Post subject: Elementary
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:07 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s129/s ... pilot.html

'Elementary': CBS develops 'modern-day Sherlock Holmes' pilot

Published Wednesday, Jan 18 2012, 14:15 GMT | By Morgan Jeffery | 37 comments

"CBS has picked up a new detective drama pilot, described as a modern-day take on Sherlock Holmes.

Elementary will transport Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective to present-day New York, according to Deadline.

The project has been devised and written by Medium scribe Rob Doherty, who will also executive produce alongside Justified 's Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly.

BBC One drama Sherlock - which ended its second run on Sunday night - is also a contemporary update of Conan Doyle's stories, with Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) solving crimes in modern London.

Elementary was first announced in September, when Sherlock producer Sue Vertue used Twitter to remark on the similarity between the two projects.

She wrote: "Mmm interesting CBS, I'm surprised no one has thought of making a modern day version of Sherlock before, oh hang on, we have!"

The Sherlock series two finale pulled in 7.9m viewers for BBC One. The show has already been commissioned for a third series.

If picked up to series, Elementary will likely form part of the CBS 2012 fall schedule"

I'm very sceptical about this, what is the point of doing a Sherlock Holmes updating, when we already have Sherlock? As for setting it in New York, I think Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would be turning in his grave, but I'll reserve judgement untill I've seen it.

Post subject: Re: Elementary
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:57 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Well, New York is a logical location -- I would have opted for San Francisco -- but in regards to a modernized Holmes, hopefully they don't just rip off Sherlock. SyFy ripped off "Being Human" like it was their own original creation. Anyway, Elementary - I doubt will compare with Sherlock. Plain and Simple: They will dumb it down for American audiences much like they did "Life on Mars."

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:26 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Well, New York is a logical location -- I would have opted for San Francisco -- but in regards to a modernized Holmes, hopefully they don't just rip off Sherlock. SyFy ripped off "Being Human" like it was their own original creation. Anyway, Elementary - I doubt will compare with Sherlock. Plain and Simple: They will dumb it down for American audiences much like they did "Life on Mars."

It's the idea of an American Sherlock Holmes and any other location than London that makes me cringe a little, but maybe it might be good, remains to be seen.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm 

Well, Holmes is British and should remain that way - else - change his name. A jet setting Holmes taking cases from around the world would be cool. Making him an American and sticking him in New York should be changed to an ancestor - ideally that of Doyle.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:52 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Or a descendant. And I liked the American version of Life on Mars, but yeah I agree, UK version still way better. The acting was still great on it IMO.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh yeah and would you guys recommend Sherlock? It's on PBS right? And on DVD?

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:33 am 

DVD and BBC-America in May. You can also get details in our Sherlock Thread here on the board.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Miller To Play U.S. TV's Sherlock

Trainspotting star Jonny Lee Miller is to follow in the footsteps of Robert Downey, Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, Basil Rathbone and Rupert Everett after signing on to play Sherlock Holmes in a new U.S. TV drama series.

Miller, who was briefly married to Angelina Jolie, will lead the cast of Elementary - a modern take on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's famous London sleuth.

In the series, which is loosely based on Cumberbatch's hit British show Sherlock, Miller - as Holmes - will solve cases and fight crime in New York City, according to Deadline.com.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni22813304/

It's ironic that Jonny Lee Miller will play Holmes in elementary as he and Benedict Cumberbatch played opposite eachother last year in Danny Boyle's stage version of Frankenstein.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:35 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

The idea for this TV Show seems to get stranger and stranger, Lucy Liu has been cast as Dr Joan Watson and some details have been released about it "Elementary will see Johnny Lee Miller’s Holmes – as a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose drug addiction brings him to a rehabilitation center in NYC. Post-rehab, Holmes moves in with a “sober companion” in Brooklyn, Joan Watson, a “former surgeon who lost her medical license after a patient died while consulting with the NYPD.”

http://screenrant.com/elementary-cbs-jo ... nm-156745/

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:24 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Rorschach wrote:
The idea for this TV Show seems to get stranger and stranger, Lucy Liu has been cast as Dr Joan Watson and some details have been released about it "Elementary will see Johnny Lee Miller’s Holmes – as a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose drug addiction brings him to a rehabilitation center in NYC. Post-rehab, Holmes moves in with a “sober companion” in Brooklyn, Joan Watson, a “former surgeon who lost her medical license after a patient died while consulting with the NYPD.”

http://screenrant.com/elementary-cbs-jo ... nm-156745/

Definitely taking liberties with the original story/plot/characters. We'll see how it goes, but it may be too drastic for lovers of the classic. Even 'Sherlock' isn't that different - just brought up to current times.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 pm 

Sounds like they have screwed the pooch before they even have gotten going.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I agree. And since they're making Watson a woman, I take it they're going to have that whole "will they or won't they" romantic tension that became famous in the days of Remington Steele and Moonlighting and you still see today on great shows like Psych, Castle, and The Mentalist.

