Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Just an update: Not sure what happened with my DVR but for some reason it did not record episodes 2-6 (Defiance). That just burns my ass. :| :x

Just so you know......... I went back and reviewed the pilot last night also.
I did enjoy it, but I had pretty much forgotten how "hokey" a few of the battle scenes were. Not awful, but the special effects were lacking a bit.
Trust me, it does get better dude.

I have a site online where you can stream the episodes, if it ever comes to that. Just let me know.

But the good news is you still have plenty of time to catch up...............AND if you already enjoyed the pilot its only going to get better once the show starts to roll , so I'm assuming you will get hooked.

If you don't come up with another scenario to view the episodes, let me know and maybe I can help.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:44 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
DVRs that cut off programming is such a pain. Sorry Lazy

1. art mann presents (axs tv)
2.red green show (public acess)
3. rick and morty (cartoon network)
4. mountain men (history channel)
5. ___

Ive been watching more movies then shows lately. Im looking forward to the new seasons of

Under the Dome
Falling Skies

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:38 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I watched the first episode of CNN's "The Sixties" multi-part documentary and was unimpressed. Having lived through the decade before I reached legal drinking age, I was glad I had a Greyhound in hand as this shallow ratings grabber unfolded.

Eternal NICE GUY Tom Hanks, who manages to make Somali terrorist/pirates seem somehow fuzzy doesn't narrate. No one does. Aging entertainers for the most part comment while tiny clips of their own shows flash by.

If you were born too late to remember the 1960s--let alone if you were born in 1990, say--forget any understanding of these free floating TV clips. If you were an adult in 1960, say, you wind up filling in all the blanks in your mind during the program.

The Smothers Brothers were against the war in Vietnam. A brief clip is shown wherein Tommy says, "Okay, come on home," to US soldiers after his brother says the government is trying to discourage overseas travel. A New York Times reporter was fighting prison at the time for going overseas to interview U.S. "enemies." Is this context given? No.

Ed Sullivan is cited as a kind of anti-Dick Cavet. Sullivan is depicted as a conduit for people to become famous. His reactionary Right Wing newspaper pieces and censorship of The Doors is not mentioned. And Dick Cavet? Oh, yeah, he got interviews with some pop stars and a bunch of writers. What were they singing and writing about at the time? The viewer is never told!

Carol Burnett and The Flying Nun are given lotsa time to balance out the real lack of women on or behind the camera in positions of power on 1960s TV, as is Bill Cosby for "I Spy," and a clip of "Julia" which starred a single black mom, a one season wonder. Not discussed was the lack of women and blacks and other religions and lifestyles.

The Prisoner is shown in a discussion of how color TV became mainstream (The Villagers' unbrellas are shown!). Twilight Zone is correctly cited as a Rod Serling dodge against censorship and not a word is spoken about Outer Limits, or how OL episodes were censored by ABC affiliates.

The space program, including Project Apollo, is a 5 second spot as is the deaths of JFK, RFK, MLK and their cohorts; Vietman and LBJ are out to lunch as we are treated to Gilligan's Island, extensive Leave It To Beaver and other sequences.

There was a lot of Laugh In and Dean Martin.

Why not mix a greyhound ala Dean and yuk it up with CNN?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:29 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Just an update: Not sure what happened with my DVR but for some reason it did not record episodes 2-6 (Defiance). That just burns my ass. :| :x

Just so you know......... I went back and reviewed the pilot last night also.
I did enjoy it, but I had pretty much forgotten how "hokey" a few of the battle scenes were. Not awful, but the special effects were lacking a bit.
Trust me, it does get better dude.

I have a site online where you can stream the episodes, if it ever comes to that. Just let me know.

But the good news is you still have plenty of time to catch up...............AND if you already enjoyed the pilot its only going to get better once the show starts to roll , so I'm assuming you will get hooked.

If you don't come up with another scenario to view the episodes, let me know and maybe I can help.

