Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:53 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I know LazyBoyX51 had a thread sometime back, entitled "The Dead Zone and 4400 R.I.P.", but I wasn't sure if we had a similar general thread around here, and after searching, I didn't see one.
So ----

Recently, I had gotten into a new show... Stargate Universe, or "SGU".

The last few weeks I had really been enjoying this one, as it had elements of several shows I have traditionally liked over the years, namely Stargate SG-1, and it had heavy overtones of Battlestar Galactica.
Well, tonight I was informed by fellow board member Alsunday, that out of nowhere, this show was cancelled abruptly.
Note that I didn't care as much for the other Stargate shows, only the original "SG-1" and this newest version.

Upon reflecting about all the other countless shows we tend to have liked as a group that have been cancelled, I feel it appropriate that we have a "graveyard thread".
Here we can list all the many shows that have been cancelled before their time, or dropped unjustly.

At the very least it might give me some ideas of a few shows to go back and get a glimpse at online, over the holidays.

Several that immediately come to mind for me are.......

The Dead Zone - 6 seasons was a brilliant run, but it noticeably declined over the last couple of seasons.
Couple that with a "not so well handled" ending???, and that meets the requirements for me.

The 4400 - Yet again more solid science fiction. Another that deterioriated after a few good seasons, and the plug shouldn't have been pulled on this one without a proper ending.

Jericho - This started off for me, as one I watched on a "whim" after reading about it from other board members. Really got kicking after a few episodes. Saved one time from early death by overwhelming viewer support and a massive mail-in campaign. After a short second season, it finally bit the dust..........but at least we had a semblance of an ending.

Nowhere Man - One very strong season, that really got interesting during the latter half. Not the overall appeal of some shows admittedly, but a personal favorite of mine. Cancelled quickly after one season.

Battlestar Galactica - Here is the one that got all the attention. The first couple of seasons were (in my humble opinion) some of the best viewing that I have ever seen on modern tv. It did tend to go downhill a bit, and get slightly muddled with various arcs after the first couple of seasons. I think this was partly because of dissention between the two main writers/producers. This was pretty widely known, even before it ended. Slick readers will note that only one half of the team in question is involved in the current BSG project.

There are quite a few others, but I will let some of you chime in here with a few.

:sparkle: SPECIAL ALERT :sparkle: board members!
There are three main enemies to intelligent TV in todays world. These are the networks that are known as "SYFY" , "FOX" , and "USA Network".
Any and all solid shows that start off on these networks are almost doomed to failure from the start.
Most heinous is FOX, who tends to jerk them off the air with no notice. A valid argument about USA Network could be made as well.
Because there is little to no, good and intelligent programming on television these days, its difficult to outright boycott these bumbling networks, but trust me, I never, ever watch any of these networks unless something truly special is on. (such as one of the above mentioned shows)

It seems as though "Fringe" will now suffer a similar fate, although its rather early in the process of dying. Apparently, the ratings have never been stellar on this one anyway.

This recent liking of SGU, just reminded me of all the good ones that have been cancelled. I haven't really decided that this SGU is among my favorites, but it certainly had potential. :x

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:09 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I've heard SGU is very good, darker than previous installments -- a recommendation from someone I know through my job. I have yet to see the show, but will try finding time to check it out in the future.

I will add the wonderful shows Carnivale (2 seasons) and Deadwood (3 seasons) to this list. Both shows were canceled without true, wrapped up endings. There were always stories circling about a Deadwood movie (either in theaters or on HBO) but nothing ever surfaced. Carnivale, in a small way, could technically be considered "wrapped up", but the writers did leave an open ending that would've allowed for a 3rd season. You most never see cable networks canceling shows "before their time", but production costs and lower ratings (in comparison to other shows) forced their hands to pull the plug to my dismay.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:14 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Primarily my reason for not watching tv shows any longer. The most inane and stupid shows last season after season whereas the intelligent and creative shows are shown the doors early in their life cycle.

Question for our UK members - has "Whitechapel," "Being Human," or "Sherlock" returned to the airwaves yet?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Cold Case for me. It deserved a proper ending. At least it did manage to last 7 seasons though. Still Standing was cancelled early, but got to do a decent finale. Same with the US version of Life on Mars. The Fugitive (2000) and Dark Angel are two more that spring to mind and Titus was cancelled too early.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:41 pm 

Anthony wrote:
... Same with the US version of Life on Mars.

