Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:59 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Question for any of you here............

Did anyone see the "debut" of Conan tonight? (on "The Tonight Show")

I doubt many of you here actually watch this type of programming, but once in awhile I tune in.

So by any off chance did anyone check out his first show?

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I am a big fan of late night. The only problem being I tend to forget its on or don't have time to watch. I did get to view it halfway through last night. That being said, I was really disappointed that I missed the opening dialogue for such an historic show. Thank god for youtube. Standing ovation for the redhead.....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYDRt_m8Q3M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vYDRt_m8Q3M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Late Night with Conan was one hell of a funny show, and now that he is on The Tonight Show this is great. Even Andy Richter came back. Will Farrell was pretty funny as the first guest and did a great song. The look of the set has that retro feeling like before Leno took over. Supposedly Conan is going to tone it down...less weird jokes like Late Night. I don't mind that Jimmy Fallon has taken over Late night, they have the ROOTS as the band and the skits are just as funny as ever. I was hesitant at first but Fallon is really coming into his own.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:04 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ye9JT8mYUzc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ye9JT8mYUzc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:24 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I don't watch either of these guys anyway, they cut into my Adult Swim time, so the stepping down/passing the torch has little interest for me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:02 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
To be direct and to-the-point:

Hell No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:evil:

Cannot stand either one of them, think the switch is a huge mistake myself.....Conan is just a cold wet noodle, IMHO....
I guess some like him though, ala SVB, for one!

My first and last late night guy was the one I grew up watching and that was the King, Johnny Carson.....

although I have warmed up to Letterman......

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:49 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
StillValleyBard wrote:
I am a big fan of late night. The only problem being I tend to forget its on or don't have time to watch. I did get to view it halfway through last night. That being said, I was really disappointed that I missed the opening dialogue for such an historic show. Thank god for youtube. Standing ovation for the redhead.....

Late Night with Conan was one hell of a funny show, and now that he is on The Tonight Show this is great. Even Andy Richter came back. Will Farrell was pretty funny as the first guest and did a great song. The look of the set has that retro feeling like before Leno took over. Supposedly Conan is going to tone it down...less weird jokes like Late Night. I don't mind that Jimmy Fallon has taken over Late night, they have the ROOTS as the band and the skits are just as funny as ever. I was hesitant at first but Fallon is really coming into his own.

I grew up with Conan so it's cool to see him take over for Leno. I can recall being in high school bullshitting about Conan's shows while we ran Central Park (that, and Seinfeld). I, too, noticed the "retro-effect" with the curtains/entrance which I also like. I remember watching the first couple of Jimmy Fallon shows after he took over for Conan, and man it was bad. But I agree, he has gotten better, and yeah the Roots kick ass. I only saw the interview portion from Conan's premier so it stinks that I missed his monologue too, but I caught it last night. Good luck Conan!

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:45 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

No matter the reviews of Conan's debut, I will always have a soft spot for this guy. When I was up to see my family up in NJ a few years back, we scored tickets to his Late Night Show and went to the NBC building to watch the taping. By sheer luck and God's willing touch, we ended up in the front row near the one and only entry points to the stage. Before the show started, Conan came out and immediately stuck his hand out for me to shake. My mother told him, "Aw, he really wanted a hug from you, Conan.: To which Conan replied, "A hug?" as he turned to size me up and opened his arms accordingly. I stood and hugged the man! He was a really good sport about everything and truly a man of the people. Good luck in "prime time", Conan.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:24 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I will admit that I enjoy the Jimmy Fallon show, but Jimmy Fallon has a long way to go. He is way to humble but he seems eager to learn the trade of late night talk shows. Plus everyone forgets how funny he was on SNL.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:45 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
NYR94 wrote:
No matter the reviews of Conan's debut, I will always have a soft spot for this guy. When I was up to see my family up in NJ a few years back, we scored tickets to his Late Night Show and went to the NBC building to watch the taping. By sheer luck and God's willing touch, we ended up in the front row near the one and only entry points to the stage. Before the show started, Conan came out and immediately stuck his hand out for me to shake. My mother told him, "Aw, he really wanted a hug from you, Conan.: To which Conan replied, "A hug?" as he turned to size me up and opened his arms accordingly. I stood and hugged the man! He was a really good sport about everything and truly a man of the people. Good luck in "prime time", Conan.

Hey! Now I like that story NYR94!! It shows another side of you!!

I think this ranks as PTE story of the month folks!!!! :clap:

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:24 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

DrMoreau wrote:
I don't watch either of these guys anyway, they cut into my Adult Swim time, so the stepping down/passing the torch has little interest for me.

Adult Swim is great. I have been into Adult Swim for close to 5 years now, even though I know it has been on for longer. I don't have cable at the moment but it feels like alot of friends that I hang out with tend to have this channel on from 10pm to 3am....regardless of the situation. You don't even have to be watching AS....It just kind of plays in the background. Adult Swim is great but the next step is moving it to it's own channel and dropping it from Cartoon Network.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:41 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
Adult Swim is great but the next step is moving it to it's own channel and dropping it from Cartoon Network.

True enough - but I doubt it will happen. CN ratings would severly drop.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 pm 

NYR94 wrote:
. Before the show started, Conan came out and immediately stuck his hand out for me to shake. My mother told him, "Aw, he really wanted a hug from you, Conan.: To which Conan replied, "A hug?" as he turned to size me up and opened his arms accordingly. I stood and hugged the man! He was a really good sport about everything and truly a man of the people.

Now see - that's just a good publicity story that never got out. Congrats on the Conan hug, NYR94!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:23 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Question for any of you here............

Did anyone see the "debut" of Conan tonight? (on "The Tonight Show")

TZ DZ Fan

Yeah, I loved the Debut, I was a fan of Conan's since day one, in my college days. I like his quirky strange humor, I love Andy Richter, soooo glad hes back, hope he stays, I saw a skit where he wears a red wig with pigtails and prentends to be Conan, just classic. I just hope Conan veers away from too much self deprecating humor, some is Ok, yet it started getting redundant.

( I grew up on David Letterman, love his biting humor, and his presence; I also love Conan, so I say " heres to good choices". I like Fallon, hes got moxy. I also like Kimmel. Great choices).

TZ DZ, great topic, Zone thanxxxxx

Z

PtE is #1Image

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:27 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i don't care for either guy.
i never intentionally watched either show since the Johhny Carson days. by chance or ust to have something on before i went to bed, the tv was on and i would here these guys. i have never thought either Jay Leno not Conan O'Brien were funny. i have never seen the appeal.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:41 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Conan and Fallon really appeal to the mid 20s/college/stoner crowd. Fallon intentionally or unintentionally makes some sort of reference or joke to smoking or stoned kids watching at least every night.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:30 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

I just read on Drudge that after the amazing viewer numbers on Monday night, each night thereafter has seen a significant decline in ratings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:56 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

NYR94 wrote:
I just read on Drudge that after the amazing viewer numbers on Monday night, each night thereafter has seen a significant decline in ratings.

Obviously....its a moment in time...a piece of history.....everything gets back to normal after a week and everyone comes to the conclusion that we will probably be viewing Conan on The Tonight Show for the next couple of years...

This is no suprise...I remember reading in the paper that Conan would take over in 2009 way back in 2005-06, so this is no shock.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

So I heard "The Jay Leno Show" lost about 7 million viewers the day after the show opening. hah