Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
In a bit of current bit of downtime here, with the Olympics screwing up some viewing.
Not to mention I am in between a few of the shows I enjoy as well.

What am I looking for...........?

Something sci-fi oriented. Most of you tend to know my preferences, and I am looking for a series I can pick up and latch onto for a few weeks.

Normally about this time of year, I tend to go back and look at some of my perennial favorites.
Just went back through "Survivors", so thats out.
Also not interested in going back and watching some older classics, or else I'd look up a few Thrillers.
(I certainly enjoy the classics, but I go through spells, and looking to stay a bit more modern currently)

I may jump back into Stargate:Universe. :dance:
That was a great one, and I only saw most of those once.

Heard great things on Twin Peaks, but never dove in.
I would finally get going on X-Files, but its too many seasons to get into currently.
(yeah I never watched it, start bitching at me now) ;)

Any help is appreciated, and if someone is looking for any ideas, I can probably help them also. (or our other brothers here can) :twisted:

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
I recommend Twin Peaks -- it's short (only 2 seasons, and season one is a short one). Also, go with Twin Peaks if you're in the mood for quirky weirdness and somewhat cheesy early 90s tv.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
Did you ever get into Firefly? The library has that to check out and you can also get the movie Serenity as a follow up or watch it first.

Another one that has me interested is the TNT series Perception with Eric McCormack (Will & Grace)plays Dr. Daniel Pierce, a neuroscientist and professor recruited to help the federal government crack difficult cases. Kinda reminds me of Fringe which is a good thing. You can catch up on TNT.com it is a summer series so there won't be very many of those.

Also, enjoying Falling Skies and you can catch up with those on tnt.com as well.....

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Red Dwarf. Comedy sci-fi and funny as f**k. The first season or two (6 30-minutes episodes per season) is a little lame but it's just starting out. Once it's warmed up, you go from a laugh every few minutes to a laugh every minute. Classic!

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:52 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah Falling Skies I hear is good. Maybe Wilfred, about a guy who sees a dog as a sentient being even though nobody else can, talks to him, befriends him and they help out each other. It was originally an Australian show that lasted 2 seasons, now there is an American version on FX currently running season 2 this summer. Sorta sci-fi/fantasy there. I've heard good things about Grimm, but not a fan. Maybe Tower Prep if you haven't seen it, sort of The X-Men meets The Prisoner about teens taken to a prep school because they all have unique abilites. Like Prisoner, they spend the series trying to find ways to escape. Strange Days At Blake Holsey High was about weird goings on at a Canadian prep school, with sci-fi problems solved using real science, had some time travel in a few episodes and an enemy trying to control all the energy in the world in order to control time. You could probably find it on Youtube or Ioffer. Masters of Science Fiction is worth checking out or Masters of Horror if you haven't seen those yet. Psych has main characters that are sci-fi and pop culture fans, but it's more of a mystery/comedy show, worth checking out though, they even did a Twin Peaks tribute episode and I'm hearing plans of a possible Back to the Future tribute. It also has '80s icons guest starring, like William Devane, Carl Weathers, Phylicia Rashad, Ernie Hudson and Tom Wilson, etc. in it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:13 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I don't understand. How can you watch Survivor twice!!!!...and even rewatch SGU and not watch the X-Files? :o

Watched "The Thing" yet? It'll take you all of two hours. How about some other Sci-Fi movies that you will like. "Sunshine", "Pitch Black", "Outlander", "Serenity", "The Prestige".

You could watch some good recent filicks like "No Country For Old Men", "There Will Be Blood", "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".

You like anthology TV. Why don't you watch a few movies? They're like little short stories and you don't have to spend months watching a something only to find out they cancelled it before a proper ending could be filmed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:04 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
I don't understand. How can you watch Survivor twice!!!!...and even rewatch SGU and not watch the X-Files? :o

Watched "The Thing" yet? It'll take you all of two hours. How about some other Sci-Fi movies that you will like. "Sunshine", "Pitch Black", "Outlander", "Serenity", "The Prestige".

You could watch some good recent filicks like "No Country For Old Men", "There Will Be Blood", "Rise of the Planet of the Apes".

You like anthology TV. Why don't you watch a few movies? They're like little short stories and you don't have to spend months watching a something only to find out they cancelled it before a proper ending could be filmed.

