Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 21 - Mirror Image

ORIGINAL BROADCAST: February 26, 1960
STARRING CAST: Vera Miles, Martin Milner, Joe Hamilton, Naomi Stevens
WRITER: Rod Serling
DIRECTOR: John Brahm

In a bus station on a very wet and rainy November night, we will meet Miss Millicent Barnes, a career girl with a solid head on her shoulders and her feet squarely planted on the ground. Just another lonely traveler trying to make it from one place to another. However, Miss Barnes isn't as alone as she might like to be because where-ever she goes, she'll discover, she has already been. Miss Millicent Barnes on a wet November evening, just another traveler in the bus station we've come to know as ... the Twilight Zone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:31 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
This is a creepy story. Its very claustrophobic, and you really feel for the main character (Vera Myles). She seems very sweet and attractive so when things start to go south, we feel awful for her. It is a lot of fun seeing her get freaked out by her suitcase and when she sees herself sitting on a bench at the bus stop. The ending is a neat surprise and I like the fact that there is no justification for what happens. The "mirror image" just exists to torment the characters.

My rating: 9 - Excellent
(#8 on my Top 20 episodes list)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:22 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
... 6

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:28 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I agree with Salvadore 6 it is.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:13 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Pure Zone 10.

This is a great story that deals with the concept of parallel universes.
I love the dark mood of this one. The best part is the open ending.
It always make me ask what happens next, and many other qs. I always think
good triumphs, the mirror images are stopped. The end.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:22 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
I agree Mr. Z, this is a great episode. If you think about it most anything with rain is already half way to being excellent anyway, just the mood that it creates. Vera Miles and Martin Milner are great in this and I love the grumpy ticket agent. The dark atmosphere and photography is fabulous too.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:56 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
I agree Mr. Z, this is a great episode. If you think about it most anything with rain is already half way to being excellent anyway, just the mood that it creates. Vera Miles and Martin Milner are great in this and I love the grumpy ticket agent. The dark atmosphere and photography is fabulous too.

I concur, the atmosphere, the mood and ambience are fantastic.
Love the acting, this almost film noir episode, is surreal and deep.
I would love to see the main characters chase down their mirror images,
and capture them, and send them back to the other plane of existence.

10 Zones

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:04 am 
Seven

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:31 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I never really got what people liked so much about this episode.........

So early this morning I went back and rewatched this one again, and also went over Martin Milner's commentary on the DVDs.

Several things stood out to me.
First, I never remembered just how striking Vera Miles actually was in some of her shots.
Somehow she manages to be fairly "plain" in spots, but absolutely beautiful in others. (some of the closeups)

She comes off as so purely innocent, that you really feel for her.
There were several tricks I had forgotten about this one, and the "vanishing" of the suitcase in spots was a great little touch.
Seeing the "mirror images" is the trademark of the episode I suppose, but if fresh, (I hadn't seen this one in ages)its still very interesting.

There is just something cool about this episode, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Perhaps its the "quaintness" of it all. Vera Miles and Martin Milner are just about perfect in my opinion, especially Miles.
There seems to be a quiet, creepy ,foreboding feeling throughout this one, and it works alot better than I had remembered from long ago.

One thing that I really appreciate - is the fact that this doesn't really have any "moral lessons", at least that I can figure out.
Its simply a weird, twisted story, that has a wide open ending, and its a good one.

I also realized that I seem to have an "attraction" for all the episodes where it rains, for at least some of the episode. (Woodrow mentioned this above, but today I really noticed it)

Ring-a-Ding Girl, Mirror Image, The Lateness of the Hour,Night Call, the list goes on. :clap:

Solid 8 from me.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 am 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
This story so freaked me out as a child. To this day I don't believe I've ever been in a bus-station and think of this episode often when I am in airport terminals.

10!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I never really got what people liked so much about this episode.........

--------------------------------------------
Mr TZ, I am glad you are warming up to this one, this is always in my top quarter favorites. Mirror Image, in my mind is a "Signature Zone", it deals
with identity, parallel worlds, paranoia, isolation, its noirish and to parphrase you, its eerily creepy. When I think of TZ, those concepts and ethos run thru my mind more then any others.
--------------------------------------------
Several things stood out to me.
First, I never remembered just how striking Vera Miles actually was in some of her shots.
Somehow she manages to be fairly "plain" in spots, but absolutely beautiful in others. (some of the closeups)
-------------------------------------------
I think with Ms. Miles its all about 'lighting'. I do not find her to be a stunning or striking; yet; she is handsome in a classical sense. I like her in that old fashioned hat and sharp trench coat. At another board,people thought she did not look smart enough to know about scientific concepts like Parallel universes, et al... I whole heartedly disagree, I think they sound sexist, imho, she was smartly dressed, and seemed well-organized. And she was not a meek bland character, she was not shy to ask people what was going on.
------------------------------------------
She comes off as so purely innocent, that you really feel for her.
There were several tricks I had forgotten about this one, and the "vanishing" of the suitcase in spots was a great little touch.
Seeing the "mirror images" is the trademark of the episode I suppose, but if fresh, (I hadn't seen this one in ages) its still very interesting.
------------------------------------------
I agree she does seem innocent, which is the point I think here, the mirror universe is the darker side of nature, we need to stop. She is pure, and bold, great combo. The little tricks are neat, I guess they are the Zone's bears, lol. SPOILER > The site of Vera on the Bus at the end of the episode is everlasting, and powerful,imho.

