Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:06 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Has anyone else heard about this? I just heard about it a few minutes ago myself, wanted to post it here for fellow TZ fans:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/09/05/twilight-zone-box-set-exclusive/15147115/

As far as I've been able to tell so far, only DVD Empire and Movies Unlimited have it available for pre-order. I imagine by next month as we get closer to the November 11 release date, we'll probably see other sites like Amazon and Deep Discount making it available for order. I'm getting this right away, since I know these run out very fast and then end up sold at jacked up prices on Ebay and Amazon by individual sellers, like what happened with last years Friday the 13th documentary, which had a limited quantity bonus disc I missed out on and had to get on Ebay last year. I've already got the new Halloween boxed set set on the way which comes out this Tuesday, the 23rd, so I'm going to order this pretty soon. I guess if you have the Blu Ray set you might not need it, as you can still get the American Masters Serling bio separately, but since I never picked up that set, I'm opting for this one.

Man, between Twilight Zone and Wonder Years, there are some great TV show boxed sets coming out at the end of this year. Anyone else ordering these? If so, I hope you're able to get yourselves copies as well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Wow, that's a pretty cool set there. I own the Blu-Ray set of the original series as well as the 80s DVD set so I won't be plunking down on this one. I would imagine that the visuals would look good but I absolutely love the crystal clarity of the Blu-Ray set. Hope you can get this set Anthony.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Yep, I've got the same stuff as Lazy so this would be a redundant purchase for me.

The set looks very cool, though. And it's great to see them show respect for the '80s version by bundling it with Rod's original classic.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:05 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Anthony wrote:
, since I know these run out very fast and then end up sold at jacked up prices on Ebay and Amazon by individual sellers, like what happened with last years Friday the 13th documentary, which had a limited quantity bonus disc I missed out on and had to get on Ebay last year. .

Dude, I was lucky enough to find that bonus disc...but it was a pain in the ass to get it. Bought it from somebody who "needed" two copies because appearently 1 isnt enough.
I hate "limited" anything when it comes to releasing films....so many miss out.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:29 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Exactly. I remember what a hard time I had getting the South Park season 2 bonus disc on Ebay years ago, which had the original version of the pilot. I hate it even more when it's only exclusive to one chain of stores or one website. They should just release stuff and not limit them, so that people can wait to purchase them if they have to.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:01 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Looks like this deluxe set is being offered through Amazon just under $200 - good deal, but again, it would be better if the original series was the Blu Ray version. Here is a note I read about why it's all just DVD:

NOTE (10/1): During the past 24 hours, the above story has generated responses from our readers which amounts to, "if this set is so prestigious, then why isn't it on Blu-ray Disc instead of DVD?" The answer is that the 1985 series (the New Twilight Zone) CANNOT be done for HD, as it was shot on 35mm film but finished on videotape, and therefore cannot be transferred to high-def Blu-ray.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Twilig ... z3F03bI5wl\

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Wow. I thought you could turn anything into HD. damn

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:57 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

lazyboyx51 wrote:
NOTE (10/1): During the past 24 hours, the above story has generated responses from our readers which amounts to, "if this set is so prestigious, then why isn't it on Blu-ray Disc instead of DVD?" The answer is that the 1985 series (the New Twilight Zone) CANNOT be done for HD, as it was shot on 35mm film but finished on videotape, and therefore cannot be transferred to high-def Blu-ray.

Lazy is right, in fact we discussed this before, though I am not entirely sure where or what thread. It may well have been near the time when the original 80's DVDs came out, and Hell, it might not have been on this board even.

The videotape "look" which leads to the extreme grainy look, is part of the charm for me.
This is also briefly mentioned in the commentary for "Nightcrawlers", how the director wanted to maintain the roughshod grainy look. Its almost like they knew it would work so well on that one in particular.
(don't quote me on that exactly, but I distinctly remember it mentioned in that commentary)

Now they most likely didn't come completely "clean" on this one.(couldn't resist the pun sorry) :twisted:
The studios can most likely clean these episodes up, at least in a limited fashion. I'm sure the technology is there, even though they might not be able to make them "truly" HD.
But the sad fact is, the market is limited, and its probably not very cost efficient, and would most definitely be an overall loss on them.
Its hard to imagine many of these 80's sets selling to be honest.

Lets face it, we as a community are more advanced compared to the general public, at least when it comes to TZ and similar shows. :ROTF:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:30 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Got my copy in the mail a few days ago. I think some of the same extras from the '80s set are on this. I have both, so I'll have to compare. I really liked that they included the original test pilot version of Where is Everybody, along with the one that aired and The Time Element episode as an extra. When I get to watch it, I'll let you know if this includes any Desi Arnaz on it.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:47 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah, it has Desi Arnaz and I watched it a second time, since it also had a commentary track. The Serling bios are great as well.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:49 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Speaking of Serling, they show a lot of clips of his scripts he wrote that were made for TV in the '50s. So, how come these aren't available on DVD in their original, live TV form, instead of just the later theatrical versions. Would be great to see the Richard Kiley Patterns.