The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Episode 38 - The Man in the Bottle

ORIGINAL BROADCAST: October 7, 1960
STARRING CAST: Luther Adler, Vivi Janiss, Joseph Ruskin, Lisa Golm, Olan Soule
WRITER: Rod Serling
DIRECTOR: Don Medford

Meet Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Castle, kind, but poor, antique shop owners. Although times are hard for everyone, Arthur has always been an easy touch for the for the down and out. Upon buying an old wine bottle from a regular customer, Mrs. Gumley, a genie materializes to grant them four wishes. Mr. and Mrs. Castle will soon realizes that wishes are best when the wisher is weary of the consequences, be they wished in or out of the Twilight Zone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:01 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
This is another from Season 2 that I enjoy repeat viewings. The entire cast is superb, from Luther Adler's nervous naiveté, to the domineering Vivi Janiss to the almost sinister slimy used car salesman type genie in the form of the wonderful Joseph Ruskin.
I love the message of this one as well, especially at this time of year too. Be careful what you wish for and/or You can't always get what you want.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:36 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Okay, so I can't dismiss "The Man in the Bottle" as easily as Zicree does. He gives it a paragraph and calls it a "pretty pale affair". I wouldn't go quite that far. I though Don Medford's direction brought some neat shots and Joesph Ruskin as the Genie was very menacing, seeming both cordial and evil at once. I was really nailed by one of the wishes that I should have seen coming. Arthur Castle, trying to find the wish with no consequences, wishes to be a ruler of a foreign country in this century who can't be voted out of office. The Genie laughs wickedly and...poof...Arthur Castle is Hitler contemplating suicide. I didn't see it coming and it is where I wish (no pun intended) the episode would have ended. Unfortunately, it goes on. The way that the camera zooms in on the panicked face of Arthur Castle, now Hitler, for the first time creeped me right out.

My Rating: 6 - Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:57 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
This is another from Season 2 that I enjoy repeat viewings. The entire cast is superb, from Luther Adler's nervous naiveté, to the domineering Vivi Janiss to the almost sinister slimy used car salesman type genie in the form of the wonderful Joseph Ruskin.
I love the message of this one as well, especially at this time of year too. Be careful what you wish for and/or You can't always get what you want.

Woodrow has pretty much summed up the way I feel about this episode, it's very good and Joseph Rushkin is wonderful. 9/10

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:07 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
This is yet another episode I can watch quite a bit, and it doesn't get old.

Joseph Ruskin is great as the genie, and man does he have the perfect "slightly evil" laugh and voice.
If there ever was a man just tailored for a part, then this is it!

Luther Adler, Vivi Janiss, all here have good performances. Adler is a hair over the top towards the end as "Hitler", but this is of little consequence, and it doesn't take much away from this fine episode.

Interesting note- Joesph Ruskin was still doing plays late last year out in California!
I was shocked when I found this out, as I thought he looked a bit on the older side in the episode itself.

TZDZ is giving this one an 8.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:27 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
whitsbrain wrote:
Okay, so I can't dismiss "The Man in the Bottle" as easily as Zicree does.

My Rating: 6 - Good

I agree, it has more substance than Zicree gives it credit. I like the concept, the wishes
are what alot of people might ask for, it had some dark humor in it ( ala ZONE).
Nice acting,etc...

7 Zones

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 am 
Seven

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:21 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Seven

Cool to see we agree exactly on this one, good sir.

MrZ

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:47 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Most of the time you present certain themed stories {Vampires, Genies, Werewolves, etc} you can almost assure my missing it because it has mainly all been done before. However, certain times they get done in a way that the telling actually makes the tale. This is the case with, "The Man in the Bottle."

What I enjoyed most about this episode were the characters. They are all very likable. Luther, Vivi, Joe - even Mrs. Gumley whose name eludes me presently. I could believe that each of these actors were indeed the characters they were portraying.

Arthur Castle who although wished for wealth, didn't hoard it but shared it with his neighbors in skid row. His wife, although not always in agreement with his decisions, stood by her man in flush or fold. Ruskin as a Djin - almost perfect as to what you'd expect. Arrogant, proper, a down right smug SOB. But never malicious for the sake of being so when you examine the contents in a whole. I mean, really, like a Genie is supposed to take the IRS into account. If Arthur hadn't given the money away, they would have never found out, so whose fault was that really?

All in all, an enjoyable episode.