But doesn't the whole premise of Sherlock Holmes only work if it's set in the past? Or does that current Sherlock series make it work in the present?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm 

The BBC Sherlock makes it work in the present. Same spirit of concept only set in todays world. Check out our Sherlock section in General TV, Anthony.

Elementary with a female Watson - yes, before the season ends, I'd lay a 5:1 bet - that there will be romantic tension if not a full relationship between the two. How absolutely original and unforeseeable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah exactly Dr. M lol :clap:

If you want to see good romantic tension, just watch Castle, The Mentalist and especially Psych. Fans of Psych even have a name for the characters on that show now that they've actually gotten together. Shules for Shawn and Jules, short for Juliet. :)

I'll probably at least check this out. And I'll bet that this show lasts one season, two tops. Any idea what channel Elementary will be on?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:50 am 

Anthony wrote:
Any idea what channel Elementary will be on?

CBS

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:14 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I might give it a shot then, although the only show I like on there anymore is The Mentalist. Anyone here watch that? I don't know about you guys, but I've given up on the CSI shows, too many seasons and the plots and characters have gotten ridiculous IMO. A drama show should last about 4-5 seasons and a comedy 7-10 tops. After that, it's just poinltess and only continuing as a cash cow for a TV network. The UK does it right. They usually do 2 seasons, 8 episodes each and then they just end the damn thing already, like with the British Office, Life on Mars and the original Australian Wilfred series. We seem to love to run everything into the ground here, don't we? Then again, I'm not a big Lucy Liu fan, except in Kill Bill Vol. 1. Was never a big fan of Blue Bloods, NCIS or The Good Wife either. I did like Cold Case, when it was on though.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:26 am 

Agree. Too many formula shows that aren't creative or very intriguing. Even the Mentalist feels like they ripped off Psyche and tried to make it a little more serious.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/03/21/ ... nd-watson/

In these pictures from Elementary it looks like they're specifically copying the BBC look of Sherlock Holmes with the coat and scarf, I wouldn't be surprised at all if CBS gets sued.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:07 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Link

Unread postPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:03 pm 

Looks like they ripped off Sherlock - right down to the dialog and interactions with the police. Curious how it develops.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Does it look any good though? I mean, if I liked Sherlock, would I like this? And why is he a drug addict? Didn't the original Holmes just use cocaine recreationally, since it was legal at the time the stories were originally written, or did it really become a problem in any of the novels or earlier movie or TV versions?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 am 

Well, Holmes in stories used a 7% solution of cocaine to 93% water - so, I wouldn't say that he was an addict. 7% is a cup of 1/2 caff coffee that wears off in 5 minutes.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:00 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ah I see and do you think you'll be watching this show? And I guess they want to portray Holmes as an addict in a modern setting since cocaine is illegal, as opposed to the original time period of the Holmes stories. It looks like they're trying to make this like another Castle or possibly Mentalist, with some will they or won't they tension.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:15 pm 

I'll give it a chance but against "Sherlock" on BBC - they need to meet expectations

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I will too. What, out of the past Holmes shows would you guys recommend? The '80s one with Jeremy Brett? I think there was also one in the '50s and maybe '60s too? Which are considered the best ones?

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:13 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I haven't seen the Jeremy Brett ones but someone I know highly recommends them. I have the Basil Rathbone movies which are great.

I absolutely love Sherlock so, though I'll try out 'Elementary', I am not sure it will live up to the BBC version.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:15 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

The Rathbone movies are fun, the Brett series is excellent and considered definitive because it's so close to the stories, but Sherlock has got to be the most watchable and exciting version of Sherlock Holmes that's ever been made.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 am 

Rorschach wrote:
The Rathbone movies are fun, the Brett series is excellent and considered definitive because it's so close to the stories, but Sherlock has got to be the most watchable and exciting version of Sherlock Holmes that's ever been made.

cosign!

In the 50s - Ronald Howard - did an adaptation of Holmes for TV. They were OK but just OK.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

cosign!

In the 50s - Ronald Howard - did an adaptation of Holmes for TV. They were OK but just OK.