TZ DZ fan

Figured out why all episodes weren't recording - DVR was set up to only keep up to 5 episodes. Not sure why that was the case but I changed that setting and have been recording the replay of the entire season 1 of Defiance from yesterday and today. Will try watching it when I get a chance.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Figured out why all episodes weren't recording - DVR was set up to only keep up to 5 episodes. Not sure why that was the case but I changed that setting and have been recording the replay of the entire season 1 of Defiance from yesterday and today. Will try watching it when I get a chance.

Great news............

Keep me posted on what you think after you get a few episodes under your belt.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:59 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

A quick note (or two) as I'm watching Defiance: I recognized a few other actors in this (besides the ones I mentioned in an earlier post) but couldn't put my finger on them - the Tarrs, Datak and Stahma. Checked IMDB and found Datak, played by Tony Curran, I have seen in the mini-series Pillars of the Earth, which was very well done, and he was excellent in it. Stahma, played by Jaime Murray, is also a Dexter alum (season 2). Also, the former mayor Nicky, played by Fionnula Flanagan - she's an alum of Lost. Finally Sukar, played by Noah Danby, had a role in the first season of Bitten, also a SyFy show.

Also, really liked the cover of Nirvana's Come As You Are at the end of episode 2 - the band is Civil Twilight.

Link

I am really enjoying the show so far. I wonder if the title of the 3rd episode The Devil in the Dark was any sort of homage to Star Trek - just seemed like the "monster" in the episode seemed like a newer CG version of the ST monster.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:01 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
A quick note (or two) as I'm watching Defiance:

I am really enjoying the show so far. I wonder if the title of the 3rd episode The Devil in the Dark was any sort of homage to Star Trek - just seemed like the "monster" in the episode seemed like a newer CG version of the ST monster.

Good to hear, and I was almost certain you would like this one, judging from your past likes and dislikes.
It has a few "Carnivale-ish" type elements, but yet its more futuristic. So I guessed you were going to like it.

Another note, and I may have mentioned it before.

A series of 5 web based webisodes/minisodes were released not too long back.
They aren't terribly long, in fact they range from about 4 minutes, to like 6 or so.
So you can watch them all at one crack, in about a half hour or so.
But they should NOT be watched until Season 1 is finished, they were meant to sort of follow some events that happened in the season finale.
Not only that, there is some back story in these too, and without giving too much away, you see how 2 main characters originally meet.
This worked really nicely.
Once you finish the season, hopefully you can sneak these in before the new season starts, which is later this week~!

They are on the Defiance official site, and at one time they were on Youtube and in various places around the web.

Let me know how the season is progressing!

By the way, there are are some other instances of decent music and cues used here and there.
Chalk it up to more good work from Bear McCreary...... who has worked on high profile projects you know like Defiance, Battlestar Galactica, The Walking Dead and many others.

I will most likely go back and watch the last 1-2 episodes of season 1 in "preparation" for the new season.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:04 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Oh Bear does the cues here? He's got quality stuff for current shows. Nice to hear.

I am enjoying binge-watching this show. I truly look forward to having the free time to watch it. Just finishing up the 6th episode, can't wait for more. Yes, I'll be DVRing the season 2 premier Thursday night.

Full of prejudice and bias, political corruption all wrapped up in a science fiction piece involving multiple species. Very good cast, they're very inviting for me to want to come back and watch. Did I tell you I enjoy watching Mia Kirshner in just about anything she does?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Just picked up Fargo, and I must say it's quite good. Plays off the Coen Brothers' movie as a dark humor crime thriller in a small town, almost like a current version of Twin Peaks, which I love. Billy Bob Thornton is very good as the mysterious drifter who will kill at will. He delivers lines perfectly, making me laugh out loud at the quirky dark humor. Also has Martin Freeman as a nervous, meek insurance salesman who enlists Billy Bob's services almost involuntarily.
[.

A FARGO tv show?!? Wow

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:25 pm 

Fargo is like 3-5 episodes in already.
I haven't seen it though, doesn't quite sound like my cup of tea, but not far off I suppose.

Right now its......................

