Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:10 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I read this when I was about 18 and have always felt a strong connection to it. Possibly my favorite Stephen King book ever made, and probably his best work that hasn't been made into a film. The movie has been in development for almost 30 years!!!! Steven Spielberg has been signed on and it looks to be a 6 hour miniseries. I really hope they do a good job on this and not turn out like The Stand, Rose Red etc or other horrible SK television series. Hope to see this film in 2010

Little short film to get everyone excited...this is NOT from the series

Link

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:28 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I feel bad for people that have been waiting 25 years for this film.....
Please dont f@%k this up Spielberg (by the way... The rumors for this mini-series are 3-4 years old)
rights to The Talisman were first bought by Universal for Spielberg in 1984 - to the point where "soon to be a major motion picture!" was printed on paperback editions of the book in 1985.

I'm just waiting to hear some news....

I dont think there is any other movie on the planet that has been in pre production hell like this one...

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Wow that's insane! I actually never got the chance to read it, and really should pick it up. I've read the follow-up 'Black House' which I really enjoyed.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Not 1 of my fav's by either author. Bear in mind, I haven't read it in 20+ years, but at the time it was too much like the Thomas Covenant Chronicles meets Narnia without the bite. I may have a different opinion if I reread it today, who knows? I haven't read "Black House" but am assuming Jack grew up and still visits the territories from time to time.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

You assume correctly. It was a dark book -- when I was reading it, oh 5 years ago, someone who read and loved 'The Talisman' mentioned it was more fantasy, and couldn't get through 'Black House' because of its dark and disturbing nature.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:20 am 

Now "Black House" sounds more interesting to me with that descriptor. :evil:

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:35 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

DrMoreau wrote:
Not 1 of my fav's by either author. Bear in mind, I haven't read it in 20+ years, but at the time it was too much like the Thomas Covenant Chronicles meets Narnia without the bite. I may have a different opinion if I reread it today, who knows? I haven't read "Black House" but am assuming Jack grew up and still visits the territories from time to time.

Well I agree that much of the book is hard to digest, I think it stays so true to my heart for personal reasons....relating to the character and what not. I found myself loving some parts and hating others, and sometimes I felt myself right there in the book with Jack, similar to crossing over my damn self. Must have been some strong ganja.

DrM and others, I am curious as to what you think a possible film/mini-series would be like or if you think you would enjoy it?

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:36 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
DrM and others, I am curious as to what you think a possible film/mini-series would be like or if you think you would enjoy it?

Depends upon several factors - Director, cast, etc. I would be curious who they'd cast as Jack and Lily "the Queen of B Movies" Sawyer.
CGI use also be a determining factor as far as enjoyment level goes.
Mini-Series: Depends upon the channel.
Movie: a lot would have to be condensed or made into either a 3 hour plus or 2 movies.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:50 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Still waiting.......waiting.....and more waiting.

Decided to read it again, has been about seven years since I last picked it up....Black House to follow.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:49 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I still need to read The Talisman, but I've read Black House, and enjoyed it. Though this thread is devoted to The Talisman, I figured I would hijack it briefly to inform of another King topic: I just read that CBS will be airing a 13-episode new drama titled Under The Dome, based on King's novel. I will most definitely be watching this. My cousin gave that book to me a few years ago as a gift and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The ending was ok, but the journey was pretty awesome. I believe it was around 1,000 pages, so making this a series sounds very interesting, and quite plausible. Of course, I wonder if this will be a "one and done" show, or if it will continue with other storylines about the small town cut off from the rest of the world by the transparent dome. Either way, I look forward to the summer start.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:10 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Under the Dome was awesome. I felt like Stephen King delivered another good epic size novel, and with such a simple concept.
I hated the fact that many people didnt even give it a chance because "The Simpsons" somehow did it first with the whole dome concept. Seriously? If anything SK had been working on the idea years prior.
I am glad I got to read the book first, so this TV series will be enjoyable. At least its something, better then nothing.
Pretty much every other idea by King right now is getting denied by studios. ...like the Dark Tower and...um...Talisman.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Alright! Another fan of "the Dome". I didn't realize it caught flack because of 'The Simpsons'. I'm looking forward to the show, to see how it's executed. Hopefully it'll be a gem this summer. I also look forward to discussing it with you bro.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Interesting news about this 13-episode series coming up based on Under the Dome... I read the King book a couple of years ago. Right after finishing it, I felt that it was great material for a 10-part series on TV or something similar. The story in the novel definitely concludes so if they follow the book that way, there wouldn't be any follow-up series --- unless the same thing happens to another town; now that might be an intriguing way to go -- a whole new set of characters in the same situation...! And... maybe even throw in one of the survivors from the first town, though that might be pushing it or stretching it.

I found King's book to be mostly entertaining. I just felt he went too far with a couple of characters, the ones that 'go bad' -

Spoiler

specifically the two lead Selectmen; the first one is such a weakling, always whining, and becomes a drug addict in the span of a day, while the other one becomes this ruthless killer (the tipping point came for me when he reached over and broke a woman's neck; all of a sudden, he's transformed into this super killer and utterly evil). I heard that King based these two characters on Bush & Cheney, and I think his hatred for those two colored his work on the characters - they became these caricatures of spinelessness and evil.
But, no doubt, it will all make for an interesting TV series. Oh, btw, besides The Simpsons, this ground was already covered way back in an obscure little sci-fi film called The Bubble, in 1966. It starred Michael Cole just before his role in The Mod Squad ! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:25 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

You all can expect Jesus to return before this book ever gets adapted. :cry:
Now , there is still hope. I'm sure people never though the Dark Tower would be made into a motion picture, so there is some light at the end of the 40 year tunnel.