Watch the BBC version at all?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:53 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I haven't yet had the chance. I've only seen some of the American version as well. Michael Imperioli was on this one too, so if Detroit 1-8-7 gets cancelled, that'll end up being two high quality yet failed shows he would end up on. I've read some plot summaries on tv.com and it sounds like a really cool show, very well written. Are you a fan? I heard the UK version had a way better ending. Seemed like they went way more direct and simplistic with the US version.

Oh yeah and one thing I forgot to add in this great topic is that for me, unfortunately, it would be a much shorter list if I mentioned favorite shows of mine that actually DID last long enough to get proper endings which, since 2000, has been pretty scarce for me. :(

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:45 pm 

Life on Mars UK was a great show - huge fan. Its follow-up, Ashes to Ashes was also very creative.

Like most everything else, the US versions dumbed down bot the characters and the plots - shame really.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:13 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So did you like the ending of the UK version? Did it explain everything? I heard it's one of those one might have to look up online or understand with repeated viewings. But the series was wrapped up though right?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:08 am 

No, It didn't explain everything but it did wrap up nicely. It flows into Ashes to Ashes - the 2nd part of the series - which does explain everything upon its conclusion.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:47 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh you mean the UK version, yeah I heard about that. I thought you meant the American version didn't wrap everything up for some reason. It basically took a more literal approach.

Speaking of UK, I hear the UK version of The Office is way better. You guys agree? Probably because it only lasted two seasons and wasn't run into the ground like they're doing with the American version. Steve Carell is very funny too though IMO. I'll try and provide a list of my favorite shows that got proper finales and maybe a few that didn't. I keep an all-time favorites list in a Word document, because it's gotten quite long over the years as I start to like a few more shows here and there in recent years so I'll post some more on this when I get a chance to look over the list again.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
DrMoreau wrote:
Primarily my reason for not watching tv shows any longer. The most inane and stupid shows last season after season whereas the intelligent and creative shows are shown the doors early in their life cycle.

Question for our UK members - has "Whitechapel," "Being Human," or "Sherlock" returned to the airwaves yet?

Sherlock is returning in April (I think) :)

Another show called Marchlands is starting tonight on ITV. Looks rather good. Seems to be about a house haunted by a little girl. I'll know more by tomorrow :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 pm 

Good to hear, MrRSerling.

I haven't watched the American Version of "Being Human." I figured they used the same scripts, dumbed it down, and have an American cast.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:00 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Is the new Sherlock Holmes series Sherlock on in the US? I heard it was good.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:28 am 

On BBC America for a while. There was only 3 ~ 4 episodes for a season/series. It is out on DVD.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:56 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Sweet thanks. I might add this one to my favorites list.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:56 am 

Well, I see we have some more primetime shows that are possibly getting the axe...........

This early article I just stumbled across may shed some light.
:x NOTE THE REFERENCE TO FRINGE

------------------------------------------------------

It’s not too early to begin wondering: Which of your favorite shows are in danger of cancellation? Network execs are already sifting through producers’ pitches for next season’s new shows, and taking a look at the ratings for their existing series as they begin planning the new fall lineups they’ll announce in May.

The result of that process: Something’s gotta give. Will it be one of your faves? Check out our list of endangered shows, which we compiled from our own analysis of the numbers:

Mondays:----
“Chuck” (NBC): Look, we love Zachary Levi and the gang from “Chuck” as much as anyone, but you have to wonder how long NBC can continue to tolerate this show’s mediocre ratings (5.478 million total viewers this past Monday) and, even worse for demo-crazed NBC, its subpar delivery of 18-49s.

“The Cape” (NBC): See “Chuck” above, only “The Cape” is doing worse. One thing you can say about “Chuck”: Now in its fourth season, it’s at least been around long enough for some people to have really fallen in love with it. Not so for “The Cape.” Don’t hold your breath waiting for “The Cape” to be renewed.

