Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
SYFY’S ANNUAL JULY 4TH TWILIGHT ZONE CELEBRATION MOST WATCHED HOLIDAY MARATHON IN SIX YEARS
TAKES MORE THAN 1.3 MILLION VIEWERS INTO A DIMENSION AS TIMELESS AS INFINITY

NEW YORK – July 7, 2011 – Syfy’s annual Twilight Zone marathon delivered the highest audience in total viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for a July 4th programming stunt since 2005.

More than 1.36 million total viewers, 613,000 Adults 25-54 and 461,000 Adults 18-49 made the journey into that middle ground between light and shadow during 8-11PM.

I bet these idiots over at "Sy Fy" are realizing how stupid they were last year when they didnt put any Twilight Zone on for 4th of July.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
StillValleyBard wrote:
SYFY’S ANNUAL JULY 4TH TWILIGHT ZONE CELEBRATION MOST WATCHED HOLIDAY MARATHON IN SIX YEARS
TAKES MORE THAN 1.3 MILLION VIEWERS INTO A DIMENSION AS TIMELESS AS INFINITY

NEW YORK – July 7, 2011 – Syfy’s annual Twilight Zone marathon delivered the highest audience in total viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 for a July 4th programming stunt since 2005.

More than 1.36 million total viewers, 613,000 Adults 25-54 and 461,000 Adults 18-49 made the journey into that middle ground between light and shadow during 8-11PM.

I bet these idiots over at "Sy Fy" are realizing how stupid they were last year when they didnt put any Twilight Zone on for 4th of July.

Wow, that's amazing! So great to see a strong showing for our favorite timeless classics! Thanks for posting it SVB.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:42 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral

Link

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:15 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

A year later and I plan on tuning in again. I'll be BBQing at my place this year so I intend on having it playing all day. It's a one-day special 8am-5am, looking forward to it!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Syfy’s July 4th "Twilight Zone" Marathon 2012 Line-Up

July 4
8am: “Probe 7 Over and Out”
8:30am: “Caesar and Me”
9am: “The Old Man in the Cave”
9:30am: “Mr. Dingle, the Strong”
10am: “A Kind of Stopwatch”
10:30am: “A Hundred Yards Over the Rim”
11am: “Little Girl Lost”
11:30am: “A Game of Pool”
12pm: “Long Distance Call”
12:30pm: “A Most Unusual Camera”
1pm: “Stopover in a Quiet Town”
1:30pm: “Number Twelve Looks Just Like You”
2pm: “I Sing the Body Electric”
2:30pm: “Five Characters in Search of an Exit”
3pm: “Night of the Meek”
3:30pm: “Kick the Can”
4pm: “Where Is Everybody?”
4:30pm: “Dead Man’s Shoes”
5pm: “The Hitch-Hiker”
5:30pm: “The Dummy”
6pm: “The Invaders”
6:30pm: “The Bewitchin’ Pool”
7pm: “Living Doll”
7:30pm: “The Howling Man”
8pm: “Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?
8:30pm: “The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street”
9pm: “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet”
9:30pm: “Time Enough at Last”
10pm: “To Serve Man”
10:30pm: “A Stop at Willoughby”
11pm: “Eye of the Beholder”
11:30pm: “The Obsolete Man”

July 5
12am: “The Midnight Sun”
12:30am: “The Odyssey of Flight 33″
1am: “The Masks”
1:30am: “Third From the Sun”
2am: “It’s a Good Life”
2:30am: “Nick of Time”
3am: “Night Call”
3:30am: “A Penny For Your Thoughts”
4am: “The After Hours”
4:30am: “The Little People”

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:43 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

The Midnight Sun at midnight, those clever bastards. 8) I like it.
"Number 12" was the twelveth episode they played today. That i also like

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:56 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

Last night while at work...... *cough* the poker game, my buddy BarryS (who i think is still a member here) had the marathon on in the background.

I managed to catch most of this little run:

Its been ages other than our ep of the week entries.
Feelsgoodman :)

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:50 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Last night while at work...... *cough* the poker game, my buddy BarryS (who i think is still a member here) had the marathon on in the background.

I managed to catch most of this little run:

Its been ages other than our ep of the week entries.
Feelsgoodman :)

TZ DZ Fan

You caught a string of solid episodes there. I managed most of the episodes during the day, missing a few here and there, but couldn't make it for the exact block you watched.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

There will be a small marathon on this year. It looks like it has the standard classics.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Haven't checked the schedule -- is it just the one day? 12-hour/24-hour marathon?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:07 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I'm enjoying it so far -- real happy to kick it off with 'Walking Distance'. The one thing I'm doing, though, is watching it with my BluRays. Screw the chopped up SyFy version. Plus the remastered look is beautiful and clean. Enjoy the marathon everyone!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:41 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Another July 4th marathon tomorrow! Looks like another one-day showing this year 8am-8pm, then a break for wrestling and Spartacus, with a return around midnight until 4am. Won't get to watch much of anything since I'll be traveling into Brooklyn for family plans, but I'll try to catch the first 2-3 episodes before leaving. Depending on how busy my night is, maybe I'll be awake for the after midnight showing. Enjoy the marathon everyone!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:53 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic

Long live the Zone marathon.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:48 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Two of my top 10 to kick off today's marathon: Five Characters in Search of an Exit and Nick of Time. Very good start!

