The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Episode 137-Number 12 Looks Just Like You

ORIGINAL BROADCAST: January 24, 1964
STARRING CAST: Collin Wilcox, Suzy Parker, Richard Long, Pam Austin
WRITER: John Tomerlin
DIRECTOR: Abner Biberman

Meet Miss Marilyn Cuberle, who lives in a world of the future,... let's say the year 2000. Marilyn's mother, her Uncle Rick, and her best friend all try to tell her she needs to voluntarily conform and look like everyone else. Marilyn's problem is that she doesn't want to look like everyone else in this world of plastic perfection. A world of the here and now but not necessarily confined to ... the Twilight Zone.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:05 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
"Number Twelve Looks Just Like You" wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but it had a very surprising and dark ending. Of course, I like dark endings, so I'm rating this a "7". I also liked the sparse set. It reminded me of the set of "The Long Morrow" just two shows earlier. Another strong Season 5 episode.

My Rating: 7 - Very Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:54 am 
Nine

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
Very good episode, I like the way it depicts a conformist society made dull by it's lack of individuality and the ending was rather tragic. 8/10

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:03 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Strong episode that is the mirror of EotB, conform to beauty. Very reminiscent of the times we live in. Plastic surgery and lobotomy done at your quick easy one stop location. I was always disappointed in Marilyn.

7!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:41 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Important episode, surreal, nicely paced, acting was fine, visually appealing, fine concept
( I give eotb credit for being the original, however I like the execution of this one way better).

10 Zones

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:22 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Watched it again during the marathon. Still disappointed in Marilyn - Still love Dr. Rex delivering a very Dr. Evil physical performance.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:57 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Serling introduces the episode with the following narration:

"Given the chance, what young girl wouldn't happily exchange a plain face for a lovely one? What girl could refuse the opportunity to be beautiful? For want of a better estimate, let's call it the year 2000. At any rate, imagine a time in the future when science has developed a means of giving everyone the face and body he dreams of. It may not happen tomorrow - but it happens now in the Twilight Zone."

Prediction. Foreshadowing. Whatever you want to call it, Serling called it because now in the near future from the airing of that episode it's all we see. Plastic surgery all over the place, but a lot of it isn't perfect (as we've seen in some thread on this board). I just felt a chill during that narration calling it "the year 2000" and how close he was to presenting the current reality. Great episode, a childhood favorite. It's a dark, cold episode which I like.

9!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Rex....in all his glory............

I love the shot towards the end of the episode when Rex leaves in the background only to reappear when Marilyn mentions "they" lmao...classic....

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
An 8 from me. I like the concept and it seems more relevant than ever these days.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:01 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

This year's marathon is heavy on Season 5 thus far. I love this episode, and still love the open narration. Just a point shy off its predecessor on conformity and beauty, this episode delivers the message in a fine fashion with good characters and a wonderful, cold atmosphere. Truly foreshadows our vanity-obsessed society and the idea that one's form/figure can be altered to make it "beautiful".

9!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:57 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Not much different than my previous posts. I still really enjoy this episode. It's a memorable TZ, which makes it a classic IMO. It's got a great title, a pertinent story, a sparse, cold set that aids to the atmosphere, and a very good cast. To reference an earlier post, Dr. Evil took some acting lessons from Dr. Rex :lol:
I really liked the ending to this one, it's different than it's companion piece EotB, and makes it a bit more twisted. No matter what, Rod's narrations for this episode give me chills, simply for the foreshadowing; it's truly eerie how close to reality this episode is.

9!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:06 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
Richard Long.

He worked hardest, among the cast, on the multiple roles. (Anyone half-good can play a troubled intelligent teenager.) Long's gay-seeming doctor, complete with pinky finger sticking out to signal this in sexually bigoted 1960s TV was genius. His shrink denouncing Freud--while being an over the top parody of same--lends the only real humor to this dark opus. It's no surprise he got to be a regular in his own series.

Richard Long.

The primary reason I give this an 8.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:18 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

My Mood: Neutral
A somewhat better than average epsiode of a society so concerned with exterior beauty that its forgotten about "inner" beauty of the spirit :bell:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:03 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

Futuristic stories that actually give you a YEAR have a habit of making people snicker when that year comes along, so it's clever that in the introduction Rod says, in effect, "Let's just call it the Year 2000," leaving things very open-ended.
That reminds me of one thing in the short story that I'm not completely sorry they left out. In the story (if I remember correctly), medical science has actually gotten rid of the need for sleep! And it's one more way of making Marilyn look like a "freak" - someone finds her trying to sleep, and barely even knows what that is. I don't remember whether the story is set in 2000 or a lot later, but that part seems kind of far-fetched, more far-fetched than the operation that the story's about. Besides, you'd think that sleep is something a society like this one wouldn't WANT to do without!

(Of course, in THE SIXTH FINGER, Griffiths tells Mathers "I no longer have any need for sleep," but he's speaking from literally ONE MILLION years in the future, so that's a little different.)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:42 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Two-Bit, it is ironic, don't they need their Beauty Sleep? :clap:

This story is very relevant, and important to today and the near future ( 2017 and beyond). Humans keep
advancing cosmetic lines, botox injections, cosmetic surgery, etc...
In many people's mind : Beauty = youth, Beauty also can be believe to be associated with health and wealth, and other positive qualities. I am sure the author of this episode was not against beauty, or against self betterment, yet he was trying to say the obsession of the pursuit of perfection can be dangerous, basically: I think he was trying to say its our uniqueness that makes us beautiful.

10 zones

PtE is #1Image