Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hollywood Treasure
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:37 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Anybody watch a show on SyFy called Hollywood Treasure. They find valuable collectibles, comics and movie memorabilia, including props, statues, pieces of furniture, clothing and they estimate the value of items and try to sell them at auctions. That is, if a collector is willing to part with that particular item. So far I've seen them sell props from Willy Wonka, Terminator, Miracle on 34th Street, Planet of the Apes and Back to the Future. Pretty cool show if you're a movie fan.

Post subject: Re: Hollywood Treasure
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:21 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I've seen several episodes. I think the first one I watched - in November of last year - featured Stan Lee and some old original Jack Kirby artwork from Fantastic Four #12 (circa 1963). This wasn't part of the auctions which wrap up each episode. All that happened was that this artwork was presented and then taken to Stan Lee at a convention so that he could authenticate it. (It almost certainly was actual Kirby artwork but if Lee is available, why not have him look at it?). That's one thing I like about this show - they throw this kind of stuff in there even if there is no auction around it at the end.

I grew up reading Marvel Comics. The sixties stuff by Lee & Kirby, especially the FF run, are the best. So, now I'm watching Stan Lee on Hollywood Treasure looking over the artwork from FF #12 and making his comments about it. I'm watching, in a sense, more history being made as Lee slowly pores over the pages, trying to jog his bad memory. But, he did remember enuff. It was mentioned that this particular artwork was 'The Holy Grail' of original comics artwork. (the story, btw, in the comic book was the first meeting of the FF team and the Hulk).

It's an interesting show - more for movie and sci-fi buffs, I guess. What I described above was a bit unusual since the show usually features movie props, costumes - that type of memorabilia. But, you can never be sure of what they may include in an episode. It's like a treasure hunt and, as with some things in life, the hunt may be more exciting than the actual find - but the found items are still very interesting.

Post subject: Re: Hollywood Treasure
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:26 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Yes the hunt can be more exciting. Like in the episode where they mention a pair of the Judy Garland ruby slippers being in the Smithsonian and another pair used in The Wizard of Oz movie that was robbed from a Judy Garland museum that they unsuccessfully tried to find. Speaking of never being sure, in one episode they auctioned off original promo art and one sheets from some of the first horror anthology books ever written, I forget the titles and they had on Stan Winston's son and son-in-law consigning classic Winston props from movies like the Terminator movies and Jurassic Park, Aliens stuff, whatever they could find and authenticate they could have, because the guys wanted to open a school for aspiring movie props and effects people. Other favorites from what I've seen include a guy that looked like Santa Claus, named Claus that gave up an actual toy Santa with sleigh used in the original Miracle on 34th Street, Debbie Reynolds giving away movie used clothing, which she wanted to use to open some kind of movie history museum that somehow never got off the ground and my favorite so far has been where they got props from collectors and Bob Gale himself to auction off from Back to the Future, including a Delorean replica, several prop newspapers and a hoverboard to raise money for Fox's parkinson's research foundation.