 am 

Here are my top 5 of the series. (of 25 episodes)

"ITS NOT SUCH A WONDERFUL LIFE" -

During Christmas, Tom reads in a newspaper that the government is looking for him. Shortly thereafter, hes captured, and he is also reunited with his wife. He is told he can have his normal life back, all he must do is testify, and to prove his case, he must turn the negatives over.
=====
This is one episode that caught me off guard. Its almost as if you "get the feeling" something isn't quite right, and sure enough thats the case. Upon viewing, it is actually done really well, better than I expected. Megan Gallagher (his wife) shines here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"THROUGH A LENS DARKLY" -

Operatives within "the organization" kidnap Tom, and he is brought to a deserted house. In an effort to break Tom, the operative uses mind control techniques, making him relive haunting memories, including the terrible death of his childhood sweetheart.
=====

This is the one all hardcore fans of this show talk of, and for good reason. Its got alot to offer. Good drama, great flashbacks and effects.
Its awesome seeing things through Tom's eyes, (currently and as a child) and the idea of him having to relive several of these events over and over is terrible, you really feel for him.
On a personal level, it makes you question some of the tougher choices we have all made.
By now, its fairly deep in the series, so relating to him and his predicament is just about perfect, and it might not have been as good earlier on in the show.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"GEMINI MAN" -

The season/show finale. With FBI help,(previous episode) Tom finds 2 clues, an original untouched photo of "Hidden Agenda" and a key to a safe house inhabited by the agent who gathered the photo/info, the "gemini man".
=====

Although there are clues along the way, this one does not disappoint. As the operatives close in, a chase ensues, and its a good one. Really wrapped up nicely. Although it could well have went on for additional seasons (and should have), it does end fairly well.
This ending episode was much faster paced and alot better than I remembered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"AN ENEMY WITHIN" -

While waiting on a phone call with a clue about "Hidden Agenda",Tom is in rural Pennsylvania. Camping on private property, he is shot and left for dead. The next morning he is found by a pretty young woman (Maria Bello) who nurses him back to health.
=====

The very cute Maria Bello plays a great part here, in one of her early tv/movie roles. (I personally think she looks better here than anything else I have seen her in, which isn't much BTW) Tom finally gets to see what a "normal life" could be like once again. Bello "Emily" tries to get him to stay, but Toms quest for the truth and his former life, is just too big of a stumbling block.
I have said it several times, but I believe this to be the most underrated episode of the show. Rarely does it get mentioned amongst the "best episodes", but yet no one dismisses it. Again, this one has it all. Tom reflects back on what "normal life" could be, but yet all the while there is this mystery in the air for the incoming phone call he is waiting for.
Could he be happy with Emily? What happens when he finally hears of the phone call...............

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"CALAWAY" -

Dealing with terrible insomnia, Tom is told by a doctor to revisit the asylum/institution he was placed in shortly after his "erasure".
Upon going back, he meets a former fellow inmate....... A man who has been "re-programmed" to think he is one of the doctors.
=====

This is perhaps my favorite episode of the entire series.
Jay Arlen Jones "J.C." plays a tremendous role here, as a "new doctor". After some urging by Tom, J.C. does some digging, and begins to doubt who he really is.
Without giving too much away, J.C. ultimately makes a choice, and he knows he can't win, no matter what he decides.
Its very satisfying to have some more clues given to us about Tom, and to see how J.C. finally handles his "situation".

These are probably my TOP 5 episodes.
Truth be known, this is maybe the one show I can look back on and say that there weren't any terrible episodes.
There are alot right around the top, but "Calaway" and "An Enemy Within" are easily my top two.

It has been awesome going through this show yet again, and I think I enjoyed it more this time than the first go around.

Many of us here have similar tastes in TV, and this is one show that I recommend to every member here.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:34 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I was gifted this set for a Christmas present - Thanks Mr. Pokes :D I haven't sat down to watch them yet but will soon.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:03 pm 

DrMoreau wrote:
I was gifted this set for a Christmas present - Thanks Mr. Pokes :D I haven't sat down to watch them yet but will soon.

