Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Twilight Zone Film
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:07 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
The following article says that this new Twilight Zone film (the same one Leonardo Dicaprio has been planning to produce for years, but now going into development) will be "one big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel", a sci-fi action movie rather than an anthology film? Sounds a terrible idea, but who knows? Maybe it might not suck.

"Matt Reeves Set to Direct TWILIGHT ZONE Film

by Adam Chitwood Posted:October 15th, 2011 at 3:08 pm

After mulling over a number of directors for the gig (which reportedly included Christopher Nolan, Alfonso Cuaron, and Michael Bay), Warner Bros. has settled on Let Me In director Matt Reeves to helm their new Twilight Zone film. Deadline reports that negotiations are set to get underway next week, with the intention of getting things moving quickly in order to star production by next summer. Jason Rothenberg (Body Politic) wrote the script, which will be “one big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel.” The single story angle is unlike the previous 1983 feature film iteration of the TV series, which was an anthology comprised of multiple segments with different directors (including Steven Spielberg and John Landis).

Reeves’ 2010 horror film Let Me In, a remake of the Swedish flick Let the Right One In, drew some high praise both as a remake and as a standalone pic. In my opinion, he’s a fine choice to take on the sci-fi update, and I’m excited to see what he’ll he has in store for the mind-bending material. Hit the jump for a rundown of the many projects that Reeves currently has in development.

While Twilight Zone is sure to be a priority for the director, Reeves actually has quite a few projects in various stages of development at the moment. He’s set to direct an adaptation of Kenneth Oppel’s novel This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein. Jacob Aaron Estes (The Details) wrote the script for the Frankenstein prequel, which finds a young Victor Frankenstein on a mission to find a mysterious alchemist and create the Elixir of Life in order to save his twin brother’s life.

Reeves is also poised to helm an adaptation of Justin Cronin’s novel The Passage, which takes place in the future where a government attempt to cure cancer turns people into vampires. Jason Keller (Machine Gun Preacher) was tapped to perform a rewrite on the script this past June. Additionally, Reeves has been writing (and plans to direct) a sci-fi film based on Ray Nelson’s short story 8 O’Clock in the Morning about a man who wakes up and realizes that aliens are controlling our daily lives. There’s no word on where these projects stand at the moment, but the latter sounds like a Twilight Zone pic unto itself."

http://collider.com/matt-reeves-twilight-zone/120765/

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:58 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Just reading about this in todays Paper. Good to see this is getting some feet under it after 3+ years.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:17 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Rorschach wrote:
The following article says that this new Twilight Zone film (the same one Leonardo Dicaprio has been planning to produce for years, but now going into development) will be "one big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel", a sci-fi action movie rather than an anthology film?

"a sci-fi action movie "

Starting to sound like its going downhill already if you ask me.
Even the IDEA of entertaining Michael Bay as director, taints it from the start.

As good as this idea may have sounded at first, it has lost most of its luster in my book. :(

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:34 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
The following article says that this new Twilight Zone film (the same one Leonardo Dicaprio has been planning to produce for years, but now going into development) will be "one big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel", a sci-fi action movie rather than an anthology film?

"a sci-fi action movie "

Starting to sound like its going downhill already if you ask me.
Even the IDEA of entertaining Michael Bay as director, taints it from the start.

As good as this idea may have sounded at first, it has lost most of its luster in my book. :(

TZ DZ fan

Yeah the idea of it being "a sci-fi action movie" makes me cringe too, but at least the guy they've picked to direct it, Matt Reeves, is supposed to be pretty decent and not a Michael Bay style hack.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:07 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah Reeves sounds like a good choice. Michael Bay represents everything that's wrong with Hollywood IMO, all style no substance.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:50 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Anthony wrote:
Yeah Reeves sounds like a good choice. Michael Bay represents everything that's wrong with Hollywood IMO, all style no substance.

