Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:10 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Just wondering. From what I read on the TV Shows on DVD site, that extras look awesome. This release and the fact that a lot of movie releases are having extras not on regular DVD releases are making me want to buy a Blu Ray player. By the way, what's the best Blu Ray player to get? I'm guessing Sony, since they invented Blu Ray or a PS3, which Sony also makes. But mainly, what are the extas like on the original TZ series Blu Ray seasons?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:49 am 
Director of the National Post

I know that fellow member whitsbrain has the sets on Blu Ray, but honestly I don't think theres much difference in the extras.
Maybe a few things here and there, but from what I recall, most all the extras that were on the Definitive Edition sets are close to the same as on the newer Blu Ray sets.

Maybe whit will respond here if he sees it.

I know DrM was considering buying the Blu Ray sets too, but damn if I can remember if he ever decided to go ahead and get them.
I have the Definitive Editions, and they are stout enough for me. Maybe one day I will upgrade, but may be awhile.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:57 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Still have the Def Eds myself. I just have my Blue Ray and PS3 upgrade the quality to 1080p

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I own all seasons of the original series on Blu-Ray. I also own the Definitive Edition DVDs. When Season One came out on Blu-Ray, there was a lot of confusion about what was on and what wasn't on the Blu-Rays. I did a comparison between the DVDs and the new Blu-Ray sets at that time. I've republished it below (this well received review is also posted on Amazon.com at http://www.amazon.com/review/R1UNUUN1IPRIPU/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003JBI3GA&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=). I have not done a side-by-side comparison of the other season sets, but the Blu-Ray sets have more commentaries and radio dramas, so it is similar to the Season 1 differences.

---TZ Season 1 Blu-Ray---
Okay, here's my side-by-side comparison of the new Blu-Ray Season 1 set and the DVD Definitive Edition Season 1 set. I'll preface this by stating that I went through all of the disc menus and each episode menu side-by-side (DVD and Blu-Ray). I found some things scattered around different areas of the sets but the good news is that the extras on the new Blu-Ray set dwarf those on the Definitive DVD sets.

Again, this is a list of the differences between the two sets.

Here are the extras on the DVD Definitive Season 1 set that are NOT on the Blu-Ray Season 1 set:
-Episode: "Time Enough At Last
- The Drew Carey Show clip

- Episode: "The Mighty Casey"
- Rare Photos (about 10 behind-the-scenes photos)

- Bonus Features (on Disc Six)
- Rod Serling's Netherlands Sales Pitch
- Liar's Club episode
- Rod Serling Blooper (a 10 second clip)
- A Kimberly Clark "Kleenex" Billboard featuring about a 15 second cartoon
- Twilight Zone Comic Book (in .pdf format)
- Season One Photo Gallery (about 24 total photos, of which about 10 are Behind-The-Scenes photos)
- Rod Serling Game Show Photos (total of 2 photos)

Here are the items on the Blu-Ray Season 1 set that are NOT on the DVD Definitive Season 1 set:
- Episode: "Where Is Everybody?"
- Radio Drama starring Rob Schneider

- Episode: "One For the Angels"
- Interview with Dana Dillaway
- Commentary by Gary Gerani
- Isolated score

- Episode: "Mr. Denton On Doomsday"
- Isolated score

- Episode: "Walking Distance"
- Commentary by Marc Scott Zircee
- Commentary by Steven C. Smith, John Morgan, William T. Stromberg
- Alternate Audio Mix (not sure what difference is)
- Radio drama starring Chelcie Ross

- Episode: "Escape Clause"
- Isolated score
- Radio drama starring Mike Starr

- Episode: "The Lonely"
- Commentray by Steven C. Smith, John Morgan, William T. Stromberg
- Rod Serling lecture at Sherwood Oaks College

- Episode: "Time Enough At Last"
- Radio drama starring Tim Kazurinsky

- Episode: "Perchance To Dream"
- Interview with Suzanne Lloyd
- Radio drama starring Fred Willard

- Episode: "What You Need"
- Tales of Tomorrow episode: "What You Need"

- Episode: "The Four of Us Are Dying"
- Interview with Beverly Garland

- Episode: "Third From the Sun"
- Commentary by David Simkins and Marc Scott Zircee