Defiance
Falling Skies
Masterchef Australia

Impatiently waiting for "The Walking Dead, and The Block AU".

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Just picked up Fargo, and I must say it's quite good. Plays off the Coen Brothers' movie as a dark humor crime thriller in a small town, almost like a current version of Twin Peaks, which I love. Billy Bob Thornton is very good as the mysterious drifter who will kill at will. He delivers lines perfectly, making me laugh out loud at the quirky dark humor. Also has Martin Freeman as a nervous, meek insurance salesman who enlists Billy Bob's services almost involuntarily.
[.

A FARGO tv show?!? Wow

Fargo just wrapped up - season finale was this past week. Dude, it's worth the watch, quite awesome actually.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:37 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

1. Penny Dreadful
2. Defiance
3. Falling Skies (starts in 2 days)
4. True Blood (final season starts in 2 days)

Ray Donovan and Masters of Sex will start up in July. Under the Dome starts in another week or two.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:54 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Penny Dreadful
Orphan Black

Waiting for Doctor Who

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 am 

Hey there DrM.
Hope all is well......and maybe you can stick your head in here a bit more soon.

Current updated list for me...

Masterchef Australia
Defiance
Dominion*
Falling Skies

Soon "Under the Dome" starts again, and already there is a "promo" episode to kick off the new series online.

Note I put a star beside "Dominion".
I mentioned this show a while back in a few posts, where I also mentioned the future SYFY project "The Expanse".
Well "Dominion" kicked off last week, and I had put off watching the pilot, not knowing what to expect.
I will only say this....... it was the best pilot I can ever remember seeing, at least I stayed captivated throughout and just didn't want it to end.
Normally I am not so big on pilots and premieres and it takes a while for me to "warm up" to the characters etc.
But this one is really strong, and it certainly ticks alot of boxes for me, and truthfully it should be a very popular show on this board in short order.
It is right in a few members "wheelhouses" and I strongly urge anyone who has not seen this one yet, to give it a chance.

I just hope it doesn't drastically deteriorate as the season goes along, and I just don't see it happening.

Link

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Soon "Under the Dome" starts again, and already there is a "promo" episode to kick off the new series online.

TZ DZ fan

?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:07 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

TZ DZ fan

?

Under the Dome – Season 2 Special "Inside Chesters Mill" -
Highlights from Season 1 and a sneak peek at what lies ahead for the residents of Chester’s Mill in Season 2. Also: interviews with cast members and executive producers.

I am pretty sure this one hour special has already aired on CBS on June 23rd at 10:00 pm.
For what its worth, I have NOT seen it, but I might watch it tonight.
Looks to be a basic season one "recap" with some interviews tossed in and a sneak peak at season 2 and whats in store for the town.

If interested, here is a page with over 100 links.

http://videobull.to/under-the-dome-seas ... ters-mill/

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

1. Penny Dreadful (ending tomorrow)
2. True Blood
3. Falling Skies
4. Under the Dome (returns Monday)
5. Defiance
6. Dominion

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:43 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
3. Falling Skies
4. Under the Dome (returns Monday)
5. Defiance
6. Dominion

Looks like we are lining up almost exactly this year when it comes to sci-fi. :clap:

Penny Dreadful doesn't look like my cup of tea , and I've heard some awful reviews.
True Blood continues to get high praise around the web, but I don't quite know if I even want to get started on that one, I may give it a chance some day.

You get the PM I sent you a few days back Lazy???

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:28 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I love Penny Dreadful -- it's most likely not your thing, but that's because it's horror. I love it because it's old school; it has the Victorian ambience of a classic horror story and it's filled with classic horror characters: Dr. Frankenstein, Van Helsing, Dorian Gray, mention of Jack the Ripper. It's got vampires, demonic possession and just the right amount of gore. The cool thing is it's only 8 episodes for the first season. It did well enough to get picked up for a second season and extended to 10 episodes. Not sure what reviews you read, but sounds like the writers of those review are the ones who are awful.