As I watched this a bit more, I appreciate it now moreso than I did when I first saw it.

I think you mentioned to me you had seen a few of these when it first aired, so you should have a pretty good grasp of whats going on, and it might make you enjoy it more than say....... when I* did the first run through.

I have noticed that there are a few episodes I like alot more than I did before, and a few other of the "fair" eps, just aren't as good as the best ones.
I supoose that could be said about any show actually though.

Another positive on this one, I think this is one you can watch along with your wife.
I know that the 2 of you watch some things together, and this probably is close to some of the stuff you both are fans of.
(New Amsterdam, Journeyman, etc. etc.)

We do have alot of similar tastes, so I look forward to your thoughts on this one.

This is another set that does have a fair amount of extras too, so thats another good point. Theres quite a few interviews with all the major cast and producers and creators to go through afterwards, if thats your thing.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:40 pm 

Alrighty then - I've watched the first 2 disc's of this series.

Episode 1: Absolute Zero (Pilot) - A nice strong opening to a conspiracy inflicted on Thomas Veil. Held my interest and I wanted to see more.

8!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:41 pm 

Episode 2: Turnabout - Using the Doctor's identity from episode 1, he is mistaken for said and brought into the project. Wow - shades of every spy serial I've ever seen or read. Even the twist was well known and telegraphed. Barely held my interest.

3!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:42 pm 

Episode 3: The Incredible Derek - This had all the working potential to make this into a fine episode. Blind kid who can foresee the future. Again, a little cliche, but I was willing to go along for the journey. Too vague and nothing engrossing outside of some minor scenes. Too much suspense without appropriate payoff. Now, had Derek reappeared in subsequent shows, this would have been a nice stepping platform. But as it appears he doesn't, this was only so-so.

6!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:43 pm 

Episode 4: Something About Her - OK, this was fun. A nice setup, and capture sequence followed by some nice Virtual Reality brainwashing. Ended as one might think it should but still well put together episode.

8!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:46 pm 

Episode 5: Paradise on Your Doorstep - Hello and welcome to "The Village." Unlike "The Prisoner" though, the populous is comprised of other "Disenfranchised" members of society. Living and working together to find out who stole their identities, etc. However, just like any other idyllic community, there is always the question of freedoms and conformity. And Thomas Veil is no conformist, much like #6. For any fan of The Prisoner, you've seen this done before with the same results.

5!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm 

Episode 6: The Spider Webb - Hey, imagine the main character finding a TV show that is just like his life. How eerily similar? Not all together unexpected since it's a common formula in sci fi, mystery, horror, etc. Descent ride but I've made this journey to grandma's house too many times to really leave any lasting memory or impacts.

5!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:54 pm 

DrMoreau wrote:
Episode 2: Turnabout - Using the Doctor's identity from episode 1, he is mistaken for said and brought into the project. Wow - shades of every spy serial I've ever seen or read. Even the twist was well known and telegraphed. Barely held my interest.

3!

I don't know if I would have given this one a lowly "3", but it certainly didn't seem to fit in well, especially at this stage in the series.
I did think the beginning of this episode, and the woman and her own "identitiy problem" was at least interesting, but I think there were other problems with this episode...................read ahead!

My major problem with this episode, is you don't really "know" Tom Veil well enough,(seeing as its so early in the series) and all of a sudden he is thrust into this wild scenario, and they confuse him for a "doctor" that was in fact supervising him previously.
I just don't think it works well at this point, and would have been a better addition later in the series.

I really really like the last scene, as Tom drives off in the truck, and pitches something out the window.
I won't go into great detail, but I do think it was a cool ending. The "chase" scene towards the end wasn't too bad either, but again, I agree with DrMoreau, certainly not the best and encouragingly enough, better episodes are yet to come!

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:18 am 

Good that you are tearing into these at last DrMoreau.

Alas, I was hoping to get a screening in of "Heart of Darkness" again last night, but an unexpected visit killed those plans.
That episode is the one that has a great appearance of James F'N Tolkan as Commander Quinn, and as usual, he is great.