I'll answer a few posts here, but starting with whits quote............. :dance:

I watched more movies when I was younger, but I don't like them as much as some shows. I won't watch any of the newer "Apes" movies, until I go back and see the originals.
(which I had the original spoiled long ago, and I have never seen it) :x
I have seen "Pitch Black" btw.
I go through spells with movies really, maybe 1-2 times a year I will watch a few, then I won't sit through any for a long time.
I started watching one (on stagevu) when I was laid up after double hernia surgery, early this year, but fell asleep and never even finished it. (some crap called "The Long Road" or something)
I must admit I am a bit jealous of your own home setup, as I know you are a bit of a techno-geek with audio and video, and I am sure you have a nice setup for viewing home movies.
Didn't you say you were gonna post pics at some point??? maybe not..... That undoubtedly helps, as mostly I end up watching movies on my computer, instead of downstairs on the big screen.
(still don't have a Blu-Ray player either, don't chuckle)

The reason I haven't started X-Files, as its not something I can watch in a few weeks. Wasn't that like 9 seasons??? Often before bed I can watch 2+ episodes of something, but that would still take a while.
I was looking more for something I could finish in 2 weeks tops.

If you want the whole truth, I am planning on starting it nearer to Christmas, when I don't have many favorites on at that time either.

I do plan on watching "Serenity", just haven't gotten around to it.
(yes woodrow, I HAVE seen Firefly too. It was ok, but a little more on the light side, see below)

To counter some other points............
"Red Dwarf" is something Rorschach is also high on, but it looks a bit too lighthearted for me.
Not that I may not enjoy it, but I don't care for the light stuff really.
And anything even remotely viewed as "comedy" is certainly not in my wheelhouse.
I may carry on a bit here on the boards and such, but I just don't like comedy much, not on tv anyway.

All caught up on "Falling Skies". Sad that it will be ending soon,at least for the summer.

Many may wonder, how I can rewatch shows, while not delving into others.....
Maybe I'm the one thats got the problem there. :twisted:
I can't begin to list how many shows I have started, then ultimately gave up on, often only 2-3 episodes in. "THE EVENT" comes directly to mind.
I have always classified myself as obsessive-compulsive, long before it was a trendy term. ;)

Perhaps its easier for me to justify rewatching something I know and can count on to be enjoyed, than to take the plunge and try a new show. Especially when so many are just bullshit to begin with.

Its possibly like you may not want to start a new show, not even knowing if it will have a definitive ending. Often its more about the journey for me, if that makes sense. In fact it appears as though you may have given up any new tv altogether.
God knows I didn't think BSG had the greatest of endings, (or final season or two) but some of the earlier seasons are infinitely re-watchable in my book.

Then again, maybe I'm just too f@%king picky. :ROTF:

The responses here have been great guys, and maybe this thread can help quite a few of us.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:24 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I am just giving you a hard time, TZ. I wish I wasn't such a naysayer with TV series. I even gave up on "Fringe" because I got impatient with the story. Truth be told, the "X-Files" is a very good show but the long story-arc, spread over nine seasons really loses its way. I was attracted by the storyarc initially, but the monster-of-the-week stories became my preference by about the fourth season. I still haven't finished watching all nine seasons of the show. I am currently at the tail end of season seven.

My home theater doesn't have a projector or anything exotic. I could never justify spending that kind of money. I think my home theater setup is nice but it's relatively modest. I just did buy a 50" Panasonic plasma this week and I've plopped it into the theater. Other than that, it's equipped with a PS3, an Apple TV2, a mid-range Pioneer AVR and a nice Bowers and Wilkins 5:1 speaker setup.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Wait, so you're not even going to watch and see the final season of Fringe? Don't you want to know how it ends?

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:12 am 

whitsbrain wrote:
I am just giving you a hard time, TZ. I wish I wasn't such a naysayer with TV series. I even gave up on "Fringe" because I got impatient with the story.

My home theater doesn't have a projector or anything exotic. I could never justify spending that kind of money. I think my home theater setup is nice but it's relatively modest. I just did buy a 50" Panasonic plasma this week and I've plopped it into the theater. Other than that, it's equipped with a PS3, an Apple TV2, a mid-range Pioneer AVR and a nice Bowers and Wilkins 5:1 speaker setup.

Pics or it didn't happen. (as we say on another board I frequent)

You aren't much of a story arc person it seems, even in your favorite shows. (X-Files seems to be one)

By the way, you mentioned "Survivor", when the actual show I mean is "SURVIVORS".
I point this out not to be a monkey or smart-ass, but for another reason......There is a difference.
You know I like a few reality shows........Masterchef Australia anyone? :) , but I am not thinking of the "Survivor"/reality one, but instead the BBC show "Survivors".
I am betting you have seen the latter. It is here on the board.
If you haven't seen it yet, shame.