Yes, I got your PM. Still mulling it over; waiting on my brother's input as well.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:09 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I love Penny Dreadful .............. Not sure what reviews you read, but sounds like the writers of those review are the ones who are awful.

Yes, I got your PM. Still mulling it over; waiting on my brother's input as well.

Fellow board member Rorschach said it has let him down a bit.
I think a fair amount of it is the "gay interaction" that is supposedly taking place, but he may want to expand on that a bit more.

I know he had massive expectations beforehand, much like I tend to get on certain things and possibly it just let him down a bit.

Fantasy Football - You HAVE to come back into our league and represent again dude. :dance:
Here's looking forward to punishing you again in that league. ;)

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:37 pm 

Penny Dreadful may be a little too cerebral for most of today's - "I need the story spoon fed to me" - viewers.

As for the gay element, it happens at the end of "1" episode for less than 30 seconds, with Dorian Gray's character. A character written by Oscar Wilde mind you. A character who can not say "no" to anything.

Most of the bad reviews I read were by those who didn't get it or thought the American adaption of "Life on Mars" was superior to the BBC version and American Horror Story wouldn't last a season - nuff said.

The vampires are not your traditional Lugosi-esque, Frankenstein has more demons than just his creature to deal with and his creature is the articulate version not Karloff's lumbering hulk. The beauty of the writing - John Logan,: Gladiator, Skyfall, Sweeny Todd, by the way - is he isn't afraid to take chances with the characters nor let the viewer get too comfortable. (2) characters introduced and built upon are already dead. Being that they are all based on 19th century tales, you know the turns the tales are going to take but the journey and telling is just so much fun.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:25 pm 

DrMoreau wrote:
Penny Dreadful may be a little too cerebral for most of today's - "I need the story spoon fed to me" - viewers.

As for the gay element, it happens at the end of "1" episode for less than 30 seconds, with Dorian Gray's character. A character written by Oscar Wilde mind you. A character who can not say "no" to anything.

Most of the bad reviews I read were by those who didn't get it or thought the American adaption of "Life on Mars" was superior to the BBC version and American Horror Story wouldn't last a season - nuff said.

The vampires are not your traditional Lugosi-esque, Frankenstein has more demons than just his creature to deal with and his creature is the articulate version not Karloff's lumbering hulk. The beauty of the writing - John Logan,: Gladiator, Skyfall, Sweeny Todd, by the way - is he isn't afraid to take chances with the characters nor let the viewer get too comfortable. (2) characters introduced and built upon are already dead. Being that they are all based on 19th century tales, you know the turns the tales are going to take but the journey and telling is just so much fun.

Again, I'm just going on what I have read in a couple of items. (which I don't really believe in most cases anyway, I prefer to make my own judgements as you guys already know)
Even though its not typically what I might choose, the mere fact that several board members here can dig it and recommend it , makes me much more inclined to give it a whirl than otherwise.

So Penny Dreadful may be something I look into at some point, but I simply have so much stuff on my plate now, I would have to wait until the season slows......in the colder months.
So many things that I like to watch just appeared back out of the blue recently that I had largely forgotten about......(Falling Skies, and a couple others), and now "Dominion" has taken me by surprise too.
Thats another that is typically far from my wheelhouse, but for some reason I have really gotten into it.

I won't say I "absolutely won't" like Penny Dreadful, its just more on the fringes of what my normal interests are.
So I will more than likely give it a chance, but it may be awhile yet.