I've seen a little bit of the Ronald Howard version, but I quite like the first BBC series of Sherlock Holmes that ran in the 60's originally starring Douglas Wilmer as Holmes, later replaced by Peter Cushing, in fact Wilmer had a cameo role in Sherlock's last episode 'The Reichenbach Fall' as a member of the Diogenese club, I thought that was a nice touch.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I think the version I got from online on DVD is the Ronald Howard version, looks like it only lasted a season. So Brett and Sherlock it is for me.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:34 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

The trailer above gives a more in depth look at it, it looks somewhat better than it did in the making of video I posted, but at times the dialogue looks to have been lifted right out of Sherlock.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:27 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I agree with Rorschach - the trailer above definitely makes the show more appealing. I like Jonny Lee Miller too, and I believe he will do a fine job, but after seeing Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Sherlock, no one can hold a candle to him.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:00 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
... but after seeing Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Sherlock, no one can hold a candle to him.
cosign!

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:02 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
... but after seeing Benedict Cumberbatch in the role of Sherlock, no one can hold a candle to him.
cosign!

Ditto!

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Even though it's not been on yet, I've seen the pilot of this because it's been leaked online, and it was surprisingly pretty good, yes not par with Sherlock and it takes a few liberties with the Sherlock Holmes mythos as a whole, but enjoyable nonetheless looking forward to see how the series will develop in future episodes.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:20 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

"Elementary" may be fun to watch--Lucy Liu certainly is. A modern day Holmes in New York is not a deal breaker to me. I recall the opening "disclaimer" on the first of the Rathbone SH films to take place, not in the 1880s, but WW II, soothing audiences that Holmes is an immortal character, etc to help them swallow the premise of Holmes vs. Nazis in contemporary London.

Likewise, a female Watson. In "They Might Be Giants," Joanne Woodward plays Dr. Mildred Watson, a shrink, to George C. Scott's Justin Playfair, a millionaire who thinks he is Holmes. While this is dramatically a step removed from a "real" Holmes and Watson, Woodward makes an excellent Watson to Scott's superb Holmes. And the closing scene, wherein she finally sees the world through his eyes is a bottom line statement about the nature of love.

That said, most of my television watching involves cable networks, the broadcast networks' tiresome formulars and censorship having failed to keep up with 21st century tastes, so I remain skeptical of anything on CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, et al. On the other hand, I will give "Elementary" a fair try out in the spirit of what George C. Scott's Justin Playfair said:

"If we never looked at things and thought of what they might be, why, we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes."

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:25 am 

Not bad but not great. Johnny Miller just doesn't have the presence as Holmes that Cumberbatch does.

Lucy Lu as Watson vs Woodward: give me Joanne. Nothing against Lucy but they haven't developed her just yet.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I watched it and I gotta say, I liked it. The creators have already said they don't plan on pulling any of that "will they or won't they" shipper crap, which, while I don't mind that myself, wouldn't really work here. The actors don't seem to have that kind of chemistry. Besides, I'd rather, for once, see a show with a male and female character where they end up happy in other relationships, it seems more like real life that way. I liked Holmes' deductions too, the way he reads people, his cold reading, if you will. In that sense, it reminded me a little of The Mentalist or Psych, maybe even Monk, with his reading of evidence as well, which works for me, because I love those shows. I also liked that this Holmes readily admitted to his flaws and shortcomings.

So, other than Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock, I've heard the 1980s Jeremy Brett version and the Ronald Howard versions are the TV versions to watch, would you guys agree on that?

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:31 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I forgot about this starting. I'll have to catch it On Demand, then give my 2 cents.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:55 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I didn't much like this. The unshaved tattooed Holmes is a crude attempt to draw in younger viewers. Lucy is good as usual, but can't carry the entire program. There's just nothing startling, new or unique to make this a "must see."

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:25 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I've caught up with the show, watched the first 2 episodes. Can't compare to Sherlock, but it's watchable. It is what it is -- a Hollywood CBS show. I thought Jonny Lee Miller did a fine job as Holmes, and he's engaging as is Lucy Liu. I will most likely continue to watch, though I seem to forget about it. I can always DVR it or catch it On Demand. Honestly, though, I can't wait for the next season of Sherlock.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:26 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So has anyone here seen the Jeremy Brett and Ronald Howard TV versions of the Sherlock Holmes character and if so, did they like it as well? I've heard they're good and was thinking about purchasing these complete series sets on DVD, along with Sherlock.

Edit-Never mind, already answered. If the Willmer version is on DVD, I might check that one out as well.