7!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:20 pm 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
A 7 from me. I quite like the way it all comes together.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:38 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I rated it a 7 before I saw the other results and looks to be about the same as what everyone else thinks. This episode is fun and can be viewed on more then one occasion hands down. Joseph Ruskin steals the show as the genie with Luther Adler and Vivi Janiss closely behind.
As DrM mentions the character of Arthur Castle has that smugness and arrogance side to him but still shows his good side in the end. What a lucky break to be back where he started, even if it is his average daily life.

I read somewhere that Luther Adler has also played Hitler twice in two other movies.....nice.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
As DrM mentions the character of Arthur Castle has that smugness and arrogance side to him but still shows his good side in the end.

I never said that :P

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
DrMoreau wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:
As DrM mentions the character of Arthur Castle has that smugness and arrogance side to him but still shows his good side in the end.

Oops you are right I seem to have confused Ruskin's character with Arthur Castle. My mistake...well then Dr M didnt say that I did :evil:
I still think Castle is a arrogant douche lol

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:55 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

Oops you are right I seem to have confused Ruskin's character with Arthur Castle. My mistake...well then Dr M didnt say that I did :evil:
I still think Castle is a arrogant douche lol

:ROTF: I agree.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 5:09 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I just saw it unedited for the first time (actually, I've seen it very few times in either form). Somehow Joseph Ruskin reminded me of (you're going to laugh) Joan Marshall's male character in "Homicidal." It's not that he actually seemed like a woman in male drag, or gay either, he just had an elegant way about him that reminded me of that particular character.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm 

Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
... Somehow Joseph Ruskin reminded me of (you're going to laugh) Joan Marshall's male character in "Homicidal."

Yeah - I can see that. Joan could have played in 2 episodes - this and Dead Man's Shoes. We could have called this "Warren: The Man in the Bottle"

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:16 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

It's just a shame that Joseph Ruskin didn't have any too much of a role in his only Outer Limits episode, "Production and Decay" (he played one of those nearly interchangeable characters in it).

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:37 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
We're presented with an idea that is something I'm sure we've all considered -- what would I wish for if granted 3 wishes from a genie?? The subject matter has been done before, but still an entertaining idea to see visualized. Good cast - all portrayed their characters very well. Great to see Joseph Ruskin, not just hear him (a la Kanamit). Of course, wishing for tax free money may be something we might consider nowadays, but even though Castle doesn't consider this consequence, the outrageous amount that is taxed boggles my mind and burns my insides. Alas, it gets the point across that one must consider all aspects of the wish and beware what is wished for. It doesn't end poorly for the Castles, which could've been one way of finishing this tale. The message I take away from it is to be happy with what you've got because things could always be worse.

7!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
The message I take away from it is to be happy with what you've got because things could always be worse.

True enough ... the grass is always greener until you've walked barefoot across it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:49 pm 

My Mood: Neutral
The real workhorse of this episode for me, is and always was Joseph Ruskin.
While Luther Adler and Vivi Janiss both do well in their roles, I see most of this as slightly above average TZ.
Add Ruskin into the mix as the (evil???) genie, and it turns into a real sparkler in my opinion.

Much of what is happening, like the "broke lady" coming in and asking for handouts, is happening more and more often in this new economy.
The tax man appearing out of nowhere getting a ridiculously large portion of the million wished for is a bit of a joke, but I can overlook it for the most part.

The way Castle bumbles his way through the wishes is entertaining enough, and Ruskin seems to get a kick out of it just as much as I do.

After his 4th wish, (with the 3rd being the bigger twist of the lot) he mentions how all of the wishes have been fragmented and little pieces.
Near the end, even his simple first wish turns back into "pieces". ;)

Yet another solid episode here. Ruskin's evil genie tactics make this ever-watchable for me.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 pm 

Gotta agree. Hands down - without a doubt - Ruskin is the sparkler in this whole affair. He's a Djinn, he's been doing this for thousands of years, he's seen and heard it all and basically knows how it's gonna play out. Like TZ mentions, he's getting a kick out of it so why spoil the fun. There is nothing in his words to the wise speech that doesn't let people ask questions about the details and specifics they or the Djinn have to adhere to. Buyer be ware unless you ask questions 1st.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Looks like I've already rated this one earlier this year. My views haven't changed a bit. Still enjoyable to watch and looks good in Blu-Ray.

7!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:06 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

This one always makes me think of a very short TZ parody on FUTURAMA (a sort of comedy blackout bit without the regular characters), that mashed together a few episodes very quickly. At one point an airplane passenger told the stewardess "There's a man on the wing of the plane! You've got to believe me!"
Then she held a mirror up to him and said "Why should I believe you? - You're Hitler!"
It might not be the funniest TZ parody ever, but it's interesting that they used a lesser-known episode like this one along with the famous ones.