Too true!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:26 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So any word on what the story will be, since it won't be an anthology style, with individual stories, like the series or first movie? Are any script drafts mentioned or posted online anywhere? And was that movie The Button, based on the Button Button story by Richard Matheson and adapted for the 1985 TZ series any good?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:07 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Anthony wrote:
... And was that movie The Button, based on the Button Button story by Richard Matheson and adapted for the 1985 TZ series any good?

In the beginning yes - but after 30 minutes or so into it, it became a completely exaggerated tale about what happens to those who pushed the button and where they end up, etc. Ruins the initial story in my way of seeing it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:45 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Anthony wrote:
So any word on what the story will be, since it won't be an anthology style, with individual stories, like the series or first movie? Are any script drafts mentioned or posted online anywhere? And was that movie The Button, based on the Button Button story by Richard Matheson and adapted for the 1985 TZ series any good?

No idea on the story. But, I heard that the movie will not be an anthology but one long 90-minute tale directed by Matt Reeves (Cloverfield).

Grrr...TZ has to be an anthology! That's the brand!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:21 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Update: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-t ... vie-23373/

Seems to be playing musical chairs with writers. Hope this is a good one.

In reading the initial post by Rorschach, didn't realize Christopher Nolan was a possibility. If he was doing this, I'd be so ready for it. Matt Reeves should be good though.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:05 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

They ought to do what they did with the '83 TZ film. Give 4 directors the helm for 4 different stories. How about Christopher Nolan, Guillermo Del Toro, Brad Bird and Alex Proyas each take one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:11 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
That would be pretty sweet, and a great list of directors you've got there too.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:38 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Amy Heckerling, Ridley Scott, Leonard Nimoy if he's still in business and Paul Verhoeven. Those are the directors with the best storytelling skills and make films somewhat in the spirit of the Twilight Zone for me. :|

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:45 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I picked directors I enjoy and think have a talent for an O. Henry ending.

And I think M. Night is appropriate, too. But he is undeservedly box-office poison right now.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:20 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

whitsbrain wrote:
Anthony wrote:

No idea on the story. But, I heard that the movie will not be an anthology but one long 90-minute tale directed by Matt Reeves (Cloverfield).

Grrr...TZ has to be an anthology! That's the brand!

So, it's more like Heavy Metal 2000, with the one continuous story, rather than the original Heavy Metal movie, with several different stories.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Beware The Creeper wrote:
Amy Heckerling, Ridley Scott, Leonard Nimoy if he's still in business and Paul Verhoeven. Those are the directors with the best storytelling skills and make films somewhat in the spirit of the Twilight Zone for me. :|

And if it's going to be sci-fi action, Scott or Verhoeven would work, since they've done some good work in that area, especially Verhoeven, with Robocop and Total Recall.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

whitsbrain wrote:
I picked directors I enjoy and think have a talent for an O. Henry ending.

And I think M. Night is appropriate, too. But he is undeservedly box-office poison right now.

What's an O. Henry ending?

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:59 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anthony wrote:
What's an O. Henry ending?

A twist ending

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:54 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

"'Tron' Helmer Joseph Kosinski to Direct 'Twilight Zone' Film (Exclusive)"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ect-608166

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:21 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I have Oblivion sitting in front of me and plan to watch soon. I hope it doesnt affect how Ill feel about this film reboot.
Lets hope the TZ film promotes the original concepts of the old series and not a bunch of propaganda crap.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:10 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

StillValleyBard wrote:
I have Oblivion sitting in front of me and plan to watch soon. I hope it doesnt affect how Ill feel about this film reboot.
Lets hope the TZ film promotes the original concepts of the old series and not a bunch of propaganda crap.

Right on, SVB! I agree totally.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:38 am 

StillValleyBard wrote:

:x Yeah! We already know they are watching us! :wtf:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Oblivion leaves me with some hope the new Twilight Zone film will be decent. :? I guess it felt better then average but not exactly above average. You figure that out. If youve seen MOON (2009) you feel ripped off.
Having said that ... I am right back where I started. The good news... the director aint no fn Michael Bay. Jump for joy.