You know, long before "Penny Dreadful" started, I thought it might be one of those shows that never really stood a chance.
Mostly for the reasons you are alluding to, about not "being spoon fed" a story. Also even more so that its just so far out of todays popular viewing habits.
I suppose the popularity of the "monster-ish" shows now, starting back with True Blood, Walking Dead, and a host of others might be slowly changing what is accepted as "normal", but mostly I think these shows don't have a chance. (I speak of the newer shows premiering and trying to get a big following etc)

Rorschach may well pipe up here when he sees this.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:26 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

DrMoreau wrote:

:clap:
Glad to see you back Dr. M! Well-written review in support of the show, I knew I could count on you. :D

BTW, TZ DZ, I hope you know I wasn't getting on you with my response post. I am like you regarding critics, I need to see for myself to formulate my own opinion. But yeah with the gay section, like Dr. Moreau mentioned, it was only the one scene at the end of an episode. I admit it shocked the hell out of me cuz I wasn't expecting it, particularly from Josh Hartnett's character (that was out of left field), but the Dorian Gray character who fascinates me in this show, isn't as surprising as Dr. M mentions. Dr. Frankenstein is dealing with his own personal demons, including his original creation (though I do miss Proteus). Ok now I'm rambling; but I just wanted you to know there was no acid being spewed at you.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:41 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
I love Penny Dreadful .............. Not sure what reviews you read, but sounds like the writers of those review are the ones who are awful.

Fellow board member Rorschach said it has let him down a bit.
I think a fair amount of it is the "gay interaction" that is supposedly taking place, but he may want to expand on that a bit more.

I know he had massive expectations beforehand, much like I tend to get on certain things and possibly it just let him down a bit.

Fantasy Football - You HAVE to come back into our league and represent again dude. :dance:
Here's looking forward to punishing you again in that league. ;)

TZ DZ fan

Yeah need to hear from Rorschach because he and I typically have similar tastes, especially when it comes to classic horror tales.

Haha I know, most likely we will return, just getting a couple things straightened out before I fully commit. FYI Sunday August 31 is not only my wedding anniversary but my wife and I are attending a wedding that day so don't dare have the live draft that day!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:45 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Ive heard good things from people about Penny Dreadful. Not to mention Showtime hyped and advertised the hell out of it before the premiere.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:23 pm 

HARD KNOCKS
THE BLOCK (AU)
FALLING SKIES
DOMINION
DEFIANCE

What TZ DZ Fan is NOT currently watching-

Under The Dome :dance:

Jokes aside, I didn't quite finish last weeks ep.
Its really went downhill, so if I ever go back to it, it will have to be in a very slow season like Christmastime.

On a brighter note, some new series should be starting soon.
I may give "The Leftovers" a look soon too.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:59 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

More than 5....

Under The Dome
Defiance
Dominion
True Blood
Ray Donovan
Masters of Sex
Falling Skies
The Strain

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:57 am 

Well Lazy, what is your opinion on the "finale" of DOMINION?.

I just watched it a bit ago after coming in from a poker game.
Actually, to be fair I watched half of it last night, then I watched the last bit tonight.

I won't say anything yet , in case you haven't had a chance to see it so far.

Also - there is talk of another season, but I haven't seen any "proof" of this yet. Not that I have done any real digging on it though.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:00 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I thought the finale was good; I actually enjoyed it, but again, not to the same extent that I enjoy Defiance. A nice 2-hour wrap-up for the short 8-episode first season....looks like it would make for an intriguing second season.

Spoiler

Wouldn't have guessed the show would do a 180 on Michael's character.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:22 pm 

Lazy, I don't like to edit people's posts, but I went in and added a spoiler tag.....just to keep anyone from possibly stumbling over an interesting turn in the finale.
I hope you don't mind. :D

On that note -
Dominion spoiler ahead -->

Spoiler

I don't know it was so much of a turn, but more of a "loss of control". Then it all of a sudden dawned on him after the damage had been done. Also- to me, it doesn't look like he is dead (or will die), so we likely haven't seen the last of Michael.

I don't enjoy it as much as "Defiance" either.
After episodes 1 and 2 I thought it might be even better to be honest, but the show seems to have went the more "heady power struggle between families" way, and the action wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for. Thats my best way to describe it.

Awesome you mentioned "Defiance" though, I have saved this week's episode for this evening, and I will see it shortly.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:57 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Lazy, I don't like to edit people's posts, but I went in and added a spoiler tag.....just to keep anyone from possibly stumbling over an interesting turn in the finale.
I hope you don't mind. :D

On that note -
Dominion spoiler ahead -->

Spoiler

I don't know it was so much of a turn, but more of a "loss of control". Then it all of a sudden dawned on him after the damage had been done. Also- to me, it doesn't look like he is dead (or will die), so we likely haven't seen the last of Michael.