Tuesdays:---
“No Ordinary Family,” “V” and, possibly, “Detroit 1-8-7” (ABC): Michael Chiklis and his super-powered family better figure out a way to get the ratings up for “No Ordinary Family” or it’s a goner. Each of these three shows drew fewer than 5.5 million viewers this week, which doesn’t bode well. However, the gritty, urban “Detroit 1-8-7” could work if its lead-ins weren’t science fiction. If ABC can find a way to schedule it on a night with other cop shows -– “Castle” perhaps –- it could get a reprieve.

“Parenthood” (NBC): With 5.11 million viewers in its most recent outing this week, this show is not delivering. The problem? Well, changing this family’s name from “Buckman” –- as they were called in the original Steve Martin movie –- to “Braverman” for the TV show could be a factor, but that’s just our personal opinion.

Wednesdays:---

“Off the Map” (ABC): This jungle-based medical drama from “Grey’s Anatomy” producer Shonda Rhimes isn’t catching on. Maybe it’s one prime-time medical soap opera too many. Or maybe it’s just not compatible with the ABC sitcoms that precede it.

Thursdays:---

“Community,” “Perfect Couples,” “Parks & Recreation,” “30 Rock,” “Outsourced” (NBC): The question for NBC on Thursdays remains: Do you stick with this relatively low-rated slate of comedies or jettison some or all of them? Certainly, “Outsourced” and the newer “Perfect Couples” are the most likely of them to get the boot before next fall, but can you believe that the vaunted, award-winning, critically acclaimed “30 Rock” at 10 p.m./9c drew only 4.59 million viewers its last time out? If you’re NBC, you can always make the case for continuing to remain in business with the likes of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. As for “Community,” it’s an on-the-bubble show if there ever was one.

Fridays:---
“Fringe” (Fox): Now seen on Fridays, “Fringe” attracted just 3.74 million viewers its last time out. Is this enough to save a show this expensive to produce?

“The Defenders” and “CSI: New York” (CBS): Both of these shows were recently shifted to Fridays, where TV audiences are generally smaller –- which was not exactly a sign that CBS retains confidence in them. Not too long ago, “The Defenders” seemed so promising. And CBS has never cancelled a “CSI” –- yet. However, both of these shows have targets on their backs.

What can you do? Well, if you’re a Nielsen household, start watching these shows more. If you’re not, start praying.

----------------------------------------------

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:27 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DAMNIT, and I really like that Tuesday night lineup on ABC. Figures, always the stuff I like the most is unpopular, like the prime rib sandwhich at Subway or the sesame bread at Blimpie. Mall Cop was the number one movie even though I thought Observe and Report was WAY funnier. I guess I'm just not a good indicator of what's popular. Odds are if I like it, it might not be around anymore and if I really like or even love it, then odds are it's on the way out. CDs, sidescrolling arcade and console video games and a lot of TV shows.

Fringe is a really cool show and at least Fox is promoting the hell out of it. Most shows I really like get hardly any promotion and then disappear. Community, Parks and Recreation and 30 Rock area really funny IMO. I thought Community was more popular too. It's one of those shows you can already preorder from Amazon before a release date for Season 2 has even been announced yet. Usually they only do that for the more popular shows. How are people not watching 30 Rock or Parks and Rec? WTF is wrong with the viewing public? I guess they'd rather laugh at douchebags embarrasing themselves on a reality show than a smartly written scripted comedy. A smart, funny, quirkly show like Community should never be on the bubble. Anybody else here watch that show? Not only are the actors really good and the characters funny, likeable and well-defined, but Chevy Chase is really funny on it. In the last episode, he pretended to be dying, or rather his character Pierce was, as a way to get back at everyone for not including him in their activities. But, of course, they didn't include him in stuff because he was acting like a jerk, which he does again in this episode lol. Pierce was bequeathing things to people. The best one was when he got Levar Burton to show up at the hospital to meet Troy, whose a big fan of his. At one point, he sings the theme song to Reading Rainbow, I think Britta does too later. Abed decides to make a documentary about the whole experience. If you've never watched the show, it's about a study group at a community college.

I wouldn't feel too bad if CSI: New York was cancelled though. That franchise has run its course IMO, I'm surprised the original CSI has lasted this long, as much as I like all the CSIs.

