Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
1. Conan
2. Letterman
3. Leno
4. Other

Letterman for me, I first watched him when I was a teen, I loved his biting sarcasm from the start, I was hooked.

I am a fan of the others too, Conan, Kimmel, Fallon, and have found a new and much greater appreciation for Leno in his 10 o'clock spot.

According to the WSJ, Leno has stiff competition at that time, I have NOT seen any of those dramas. Thus, as is common knowledge, his ratings are down,sadly, I thought Leno's change was alot better than before, and I loved his guest list. I am in the minority compared to most viewers I guess.

http://www.rbr.com/tv-cable/tv-cable_ratings/19849.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

If he switches to a later hour, I hope he keeps his new set, and some of his newer material, etc....

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:43 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
Rush Limbaugh of the Rush Limbaugh TV Show. :clap:

Image :smoke:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:09 am 
Director of the National Post

Mr Z.............

As of this week, Conan's days are "numbered" in his current timeslot.
He has been offered a later slot, but its not known if he will accept it.

The word supposedly is, Jay Leno will take back his 11:30 slot, but will reduce it to a 30 minute format.

I don't watch it much, but I have recently been catching Leno on Tuesdays after "The Biggest Loser".

I also like the old-school days of Letterman, just as you do. I loved it years ago.
Last few times I watched him, it wasn't as good. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:45 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Yeah, Conan seems to have no choice but to move out of his time slot.

I agree, Letterman was excellent back in the day. Maybe his surgeries effected him,hmmm.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Other - Mike Douglas

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 am 

Found this a bit ago.............

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now things get particularly interesting.

Conan O’Brien has issued a statement saying that he “cannot participate” in NBC’s plan to push ‘The Tonight Show‘ to 12:05, so as to accommodate a later version of the struggling ‘Jay Leno Show.’

O’Brien’s 552-word missive acknowledges that “in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky.” That said, he believes that pushing ‘The Tonight Show’ effectively into the following day will “seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting.”

“I cannot participate” in that, he said, also citing the proposed move’s unfairness to ‘Late Night‘ host Jimmy Fallon.

Despite the strength of O’Brien’s words, an NBC rep tells the Newark Star-Ledger that a new episode of ‘The Tonight Show’ will air as planned Tuesday night, with guests Zachary Levi (’Chuck’) and newsman Tom Brokaw.

Here is Conan’s full statement, as published by N-Y-Times.:

“People of Earth:

In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.

Yours,

Conan”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is more or less his way of saying, "NO, I will not move timeslots YET AGAIN after all this bullshit".
More than likely, he is probably a small bit bitter towards Jay Leno, for all the attention he gets, and how seemingly the network is catering alot of its late night shows "around"/accomodating what they believe is their flagship host.

Its not going to affect me much one way or the other, but I can't say I blame the guy.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:08 pm 

We can all relate to that................. :x

Image :~}

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I appreciate what Conan said at the start, to not pity him, he is right, he makes tons of money doing an entertaining job, hes incredibly lucky.
That said, I wish him luck for the future. If he has to change networks, maybe it will be for the better, down the line.

Letterman left, and now is happy where he is now. That may happen for Conan. I am not saying I want him to leave. On the contrary, yet,
maybe the execs at NBC have some loopholes to make him move, idk. He seems to be standing strong now,hmmm...

Imagine if they had Jay and Conan sharing the Tonight Show together, haha...

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:49 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I'm a Conan fan -- I'll watch him wherever he goes. But in all honesty, I haven't watched much late night television in the past 6 months. I'll pop it on every once in a while, but it hasn't been often.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:48 pm 

Spotted this a bit ago- It appears this is getting a bit ugly. Not that I am ever into this Hollywood gossip sort of thing, but this is getting interesting for one reason to me.
We are dealing with millions of dollars here, (and people's lives and futures) and its starting to become apparent that even the "smaller-scale" late night hosts are getting irritated.

Now why this worthless pig Rosie O'Donnell has to use this platform as a means to get herself a bit more attention, is beyond me.
============================================================================
NBC Exec: Conan’s ‘Astounding Failure’ Caused Late Night Mess
by Matt Webb Mitovich

Amid talk that Jay Leno is thisclose to inking a deal to reclaim the reins of ‘The Tonight Show,’ one veteran NBC exec has laid the blame for the late-night shuffle and kafuffle at the feet of Conan O’Brien.

“What this is really all about is an astounding failure by Conan,” NBC Universal Sports chairman Dick Ebersol told the New York Times.

