The Four of Us are Dying 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Walking Distance 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Perchance to Dream 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
A Stop at Willoughby 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
Unread postPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:11 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

Maybe it's saying the obvious, but TWILIGHT ZONE episodes can be divided between ones with a lot of relevant things to say, and ones that are meant to be just plain entertaining (with a lot of overlapping of course).
I'm not really good at starting polls, but this might work as one, with things like the five or ten best episodes in each category, the five or ten best performances in each category, and so on.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:21 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
OK - I like where you are going, 2bit :D

Lets start at the beginning with a simple poll.
Season 1 - Social Commentary or Escapism?
Listed are 5 episodes from each category that I feel - and feel free to disagree - represent the top 5 from each category. Choose either subject topic and state your own episode or choose (1) of the 5 from either category. As always, tell us a little bit about what motivated your choice.

As for myself, Social Commentary - The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street.
Sure - everybody gets along until shite hits the fan. Then you really see who your friends are and who runs with the mob. This story is still pertinent today as it was 55 years ago.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:07 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Good idea for a thread where we can learn some of the other board member's thoughts.

Without taking the "cop out" road, its tough to really choose between the two categories.
I feel both have their place in the way we view shows and ultimately think about them.
The "social commentary" type episodes, were obviously made to make us think as viewers, and it did that very well with TZ,as we all know.
In fact, lets just go ahead and admit that within the TZ realm, BOTH type shows succeeded extremely well.

But, I tend to go for the "escapism" type episodes, but only because I like that suspension of disbelief, and that "lets ignore reality, and go away in space/time somewhere" for a bit, just a tad more. You know, lets get away from true reality for a bit.

The social commentary episodes tend to bestow a bit of responsibility on the viewer, to change the way he thinks or acts.
Or at least make him think about things.
Nothing wrong with that at all, but I just tend to go for the escapism a tiny bit more.

This is sort of like splitting hairs.... because looking back at the 2 separate categories, I like several of the episodes from both types pretty equally.
I guess thats a testament to Rod Serling and the writers, in that the could ultimately make most any type of episode pretty damn enjoyable. :dance:

(Although I am not a huge fan of a few of the more comedic type episodes.... but even they have their moments.)

I will go with ASAW just for the sake of voting, but it truly does change from time to time. I can watch most all of them and enjoy it.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:09 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
I like both Social Commentary ( SC ) and Escapism; yet, I picked Social Commentaryepisode: WIE?

[Episode SPOILERS ahead]

I like your choices, I would go so far as to say your Escapism episodes have some underlining
social commentary too. In Escape Clause, I feel the moral here is don't play with matches. In the Four of Us... perhaps the lesson is not to trick and lie to people, because it will catch up with you. In Walking Distance, the lesson I garnered was: it is fine to wax nostalgic, but its extremely better to live in the present, and appreciate it. ASAW is similar, he wanted to escape into the past, yet it did not end so well. Yet, I see how these episodes are also Escapism.

You have my favorite episode up there, that being Where is Everybody?, I love the commentary here, there are many themes in this episode: identity, being alone, paranoia, also man's desire to survive, etc... So it gets my vote for favorite SC.

However, honorable mention goes to The Monsters are Due on Maple Street. It is still relevant to this day, with whats in the news these days, people are at a high mercury temperature suspecting each other of the worst, sadly.

Other favorite Social Commentary ( SC ) episodes I like are : A Quality of Mercy, He's Alive, Death's Head Revisited, The Shelter, I am the Night..., I am sure I am missing a few , yet, I love Mr. Serling's progressive vision for society and the future. He deserves universes of praise and accolades , more than he got.

Great poll and thread, thanks.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:21 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

Should be two categories not two combined IMHO. For escapism I would have chosen Walking Distance. I picked Third from the Sun for social commentary. :|

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:11 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Best escapism episode - walking distance ..who isn't nostalgic about the past? Who wouldn't want to escape back and relive it all over again? Or even just to watch yourself.

Social commentary....people are alike all over. Because if I had the chance I'd lock tz dz fan in a cage and put a tiny sign out front saying "poker player in his natural habitat" nd deprive him from playing poker . :evil: we've all naturally had these thoughts :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:03 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I know it isn't exactly neglected on this site, but I would definitely put AND WHEN THE SKY WAS OPENED on the second list. Practically its whole job is to scare you, and it succeeds extremely well.
And (even though I'm biased about him from other things) I would list Rod Taylor as giving the best PERFORMANCE in an "escapist" episode.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 pm 

I've always thought Rod Taylor was a fantastic actor. He always would take on unusual roles and stretched himself.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Esoteric
stuff like 'Maple Street' speculates on how middle Murica would handle the apocalypse (not well apparently). IIRC there was another ep about a bomb shelter that had not room enough for everyone. (Simpsons did it and poor Ned Flanders got kicked out of his own place).