So now I guess, just like with the original series, V fans will be left hanging AGAIN and stuck without an ending. If this is true about Fringe, they should just end it this season. Why don't networks just let producers know they're going to cancel a show so they can end it? Why does every network exec have to be such a douche?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:58 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
lazyboyx51 wrote:
I've heard SGU is very good, darker than previous installments -- a recommendation from someone I know through my job. I have yet to see the show, but will try finding time to check it out in the future.

I will add the wonderful shows Carnivale (2 seasons) and Deadwood (3 seasons) to this list. Both shows were canceled without true, wrapped up endings. There were always stories circling about a Deadwood movie (either in theaters or on HBO) but nothing ever surfaced. Carnivale, in a small way, could technically be considered "wrapped up", but the writers did leave an open ending that would've allowed for a 3rd season. You most never see cable networks canceling shows "before their time", but production costs and lower ratings (in comparison to other shows) forced their hands to pull the plug to my dismay.

Just got around to finishing up Deadwood and was sad to hear that it ended without closure. Always hate when shows go that route. Didn't find out until today either. Was thinking all three seasons ended with a wrapup. Unfortunate to say the least.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:37 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

For those interested (I forgot to post earlier)

Torchwood will be starting back up in the UK very soon (July). Also, Luther started back up this week but it is just a 4 episode story arc.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:37 pm 

Good to know on Torchwood. :D

Any word on Sherlock?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:11 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

DAMMIT, they cancelled

Star TrekImage

Twilight ZoneImage

The Outer LimitsImage

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:57 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:

Any word on Sherlock?

Nothing yet, I'd expect something new year. I'll keep you updated.

I'm still disappointed about them cancelling Survivors :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:36 pm 

MrRSerling wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:

Any word on Sherlock?

Rorschach knows a bit more on this, we were talking about it a few weeks back but I can't remember.

MrRSerling wrote:

^^ I am still steaming over this one. :~} Easily in my top 5 cancelled shows of all time.
Give us a bit of closure damnit!

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

MrRSerling wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:

Any word on Sherlock?

Yeah, I enjoyed Survivors too. I was thinking of it the other day, wishing a new season would've been coming.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:39 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

No Ordinary Family

V, in fact both versions of V left fans hanging, although the Final Battle mini-series was originally the ending to the original story, before that one became a series, but still kind of sucks.

Cold Case, this one was great and deserved a proper ending, they could've done a finale too after 7 years.

Reaper, too bad we didn't get to see Sam figure out a way to get out of his contract with the Devil.

The Fugitive (2000 version) one of the few great remakes on TV, Tim Daly was excellent in the lead. Definitely deserved better.

Many others. The worst part about these shows are it's like watching a movie without getting to see the ending. Very unsatisfying. :x

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 pm 

TERRA NOVA CANCELLED??

Is it, or isn't it..............

I never got around to watching this one, as it just didn't seem my cup of tea.
There was a bit of talk around here on it though, so I figured this would be of interest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03/ 5/2012 11:35 pm

Ouch, this one's gotta hurt. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox has pulled the plug on its insanely costly, Steven Spielberg-produced sci-fi drama "Terra Nova". As the story goes, the long-anticipated pilot alone cost a staggering $20 million to produce.

Though it may be painful to some, the "Terra Nova" cancellation is certainly not a surprise. As HuffPost TV's critic Maureen Ryan wrote after the first season finale in December, "'Terra Nova' will go down as one of the biggest misfires in television history. What a waste this expensive Fox show was, not just of money, but of potential."

The ratings for "Terra Nova" seemed to fit into bubble territory for a while. The show was averaging just below 10 million viewers and earned an average 3.6 rating among adults in the key 18-49 demographic, according to Zap2It.com. But the numbers steadily declined and the two-hour finale reached a series low. Of course, some true fans already had their "Terra Nova" petitions ready. When "Terra Nova" met its fate on Mon., March 5, the Sci Fi Congress' petition was inching towards 10,000 signatures.

In December, "Terra Nova" star Jason O'Mara seemed positive about the show's renewal and in January, Fox boss Kevin Reilly spoke at the Television Critics Association’s press tour about "Terra Nova's" future. "We'll decide very soon, because it does need to get back into production in the next month,” Reilly said, according to TVLine. “If [it doesn't come back], we made money on it [and] the audience enjoyed it."