I don't enjoy it as much as "Defiance" either.
After episodes 1 and 2 I thought it might be even better to be honest, but the show seems to have went the more "heady power struggle between families" way, and the action wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for. Thats my best way to describe it.

Awesome you mentioned "Defiance" though, I have saved this week's episode for this evening, and I will see it shortly.

TZ DZ fan

Don't mind the post edit at all.

Spoiler

Well yeah I used "turn" or "180" because for his character it was a direction I didn't expect them to go in. Offering up a small plot regarding his past, explained why his character was the opposite of what we have seen; I wasn't expecting it.

I enjoyed Defiance, maybe not as much as some other episodes but I'm happy with one result. Enjoy the episode!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Summer shows ending, fall shows beginning.....way too many going on right now:

1. Ray Donovan
2. Masters of Sex
3. Boardwalk Empire
4. The Strain
5. Gotham
6. Sleepy Hollow
7. Under The Dome
8. Person of Interest
9. The League

This doesn't take into account what will begin next month.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:35 am 

I have way too many going on here, and mostly the ones I'm currently into aren't my "favorites" per se'.

Z NATION
- Is about the only decent SCI-FI going now. Its not great, but it did get alot better in the last episode.
Still absolutely pales in comparison to Walking Dead though. (I was going to bump it up in the other thread, but I will just mention it here)

I still need to get on board with "The Strain". Haven't had a chance to give it a shot yet.
I've heard some conflicting reports, and sadly you guys haven't said much about it so far to help clue me in. Not that I've seen anyway.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:57 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yeah I don't think I've posted about it (The Strain) -- I'm enjoying it. It's a decent horror/sci-fi combo - contagion causing vampirism.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:53 pm 

Doctor Who
The Intruders
The Knick
Boardwalk Empire
and coming soon ...

Link

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:13 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Can't wait for the Freakshow!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm 

Walking Dead
Z Nation
NFL Football (for fantasy implications only) :dance:
Homeland
The Biggest Loser

A very glaring lack of sci-fi at this point. :(
The new SYFY series "Ascension" seems to have been put off, and is slated to air later than expected. It starts in December.
I am keeping my expectations low for that one, the previews seem to be missing that "certain something", but I guess I won't really know until it starts.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:38 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Gotham
Sleepy Hollow
Person of Interest
American Horror Story
The League
Boardwalk Empire
The Walking Dead

The 100 starts up again tomorrow. I am well behind on some series - just too much, not enough time. Plus trying to get some horror flicks and reading in. I'm having a Henry Bemis moment....

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:32 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:

The 100 starts up again tomorrow. I'm having a Henry Bemis moment....

Thank you for letting me know about this Henry. :ROTF:

I had forgotten this was coming back on soon.
It wasn't exactly my favorite show (it was pretty enjoyable though), but it will definitely help fill a little of that "sci-fi void" I currently have going on.

Looking forward to it.
On that note, I have waited on Walking Dead yet one more night. (I may have mentioned this in the WD thread)
I will probably tear into it tonight. :twisted:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:13 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Not much TV show watching over the past few months but heres the last few ones

1.UNDER THE DOME (AXED!)
2.THE SIMPSONS (Caught the Every Simpsons Ever Marathon back in the summer on FXX)
3.THE LAST SHIP (Finished)
4.ZNATION (Recording)
5.GOTHAM (Recording)

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:39 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

1. Person of Interest
2. The 100
3. American Horror Story - Freakshow
4. Orange is the New Black
5. House of Cards
6. Ascension (3-night event on SyFy)

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:51 am 

Homeland- Just finished the season. The season was good, the finale, not so much. :ROTF:
The 100- A pleasant surprise this one turned out to be last year. Pretty good, and also now over for the season.
Top Chef- I watch this most seasons, not my favorite, but I do watch it.

