Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:35 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
Pick any ten or more old TV shows that you like (doesn't have to be your top shows) and list a favorite episode from each.

Star Trek (TOS): Balance Of Terror (will the Romulans unleash their secret weapon that would doom the Federation??? The Enterprise must stop an Invisible Enemy)

Gunsmoke: Mannon (Darkness Is Coming)

The Twilight Zone: Time Enough At Last (The All-Time Great Irony)

The Fugitive: The Judgment (What Else??)

Have Gun Will Travel: El Paso Stage (If Roddenberry ever penned a better episode...I want to see it. Buddy Ebsen is outstanding in this one)

Mission Impossible: Operation Rogosh (Hey...let's give Stephen Hill and Fritz Weaver a nod in this great first season IMF thriller)

Naked City: The Deadly Guinea Pig (Depicts survivors of The Holocaust as the closest thing on Earth to the Living Dead)

Wanted Dead Or Alive: Bounty On Josh (Someone seems invisible and out to kill Josh Randall....slowly)

Bonanza: The Legacy (The character of the Cartwright boys is weighed against the apparent kidnapping and murder of their father)

I Love Lucy: Tennessee Ernie Visits (If there's a funnier Lucy...I've yet to see it and I've seen 'em all)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:57 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Okay, I'll bite, but I reserve the right to change my mind eventually...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - "Revenge" (Mmmm...Vera Miles)
Amazing Stories - "Mummy, Daddy" (A real highlight in an otherwise disappointing anthology series)
Johnny Quest - "The Invisible Monster" (Proof positive that Saturday morning cartoons can be thrilling and frightening, too)
Kolchak The Night Stalker - "Horror In the Heights" (As a 9-year old, I didn't scrutinize then as I do now as an adult, but this one holds up)
Night Gallery - "The Caterpillar" (Oh, the agony!)
The Outer Limits (TOS) - "The Architects Of Fear" (Love the point of no return that Allen Leighton crosses. Plus, one of the coolest alien creations ever)
Thriller - "The Grim Reaper" (This features what could be my favorite Jerry Goldsmith score in a TV Series)
The Twilight Zone (TOS) - "To Serve Man" (Certainly one of the greatest twists in the history of TV or film)
The Twilight Zone ('80s) - "Need To Know" (The suspense of not knowing the "secret" and the exhilaration of imagining what it does to Humanity's future is fascinating to me)
The X-Files - "Folie a Deux" (A great premise, a cool back story and a satisfying reveal to Scully allows this to edge out others like "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", "Pusher", and "Paper Clip")

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:32 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Thanks WB...you always post great episode lists...and I benefit by finding out great episodes from series I have watched or watched closely enough.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

whitsbrain wrote:
Okay, I'll bite, but I reserve the right to change my mind eventually...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - "Revenge" (Mmmm...Vera Miles)
Amazing Stories - "Mummy, Daddy" (A real highlight in an otherwise disappointing anthology series)
Johnny Quest - "The Invisible Monster" (Proof positive that Saturday morning cartoons can be thrilling and frightening, too)
Kolchak The Night Stalker - "Horror In the Heights" (As a 9-year old, I didn't scrutinize then as I do now as an adult, but this one holds up)
Night Gallery - "The Caterpillar" (Oh, the agony!)
The Outer Limits (TOS) - "The Architects Of Fear" (Love the point of no return that Allen Leighton crosses. Plus, one of the coolest alien creations ever)
Thriller - "The Grim Reaper" (This features what could be my favorite Jerry Goldsmith score in a TV Series)
The Twilight Zone (TOS) - "To Serve Man" (Certainly one of the greatest twists in the history of TV or film)
The Twilight Zone ('80s) - "Need To Know" (The suspense of not knowing the "secret" and the exhilaration of imagining what it does to Humanity's future is fascinating to me)
The X-Files - "Folie a Deux" (A great premise, a cool back story and a satisfying reveal to Scully allows this to edge out others like "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", "Pusher", and "Paper Clip")

I liked Amazing Stories. Although, if it's disappointing to you, should you really have it listed as a top 10 favorite? Just wondering.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

SGR said that the episodes didn't have to be from your top shows. I was just following his rules. ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:08 pm 
Director of the National Post

This is a good topic.
But its tough for me really, as on most of my favorite shows there are a few episodes that stand out as "favorites" not necessarily one ep in particular.

