It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:16 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
The endings that had the biggest impact on me were the following:

Time Enough Atlast -

First episode I ever saw, so I wasn't used to the format of the shows which made those glasses smashing even more shocking for me, but what really makes the situation horrifying is that Bemis is such a likable character it's heart breaking see his dreams shattered like that.

To Serve Man -

Joseph Rushkin's voice and Richard Kiel's sinister looks and smiles, really bring this one alive, and I'm sure most people were disturbed by finding out that the book was in fact a cook book.

People Are Alike All Over -

The ending of this seemed in a similar vein to "To Serve Man", even though we know early on from the handshake the Martians give eachother that there is somthing unpleasant about their intentions, I never would have guessed it was a zoo, it leaves you totally horrified.

The Silence -

When you see the scar on Tennyson's throat and the tears in his eyes, that to me was the ending that most made me feel sick, I almost felt like my own vocal chords had been severed.

The Purple Testament Of War -

Even though this is far from my favourite episode, that ending when he's sees his own glowing face in the mirror was just so unexpected and cool, really redeems the slowness of the episode.

A Stop At Wiloughby -

Just when you think a happy ending for a change, we find out he leapt from the train to his death, when I first saw it I wasn't overtly keen on it, cause that seemed such a depressing endng, but now I love it, and surely better to be dead than saddled with a nagging wife like that?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Rorschach wrote:
The endings that had the biggest impact on me were the following:

Time Enough Atlast -

First episode I ever saw, so I wasn't used to the format of the shows which made those glasses smashing even more shocking for me, but what really makes the situation horrifying is that Bemis is such a likable character it's heart breaking see his dreams shattered like that.

To Serve Man -

Joseph Rushkin's voice and Richard Kiel's sinister looks and smiles, really bring this one alive, and I'm sure most people were disturbed by finding out that the book was in fact a cook book.

People Are Alike All Over -

The ending of this seemed in a similar vein to "To Serve Man", even though we know early on from the handshake the Martians give eachother that there is somthing unpleasant about their intentions, I never would have guessed it was a zoo, it leaves you totally horrified.

The Silence -

When you see the scar on Tennyson's throat and the tears in his eyes, that to me was the ending that most made me feel sick, I almost felt like my own vocal chords had been severed.

The Purple Testament Of War -

Even though this is far from my favourite episode, that ending when he's sees his own glowing face in the mirror was just so unexpected and cool, really redeems the slowness of the episode.

A Stop At Wiloughby -

Just when you think a happy ending for a change, we find out he leapt from the train to his death, when I first saw it I wasn't overtly keen on it, cause that seemed such a depressing endng, but now I love it, and surely better to be dead than saddled with a nagging wife like that?

Great list! I totally agree with your choices ans would add:

"I Shot An Arrow Into The Air" - This is disturbing when you consider what Corey has to live with after what he has done.

"Long Distance Call" - The grandmother influences the young boy to actually try to commit suicide. Yikes!

"Person Or Persons Unknown" - The likeable main character goes through hell only to find an equally terrible reality.

"The Dummy" - The old switcheroo that occurs seems particularily cruel to nice guy Jerry.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:38 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

They're all decent shows too, I don't know if u read from my post on the episode Whit, but I read a book about the making of Planet of the apes that give away the ending to I Shot An Arrow Into The Air before I watched it! :x that sucked!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:14 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
"The Cold Equations" in the 80s series left me dumbstruck for a good few minutes.

Naturally "Time Enough At Last" and strangely "The Rip Van Winkle Caper" too (I must have been 9 when I saw it). I look at the episode now and it does give me a dose of nostalgia even though it isn't that great an episode.

"On Thursday We Leave For Home" had a similar effect on me that "The Cold Equations" did but not as strongly.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:37 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

MrRSerling wrote:
"The Cold Equations" in the 80s series left me dumbstruck for a good few minutes.

Naturally "Time Enough At Last" and strangely "The Rip Van Winkle Caper" too (I must have been 9 when I saw it). I look at the episode now and it does give me a dose of nostalgia even though it isn't that great an episode.

"On Thursday We Leave For Home" had a similar effect on me that "The Cold Equations" did but not as strongly.