- Episode: "I Shot An Arrow Into the Air"
- Isolated Score

- Episode: "The Hitch-Hiker"
- Commentary by Marc Scott Zicree
- Radio drama starring Kate Jackson

- Episode: "The Fever"
- Isolated Score
- Radio drama starring Stacy Keach and Kathy Garver

- Episode: "The Last Flight"
- Isolated Score
- Radio drama starring Charles Shaughnessy

- Episode: "The Purple Testament"
- Commentary by William Reynolds
- Interview with Ron Masak

- Episode: "Mirror Image"
- Radio drama starring Morgan Brittany and Frank John Hughes

- Episode: "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"

- Episode: "A World of Difference"
- Commentary by director Ted Post

- Episode: "Long Live Walter Jameson"
- Isolated Score
- Radio Drama starring Lou Diamond Phillips

- Episode: "People Are Alike All Over"
- Isolated Score
- Radio Drama starring Blair Underwood

- Episode: "Execution"
- Isolated Score

- Episode: "A Stop At Willoughby"
- 1977 Syndication Promo

- Episode: "A Passage For Trumpet"
- Commentary by Mark Fergus and Marc Scott Zicree

- Episode: "Mr. Bevis"
- Isolated Score

- Episode: "The After Hours"
- 1977 Syndication Promo
- Isolated Score

- Episode: "The Mighty Casey"
- Isolated Score
- Radio Drama starring Paul Dooley

- Episode: "A World of His Own"
- Isolated Score

- Bonus Features (on Disc Five)
- Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse: "The Time Element"
- Syndication Open and Close
- Zicree Interview:George Clemens (1978) Part 1 (audio only)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
As I mentioned in another thread, the SyFy July 4th marathon brought me to the Amazon website because that particular day they were selling The Twilight Zone complete series on BluRay for a stellar $180 (currently around $230 on Amazon). It was it's Gold Box Deal of the Day and as I have been waiting for this series to finally come out on BluRay in a complete series set, that discount made the most sense to purchase. Now, it is not a crazy set -- simply all 5 seasons collected together in one box. However, it's chock full of extras as whit has shown above. When I say "crazy set" I refer to certain series like "Lost" -- the complete series on BluRay (which I own) is obscene. Here is a picture of what the set looks like:

As you can see there are many bonus items included and the packaging is wild. Another example is the Battlestar Galactica complete series BluRay set (which I own):
Here, the packaging is pretty unusual, AND you get a neat little Cylon. I can go on about "crazy sets", but with TZ, I was just ecstatic to find it finally packaged together in BluRay. Personally, I think they should've just went this way to begin with, but I understand they're constantly squeezing whatever they can out of the fans, and it's a time-consuming project cleaning up these things for pristine transfers.

My point of this post is that I finally received the set last week and I have just cracked it. I watched 'Where is Everybody?' and it's wonderful to see in such crystal clarity. I also intend on watching every extra for each episode as I go along. I've seen all these episodes (with exception of 'An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge' and 'The Encounter'), but I plan on watching the full episode first and following each up with their respective extras (including all commentaries). This is going to be a long deconstruction of the show, but I will ensconce myself in it anytime I get a chance. I'm just thrilled to finally own my favorite show in the BluRay format.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:06 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Very cool, Lazy. I am really loving the TZ BluRays. The extras have been a lot of fun.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I have a few questions for the TZ blu ray owners, because it would appear Im long overdue for an upgrade from (yikes) VHS....and from what people are describing it sounds like these blu ray versions are like owning the series for the very first time again. So....

1.Is it worth it? (like I need to ask)
2.What order are the episodes arranged in? Alphabetical or Original Air Date? or Production etc
3.Any hidden easter eggs?
4.Is there a Play All feature, instead of endless clicking to find and play each episode?

Thanks..just a few small details im curious about. They seem worth it regardless and its innevitable I'll upgrade.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Worth it, yes, absolutely.

Episodes are arranged in season order, original air date.

Hidden Easter Eggs - haven't found any.

Yes, there's a play all feature. Of course, myself, I'm watching everything they offer - the actual episode, episodes with commentaries, interviews, radio plays, etc.