Ebersol, who during his long tenure with NBC helped create ‘Saturday Night Live’ and frequently consults on the network’s late-night strategy, deems O’Brien’s monologue disses of Leno “chicken-hearted and gutless.” He says ‘The Tonight Show’ is now losing to CBS’ ‘Late Show with David Letterman’ not because ‘The Jay Leno Show’ offers a weak lead-in, but because O’Brien ignored Ebersol’s advice to tweak his shtick to better suit an 11:35 audience.

“I like Conan enormously personally,” Ebersol said. “He was just stubborn about not being willing to broaden the appeal of his show.”

UPDATE: A member of O’Brien’s camp responded to Ebersol’s comments, telling TheWrap.com, “This is the essence of NBC’s problems – Conan O’Brien is losing his job because he didn’t take the comedy notes of a 62-year-old sports producer.”

Aside from longtime friend and NBC CEO Jeff Zucker, Ebersol is pretty lonely on Team Jay, as O’Brien enjoys the support of peers such as Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel and Rosie O’Donnell.

As a guest on Thursday’s ‘Leno Show,’ ABC’s Kimmel left his host visibly flustered with repeated barbs about Leno’s late-night land grab. “Listen, Jay, Conan and I have children—all you have to take care of is cars,” Kimmel said. “For God’s sake, leave our shows alone.”

O’Donnell, appearing at the Television Critics Association winter tour, likened the hosting of ‘The Tonight Show’ to the driving of a bus. She urged Leno to “pass the keys to the new guy with red hair, and not try to flatten his tires before he even gets going.”

Outlets such as The Washington Post and TV Guide Magazine hear that a deal is being hammered out to reinstall Leno as host of ‘The Tonight Show’ while paying O’Brien (very generously) to quietly walk away. But until that transition happens, the guy with the red hair continues to get in his digs.

“No matter what happens,” O’Brien said during his Thursday monologue, “it’s been a real honor to sit in the same chair as Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno… and Jay Leno.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

TZ DZ, interesting article, thanks for sharing. To me, the last comment by Conan does not sound like a dig to me, its more like a virtual eventuality, Leno may just get that
seat back, its more the NBC execs' doing than Jay, I am guessing.

I hope they resolve this quickly, and end the drama. I am a fan of all these hosts, and hope they can come to terms.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
DrMoreau wrote:
Other - Mike Douglas

:clap: oh yeah! I remember coming home from school and watching him loved him.....then Carson too...since he left haven't watched any of these dorks...can't stand Conan Leno, sometimes Letterman is funny but it is too late for me to stay up and watch anyway. I don't want to DVR them either too many other things to do!!
Love the Mike Douglas photo Dr M!!! :clap:

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:00 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Good to see you, Mr. Mulligan , long time no see.

I caught a few episodes of Carson, good times. Letterman was great years ago, I still respect him,
he has a presence like no one else, imho, even if he hs changed.

I also like the others to lesser degrees.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Love the Mike Douglas photo Dr M!!! :clap:

:clap: Memories ... :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I would have to say Conan right now is my favorite probably since 2002 but I will watch all of them, including ferguson and kimmel here and there if it is a actor/actress I wish to see. I remember thinking 2009 was so far off and I guess nobody relized that Leno would have to step aside when that year came around....but it has happened and maybe the torch was passed way to early. I havent watched the Leno show since its debut and I dont think I will plan on it either. I tend to forget to turn on these programs until at least 11:30-midnight.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:33 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

http://tv.yahoo.com/the-tonight-show-wi ... no_o_brien

I am a fan of Conan ( not crazy about name Coco), I wonder where he will go next, hmmm?

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:23 pm 

Fox desires him.......................... :evil:

I think it would be a good fit!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:17 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I hope so, that would be interesting.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:04 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Conan
Craig Ferguson is pretty funny, too.

Letterman, Leno...not funny.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 am 

I had to admit I liked Leno. But shortly before the 2008 presidential election he got weird with his political commentary and jokes.
It was almost as it were he became afraid. :o I just lost interest after that. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:58 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Always been a Conan fan. I remember being in high school and talking Seinfeld and Conan. I don't understand why they f@%ked this up anyway. If Leno was getting ratings with Tonight and Conan with Late Night why bother 'Passing the Torch'? Now that they decided to do that, why play "indian-giver"? According to Adam Sandler's uncle, NBC = Nothing But twit.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:30 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

I loved Conan on The Late Show ( 1993) from day 1,yeah I have obscure tastes :D. Alot of people did not like his early stuff. Saying he was quirky,too edgy, some might say childish.
I guess I will always be young at heart ( even now at 39, lol). Over the years,however, I did get a bit tired of his self-deprecating humor ( how many tmes
can we hear him say hes too pale, or too tall or too thin,gah ), and some of his repetitive humor became hackneyed, ( Kirsty Alley is over weight, John Tesh is not your favorite singer, we get it, enough), imho. Sorry, Conan.

Yet, I feel when he got the Tonight show, he improved alot. His monologues improved, and his interviewing style seemed more natural.
It was great to see Andy back, first as an anouncer, then to return to full side kick status, that was great. I am a
huge Andy fan ( Conan joked that Andy may get a show, and he [Conan] would be the side kick, I would love to
see that).

I hope when the smoke clears , Conan returns to a new show. FOX, CBS,ABC,etc???
Maybe in the meantime, he can do Internet stuff,who know. Good Luck 'Cone Zone'.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:46 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Leno
Letterman
Carson Daly

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

If I stay up to watch any:

Conan
Ferguson
Kimmel

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:57 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Lazy, cool you are a fellow Coco fan. Love me some Kimmel Live, too.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:30 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I never caught any Johnny Carson ever unfortunately as hes suppose to be the best and the king Ive been told.
Conan was my favorite originally but I can watch them all equally. It makes me wonder about what I missed as I watched Leno as opposed to Letterman and vice versa but at this point I dont believe any of them are higher then the other in terms of late night. Its whatever your choice I suppose.
Fav Hosts that didnt last...
Fred Kruegar - from the 80s late night it didnt last long.
Space Ghost - the 90s stuff
Tom Green Live - was on MTV for a few years doing the talk show format...funny stff

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Conan
Ferguson
Kimmel

You can watch them anytime. That's what DVRs are for. And I almost left out Craig Ferguson. He makes me laugh so hard, him and Geoff, his gay dead robot sidekick. I believe they used to use pre-recorded responses before the voice actor being there live to respond. Just hilarious though. Ferguson and the show Psych always make me laugh so much.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:23 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Merv Griffin

Link

Dick Cavett

Link

Steve Allen

Link

James Lipton

Link

Johnny Carson

Link

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Anthony wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Conan
Ferguson
Kimmel

You can watch them anytime. That's what DVRs are for. And I almost left out Craig Ferguson. He makes me laugh so hard, him and Geoff, his gay dead robot sidekick. I believe they used to use pre-recorded responses before the voice actor being there live to respond. Just hilarious though. Ferguson and the show Psych always make me laugh so much.

Yes, I believe you're right. Ferguson and his skeleton sidekick are awesome! I love the current schtick with the live voice actor but I almost preferred the limited dialogue at times. I mean Ferguson is doing his monologue and Geoff randomly says "Balls!" - that always killed me. I loved Craig Kilborn before Ferguson in that show too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:42 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes, but what I love about the show now is they reference the way Geoff used to be all the time when he'll sometimes randomly say "balls" when Ferguson asks Geoff a question, which is really funny. On the Friday show before this year's Super Bowl, the robot malfunctioned somehow and lost power, so the eyes stopped glowing and he stopped moving, so Craig said he must be dead and then remembered he's already dead, so Geoff started talking like some ghostly spirit and when asked if he had any final words from the great beyond, of course said, after a pause, "baaaalls" lol. Yeah, I remember he used to say balls and "CBS Cares" a lot, which they still do now. They've worked in the guys in the horse costume too, with the horse called Secretariat. They used to just bring out the horse to dance, but now they have him nodding yes, nodding what's up, shaking his head and even shrugging now.

But Craig and Geoff are just hilarious together, they have great chemistry. They do a lot of good callbacks every show too. I like to do the movements of the robot to people, because it's funny, I like how they have his head move all side to side and his teeth out, like he's somehow always smiling. The funniest part about that is when they move his arm up and down and shake it, almost like he's waving. For this Valentine's show, he said he was having a party with C3-PO and R2-D2 but not Robby the Robot, because he's a douche lol.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I leave you with these parting words from the Late Late Show. "Balls" and "CBS Cares".

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:15 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Just read Craig Ferguson is leaving The Late Late Show in December....that makes me sad. Though I haven't watched much lately, I always loved catching Craig if I was up late or couldn't sleep. The guy is unpredictable and hysterical. Loved his interaction with Geoff, damn shame he's decided to move on. Actually, it's a damn shame he wasn't given The Late Show once Letterman retires. Good luck Craig -- "CBS Cares".

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:30 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Craig was good but it felt like he was always lost in the shuffle of the late night programs.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:42 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I really enjoyed watching Craig Ferguson's last shows over this past month. What's even better is not only did he always just fly by the seat of his pants (in general), but now he just didn't give a shite, which made these final shows awesome.