I'm surprised I didn't mention The Rip Van Winkle Caper too, its also among the endings that affected me the most. As for the 80's revival series you're right The Cold Equations was pretty shocking, but the 1 that left me more with the same kind of feeling I got from the original series was the short "A Small Talent For War" the surprise of that really is one of the best ever.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:17 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Rorschach wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:

I'm surprised I didn't mention The Rip Van Winkle Caper too, its also among the endinfs that affected me the most. As for the 80's revival series you're right The Cold Equations was pretty shocking, but the 1 that left me more with the same kind of feeling I got from the original series was the short "A Small Talent For War" the surprise of that really is one of the best ever.

As far as the '80s revival of TZ goes, you are both right on. "The Cold Equations" was a total shocker and feature a disturbingly severe punishment for one of the characters. "A Small Talent For War" is just a great twist and a cruel verdict to hand down.

I just thought of another one. "Examination Day" features a very cruel and disturbing finale.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:24 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
CAUTION SEMI-SPOILER FOR 80S TZ

While I agree with you guys, and think that "A Small Talent for War", ranks right up there with the absolute best there is in any TZ, there is something else I would like to say on "The Cold Equations".

To me personally, "The Cold Equations/TCE" was a bit different.
The ending was one that I saw, and I almost figured could happen. B-U-T What made it so strong with me, was my thought train on it.
Its almost as if I told myself the whole last few minutes............."There is NO WAY its going to end like that, just NO WAY". Then BOOM thats what happened.
So in that particular case, to me personally, it wasn't the possibility of the ending that caught me off guard, it was the fact that they went through with it, that made it that much stronger with me.
Gotta admit getting a tad choked up on this one guys. :cry:
There is a difference, and I hope you guys see what I am trying to convey here.

This was another that would have been a fine addition to the original series too in my opinion.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:36 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I hate to be contradictory - and with respect - I have to disagree on "The Cold Equation." It was the most obvious and necessary conclusion to the story. Call me cold blooded, but that is what I would have done when faced with that decision. I was waiting for her to turn out to be a hologram, figment of his imagination, or a simulated test - but alas - it never switched from the final and most ultimate conclusion. Hardly shocking or disturbing in my humble opinion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:11 am 

DrMoreau wrote:
I hate to be contradictory - and with respect - I have to disagree on "The Cold Equation." It was the most obvious and necessary conclusion to the story. Call me cold blooded, but that is what I would have done when faced with that decision. I was waiting for her to turn out to be a hologram, figment of his imagination, or a simulated test - but alas - it never switched from the final and most ultimate conclusion. Hardly shocking or disturbing in my humble opinion.

Yes DrM, but I would have been scrapping to unhinge chairs, break off unneccesary doors, or whatever I could do.
But you are going right along with what I was saying, it was most obvious, but I hoped against all hope that it would end differently.
It actually didnt, and that to me was the twist , that made it NICE~!.
All along I was hoping for something different, but it just didn't happen. You say "hardly shocking or disturbing", but in fact, thats what everyone expects, including TZDZ, and then it happens, I was like NOOOOOOOO.
You have to admit, the ending was so damn obvious, then when it happens, I was like NO WAY, not that easy.

Hey, if I was there, I would have ejected myself. Let the girl live, I've seen enough, enjoy yourself chica. :D

Either way, in my book, its a good one.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:22 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Zicree reveals in the TZ companion that in The Cold Equations they were originally thinking of having him chop off his legs so the ship would be light enough to keep her on board, it might not have been quite as good a ending but it would have shocked me even more I think.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:02 pm 

Another ending that I think is underrated.........is "One More Pallbearer".
In fact, I think the whole episode is underrated.

I don't know if the ending was as much "shocking" as it was bizarre. I really like the way it gets quiet, and you see the "after effects", or what he perceives them to be anyhow.

Been a long time since I saw this one, I may slip it in and catch it later tonight.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:42 pm 

OMP - always one of my favorites

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:13 am 

Agreed, One More Pallbearer is one of my favorite endings in all of TZ.

Another that seems to be overlooked here in this thread is the sparkling "Deaths-Head Revisited". :sparkle:

Its hard to believe that noone has mentioned that one yet.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:18 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

Another that seems to be overlooked here in this thread is the sparkling "Deaths-Head Revisited". :sparkle:

TZ DZ Fan

I just found Deaths-Head Revisited pretty predictable personally.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:26 am 

Rorschach wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

TZ DZ Fan

I just found Deaths-Head Revisited pretty predictable personally.

I know, but you have to admit it is a disturbing ending though.

I remember posting a long time back , how cool would it have been to see Lutze hanging from the posts at the end, just as he saw some of his victims for a brief stint during the episode.................?