Right now Amazon.com has the BluRay set for just under $200; I bought it last summer for around $180. I believe it was on sale within the last 2-3 months for about $160. Either way, it's worth the money to own the whole set in crystal clear pristine BluRay technology.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:44 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ BluRays are totally worth it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

It's at about $205 now on Amazon. Still worth the purchase, but I've seen it drop lower than that; may be worth waiting for a dip in price.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:28 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
$187 on Blu-Ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Twili ... ray/39787/

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Twilig ... odes/19728

Another release of the original series - looks good for newbies interested in seeing what the show is about. The first one is interesting because it's just the first 10 episodes of Season 1. Again, a good intro to the show for a new viewer who isn't sure about plunging the dough for the whole series. The second set is basically watching a mini-marathon - all the popular, well-known classics. Looking over the titles, it's like I spit out all the memorable episodes from my childhood marathon viewings.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:37 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

$205 on amazon last year, I would guess that hasnt dropped much... :wtf:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:06 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
I've recently bought the TZ BluRays and all I can say is WOW! The image is just so clear, the sound so crisp and the extras are so bountiful. I've just started season 4 and it's has been a real joy to watch. Even the weaker episodes are looking and sounding great. Not sure how much remastering was required but I've yet to see any scratches or holes in the image so I'm assuming they actually did a frame by frame cleanup. Naturally they didn't do the CBS logo at the end which I feel is a shame as it's almost skimping on the fine work. It does also give away how much work can and must have been required to clean up the detail.

I even noticed a boom mic shadow on "Showdown with Rance McGrew" when Rance runs and hides from Jesse James in the street. You see the shadow follow him as he is running. Glad they kept in such things, would be a shame to have them removed and lose something that kinda adds to the fandom.

Just waiting for the 80s and 2004 releases to pop out now. Oh, and the Night Gallery series too :D

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

MrRSerling wrote:
I've recently bought the TZ BluRays and all I can say is WOW! The image is just so clear, the sound so crisp and the extras are so bountiful.

Yeah, it is an amazing set. It's a perfect way to permanently honor TZ. Probably my favorite Blu-Ray set ever.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:12 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
MrRSerling wrote:
Just waiting for the 80s and 2004 releases to pop out now. Oh, and the Night Gallery series too :D

You know I don't think the 80's Twilight Zone will ever come out on blu-ray, the dvd picture quality of them isn't that good, on dvd the original series is far better, I think it's to do with the state of the original elements they had to work with, but it may be a case of it not being possible to restore them good enough to release the 80's series on blu-ray.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:05 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

MrRSerling wrote:
I've recently bought the TZ BluRays and all I can say is WOW! The image is just so clear, the sound so crisp and the extras are so bountiful. I've just started season 4 and it's has been a real joy to watch. Even the weaker episodes are looking and sounding great. Not sure how much remastering was required but I've yet to see any scratches or holes in the image so I'm assuming they actually did a frame by frame cleanup. Naturally they didn't do the CBS logo at the end which I feel is a shame as it's almost skimping on the fine work. It does also give away how much work can and must have been required to clean up the detail.

I even noticed a boom mic shadow on "Showdown with Rance McGrew" when Rance runs and hides from Jesse James in the street. You see the shadow follow him as he is running. Glad they kept in such things, would be a shame to have them removed and lose something that kinda adds to the fandom.

Glad you're enjoying the set. I was also amazed at the clarity when I first got the set and started viewing. The picture quality is fantastic. Speaking of boom mic, the actual mic can be seen in "On Thursday We Leave For Home" in an early scene, at the bottom of the picture. I actually hadn't noticed it because it was low on the screen until it was pointed out during the commentary. I have gone through season by season in order since buying it and I am finally about to complete the 4th season at the end of the week with 'The Bard'. That will leave me with Season 5 to finally end this endeavor, but what a ride it's been.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

whitsbrain wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:
I've recently bought the TZ BluRays and all I can say is WOW! The image is just so clear, the sound so crisp and the extras are so bountiful.

Yeah, it is an amazing set. It's a perfect way to permanently honor TZ. Probably my favorite Blu-Ray set ever.

Co-sign.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:05 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Well, I'm now up to "The Masks" and noticed a little shoddiness creep in. A few times there are a few really bad quality transfers which may have something to do with the quality of the original film. One that stands out is when the bikers first turn up and go into the estate agents at the start of "Black Leather Jackets". Such is life I guess.

