1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:39 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 34 - Cold Hands, Warm Heart

Original Air Date: September 26, 1964
Starring Cast: William Shatner, Geraldine Brooks, Lloyd Gough, Malachi Throne, and Dean Haren
Writer(s): Daniel B. Ullman
Director: Charles F. Haas

"The most brilliant planet in our solar system is Venus, named for the goddess of love. It is closer to Earth than any other planet—twenty-eight million miles away. Until sometime in the last half of the twentieth century it is still a planet shrouded in mystery, enveloped in a heavy blanket of clouds and steam. Because its surface temperature was believed to be several times that of Earth's, it was not thought possible for Man to reach Venus and come back... until one day, somebody did it."

Summary: An astronaut, returning home after orbiting Venus, suffers recurring nightmares and an increasing inability to stay warm.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:23 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
"Cold Hands, Warm Heart" is a nice story about a man saved by the love of his wife (it may also have something to do with a blood transfusion he receives). The entertainment is mostly provided by William Shatner, who grins and grimaces his way through this episode about an astronaut who travels to Venus and returns to Earth with more than the common cold. Shatner plays the part of Brig. Gen. Jefferson Barton, who heads up Project Vulcan, a program to colonize Mars. However the first step Barton takes is to Venus. Here he loses track of about 8 minutes, which we find out later in his dreams, was spent having a close encounter with a Venusian. Barton first sees the Venusian through a "porthole" on his ship, the alien floating eerily into view through the fog. If you are spoiled by 21st Century special effects, the Venusian will be a major disappointment as it is easily recognizable as a puppet on strings (yes, the strings can be seen on occasion). If you are able to excuse this, the Venusian plays a credible threat to Barton. Once Barton returns to Earth, he is unable to keep warm and experiences a number of sickly fits, finally escalating to a moment when he knocks his wife unconscious and breaks into the space agency offices where he is captured. Once controlled, Barton confronts the Venusian in his dreams while sedated. The ending is satisfying and ends on a optimistic note for Barton and his dedicated wife. "Cold Hands, Warm Heart" is a long way from a heady story, but its all textbook Shatner, which means it should be a treat for Star Trek fans and lovers of '50s science fiction.

My rating: 7 - Very Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:40 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
This is classic Shatner, suprisingly at the top of his game.
Once you "get past that", :D its an entertaining episode. I must admit, that it started off very slowly for me. But once we get to the scene where Shatner sees "the alien" , it picked up steam a bit.
Sure the effects weren't the best, and you could see the strings briefly, but the very first fade in to the alien was great IMO. Very creepy, how it slowly came in to view.

Throne is good, Brooks so-so.
But a decent story, with a fairly positive ending, and that didn't always occur here in TOL.

Just have Shatner tone it down a touch, and add a little excitement/mystery towards the beginning, and we could have had one of the great ones.
Wait a minute, if we could have had Shatner tone it down a tad, we should have done it 45 years ago, and he might have been a decent actor.

Nothing wrong with "hamming it up", a la' Richard Baseheart. But Baseheart he ain't. :P

TZ DZ Fan gives Shat and crew an average 5. If we could have eliminated the strings, then I* could have yanked it up to a 6.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:15 pm 

Not a totally Shatner-ized episode, but it's pretty damn close. Over react much, Bill - LOL. I liked the creepy alien carrot with stings and its wispy wind blown look in space. Not one of the best, but certainly one of the more creepy traditional Alien like creatures.

I tend to cut Brooks some slack because she was up against Shatner, but very clearly, there was no chemistry there.

As mentioned, it's a TOL with a happy ending - and Bill didn't even have to tip extra for it - or maybe he did. An Outer Limits that ends on a high note is a true rarity, so for that and a general character study, it's worth while.

6!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:53 pm 
Five

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:12 pm 
Not the season's worst (for that see "Expanding Human", "Behold, Eck!" or "Brain of Colonel Barham"), but close to the bottom.

Of interest to Shatner fans.

A generous two . . .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:38 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Yikes! A 2 Mr. Trent!? Gee whiz golly......
Well, anyway, I love Shatner, and for all the detractors that go on and on about his hamming it up, I think his style works. I must be in the minority in that I love all his Sci-Fi stuff( and the current Denny Crane hit Boston Legal), but not so much in the minority as he has been a steady commodity since the 1950's and he keeps reinventing himself. So, gotta give him credit, and that being said, this episode is for people like me who love "The Shat". I love the Alien as well and very creepy until my son hollered out, "look at the strings...." ah well, everyone is so spoiled with the latest technologies.....a lot of these old shows one must really put aside all sense of reality and if one can do that then this is an enjoyable one that doesn't rely on too much alien as the true TOL classics do. I give this a 7 for Shatner and company, which includes James B. Sikking, Throne, Lawrence Montaigne, and Geraldine Brooks who was in the previous season classic The Architects of Fear, where she really was just another typical stand-by-your-man wife role with Culp. Although I think she is effective in both episodes in what she was asked to do.