End of Spoiler...
------------------------------------------------------------------
There is just something cool about this episode, and I can't quite put my finger on it.
Perhaps its the "quaintness" of it all. Vera Miles and Martin Milner are just about perfect in my opinion, especially Miles.
There seems to be a quiet, creepy ,foreboding feeling throughout this one, and it works alot better than I had remembered from long ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool is an apropo word, I was a lad of 5 or so whenst I first laid eyes on this gem, it was magical and cool. Its a tight story of a woman in a bus station, under the pounding rain, who sees her doppleganger. Its pure poetryand artistic.
One thing that I really appreciate - is the fact that this doesn't really have any "moral lessons", at least that I can figure out.
Its simply a weird, twisted story, that has a wide open ending, and its a good one.
There is a short story called " Lady and The Tiger" that has this same technique of an open ending. Perhaps the message of MI addresses the dualistic nature of man, the right and left brains,respectively, perhaps it talks of that constant. Whatever it may be, I always hope that the good stops the mirror images, and paints over any mirrors that are portals to this world.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I also realized that I seem to have an "attraction" for all the episodes where it rains, for at least some of the episode. (Woodrow mentioned this above, but today I really noticed it).
Ring-a-Ding Girl, Mirror Image, The Lateness of the Hour,Night Call, the list goes on. :clap:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I like RIng-A-Ding Girl, MI, TLOTH, etc... too... the rain adds drama, melacholy and imminence to a story. I like the setting too, its cool looking infrastructure.
-----------------
Solid 8 from me.
TZ DZ Fan
-----------------

I rate it 10 zones, yet 8 is great :D I find this one cool, from the sets, to the constumes, to the acting, to the concept, very cool. Visually and viscerally stimulating.
If I may a Q, what is it that you do not like about it? What would you change?

Z

Mr TZ, I love your commentary.

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:57 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Mr TZ DZ, sorry it took so long to respond to your great commentary.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Post subject: Re: Mirror Image
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:34 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
A 9 from me. The whole idea would spook me out if it happened to me.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:42 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I have heard before that everyone has a twin. Do you believe this? Do you have a doppelgänger or a twin?

I have been told I bear resemblance to some people. I looked so much like one dude @ college, years ago, that a female
student came up to me started chatting to me as if I was him. I never met that guy.

Anyhow, MI is a classic, 10 zones always.

-- Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:06 pm --

Wonder if she is looking @ her 'Mirror Image'. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:50 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
A horrifying sci-fi episode -- doppelgangers and parallel universes can be frightening. Though 2 Vera Miles would be delightful! :evil: ;)

This is a classic TZ that makes me nostalgic as one of the initial episodes viewed as a kid watching the New Year's Eve marathon. I still enjoy the mood of this one - bleak, rainy, and stuck inside a bus stop. Quite creepy and mysterious, it's always an entertaining viewing and looks excellent in Blu-Ray.

This is a forerunner for storylines on current TV ('Fringe'); even The Observers dress like Martin Milner (minus the raincoat).

9!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:59 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
Solid ten....knocked my socks off the first time I watched it. Great story with superb performances all around.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I re-watched this just now, its still one of my favorite Zone episodes ever. Vera Miles delivers a stellar performance.
She is smart, brave, sweet, charismatic, feminine, and has a range of acting ability that is peppered with nuances.

The camera work in regards of light and shadows and mirror effects is compelling, I agree with the above posters,
that the bleak rainy atmosphere adds to this episode.
The story keeps one guessing, and interested, is the lead for real,or is she delusional? Are there 2 of her, why, and how?
Martin Milner's suppositions are most likely what the audience would guess ( well, based from a reality pov, and not one from fiction),
does she have a twin? Is it a gag or a prank? Is she mad? There has to be a logical explanation,right?
Well, not exactly, and there is the SF of the story. The Parallel universe theory, the mirror universe if you will.

Milner believes she ( Miles) is mentally sick, as does the ticket taker. Its a sad day for Milner, at first we see the camera does some foreshadowing,
focusing on his baggage, then he takes a drink of water from the station's fountain, I wonder if he saw his image in the reflective metal sink. Then he sees his double take his bag, and he runs after the look alike, we never see him catch his mirror image,which leads to more questions, does he ever catch him? What happens next? Why is this happening? Does it go from one person to the next?

This is film noire, Sci Fi, surreal, and definitely piquess my interest. I only wish we could see a sequel ... 10 Zones

PtE is #1Image