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:21 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

The Biggest by me and far most shocking was An Occurance at Owl Creek! :shock: Oooh SNAP!
I never saw THAT one coming. :? Left a big Impression on me as a small child! Also the
famous Nightmare at 20,000 feet scared the living $hit out of me when William Shatner
pulled back the curtains to look at the wing of the airplane. :shock: I nearly jumped out of my
seat and had to change my underwear. :rockon: Remember these shows are best viewed during
childhood. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:25 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

For me, it's The Masks. If you take it really literally -and maybe you aren't supposed to; I don't know - the character you're supposed to LIKE does this awful thing to the others (with their help, but he's still the one doing it).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Mr TZ DZ, One More Pallbearer does have a great ending, just unsettling. I know that the lead is a jerk, yet I still have pity for him, sad to say.

"The Lonely", when I was a boy and saw this ending, wow, spoiler here, to see Alicia's ( Alic-er) face shot off, just startling. To have to kill the thing you
gave someone for salvation is either really brash, or really caring, or both. One could say Allenby believes in tough-love lol.

" WTRMPSU", some will say this ending is obvious, I could not see the counter man being an alien, never saw that coming.

"Mirror Image", somewhat shocking, yet more makes one think, I know there is an audio sequel to it, I made a fanfic to end the cycle.

Whit, great point on "Person and..."

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

The very first episode I ever watched of the Twilight Zone was Stopover in a Quiet Town. I watched this again recently during the marathon and have to say, the ending to this episode has still one of the greatest impact of any of the Zones. It's the sole reason why I was hooked to this show at such an early age! Other honorable mentions go to: To Serve Man, Time Enough at Last, The After Hours, Monsters are Due on Maple Street...a a whole lot more I can't really think of at this moment.

Go Gators!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:36 pm 

The Invaders

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:18 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Wow! Reviving an old thread alert!

I was just re-reading this thread and remembered that I found "Shelter Skelter" both shocking and slightly disturbing.

Another one while trying to find the name of that episode that I realised has quite a shocking ending is "The Shadow Man".

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:15 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I dont know about any of you, but "Come Wander with me" has to rank up there as a disturbing ending. :D I mean, for all its faults and flubs as an episode (clearly its full of mistakes) nobody seems to pay much attention to the ending. I mean...what did the Rock-A-Billy Kid ever do to anybody? Besides kill a man, exploit small town folk for their music, and generally be an annoying ass. ;) I dont think he had what was coming to him by the Rayford brothers. That could have turned out such a beter way. At least it didnt go the Deliverance route before they shot him. :shock: I always cross my fingers and hope he escapes somehow. Fool just keeps going back to that music shop. :(
More of a disturbing ending then any of that.....Floyd Burney ending up with Liza Minnelli for eternity. :evil:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:52 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
I dont know about any of you, but "Come Wander with me" has to rank up there as a disturbing ending. :D I mean, for all its faults and flubs as an episode (clearly its full of mistakes) nobody seems to pay much attention to the ending. I mean...what did the Rock-A-Billy Kid ever do to anybody? Besides kill a man, exploit small town folk for their music, and generally be an annoying ass. ;) I dont think he had what was coming to him by the Rayford brothers. That could have turned out such a beter way. At least it didnt go the Deliverance route before they shot him. :shock: I always cross my fingers and hope he escapes somehow. Fool just keeps going back to that music shop. :(

"Come Wander With Me" has to fall in an odd category for me. Namely one that I haven't seen it many times at all.
I am guessing I have only sat through it 3-4 times at best, and its time for a rewatch.
In fact, now that the holidays are here, its time I snuck in some viewing of TZ once again.

Matter of fact, I think I will be catching a few of the ones I haven't seen very much, and this one must be included.
I don't know this one falls into the "disturbing" category, but it certainly has a more bizarre tone to it, and I tend to go for those in my TZ cravings. :dance:

Hell, its been probably 2 years or more since I have seen any episodes at all, and another couple of years beyond that since I have seen a significant amount.
This is a good thing though, as it helps to keep them fresh whereas I was seeing quite a bit of it there for a few years.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:49 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

I do feel "Come Wander With Me" does get a bad press because a lot of people simply don't get it. It isn't exactly a great episode but not as bad as many make out. It is a slightly disturbing ending but in the same was as Judgment Night but for different reasons.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:22 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

MrRSerling wrote:
I do feel "Come Wander With Me" does get a bad press because a lot of people simply don't get it. It isn't exactly a great episode but not as bad as many make out. It is a slightly disturbing ending but in the same was as Judgment Night but for different reasons.