BTW, I have a 50 inch Samsung DLP downstairs, with an "el cheapo" Sony surround sound.
I won't say I am disappointed, but I was expecting a bit more from you bro. :twisted:
Knowing the tech geek you are, I was almost expecting you to have kicked the wife and kids out of a one room , and use it exclusively for "man-cave'' movie entertainment.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Anthony wrote:
Wait, so you're not even going to watch and see the final season of Fringe? Don't you want to know how it ends?

I will watch it once I know it has an actual ending. That's the wonders of DVD and streaming video.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:
I am just giving you a hard time, TZ. I wish I wasn't such a naysayer with TV series. I even gave up on "Fringe" because I got impatient with the story.

Pics or it didn't happen. (as we say on another board I frequent)

You aren't much of a story arc person it seems, even in your favorite shows. (X-Files seems to be one)

By the way, you mentioned "Survivor", when the actual show I mean is "SURVIVORS".
I point this out not to be a monkey or smart-ass, but for another reason......There is a difference.
You know I like a few reality shows........Masterchef Australia anyone? :) , but I am not thinking of the "Survivor"/reality one, but instead the BBC show "Survivors".
I am betting you have seen the latter. It is here on the board.
If you haven't seen it yet, shame.

BTW, I have a 50 inch Samsung DLP downstairs, with an "el cheapo" Sony surround sound.
I won't say I am disappointed, but I was expecting a bit more from you bro. :twisted:
Knowing the tech geek you are, I was almost expecting you to have kicked the wife and kids out of a one room , and use it exclusively for "man-cave'' movie entertainment.

TZ DZ Fan

I was born with a frugal streak, what can I tell you. The smart money is on paying off your mortgage 10 years early. :dance:

My wife never uses the man-cave. It is basically mine and my son's.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

not sure if you watched it but i really enjoyed Awake with jason isaacs. it just lasted one season but it pulled me in, ending was okay.

i also watch and like Alphas on scifi channel (i won't spell it any other way). the second season just started a couple of weeks ago.

i watch Grimm (someone else mentioned this). it's okay and i will be watching the second season which started this week.

not scifi but i really like Breaking Bad on amc. Bryan Cranston is awesome. also Justified on fx is really good.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
American Horror Story ...

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:34 am 
Stamp Collector
Stamp Collector

DrMoreau wrote:
American Horror Story ...

yes.. i left that off my list

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:24 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

So TZ DZ fan, are you planning on watching anything new or anything suggested here?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:24 am 

Anthony wrote:
So TZ DZ fan, are you planning on watching anything new or anything suggested here?

The one that stands out is X-Files. That is definitely one I will get to, but not just yet.

Another one you guys are high on is "Twin Peaks", so that will most likely get seen in short order also.

Been a bit crazy here the last few days, travelling playing poker, you know .... real life shite.

Also trying to come back from a nasty case of tendonitis in my left arm.
Had to quit lifting for a month.
This injury bullshit is really starting to get old. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes and as we are all getting old as well. Let me know what you think of Twin Peaks. I could never get into it. I loved the homage Psych did to it too called Dual Spires about 2 years ago, with original cast members from the show. After you see it, check out the tribute, you might like that as well. I believe I posted it in another thread.

When you say lifting, do you mean in general or lifting weights?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:04 am 

Anthony wrote:
Yes and as we are all getting old as well. Let me know what you think of Twin Peaks. I could never get into it. I loved the homage Psych did to it too called Dual Spires about 2 years ago, with original cast members from the show. After you see it, check out the tribute, you might like that as well. I believe I posted it in another thread.

When you say lifting, do you mean in general or lifting weights?

Lifting weights/training.

I just started again last week, but my gimpy left elbow is not being very nice.
I can't seem to shake this tendonitis. Been wearing sleeves and straps the doctors reccomended.

I have lifted alot in spurts over the years, and really got jacked last year, but then due to injuries and then surgery, had a 9 month layoff and lost about 30 pounds of muscle. :x

Sucks to get in a good routine and seem some decent growth, then have to put the breaks on.

I'm about to check out the finale of Falling Skies, and I will hit this thread up again Monday evening.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:54 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ever try physical therapy? It's done wonders for my lower back and psyatic nerve pain.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:25 am 

Anthony wrote:
Ever try physical therapy? It's done wonders for my lower back and psyatic nerve pain.

I had a severe impingement last year in my right shoulder, that caused me to abandon lifting weights for the majority of that 9 month period. (the hernia surgery was the rest)

I know ALL about therapy, and after poor medical advice by a doctor I changed my therapy routine, and hours and hours of my own designed therapy helped much more.
Its not 100% but its getting much closer and I have returned to lifting.