Happy 4th of July everyone!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:54 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

One quick side note: now that TZ has been restored, I just don't understand why SyFy doesn't show the cleaner versions. Perhaps it would cost them money to chop it up again the way they have the current versions. Or maybe they think keeping it as is gives it a classic feel. I think they should just run the full episodes in clear restoration and only have 5 minutes of ads/commercials, but I suppose that's asking way too much.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:43 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I like that the marathon remains a tradition on SyFy, but I can't watch it. The episodes look horrible and they are butchered for commercials.

I watched the pretty poor episode "Four O'Clock" last night on my Blu-Ray set. Again, if you don't have the Blu-Rays...they look unbelievable! I can not get over the clarity.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:30 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
I like that the marathon remains a tradition on SyFy, but I can't watch it. The episodes look horrible and they are butchered for commercials.

I watched the pretty poor episode "Four O'Clock" last night on my Blu-Ray set. Again, if you don't have the Blu-Rays...they look unbelievable! I can not get over the clarity.

Co-sign.

I only watched about 4 episodes but that's simply because I was out pretty much the whole day. Had I been home, I would've just popped in my Blu-Rays to watch the episodes that were being aired.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

We have to pretend we still watch the SYFY TZ marathons or they will just stop showing it. Here at PtE we adore The twilight Zone but we reject the standard edited hacked cut up insulting episodes they provide during the current new Years and 4th of july marathons. While I am greatful that these marathons attract new fans every single year I would think that they owe it to us the viewer to provide the highest quality of TZ they can offer, figuring that nobody gives a flying f that SYFY shows ANY other show during these holidays that will draw in viewers EXCEPT TZ. Take for example in (2010? The name escapes me...read the first post in this thread for confirmation) they showed some dumbass 70s sci fi crap one hit wonder show over twilight Zone and the ratings proved nobody gave a shite. The following year when they wised up The Twilight Zone had the highest rating in YEARS.

This show...is neverending. It might be the best tv show ever made. it truly is timeless.

Truthfully I havent watched a marathon in almost a decade but I always make a note to keep the channel ON regardless if Im home or not... to let those idiots over at SYFY know that people are still watching and dedicated. I take great pleasure in knowing SOMEBODY either a new fan or old gets to experience the Twilight Zone with me. Whether its 930am 4th of July or 230am jan1st..or Whenever. I cant even count the number of friends that truly embrace this show and I dont even try to influence them tlo watch.. They caught the TZ bug just like I did.

I love these marathons..even if they suck.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

StillValleyBard wrote:

This show...is neverending. It might be the best tv show ever made. it truly is timeless.

I agree, its timeless, and yes : The Twilight Zone is the best tv show ever!!!!

The First episode aired October 2, 1959. ( Unless we count The Time Element, 1958, which is cool )That is longevity and durability.

The fact that its the best marathon ever, says it all.

:D

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Two of my top 10 to kick off today's marathon: Five Characters in Search of an Exit and Nick of Time. Very good start!

How would you have felt if William Shatner ( Captain Kirk) played The Major, in FCISoaE?

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:26 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I watched a couple episodes. I caught six cuts in "Third From The Sun" without actually paying full attention at the time. There were probably more. The cuts are sad but commercial TV, which includes basic cable, has to make their parent corporation more profits than last year--forever--and NBC which owns the SyFy network cares only for this bottom line. No syndicated show is therefore uncut. This creates a niche market for the DVDs--when DVDs are available.

The problem began when the number of commericals allowed per hour was "deregulated" by Reagan's appointees to the FCC. A half hour show which had three minutes of ads before the ruling was therefore cut to accomidate as many ads as desired by The Suits.

Another trend, even more cynical, is what AMC does. After the first run of each season of Breaking Bad, all curse words are excised. The volume goes to zero as the actor speaks and sometimes part of the word before and part of the word after is damaged. This is done only after the first run of a season has ended. It's their way of forcing you to buy the DVDs if you did not record the uncut/uncensored episodes when first run.

The Boondocks had a wonderful episode last week. In this animated teleseries curses and even nudity are censored during the first run and all reruns. In last week's episode the boys cursed up a storm. Then in an aside to the audience, Riley said, "Why are we sayin' all this? It'll only get bleeped!" "Not on the DVD. You gotta love them DVDs," Huey told him.