Stargate:Atlantis- Seriously craving a space opera, this is about the closest I could find, that I haven't already seen.
I mention this one, since I think its going to be eating up a lot of my viewing soon.
Truthfully, I have tried it several times, and I just never liked it enough to keep going. I never made it past episode 2.
I wasn't a fan of David Hewlett much, especially in the first couple of episodes.

I have bitched here before several times, that most "pilot episodes" don't do much for me, and thats likely a reason I gave up on this one.
I "skipped" forward a few episodes, and picked it up on episode 5..... after reading episode descriptions and trying to find one I might enjoy. It was decent.
I will probably keep going and watch it through.

I'm in a very slow season TV wise, simply put I'm between a bunch of my favorites.
This "Stargate:Atlantis" should fill the gap nicely.

"Walking Dead" cranks back up in early February, and 1 or 2 of my aussie favorites begin somewhere around then also.

Can't wait till "The Expanse" and "Childhood's End" are set to go!

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:11 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I believe The 100 will be returning in January but yes, done for the fall 2014 season.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:14 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
I believe The 100 will be returning in January but yes, done for the fall 2014 season.

Just a reminder, "THE 100" cranked up again tonight.

I looked around in a couple of the other threads, but didn't see exactly what I was looking for.
This thread is probably as good as any.

The current lack of decent sci-fi will probably nudge me into watching this online later on this evening. :dance:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yes, I caught its return. Still pretty good to watch; I've been enjoying it.

I watch Helix (season 2) and 12 Monkeys (only the pilot has aired thus far; episode 2 is tomorrow night) to get my sci-fi fix.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

1. Gotham
2. Sleepy Hollow
3. Person of Interest
4. The 100
5. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
6. Helix
7. 12 Monkeys

American Horror Story Freakshow just had it's finale last night.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:54 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

1. Gotham (was on hiatus the past month - coming back for final 4 episodes of the season Monday)
2. The Following
3. Turn (returns for second season Monday)
4. Person of Interest
5. Bitten (returns for second season Friday)
6. Game of Thrones (returns tomorrow night)
7. Breaking Bad (yes, finally took the plunge; currently in the 3rd season)
8. House of Cards (currently in the middle of 3rd season)

Just finished Helix and 12 Monkeys.

And I wonder why my reading has slacked off....

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:54 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Thoughts?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Thoughts?

Very good show; great cast; very well-written. It has become a viewing addiction in a way, even to the point that my wife is requesting at times. I will say that I don't quite get "the best show on television ever" opinion. I have a larger affinity for Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead - those shows I absolutely can't wait for the next episode or the next season. Breaking Bad....although we watch 2-3 episodes at a clip, I don't have the "need" to watch like I do with those other shows. Nevertheless, I am thoroughly enjoying the show. Absolutely love the Walter-Jesse dynamic.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:59 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Very good show; great cast; very well-written. It has become a viewing addiction in a way, even to the point that my wife is requesting at times. I will say that I don't quite get "the best show on television ever" opinion. I have a larger affinity for Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead - those shows I absolutely can't wait for the next episode or the next season. Breaking Bad....although we watch 2-3 episodes at a clip, I don't have the "need" to watch like I do with those other shows. Nevertheless, I am thoroughly enjoying the show. Absolutely love the Walter-Jesse dynamic.

It is one of the best shows I have ever seen honestly.
I would say top 10-ish or so.

But its on a different level. I certainly don't look at it in the same light as many sci fi shows, they seem to be more of what I go for.

BUT- I think you will quickly see it does indeed reach "must-see" status, as it gets into the last couple of seasons.
The 3rd season to me, was sort of the "calm before the storm" in many ways.
It sort of hit a bit of a lull somewhere in there, and you may be at the same point as to where I thought that.
One thing is for sure, the last season or two, they were just epic.
The last season is really something, they way it all unfolds.
I look forward to your thoughts on it once it gets to the end.

TZ DZ fan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next