I'm quite fond of it, in fact I notice looking at the thread for it, we both rated it higher than anyone else, with us each giving it 8/10.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:28 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:

I'm quite fond of it, in fact I notice looking at the thread for it, we both rated it higher than anyone else, with us each giving it 8/10.

Yep, same here. It's a more subtle and complex version of Judgment Night. I still can't quite fathom why it gets such hate. Maybe they just don't like the characters since Floyd Burney isn't that likeable really.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

MrRSerling wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:

Yep, same here. It's a more subtle and complex version of Judgment Night. I still can't quite fathom why it gets such hate. Maybe they just don't like the characters since Floyd Burney isn't that likeable really.

I think the Floyd Burney character is great, not that he's likable but his arrogance is amusing especially the way Gary Crosby plays him. Another thing that contributes to the effectiveness of the episode is the song, it's really haunting.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:19 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Definitely. The song is that magical touch that simply makes the episode much more enjoyable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:55 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

MrRSerling wrote:
Definitely. The song is that magical touch that simply makes the episode much more enjoyable.

Couldn't agree more :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm 

The whole problem with CWwM - IMO - is Gary Crosby. The strangeness of the episode appeals but his presence grates on my nerves. Sorry guys - just my 2 cents.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:36 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
The whole problem with CWwM - IMO - is Gary Crosby. The strangeness of the episode appeals but his presence grates on my nerves. Sorry guys - just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I can understand that. Maybe he is a previous incarnation of Justin Bieber? ;)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 am 

I agree about Gary Crosby.
I don't quite know if we are supposed to really like or dislike the guy....
One can sway this way or that (based on how its written), but if I have to wrestle with it that much just to try and figure out whether or not I like a character, than I can assure you I don't much like him.

Regardless, I never thought the episode was really bad, but it was never a "highlight" strong episode for me either.
I suppose if would be towards the upper end of the average group of episodes for me, slightly above average if you will.

In fact I had planned on viewing it in the last few days, but life has just gotten in the way as of late.

I have been wanting to start a thread, (that will be placed in the TZ section of the board and is SURE to get some more episode specific discussion going) but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet, for a variety of reasons. I think we could use a bit more good TZ discussion, but truth be known its been so damn long now since I have seen any, I will need to rewatch quite a few, and I have plans to.

I am also looking for someone to help a slight bit occaisionally with this thread I am going to start, and I am waiting to hear back from Mr.Z. We discussed the idea many many months ago, and I am finally about to get it started.

Stay Tuned......

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:56 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

Maybe it's a reflection of his performance - an arrogant up-and-coming star looking for songs to pinch and release as his own. Or maybe he's just a crap actor :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:49 pm 

MrRSerling wrote:
Maybe it's a reflection of his performance - an arrogant up-and-coming star looking for songs to pinch and release as his own. Or maybe he's just a crap actor :)

I think its partially both, and I even thought that a long time ago after watching the episode a few times.
He is unlikeable in the episode (meant to be??? :? ), and generally sort of unlikeable as an actor.

I don't quite know what he did to be famous, other than being related to Bing Crosby, as he didn't exactly have a memorable acting career. (err, well after looking I did note he was in much more than I thought)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:35 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I do know one problem people had with Gary Crosby later on, and that's that (unlike Christina Crawford) a whole lot of people didn't believe him or his tell-all book, at least not for a long while. So that made him seem like a jerk to a lot of people, whether he was or not. (I have no opinion about him one way or the other.)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:13 am 

Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
I do know one problem people had with Gary Crosby later on, and that's that (unlike Christina Crawford) a whole lot of people didn't believe him or his tell-all book, at least not for a long while. So that made him seem like a jerk to a lot of people, whether he was or not.

The most likely reason for that, is that Bing Crosby was such a loved "figure"....... and I mean literally across the nation.

People in this country tend to put their loved ones, and heroes on a pedestal, as if they can do no wrong. Then when something like that comes out, most tend to think its bullshit, and the knee-jerk reaction is to think its the source/writer. (and NOT their hero)

All of this was long before my time though, maybe some of our older members could elaborate more on Crosby and the aftermath of the "tell all".
Woodrow Mulligan kept up pretty well on many of the stars of Hollywood, especially some of the older ones. If he sees this maybe he can chime in.

TZ DZ fan