It's like the concept of "bad" money drives out "good" money in circulation; the good money getting melted down for its metalic value. Broadcast and basic cable television have been cheapened by FCC rulings, and not just by more commercial breaks with more commericals in them. The station logo used to be only allowed briefly at the top of each hour; now it is forever on screen (except during commericals!) and is called a Bug in the industry now--not a Logo--because it is meant to bug you, to constantly remind you what channel you are tuned to. During the program pop up ads are allowed, many large and animated, often obliterating vital details in the scene, including the opening credits or captions needed to tell the viewer the time or place of a scene. Closing credits of the people who slaved to bring you the program you say you like so much are crunched into a tiny box--along with the obliteration of closing music--to put up "in-house" ads of the next program to keep you watching. And if you keep watching things will get worse. Are we far from a continous crawl on screen during the program for ads and promos? A split screen pop up ad during the program? Surely product placement is not enough! This is all corporate greed supported by passive viewers who never write in to networks to complain signaling they are willing to take even more abuse and soon.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:13 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
We have to pretend we still watch the SYFY TZ marathons or they will just stop showing it. Here at PtE we adore The twilight Zone but we reject the standard edited hacked cut up insulting episodes they provide during the current new Years and 4th of july marathons. While I am greatful that these marathons attract new fans every single year I would think that they owe it to us the viewer to provide the highest quality of TZ they can offer, figuring that nobody gives a flying f that SYFY shows ANY other show during these holidays that will draw in viewers EXCEPT TZ. Take for example in (2010? The name escapes me...read the first post in this thread for confirmation) they showed some dumbass 70s sci fi crap one hit wonder show over twilight Zone and the ratings proved nobody gave a shite. The following year when they wised up The Twilight Zone had the highest rating in YEARS.

Truthfully I havent watched a marathon in almost a decade but I always make a note to keep the channel ON regardless if Im home or not... to let those idiots over at SYFY know that people are still watching and dedicated. I take great pleasure in knowing SOMEBODY either a new fan or old gets to experience the Twilight Zone with me. Whether its 930am 4th of July or 230am jan1st..or Whenever. I cant even count the number of friends that truly embrace this show and I dont even try to influence them tlo watch.. They caught the TZ bug just like I did.

I love these marathons..even if they suck.

Preach! Well-stated man.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Mr.Z wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

How would you have felt if William Shatner ( Captain Kirk) played The Major, in FCISoaE?

I think I'd be ok with it; I think he'd play it in true Shat form. With that said, I would still prefer William Windom in the role because he slays it. To be honest a true assessment would be very tough because I've seen the episode so many times with Windom. If I were to be presented with the episode for the first time watching both actors star in the role, who knows how I'd feel or which way I would sway.

Ultimately, under the current circumstances, I prefer Windom but I think Shatner would have done well too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:17 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

JonnyDuffy wrote:
I watched a couple episodes. I caught six cuts in "Third From The Sun" without actually paying full attention at the time. There were probably more. The cuts are sad but commercial TV, which includes basic cable, has to make their parent corporation more profits than last year--forever--and NBC which owns the SyFy network cares only for this bottom line. No syndicated show is therefore uncut. This creates a niche market for the DVDs--when DVDs are available.

The problem began when the number of commericals allowed per hour was "deregulated" by Reagan's appointees to the FCC. A half hour show which had three minutes of ads before the ruling was therefore cut to accomidate as many ads as desired by The Suits.

Another trend, even more cynical, is what AMC does. After the first run of each season of Breaking Bad, all curse words are excised. The volume goes to zero as the actor speaks and sometimes part of the word before and part of the word after is damaged. This is done only after the first run of a season has ended. It's their way of forcing you to buy the DVDs if you did not record the uncut/uncensored episodes when first run.

The Boondocks had a wonderful episode last week. In this animated teleseries curses and even nudity are censored during the first run and all reruns. In last week's episode the boys cursed up a storm. Then in an aside to the audience, Riley said, "Why are we sayin' all this? It'll only get bleeped!" "Not on the DVD. You gotta love them DVDs," Huey told him.

It's like the concept of "bad" money drives out "good" money in circulation; the good money getting melted down for its metalic value. Broadcast and basic cable television have been cheapened by FCC rulings, and not just by more commercial breaks with more commericals in them. The station logo used to be only allowed briefly at the top of each hour; now it is forever on screen (except during commericals!) and is called a Bug in the industry now--not a Logo--because it is meant to bug you, to constantly remind you what channel you are tuned to. During the program pop up ads are allowed, many large and animated, often obliterating vital details in the scene, including the opening credits or captions needed to tell the viewer the time or place of a scene. Closing credits of the people who slaved to bring you the program you say you like so much are crunched into a tiny box--along with the obliteration of closing music--to put up "in-house" ads of the next program to keep you watching. And if you keep watching things will get worse. Are we far from a continous crawl on screen during the program for ads and promos? A split screen pop up ad during the program? Surely product placement is not enough! This is all corporate greed supported by passive viewers who never write in to networks to complain signaling they are willing to take even more abuse and soon.

Well said JD!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:13 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Thanks, Lazy