Don't tell me they won't release the 80s TZ on BluRay. There are some excellent episodes that could shine with a good clean up :(

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:31 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Rorschach wrote:
MrRSerling wrote:

You know I don't think the 80's Twilight Zone will ever come out on blu-ray, the dvd picture quality of them isn't that good, on dvd the original series is far better, I think it's to do with the state of the original elements they had to work with, but it may be a case of it not being possible to restore them good enough to release the 80's series on blu-ray.

Agreed. Night Gallery has a better shot.

...and we will never see that Outer Limits Blu-Ray set no matter how much whining I do about it.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:36 am 

MrRSerling wrote:
Well, I'm now up to "The Masks" and noticed a little shoddiness creep in. A few times there are a few really bad quality transfers which may have something to do with the quality of the original film. One that stands out is when the bikers first turn up and go into the estate agents at the start of "Black Leather Jackets". Such is life I guess.

Don't tell me they won't release the 80s TZ on BluRay. There are some excellent episodes that could shine with a good clean up :(

There are a few small "errors" on a few of the original TZ episodes.
You guys mentioned a boom mike sighting , but theres actually 3-4 of those. I remember picking up on them years back.
I only have the Definitive Editions, and I'm guessing you notice a bit more when you own the Blu-Rays.

As far as the 80's TZ, I too doubt they will ever be released.
Perhaps in a few years when "everything" is pretty much sent to Blu-Ray, or they figure out a way to do it very cost efficiently.
But realistically I am assuming the market is very small and I doubt it will ever happen.
On that note, I remember reading somewhere that the original copies of the 80's versions were pretty poor to start with. (when you see the actual episodes themselves, you can understand, they just don't look crisp, and in fact they seem pretty roughshod)
I can't remember where I read about this, and I am pretty certain it was NOT the TZ companion.
That would be a good place to start looking though, just to see if its mentioned.

I'm a big fan of the 80's versions, and remember seeing quite a few of them on their original runs, but I doubt they will ever get a solid Blu-Ray upgrade. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I read that the 80s series is being re-released but unfortunately only on DVD. I mean it seems unlikely that a Blu Ray release will happen if they're putting out another DVD version set.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:10 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Does it feel like youre watching certain episodes again for the first time on blu ray? I often have that feeling watching blu ray films because they look so clean and new...

Even for those members who have the dvds...is the quality an improvement over the VHS? I often compare the VHS to SyFy quality and its different. I know the special features is a given..but how about the quality of the tranfers used?

The reason I still own the VHS twilight zones is because I paid around 500 dollars for the whole series back in 2002, (when DVD prices for the whole series were close to $750-1000) and obviously regret that now. They have been inpossible to trade in and not worth throwing away. I even keep a VCR around if I ever decide to watch them. At the time this was the absolute best purchase price for the whole series..this is when those dvds were only 4 episodes a disc.
Knowing the whole series is on blu ray and dropping in price, its only a matter of time before I upgrade.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
Does it feel like youre watching certain episodes again for the first time on blu ray? I often have that feeling watching blu ray films because they look so clean and new...

Even for those members who have the dvds...is the quality an improvement over the VHS? I often compare the VHS to SyFy quality and its different. I know the special features is a given..but how about the quality of the tranfers used?

The reason I still own the VHS twilight zones is because I paid around 500 dollars for the whole series back in 2002, (when DVD prices for the whole series were close to $750-1000) and obviously regret that now. They have been inpossible to trade in and not worth throwing away. I even keep a VCR around if I ever decide to watch them. At the time this was the absolute best purchase price for the whole series..this is when those dvds were only 4 episodes a disc.
Knowing the whole series is on blu ray and dropping in price, its only a matter of time before I upgrade.

Now is probably the time to upgrade. I just checked Amazon and the complete series on Blu-Ray is at a ridiculously low $122.99! I haven't seen it that low ever. I thought I got it at a good price of around $180 but this price is crazy good!

Yes, I absolutely love watching most if not all of these episodes in Blu-Ray....it truly is like watching for the first time. The pristine clarity is just ultimate eye candy for such a classic show.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:42 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah. The Blu-Rays are probably my favorite set in terms of extras and how they make the old seem new again.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:59 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Just an update for anyone who does not yet own the Blu-Ray set but is considering it: Amazon is selling it for $112.99 - even better than 3 weeks ago. It's well worth that price.