"Terra Nova's" first season came to an end on Dec. 19, 2011 and the finale was tailored to work as either a season finale or series finale. The season-long feud between father and son was decided and any remaining mysteries may have to be solved in fans' imaginations ... but maybe not.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Terra Nova's" studio, 20th Century Fox TV, will attempt to shop the series to other networks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:49 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Mean
It has to be a pure cost issue. They have already cancelled a fairly well liked House which was getting decent, though not huge numbers, in this season strictly because the production company refused to lower its price on the show to make it more economically feasible. Them cancelling a show that was doing reasonably well ratings because of an outrageous budget isn't a surprise.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah but House will be ending after 8 seasons so at least they had time to properly end the series. I liked House, not a fan of Terra Nova, though I always thought Stephen Lang was a great character actor, ever since I saw him in some low budget action movie from the '80s, I believe it was called Band of the Hand? And then again later loved him as the One Armed Man in the revived Fugitive series with Tim Daly. The two of them were great in scenes they had together. Not interested in this or Avatar though.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:15 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Oh yeah and if I haven't already mentioned it here for this thread, Cold Case. It lasted 7 seasons, but I heard the season finale was not planned as a series finale, so that one pissed me off.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well now I can add Go On to the cancelled shows I liked that is gone too soon.

I'll still be watching New Girl in that time slot and The Cleveland Show is gone, but there's still Family Guy and American Dad for Seth McFarlane fans. Community was surprisingly renewed by NBC. Maybe it will get a series finale after all. I hope it does. The season 4 finale would've worked pretty well as a finale if the show had been cancelled though. First no Dan Harmon, who created the show, now no Chevy Chase. I just hope it survives to have a good ending.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:14 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Sapphire and Steel

Doomwatch (with many missing episodes)

UFO

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:32 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Victorious on Nickelodeon, but I won't feel as bad if the final 2 seasons ever get released on DVD. Hopefully Sam and Cat will be a bigger hit.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:19 pm 

‘Defiance’ Canceled By Syfy After 3 Seasons

http://deadline.com/2015/10/defiance-ca ... 201585494/

I knew it was on the fence a couple months ago, but it was being "debated".
Alsunday informed me of this earlier, I'm bummed.

One of the few shows SYFY was getting right now bites the dust.

In other news- looks like a massive cutting by SYFY.
Dominion, Defiance, Continuum, Haven and even more are being axed. :wtf:

Looks like they are pushing everything onto the one I have been touting for a year now, The Expanse.
Childhood's End is another, but thats a "limited series" for whatever that means.

Really bad news to hear there will be no more Defiance. :(

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:25 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

fuuuuuuuck!

That really disappoints to hear. Defiance was a show I really enjoyed; loved when it came on each summer, always looked forward to it.

Not too surprised about Dominion; I never got into that but when it automatically began DVRing for the second season, it was a show I followed through, playing in the background.

I just can't believe no more Defiance....there's a hole in my entertainment realm :cry:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:20 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Ive noticed SYFY is showing more movies over TV shows lately as well....(as well as reality shows) could be a big shift away from actual episodic sci-fi type shows.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:38 pm 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

cartoon Dungeons and dragons 1983-1985
cartoon wile coyote vs road runner [classic series]
PBS Sherlock holmes
:bell: :bell: :sparkle: :sparkle: :cry: :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:57 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

noman wrote:
cartoon Dungeons and dragons 1983-1985
cartoon wile coyote vs road runner [classic series]
PBS Sherlock holmes
:bell: :bell: :sparkle: :sparkle: :cry: :cry:

are you referring to the BBC Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett?
I think they concluded the series (every story) thus put it to bed. (plus I think Mr. Brett passed away)

how about the new BBC Sherlock? didn't like the most recent series but some of the previous were great.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

it was long long ago but...Kolchak!
only one year.
I read somewhere they wanted extended multi-episode arcs for Janos Skorzeny (and maybe others).

the 'remake' with the townsend boy was execrable and had nothing to do with REAL Kolchak.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm 

sailorsam wrote:
it was long long ago but...Kolchak!
only one year.

I have some of the older TV series including Kolchak The Night Stalker on DVD. Unfortunately when you start to view all of them especially towards the end you kinda see why they were cancelled. I loved Carl Kolchak though.