I am looking forward to your opinions on these episodes, which are on the next 2 discs: "An Enemy Within", "It's Not Such a Wonderful Life", and "The Alpha Spike".

You also get to see one DEAN STOCKWELL in "You Really Got a Hold on Me" soon too, in a big role.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Just an FYI TZ, ST has a current address for Tolkan if you are interested......

I need to check this show out too....like many others..... :(

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Just an FYI TZ, ST has a current address for Tolkan if you are interested......

I need to check this show out too....like many others..... :(

James Tolkan is going to be at the Hollywood show this weekend, and I was hoping to get with DrMoreau on that.

Hell, now I am not even sure if he is going to go to this one. :|

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:14 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I love this show. I think it was pity it was cancelled. I think it could have go on for several more seasons. Since it didn`t happend, i would like to see a 2 hour film or a mini-series continuing the journey of Thomas Veil with Bruce Greenwood, of course still playing the role.

I wish someone would make a thorough behind-the-scenes and analytical type of book about this tv-series.
Seems like the creator of this series, Lawrence Hertzog, who sadly died last year from cancer could have been the perfect person to write a book.

Too bad he didn`t write one before he died.
But, some other good writer with much knowledge about this series, must exist who can make a great book.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:58 pm 

LoBo wrote:
I love this show. I think it was pity it was cancelled. I think it could have go on for several more seasons.

I am curious as to how long its been since you have seen any of these episodes Lobo?

I go through cycles and watch shows in spurts, and its been awhile since I have seen any of these.

I really think this could have gone on for one more season, and the show really needed it. At least one last episode (or mini-series as you put it) to tie things up.
It did have a solid ending, but the way it ended, (much like Carnivale) left the possibilities for further episodes.

I am most interested in your thoughts of some of the later episodes, where it really started to shine in my opinion.

How about your favorites of the series too??

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:00 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
I have not seen Nowhere Man in years, I do like the series. I hope to see them again soon.

TZ DZ, thanks for the thread :D

Z

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:56 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Yes, i saw all episodes for the first time 2 years ago. Reading the plot of the episodes from IMDB, i seem to remember it was just 2 episodes i didn`t like so much.
"You Really Got a Hold on Me" and "Through a Lens Darkly".

I pretty much liked the rest of the episodes.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm 

LoBo wrote:
Yes, i saw all episodes for the first time 2 years ago. Reading the plot of the episodes from IMDB, i seem to remember it was just 2 episodes i didn`t like so much.
"You Really Got a Hold on Me" and "Through a Lens Darkly".

I pretty much liked the rest of the episodes.

Interesting.

"Through a Lens Darkly" is one where almost all of the hardcore fans generally like it. I am rather surprised by this.
It deals with alot of backstory, and things in Tom's past, so in that sense its unique.
I guess its been years since you have seen it, but some of the "mind games" being played against him and the torture-ish elements are pretty damn cool in my opinion.

"You Really Got a Hold on Me" is rather slow in spots, but I enjoyed it more after a secondary viewing.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject: Re: Nowhere Man
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:30 am 
Would Be Mailer
Would Be Mailer

TZ DZ Fan was kind enough to lend me the box set recently. I went through all
25 episodes in about 3 weeks. A few thoughts on the show:

The pilot is well-written, strong, and interesting enough to pull in the viewer.

Bruce Greenwood is excellent throughout the show. His characer acts consistently and logically as he tries to regain his lost life.

Most of the early episodes are decent or merely OK. The show gets more interesting halfway through, and the last several shows are strong.

It has a satisfying ending that answers the big questions and puts the prior shows into perspective. From a writing point of view,
it certainly had great potential for at least one more season. Tom discovers the truth of his situation, but that truth opens up an entirely new
line of pursuit for him. (You'll have to watch to know why - I'm not going to spoil it.)

There are a few semi-clunkers but nothing outrageously bad. It would have been nice if the makers had a bigger budget.

This is not "Prisoner" caliber material, but very worthwhile and enjoyable. I reccomend you watch it.

Thanks,

Mal