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:04 pm 
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Yikes! A 2 Mr. Trent!? Gee whiz golly......
Well, anyway, I love Shatner, and for all the detractors that go on and on about his hamming it up, I think his style works. I must be in the minority in that I love all his Sci-Fi stuff( and the current Denny Crane hit Boston Legal), but not so much in the minority as he has been a steady commodity since the 1950's and he keeps reinventing himself. So, gotta give him credit, and that being said, this episode is for people like me who love "The Shat". I love the Alien as well and very creepy until my son hollered out, "look at the strings...." ah well, everyone is so spoiled with the latest technologies.....a lot of these old shows one must really put aside all sense of reality and if one can do that then this is an enjoyable one that doesn't rely on too much alien as the true TOL classics do. I give this a 7 for Shatner and company, which includes James B. Sikking, Throne, Lawrence Montaigne, and Geraldine Brooks who was in the previous season classic The Architects of Fear, where she really was just another typical stand-by-your-man wife role with Culp. Although I think she is effective in both episodes in what she was asked to do.

See, I told you it was of interest to Shatner fans . . .

Actually, I like Shatner in a number of things. STAR TREK, TWILIGHT ZONE and the Daystar movie, INCUBUS (a spin-off from OL's production company - everyone familiar with that one?).

Apart from good old Bill, there isn't much going for this show. It's painfully slow and unexciting.

As for the creature . . . reminds me of a carrot. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:36 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
true enough, true enough, but that is why I enjoyed it because of him and I did like the alien once I got past the strings that one time. I thought it was freaky looking....
Yes, Incubus was done by several of the creative forces behind TOL and even had TOL alumni Allyson Ames (who was in a poll here awhile back). I had forgotten that one and now I want to see it! I will have to see if it is on DVD......

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:56 am 
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
true enough, true enough, but that is why I enjoyed it because of him and I did like the alien once I got past the strings that one time. I thought it was freaky looking....
Yes, Incubus was done by several of the creative forces behind TOL and even had TOL alumni Allyson Ames (who was in a poll here awhile back). I had forgotten that one and now I want to see it! I will have to see if it is on DVD......

INCUBUS is on DVD . . . maybe a search of Ebay will land you a copy.

The movie's pretentiously arty . . . but Connie Hall's Cinematography is exquisite, complemented by Dominic Frontierre's music score. Highly recommended.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:12 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

I dont know how it is in your neighborhoods, but William Shatner's character would have probably found Atlanta too warm for his tastes. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:32 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

People make fun of Geraldine Brooks' theatrical moments in this one (as opposed to "Architects"), but she had at least one very believable moment, and that's when she was fussing over him and he compared her to his mother. The slightly ticked-off reaction she gave was pretty entertaining.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:57 pm 

Well, you just gotta cut Geraldine some slack in this episode. She was up against, Shatner - the master scene stealer. You have to try to play in snyc with your acting partner and she did.

With Culp in AoF, there was a different level of intensity Culp possessed and she played tighter to his style.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:15 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

People are always mentioning which episodes remind them of Twilight Zone more than others, and somehow this one always has a Twilight Zone feel to it for me. Maybe that's because it kind of resembles "And When The Skies Were Opened," since the weird things don't start happening till the astronaut is back on earth.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:49 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

You're right, Two-Bit. It seems like it could have been one of the Season Four hour long TZs.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:18 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I can't remember this one. It's probably because I didn't have the heart to continue watching the series after around a few episodes or so, and even after resorting to a review of episodes to see what rated highly. It reminds me of my viewing experiences of X-Files, Combat, and esp. Land of the Giants, where only a few episodes were worth viewing.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:51 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I saw it this week for the first time in a long while, and I think it works a lot better than it's given credit for. Along with Shatner and Brooks, the actors in the smaller roles manage to make them very interesting, like Malachi Throne as the doctor who's a family friend, and also the actor who plays the space program's doctor (I can't think of his name).

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

You can't really miss with Shatner.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:29 pm 

Unread postPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:47 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

One funny thing about this episode is that in that early scene, Shatner and Brooks have about the most dramatic kiss of any couple in any episode. When you hear how anxious she was for him to get back to earth, you definitely believe it at that moment. (That kiss should've been "hot" enough to solve Jeff's problem then and there.)

Unread postPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:51 pm 

First saw this as a child of the 60's. I could usually do the suspension of disbelief but this "bear" was just a little too much to swallow, I'm afraid. I gave it a four for the lack of effort on the art department. :roll: