Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:18 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

BUT- I think you will quickly see it does indeed reach "must-see" status, as it gets into the last couple of seasons.
One thing is for sure, the last season or two, they were just epic.
The last season is really something, they way it all unfolds.

TZ DZ fan

Now this surprises me because most shows usually decline in later seasons, but TWD seems to keep momentum rolling. Ive also heard this "keeps getting better" line in other circles.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:22 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

1.Gotham (recording)
2.The Last Man on Earth
3.Better Call Saul (finished)
4.Tosh.0
5.Trailer Park Boys (Netflix)

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:23 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I actually started watching "Breaking Bad". Mostly because if one more person tells me how good it is, I'm gonna punch them in the face.

It is pretty good, though.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:34 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
whitsbrain wrote:
I actually started watching "Breaking Bad". Mostly because if one more person tells me how good it is, I'm gonna punch them in the face.

I hope you don't tire of it sir.
Thats my only fear for you on this one, because otherwise, I think you will find it far different than most shows today, and you seem to already like it too.
This is yet another one, that I personally thought was "decent, but not great", but it quickly gathered pace and got very interesting.
It seems as though I almost ALWAYS go through a similar stance on shows. Its rare that I am really "in love" with a show right from the onset.

Its a long series, and I'm going to be perfectly honest with you......... it unfortunately pretty much has one long slowly building arc, and thats not really your cup of tea. (don't be totally down though, there's countless little mini stories and things going on to keep it relatively fresh)
But it is so damn good otherwise (I'm trying to put myself in your shoes), I'm hoping you give it a fair shake.
Its one I never did go back and rewatch many, if any episodes.
I'd like to know how far you are into the series, as a wild guess I'm only assuming a few episodes, maybe 4 or 5.

Please keep me posted on this one....as to your current thoughts as you go along.
I will likely go back and look at some episode lists and try to see how we both lined up at various points as you go along.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:31 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
whitsbrain wrote:

:ROTF: Awesome! Enjoy the show....my wife and I are currently in the middle of season 4.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:52 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Anyone watching Yahoo's OTHER SPACE?

It debuted on Yahoo! Screen on April 14, 2015. Created by Paul Feig, who created the tv show Freaks and Geeks.

This is a Scifi sitcom show, the cast can act and they are funny, imho,the 3 actresses are quite attractive, bonus :D
The cast even includes Joel Gordon Hodgson from MST 3K and his robot. Other Space kind of shares the same satirical humor, snarkiness, and mirth as MST. Good times.

I really like this show;however, it could be a bit better,they need one stand out character ala Spock/ Data imho. Neil Casey's character seems to want to be that one, but just falls short, his back story is a bit too odd, and his gills are uninteresting. Another actor who might be fitting that role is Natasha, who is the ships computer, she reminds me of SIRI. Shes a beautiful curvy actress who can act well and self admittingly is silly.

The writing is pretty good and funny, yet, it stretches the imagination alot, sometimes all the characters seem too dim witted to figure out
some obvious matters. That being said, I still love all of the cast and all the episodes.

Overall, I recommend it to SF fans, especially MST 3K, Hitchhiker guide to galaxy, and Red dwarf fans.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:22 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:

:ROTF: Awesome! Enjoy the show....my wife and I are currently in the middle of season 4.

I loved it when I watched it, (I considered it the best show on tv at the time) but now I dont think I ever want to watch it again for some reason. It doesnt seem to have that repeat appeal for me. Im not so sure I even think its one of the best shows of all time anymore. But I sure was hooked.

TZDZ said he didnt rewatch any episodes...I can agree on that. Ive got BETTER CALL SAUL sitting on the DVR but Im reluctant to start it. The "Breaking Bad" franchise is dangerously close to being WhitAxed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:39 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:

I loved it when I watched it, (I considered it the best show on tv at the time) but now I dont think I ever want to watch it again for some reason. It doesnt seem to have that repeat appeal for me. Im not so sure I even think its one of the best shows of all time anymore. But I sure was hooked.

TZDZ said he didnt rewatch any episodes...I can agree on that. Ive got BETTER CALL SAUL sitting on the DVR but Im reluctant to start it. The "Breaking Bad" franchise is dangerously close to being WhitAxed.

I don't know if I would "never" rewatch it, but it seems like one that I don't have much desire to rewatch it at this point.
Many shows such as Battlestar Galactica, Fringe and a bunch of my other favorites, I have seen alot of, and many episodes multiple times.
(I have a habit of reviewing some episodes before the new seasons start too)
Breaking Bad was epic, and as the dominoes started to fall near the end, it was must watch.
But I just don't know if its one I will go through again any time soon.... as SVB said, I just don't see the repeat viewing appeal.
Maybe in a couple of years or so, but not now.

While I liked the "Saul" character in Breaking Bad, I am definitely not into humor, and watching a show specifically about that character will never be my cup of tea, hence I will probably never even give it a chance.

I do look forward to Lazy's and Whits thoughts on BB soon though. Probably more so since its not the typical sci fi type thing we normally line up on.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:42 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

While I liked the "Saul" character in Breaking Bad, I am definitely not into humor, and watching a show specifically about that character will never be my cup of tea, hence I will probably never even give it a chance.

TZ DZ fan

I watched it, and it seems to lack both drama and comedy. The creators look to rely on cameos from the original and has a WTF moment here and there like BB...but I can say with confidence that this is strictly for the hardcore fans who simply must have more since the show ended. But dont expect to be enthralled. Its hardly must see tv. The first two episodes will hook you but after that a total nosedive.
It was like watching those really slow boring scenes from Breaking Bad. (which were very few of) But slower ...alot slower.

Better Call Saul puts the BAD in Breaking Bad. :P
Thank you thank you :D

Unread postPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:55 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

TZ DZ fan

I watched it, and it seems to lack both drama and comedy.

It also now lacks a viewer. A viewer named TZ DZ Fan. ;)

You know what, I haven't brought it up here, but this thread is as good as any.

There is a heap of promising new sci-fi shows coming out this year.
Why in the f@%k haven't any of them started yet.
I don't get it.

On that note- to anyone like whit, lazy and the rest that sees this thread.
Please alert me (or all of us on the board I suppose) when some of these new shows start.
I never watch network TV, so I never see the commercials and promos to tip me off when the new shows start.
Since I only stream online, I never have to deal with commercials. The only downside, is I miss the occasional promo for new shows coming up.
Maybe we should snoop around online, I would think there is a good site thats dedicated to "new shows/promos" somewhere.
If anyone knows a good site, I'm all ears.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:23 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Here is a link to stream the 6th season of the TV sitcom called COMMUNITY:

https://screen.yahoo.com/community/

At first, I was resistant to this show when it first aired. I saw commercials of it, and it just did not do anything for me. I thought the acting cast
and setting was lack luster at best. It ran for 5 seasons on TV, then they pulled it. Now its online.
They changed some cast and added new members.

I can say that this show grows on me, I liked the 5th season,and I am enjoying the current 6th season. Some of the humor is dark and witty, the plots are interesting, and I have an appreciate for each of the cast members.

It is mostly a situational comedy, with some satire. However the character of Abed gives it a surreal SCI-FI twist, breaking the 4th wall, referencing/pretending that hes in an aired (TV) program. Hes my favorite character, he too is a fan of Sci Fi ( he enjoys a Dr. Who like show).

I am looking forward to the 10th episode of season 6, the sneak preview looks very SCIFI.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the heads up Mr.Z.

I am not much into comedy, though I have heard several people say they liked the show. For it to run 5+ seasons is a feat in itself in todays world. Thats a good sign for shows now.

I read where alot of shows just got axed, and a few are on the sci-fi radar.

"Resurrection" , "The Messengers", and "Helix" are all noteworthy.

I had heard that "The Messengers" was interesting, but now I will likely never give it a chance....considering it never even made it to a second season.

"Helix" has a couple of supporters on this board here, including Lazyboy, and now its gone as well.
Hopefully the season 2 finale is good enough that the fans can accept it and enjoy it for an ending, even though there were plans for possible future seasons.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:41 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Thank you TZ DZ fan for informing us on these tv shows, its good to hear that there is some good Sci Fi shows out there; yet, sad that they get the axe so soon. If it was not for the PTE, I probably would never even have heard of these shows.

I keep hearing the Daredevil series is great, but its on Netflix, I do not have it; yet, one day I'll subscribe...

I see on SyFy one can watch some episodes of Helix for free, I shall give them a go, thanks again.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:32 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
Mr.Z wrote:
I keep hearing the Daredevil series is great, but its on Netflix, I do not have it; yet, one day I'll subscribe...

I see on SyFy one can watch some episodes of Helix for free, I shall give them a go, thanks again.

Z

I subscribed to Netflix for the free month trial, dunno if it's the same in the US, but probably, but you can subscribe to the free month trial, cancel your membership instantly and still get the free month. I did it for the premium membership, so I could watch the show in 4K on my 4K TV, and it really is very good, I would recommend it Mr.Z 8)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:28 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Helix was very good in its first season; I was highly anticipating the second season, and I enjoyed it, but it didn't pack the same punch the first season had. I think it ended alright, but there certainly were storylines that could have been explored.

The Following has also been canceled. Monday will be the final 2 hours of the series, and quite frankly I'm alright with that. I thought the first season was very good, novel, creepy. The second season was good, but not AS good, and this season I was just kind of blah about it. I didn't think it reinvented itself too well, so I think it's fine to get axed.

I plan on checking out Daredevil soon.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:50 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Rorschach wrote:
Mr.Z wrote:

Z

I subscribed to Netflix for the free month trial, dunno if it's the same in the US, but probably, but you can subscribe to the free month trial, cancel your membership instantly and still get the free month.

Ive done that. Those netflix execs are real vultures with there devious business tactics. They really try to hook people in and keep them hooked. I think Netflix is real shady to be honest but until there is a better alternative so be it.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:38 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
StillValleyBard wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Mr.Z wrote:

Z

I subscribed to Netflix for the free month trial, dunno if it's the same in the US, but probably, but you can subscribe to the free month trial, cancel your membership instantly and still get the free month.

Ive done that. Those netflix execs are real vultures with there devious business tactics. They really try to hook people in and keep them hooked. I think Netflix is real shady to be honest but until there is a better alternative so be it.

Yeah, well my free month trial is up now, and doubt I'll be paying to subscribe unless they had shite loads more 4K content than they already do.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Game of Thrones
Penny Dreadful
Turn: Washington's Spies
Wayward Pines
Bitten (season finale tonight)

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:08 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Wayward Pines

Very weird bro.......

Last night well before you posted this, I was looking over some things on the site I often stream my web viewing through.
I stumbled across "Wayward Pines".

From the description, I immediately thought of the similarities to "Twin Peaks", at least a few from what I read anyway.

I'm about to have a TON of new shows to watch, but I may give this a crack at some point, depending on your "review" and thoughts.
I do note you have been fairly quiet about it thus far.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:00 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Wayward Pines

Very weird bro.......

Last night well before you posted this, I was looking over some things on the site I often stream my web viewing through.
I stumbled across "Wayward Pines".

From the description, I immediately thought of the similarities to "Twin Peaks", at least a few from what I read anyway.

I'm about to have a TON of new shows to watch, but I may give this a crack at some point, depending on your "review" and thoughts.
I do note you have been fairly quiet about it thus far.

TZ DZ fan

It's worth a viewing -- especially because it's considered a 10-episode mini-event, based on a novel by Blake Crouch. Only 4 episodes in and definitely strange happenings; it's nothing original but I'm very curious where it's going. I'm hoping it doesn't turn out to be completely predictable.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:26 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I've watched the first couple of episodes of "Wayward Pines" based solely on the presence of Carla Gugino. ;)

True to form, two episodes in and practically nothing has happened. But what did I expect? It is a TV show, after all.

I've still only watched the first two episodes of "Breaking Bad". It's all too much of a time sink. I'm bummed because I can't tell what I am doing wrong regarding managing my time. I spend hour after hour working and it seems all of my "free" time is taking up by STUDYING to do my job. I'm losing touch with everything other than my so-called career.

I did manage to spend about 4 hours watching about 3/4 of the 16-story run of the 1981 ABC anthology "Darkroom", hosted by James Coburn. This was to prep for the 80's Anthologies podcast I do with Doug McCoy. Good series. I think Doug will post the podcast episode sometime today.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:39 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
I've watched the first couple of episodes of "Wayward Pines" based solely on the presence of Carla Gugino. ;)

True to form, two episodes in and practically nothing has happened. But what did I expect? It is a TV show, after all.

I've still only watched the first two episodes of "Breaking Bad". It's all too much of a time sink. I'm bummed because I can't tell what I am doing wrong regarding managing my time. I spend hour after hour working and it seems all of my "free" time is taking up by STUDYING to do my job. I'm losing touch with everything other than my so-called career.

Well at least the presence of Carla G. has kept you from going full blown Debbie Downer and ignoring a TV show completely. :clap:

The issue with "Breaking Bad", is you have a lot to watch, once you actually start. Quite a few seasons, and thats not really your thing.
You just don't have the patience for it at this point.
You just aren't a TV kinda guy like some of us are, you are more into movies and one-and-done type things.
(this is kind of cool to me, since I have missed an absolute shitload of movies the last 5-10 years, one day I have a ton that I will enjoy I guess)

On the work note- You seem to have your life in general order. At what point do you begin thinking about retirement?
This is not a joke, i'm serious. Just a question............

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:34 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm "only" 51, but I have been planning for it with financial advisors for probably 25 years. I think about what I will do when I'm retired on a daily basis. it's weird that it's getting closer.

My goal is to retire on this side of 60. I would probably have to do something part-time when I'm retired because I need the interaction with others. I've been planning for a couple of trips a year once I'm done working. The wife and I toy with the idea of possibly selling our home and buying a smaller place near a lake. I'll definitely get a membership at a golf course. And man, do I hope our health holds up.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I do for a living. I just wish that I could make a day longer than 24 hours. It doesn't help that if it's past 9:00 at night, I can't stay awake. When I was young, it seemed like the clock never moved. Now, I think back to my Dad telling me that when I got to his age, the most important thing to me would be time. He was right.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:08 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

At age 35, I already feel the "time crunch". I also go back to when I was young, hearing "time flies as you get older" and I certainly feel it. It seems to me that once I got out of school and more responsibility got shoved onto my plate, that's when the sands of time began falling at an increasing rate.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:11 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I just started Falling skies. Its pretty weak.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:11 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
I just started Falling skies. Its pretty weak.

Falling Skies gets better as it goes along.
I was only lukewarm in the beginning, but liked it much better down the track.

There are a couple others just cranking up again.
Defiance- had a 2 hour season premiere last week, and it was pretty strong. Very ballsy move with a few of the characters, which I can't get into here.
I will likely address it in a dedicated thread soon.
Dark Matter- This one started off as cookie cutter type SYFY mediocre programming, but picked up the pace towards the end of the episode.
Personally I think it has a lot of potential.
A few on IMDB (not that I ever look, I just stumbled across that) were saying "the next great sci-fi show has arrived".
That is a stretch in my opinion, but the ending of the pilot episode makes me think it will be pretty damn good if it keeps progressing like it did towards the end of the episode.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:22 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Yep Falling Skies improves with progression through the series.

Defiance premiere was awesome - I don't know what it is but I feel a certain comfort when this show returns and I get to watch these characters again.

Dark Matter - I agree with TZ DZ, thought it was going to be a cookie cutter show but it's been a bit better than that so far.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:48 am 

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Defiance premiere was awesome - I don't know what it is but I feel a certain comfort when this show returns and I get to watch these characters again.

Dark Matter - I agree with TZ DZ, thought it was going to be a cookie cutter show but it's been a bit better than that so far.

You and I line up very closely on Defiance, and I knew it was one you would latch onto, judging from your likes over the years.

I'm actually very very stoked with Dark Matter, its really turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
The first half hour or so I was like,"ok, just another popcorn sci-fi show", but I am really into it now.
It seems to have a lot of traits that I have always liked. It has entered "must watch" status for me after the second ep.
I do have one small gripe with episode two, but I will create a dedicated thread soon, and not delve into it here.

I am calling out SVB though...~!

Minutes ago on the site I stream my shows through, Under The Dome appeared. :wtf:
I thought this one got the axe and was long gone. What the Hell happened to bring this one back from the grave?

I gave up on it after about half way through the second season.
Didn't you stick with this one after I stopped watching? Or did you give up on it to.... Hell I can't remember to be honest.
I have a lot of shows I am sorting through right now, and a few of my Aussie favorites will be ending soon.
But just maybe, MAYBE I will give UTD a chance yet again, and try and pick it up where I left off.
I have done that a couple of times, but I generally get unhappy and drop it.

When does "Fear the Walking Dead" start....? It can't be long before it kicks off.
I don't have high hopes for it, but I am sure to give that a crack.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:00 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

Minutes ago on the site I stream my shows through, Under The Dome appeared. :wtf:
I thought this one got the axe and was long gone. What the Hell happened to bring this one back from the grave?

Didn't you stick with this one after I stopped watching? Or did you give up on it to.... Hell I can't remember to be honest.
But just maybe, MAYBE I will give UTD a chance yet again, and try and pick it up where I left off.
TZ DZ fan

Well the thing about UtD first and foremost is that years ago I read the book and loved it. Personally I thought it Stephen Kings best stuff in decades. (He had not written a 1000+ page book since his coked out 80s ) I thought it was a great return to form from him and Ive said it here before that it was one of the few novels I couldnt put down. So I had high expectations for the show.
I started out watching Season 1 and was mildly entertained. The problem I saw was that there were WAY to many changes from book to show. Not just changing and combing storylines and character but completely eliminating whole sections of it. You have all this source material and they ignore it. Lets not forget the fact that the creators of the show hav stretched this into multiple seasons. That translates into about 40% of actual book material. (Probably less) Which means theres alot of shite the writers have added which make it so unneccessary. It felt like they saw the book ...ripped the cover off and threw the rest in the trash...leaving jst the premise of a dome. Whats worse is SK approving it all as executive producer. I also didnt think the actors portraying the characters fit well at all. I think Under the Dome would have played much better as a TV miniseries or Made for Tv movie ...like The Stand. That was a way more faithful adaption. Scarier also. This show there is ZERO tension or drama. Somehow though the show would have its moments...making it OK but still boring and drawn out.
The reason I gave it the Axe was because it became unrecognizable. Then I missed the premiere of Season 2 and they never show replays so I was like F it. Maybe someday when the series is long over I may go back and revisit the whole thing and give it another chance. But that day is a long long ways away.

Under the Dome is Under the Dirt...where it will stay buried. Headless...because it was Whit-AXED!
Whitsbrain Axe

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:20 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

lazyboyx51 wrote:

Im 4 episodes in and I will continue to watch as it is keeping me interested enough. However my only problem was I went in thinking this was going to be like a movie style production. Like more cinematic ...but it comes off like more of a regular SyFy type show. I gotta keep expectations low for anything I watch now.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:39 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Me and the future Mrs S are enjoying The Shield and have just reached season 6. We're worried we're not going to find a suitable show to watch when we're done. We've seen Dexter and loved it. Any recommendations guys? Netflix or Amazon Prime only.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 pm 

Hey MrRSerling, haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well on that end.

I can't say much on Netflix or Amazon prime since I'm not a member of either.
I still do the majority of my viewing online, streaming with no commercials...its great~!

I do want to recommend a new show to some here, and its not been mentioned on this board.
Its started already over there in the UK, and I think it just started here on AMC.

HUMANS -
In a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human it's transforming the way we live.

Here is a quick glimpse of it, a teaser so it won't give too much away.

Link

This one is listed as "drama sci-fi", and thats a pretty accurate description.
It is 3 episodes in and I highly recommend it to anyone on this board.

I like to personally think many of us on this board are a cross between the "old pre-computer days, even back to the 50s and 60s", and a mix of the new computer technology driven era.
We are stuck in interesting times, between old and new, when it comes to technology, cars, phones,computers and literally everything around us. This show is playing on what may happen in the very near future, and it (thus far) has done it very well.

Seeing how the "oldschool" people are affected by the popularity of the "synth's" and how their lives are changing is fascinating.
William Hurt is great in this.
Gemma Chan is almost perfect at times, in her robotic performance, and shes cute here to boot. (those green robot eyes) :twisted:
Real humans are starting to blur the lines between caring for their "synth's" or other humans. (perhaps too much???)

I won't give away too much here, and I may open a thread for it soon.
For those among us not looking to hop on board the next multi season slow arc...... fear not, this is only 8 episodes long.
I am not even sure if they plan on doing any more, as far as I know 8 are done and are currently being aired and there may not be any plans at all for another season or more episodes.

I shied away from this one at first thinking its not quite what I was looking for, but I am glad I took the plunge.
Like most any series I try, it starts of a tiny bit slow as usual, but it quickly picks up the pace, and I can't wait for the next episode.
This third episode was just brilliant.

I am eagerly looking for anyone's opinion on this show, if you have seen it yet.

This one, is highly recommended by TZ DZ Fan. :dance:

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:25 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

HUMANS -
In a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human that AMC is able to make a sci-fi show with next to no special effects budget.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Hey MrRSerling, haven't seen you in a while, hope all is well on that end.

I can't say much on Netflix or Amazon prime since I'm not a member of either.
I still do the majority of my viewing online, streaming with no commercials...its great~!

I do want to recommend a new show to some here, and its not been mentioned on this board.
Its started already over there in the UK, and I think it just started here on AMC.

HUMANS

I'll see if I can find it. Sounds my type of thing. Got to talk the future Mrs S into it then.

Things are ok my end. A few dramas but life it clicking into place again.

whitsbrain wrote:
HUMANS -
In a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Synth' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human that AMC is able to make a sci-fi show with next to no special effects budget.

Hahahahahaha! I love it!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

MrRSerling wrote:
Me and the future Mrs S are enjoying The Shield and have just reached season 6. We're worried we're not going to find a suitable show to watch when we're done. We've seen Dexter and loved it. Any recommendations guys? Netflix or Amazon Prime only.

I like House of Cards which is a Netflix series. I recommend Game of Thrones but not sure its on either of those mediums. I enjoyed the series Fargo (premiered last year and should be back for season 2 this year, but not sure if it's on any of those either).

Good to see you around.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:34 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
lazyboyx51 wrote:

TZ DZ fan

Well the thing about UtD first and foremost is that years ago I read the book and loved it. Personally I thought it Stephen Kings best stuff in decades. (He had not written a 1000+ page book since his coked out 80s ) I thought it was a great return to form from him and Ive said it here before that it was one of the few novels I couldnt put down. So I had high expectations for the show.
I started out watching Season 1 and was mildly entertained. The problem I saw was that there were WAY to many changes from book to show. Not just changing and combing storylines and character but completely eliminating whole sections of it. You have all this source material and they ignore it. Lets not forget the fact that the creators of the show hav stretched this into multiple seasons. That translates into about 40% of actual book material. (Probably less) Which means theres alot of shite the writers have added which make it so unneccessary. It felt like they saw the book ...ripped the cover off and threw the rest in the trash...leaving jst the premise of a dome. Whats worse is SK approving it all as executive producer. I also didnt think the actors portraying the characters fit well at all. I think Under the Dome would have played much better as a TV miniseries or Made for Tv movie ...like The Stand. That was a way more faithful adaption. Scarier also. This show there is ZERO tension or drama. Somehow though the show would have its moments...making it OK but still boring and drawn out.
The reason I gave it the Axe was because it became unrecognizable. Then I missed the premiere of Season 2 and they never show replays so I was like F it. Maybe someday when the series is long over I may go back and revisit the whole thing and give it another chance. But that day is a long long ways away.

Under the Dome is Under the Dirt...where it will stay buried. Headless...because it was Whit-AXED!
Whitsbrain Axe

Pretty much agree with SVB regarding UtD. I knew it was coming back for a 3rd season just didn't know when. I have watched the start and it is still nonsense. Basically I keep it on as background simply cuz I just put too much time into it. The book is much better.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:36 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Penny Dreadful (finale this Sunday)
Defiance
Dark Matter
UtD
Wayward Pines
True Detective
Falling Skies

Still waiting on The Walking Dead spinoff, second season of The Strain, and second season of Fargo.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:44 pm 

TO SVB-
Thanks for the post.
I knew you had given up on UTD, as I had.
But I was caught up in it, and watched it every week there for a while. (actually, towards the end I waited until the season ended and watched a bunch...........then I said f@%k this show) :ROTF:

Anyway, I seriously thought this show was reported everywhere as CANCELLED, and not just us.
I was under the impression it was cancelled and was not renewed after season 2 when the ratings took a dip.
Then was it saved after early reports said it might be cancelled??? I don't know, but I really thought it was a goner. :wtf:

Regardless, I see it cranked back up, and thats why I was surprised to see it in my list on the site I stream from.
Whether or not I ever pick it back up and finish it, I don't know.
When my sci-fi shows end and I am between shows, I am often desperate to "get my fix" in so there is always the chance I go back and check it out.
Maybe in 6 months in down time I will be reporting here that I picked it back up. :clap:

TO LAZY-
Good list. As you know I watch several of the ones in your must watch list currently.

You need to check out HUMANS.
Maybe when a couple of the ones you currently are watching end. (its slated for only 8 episodes, so it won't be a massive undertaking)
We generally line up, so if you give it a crack I will be anxious for your opinions.

I too am waiting for FEAR THE WALKING DEAD, but I am really, REALLY trying to temper my expectations on it to be honest.
Its extremely hard to compare any zombie-ish current shows to the original WD. Its so generally well written, its almost unfair.
A quick comparison to Z Nation should prove that.
(actually, thats a really bad comparison, since that show is written differently and actually supposed to be much more hokey and humorous)
Which on that note- fellow board member Alsunday just watched Z Nation too, and he was not exactly enthused.
I think his words were "I don't much care if they bring it back for a second season or not".

FTWD starts next month, but I am really trying to just look at it as something that if it pops, then I will be stoked, but if not I won't be let down.

I have a few thoughts on "Falling Skies" too, but more on that later.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:30 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I thought spinoffs usually wait until the original show had ended? FTWD seems sort of to soon. Still looks cool though.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:33 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
I thought spinoffs usually wait until the original show had ended? FTWD seems sort of to soon. Still looks cool though.

I think part of the reason that the spinoff is about to take place, is that the WD fans are still very faithful and the show has maintained an extremely strong following and ratings.

If and when it falls off, then it only stands to reason the viewers would be less likely to want to see "FTWD".

Its smart business, think about this.
Most all spinoffs that we can collectively name, offshoots, "part 2's" secondary series and shows that try and "pick up where the former left off", well point blank they almost always are nowhere near as successful as the originals. (or shows that set the bar or trend)

Capitalizing on the "zombie crowd" while the show is still insanely hot, is a brilliant move. I may or may not agree with the decision to do this, but if you really think about it, the timing is right.
We give it a few more seasons, and it may die out. :dance: Pun intended. Then the secondary series would never have a chance.
By starting now, they are almost guaranteed a load of crossover viewers.

This whole FTWD idea, I'm not too keen on but the fact is, there is very little decent sci-fi in todays TV age.
I'm apt to give most things a chance, if it seems like it has SOME promise.
I'm trying very hard to keep my expectations low, so I won't be disappointed though.

The good news is, there are a few good shows going, and the past few posts of mine I have went into a couple.
I am currently high on "Dark Matter" but "HUMANS" has turned out to be very good indeed.
This last episode, well the inevitable happened between a synth and one owner. If you have been watching the show, you were probably thinking like I was in that it was going to happen at some point.
Then right at the end of the episode, one particular bombshell was dropped (or exposed in a sense), and I guarantee that no one ever saw this coming.
It took me a minute or so to figure out the significance of what had just occurred, but when I did...well I was like what is happening and why.
I certainly didn't figure it out right away.
There is a LOT of irony in this, when you consider everything that is going on currently in the series.

Anyway, I won't go into it any further for those that may soon give it a chance.

I highly recommend this one, and I don't say that about much on TV today.
Now I'm just trying to figure out if its ever going to go any further than the 8 episodes that are currently slated to air.

I haven't dug around too much on it, for fear of spoilers.
Thankfully, there is not much in the way of that online, on this show in particular.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:39 pm 

So last night, after watching "Dark Matter" I decided to try "Under the Dome" again, and I picked up where I left off.

The first episode I was like "OK cool, I see whats happening again with these characters".
Then after watching a couple of episodes, the reason I gave up on this quickly reared its ugly head yet again.

#1- Some of the acting is bad. I mean real bad. You don't really realize it until you have been watching things of higher standards.
Sure some of it is from the smaller "bit actors" but still. It seems like every Stephen King project I can ever remember has had lackluster acting. Although I am referring generally to his mini-series and MADE FOR TV SPECIAL EPIC EVENTS~!!!!, this series is pretty much just more of the same.

#2- I generally don't mind the "heroes in peril" type stories, but this is extremely overdone. They just can't get a break. Over and over bad things happen.
I also tire of people letting "bad people" get away with things.
This shite about "I'm a good person with morals, so I won't kill you this time and give you yet another chance" gets extremely old. Its happening everywhere in all types of series.
Just kill the bastard and move on. SERIOUSLY.

#3- Dead people that come back to life.
Obviously not all of this is truly dead people, but at some point that type of angle gets old.
Mysterious powers that enable people to do or see things, that never get explained...etc. etc.

There are a bunch of things that I don't much care for, and I now see yet again why I gave up on this one.

I really hate giving something so much time, and then not finishing it, but this looks like another that is going to get a secondary axe from me.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:09 pm 

Dark Matter
Humans
Defiance
Mr. Robot
Masterchef AU

A couple of new shows I have listed are decent.

Masterchef AU- Almost at the finals week, I have about 10 episodes left. A fun ride as usual.

Dark Matter- Really turning out to be a favorite of mine. I seriously hope this one is renewed when this season ends.
You can't depend on anything SYFY does (cancellation or picking up extra seasons wise anyway), barring Battlestar Galactica, but I am really enjoying this one.

Humans - I highly recommend this one to everyone here. This last episode was possibly the best thus far.
6 episodes of the entire 8 have been aired, leaving two.
But there are rumors of possible future story lines, and the talk of a second season has begun. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Mr. Robot - This one is getting rave reviews seemingly everywhere. I watched the trailer maybe 5-6 weeks back, and thought "meh". But it was fairly interesting.
The first couple of episodes were great, the last few , well I don't know if I like how "off the rails" it seems to be getting, but its been good so I will keep it up.

Defiance - Solid as always. Some turnover in the cast early this season, I didn't know I would like much, but its been really good as in past seasons. Toss in a new enemy or two to boot.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:01 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

True Detective - I'm not as happy with this season as the first. Season 1 was truly awesome; this one, I can't put my finger on it but I just can't get into it.
Falling Skies - I'm enjoying the final season.
Ray Donovan - Just a badass show. Throw in Ian F'n McShane and it's spectacular.
Masters of Sex - Only watched the first episode of the season; will continue.
The Strain - Entertaining enough to keep watching.
Under The Dome - The wreckage continues - I just can't look away, even though I'm blasé about it.
Dominion - Wasn't a fan of the first season, but my DVR still had it on schedule and so it recorded. Still not really into it but it's something to watch.
Defiance - f@%king love this show and it's characters.
Dark Matter - Still liking this one. Each episode gets better and better, more interesting.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:45 am 

There are a couple of good ones slated to crank up soon................

But before I get into all that, I mentioned offhandedly before to Lazy if he started watching "The Leftovers"....and I can't remember which thread exactly, but did you start this one again bro?

This is so eerily like a "weird, very strange" small town type thing now, I can't help but think you compare it to "Twin Peaks".
I cannot say for sure, since I didn't watch that much but I can't help but think this one is growing very similar to TP.

The first episode this season, was so "off the rails" it was hard to fathom but once you watch a couple more you should remember the old characters with no problem.
This one is truly weird, and the main character seems to have so much bad luck its almost hard to watch. Seriously, it just gets worse and worse.

I won't expand on that anymore but this last week's episode seems to lead to a very brutal end, unless something happens......

The old thread I mentioned it was here - viewtopic.php?f=177&p=60505#p60505

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:33 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

1.Star Trek - The Original Series (attempting to watch again, I never finish all three seasons)
2.Minority Report. (I have all 10 episodes recorded, plus the film on blu ray, not eager to start)
3.Z Nation (Watching the first season to catch up to season 2)
4.Art Mann Presents (Still the best show nobody has ever heard of)
5.Childhoods End (Sitting on the DVR)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:09 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:

Watched this, this week.
It was interesting once the aliens finally "revealed" themselves, but this was an overall disappointment.

There has been a bit of an uproar on this one, because of a very dark ending.
Been called "downright depressing" , and I partially agree.

Was it worth a watch? Meh. Fair, but generally a disappointment.
Seemed to have a ton of early promise, but quickly went to shite somewhere in part 2 right after the aliens revealed themselves.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:47 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

Watched this, this week.
It was interesting once the aliens finally "revealed" themselves, but this was an overall disappointment.

There has been a bit of an uproar on this one, because of a very dark ending.
Been called "downright depressing" , and I partially agree.

Was it worth a watch? Meh. Fair, but generally a disappointment.
Seemed to have a ton of early promise, but quickly went to shite somewhere in part 2 right after the aliens revealed themselves.

TZ DZ Fan

I agree with you mostly. I never read the story, but I believe the ending may have been similarly depressing, but honestly can't be sure.

I thought the first episode was interesting, and yes the big reveal was great The second night lost me; it lost its momentum. Third night was somewhere in the middle. I think they did a fair job but it could've been way better. Especially considering SyFy has had some pretty good programming lately.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:06 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

As usual way too much to watch:

TWD finished up on Sunday nights, but I have one more episode of Billions (Showtime).
Monday: Gotham (good show for FOX), Better Call Saul (friggin love this show), Bitten (final season - sort of a guilty pleasure)
Tuesday: American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ (finished up this week)
Thursday: The 100,
Friday: Sleepy Hollow, Banshee (Cinemax show just began its final season - strangely addicting, lots of violence)

Netflix: House of Cards (currently watching season 4), Daredevil (already watched seasons 1&2), Jessica Jones (already watched season 1)

Returning soon: Fear the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, 12 Monkeys

Also been watching original BSG - got the complete original series on BluRay for Christmas. Campy but actually pretty entertaining.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:28 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ultra Q - It's a 1960s Japanese Science Fiction, black and white anthology series. It ran for one season. I've had the DVDs for a couple of years but I'm dedicating myself to finishing it up now. It's not good but it's really a curiosity and I believe it provides proof of rampant drug abuse in the Far East.

I've tried watching "Penny Dreadful"...pretty dreadful.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:05 pm 

Current fare...................

Masterchef AU - Ends early next week. A great ride as usual.

Dark Matter- One of my favorites last year~! It returned and definitely returned with a bang at the end of the season 2 opener. Its been very good, with the second episode (in the prison) is probably my favorite this season.
I thought it was going to be good last year, and it really grew on me. Some less than stellar acting in a few points, but I can overlook that since its so damn few good sci-fi shows on now.

Preacher - Well, its been "good" but just not "great".
I'm frankly surprised that not anyone else has mentioned it here, but then again several of us have not been around much in recent months.

The summer sci-fi scene has been sorely lacking this year.
The absence of "Falling Skies" certainly hasn't helped.
What does a sci-fan have to do to get more solid tv????

I'm sorely missing the next installment of "Humans" , and of course, "The Walking Dead". :(
"Hard Knocks" is coming soon though, and that always kicks off the fantasy football season for me~!!

Fellow board member Alsunday has recommended Netflix's "Stranger Things" to me. He said "its right in your wheelhouse". I may give it a whirl soon.

TZ DZ Fan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next