This tendonitis was a kink in my current plans.
I actually continued to work through it for many weeks,(not knowing exactly what it was) and it slowly got worse until I had to stop lifting again.
(I got clearance to lift again after 4-5 weeks off, and started last Tuesday btw)
Most tendonitis cases pretty much heal on their own, and resistance therapy and excessive movement actually slow the healing process in many cases. (think about this, its essentially continually working an inflamed area) Its another reason why tendonitis is such a bitch and slow to heal quite often. People don't stop using their arms just because of some simple pain unless it gets unbearable.

That said, therapy has helped me a few times in my life with other issues, and sciatic nerve problems was one. That was about 10-11 years ago.

In other news, I did watch the Falling Skies finale last night.
It was decent, but nothing special, and they opened the door for another season, and they even said "Falling Skies 2013".

I won't get into it here as not to spoil it, but it was fair enough.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:33 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Physical therapy -- that's right....damn skippy. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Ah, so at least one more season of Falling Skies/ Okay cool. Yeah, someone let me know here when it ends and I promise I'll then start watching that show from the beginning. I've liked the ads and what little I've seen of it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:34 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

To TZ DZ, try "The Prisoner" which I have posted about (and written about in various magazines).

Of course, ABC TV's "Twin Peaks," is wonderful. The "solution" to the death of Laura Palmer takes place in the second season, rather early on, and then the series kind of takes a dive. Another example of how ABC watered down/killed a great series was that network's "Suits" and what they did to "Max Headroom" in the second season. Having read a dubious "poll" that viewers didn't understand the hero was a TV journalist, the Suits paniced, totally removed all serious SF story lines and bought scripts that had things like the characters standing outdoors with umbrellas to protect themselves from pieces of falling space junk--I REALLY WISH I was kidding about this....

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 am 

JonnyDuffy wrote:
To TZ DZ, try "The Prisoner" which I have posted about (and written about in various magazines).

Of course, ABC TV's "Twin Peaks," is wonderful. The "solution" to the death of Laura Palmer takes place in the second season, rather early on, and then the series kind of takes a dive. Another example of how ABC watered down/killed a great series was that network's "Suits" and what they did to "Max Headroom" in the second season. Having read a dubious "poll" that viewers didn't understand the hero was a TV journalist, the Suits paniced, totally removed all serious SF story lines and bought scripts that had things like the characters standing outdoors with umbrellas to protect themselves from pieces of falling space junk--I REALLY WISH I was kidding about this....

I have "The Prisoner" on DVD downstairs.
(its also here on the board too go here ---> viewforum.php?f=48 )

I have been through it a couple of times I believe, though I didn't get around to commenting on the individual episodes too much.
It appears as though you may not have known this section was here, you are in for a treat.

QUICK EDIT - Looks like DrM pointed this out in the other thread you started.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:53 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Game of Thrones.

It's been recommended to me by many people. Since I've got time this weekend, I've begun watching it (3 eps in), and I must say it's very very good. May not be your cup of tea (fantasy genre), but it's a damn good series so far. There's 2 seasons thus far (based on the novel series); season 3 begins next year. There are 5 books out so far (and it sounds like HBO plans on filming the series to fulfill all the books). I've heard seasons 3 AND 4 will compile Book 3 alone due to its length.

Anyway, I recommend you take a gander at it. (Do the same with Twin Peaks already!)

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:18 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My recommendations are:

The Walking Dead
Sherlock
Elementary
Psych
White Collar
The Simpsons
Family Guy
The Cleveland Show
American Dad
Robot Chicken
Boy Meets World reruns
Fringe
Castle
The Mentalist

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:16 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
I concur on The Walking Dead. Bloody brilliant!

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 am 

The Walking Dead is a great one, and in fact I have watched it from the beginning.

Wait a minute........

Early on in that WD thread Anthony was saying he wasn't going to take a chance on that one, until he knew if there was going to be an appropriate ending.

I suppose he went ahead and took the plunge......... ?

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Seen a little of it, it's a good show, I like it. I'll only watch all the episodes if there's a good ending.

Plus Sarah Wayne Callies is easy on the eyes. :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:06 pm 

Its such a slow time of year guys....

Anyone got any other recommendations on a new show?
I was getting into "Arrow" but its gotten a bit stale to be honest.

Several of my favorites crank back up late next month, but in the mean time I wouldn't mind finding something new to get into.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Mike and Molly
Last Man Standing
Archer
Psych
Axe Cop

Try those out, as they're all on now. Psych comes back January 8.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:14 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic

I was recommended this show by a comic book shop worker who is a friend of mine. I caught the first 3 episodes. Its a pretty good show that has alot of 80s references ( and some 70s) and Sci FI and Fantasy references. It has some flaws, but I feel the good outweighs the bad.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:16 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic

The pilot episode was not bad.

PtE is #1Image