Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:20 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Just in time for the holidays.............

While perusing google for some Serling images, I happened to stumble across this, and figured you guys would get a kick out of it.
I don't think I have ever seen this mentioned anywhere on any of the boards I have ever been on, at least that I can remember.

Apparently, in 1964, Serling wrote "his take" or essentially a retelling of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".

There is no video, but if you click the link below, there are some screenshots, and an interesting description of the piece itself.

http://www.thelightningbugslair.com/201 ... other.html

Beware, there are some "spoilers" in the descriptions, though in many ways it is just a more Serling-esque retelling of the same story.

Maybe we can dig this up at some point.
Sounds interesting.

EDIT* - There are some clips located at http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/5673 ... Faces.html

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:38 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Makes sense he would do his own version of A Christmas Carol. After all, his birthday was on Christmas.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:39 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Yup, his bday was on Xmas, great point.

Further, I always thought certain Xmas movies like Its a Wonderful Life, Miracle n 34th Street,and A Christmas Carol for starters, have surreal atmosheres, and dare I say a Zone twist to them, which are all in Mr. Serling's wheel house, so this doubly makes sense.
I would love to see his take on it, Thank you TZ DZ.

Seasons Greetings all

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:17 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
I've acquired a copy of it, will have to check it out at some point soon.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

Well having watched it now, it's sort of hard to sum up my feelings on it, it wasn't bad, and in many ways well written, but it's fundamentally flawed. It's got all the Serling hallmarks and does feel like an extended TZ episode, but I can see why it's become forgotten, and not a christmas classic because it's far darker, and grimmer than A Christmas Carol or virtually any other traditional christmas story I've seen. It's very talky and preachy, more so than any episodes of the TZ ever were. On the one hand it is well written, but it's overdone, it makes for a depressing christmas tale. Actually despite the fact that this is an updating of a Christmas Carol, Christmas is barely referenced in it. It does have the usual ghosts of Christmas, past, present and future but it's more bothered about preaching an anti war, yet non isolationist message. The problem is the incredibly heavy handed manner in whcih it's done, there's long stretches of monotonous dialogue from the ghosts where you feel like they're beating you over the head with this message. However on the plus said there's good performances from Sterling Hayden as the Scrooge character and especially from Peter Sellers in the Christmas future segment, the best part of the film which is reminiscent of the TZ episode the obsolete man. So not bad and worth watching but ultimately disappointing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:21 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
This was sponsored or funded by the United Nations if memory serves me correctly.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

DrMoreau wrote:
This was sponsored or funded by the United Nations if memory serves me correctly.

Yes according to the imdb "Presented without commercial interruptions, this "United Nations Special" was sponsored by the Xerox Corporation, the first of a series of Xerox specials promoting the UN", but that's the problem at times it gets bogged down by too much propaganda.