But in order to keep it going..............

Twilight Zone - - "One More Pallbearer" (that ought to stir up the comments)

Outer Limits - - "Nightmare"

Nowhere Man - - "Calaway" (just when you think Tom goes back and starts to find out some answers, it ends wide open yet again, as he realizes he is losing his memory and everything)

The Dead Zone - - "The Cold Hard Truth" ( Surprisingly good performance by comedian Richard Lewis, in a sad story)

Twilight Zone 80's - - "Nightcrawlers" (This one is just straight BAD-ASS)

Harsh Realm - - "Manus Domini"

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - - "You Got to Have Luck"

Battlestar Galactica (newer version) - - "You Can't Go Home Again" (easily one of my favorites, and rates highly with fellow board member Alsunday as well)

Jonny Quest - - "The Robot Spy"

Survivors - - (UK 2008 series) Season 1 episode 6. These were untitled, and it was the season finale.
Perhaps one of the best cliffhangars I have ever seen in more recent tv. Non stop action the final 8-10 odd minutes or so.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm not familiar with everything on your list, but I'll throw in two more cents...

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Twilight Zone - - "One More Pallbearer" (that ought to stir up the comments)

There's nothing wrong with this one. I've given it a '7'. Mark Scott Zicree's comments in the TZ Companion are way off the mark here. He states that he felt pity for Radin and contempt for the others. The exact opposite happened to me upon viewing, which was no doubt Serling's intent. I felt contempt for Radin and sympathy for the three "guests". Radin intends to put them through hell, trying to fool them into believing that everything that they care about will be gone in minutes. Radin is much at fault and his insecurities about his past history with the others seems much deserved. The dialogue here is almost a little too sharp, though. Joseph Wiseman as Paul Radin does a great job.

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

This one is a '10' all the way! "Nightmare" is another classic Outer Limits with one of the coolest alien creations of the series. The Ebonites are demonic in appearance and their power over the captured Unified Earth crew is intimidating. The outer space POW camp would have to be among the most terrifying situations one could ever be in. The cast does a great job here. The suspicion among the six person team is relentless, at times making the viewer forget that the Ebonites are the real problem. It seems the crew will kill each other before the Ebonites get their chance. I like the minimalist set. It's feature-less appearance adds to the feeling of hopelessness of the crew. There is literally no place to hide. The twist ending is practically out of the Twilight Zone. The opening Control Voice speech really sets the stage for the struggle that is to follow. Just great, no doubt about it.

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

I watched this again a while ago based on the fact that you sang its praises so loudly and you were 100% correct sir! It brings an intensity that I have not seen in many broadcast TV shows. William Friedken's direction is terrific and I love the grainy look of the episode. I'm not sure if it was intentional or its just the age of it, but it's cool to look at. The subject matter is not too far off the movie Jacob's Ladder. And to top it all off, "Nightcrawlers" has a fantastic conclusion. A big '10' here!

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents - - "You Got to Have Luck"

Yeah, so we just talked about this one recently, I think. I'm only able to give it a '6'. Good story about an escaped convict who attempts to abduct a beautiful woman from her home. Its got an ending that comes out of nowhere. I suppose a careful re-watch would reveal clues about the conclusion.

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

My other favorite Quest adventure! Action, baby! A UFO lands near the Dr. Quest's military installment bringing about a showdown with an indestructible robot spy. The robot emerges from the UFO and looks like a giant long-legged spider with one large red eye and attacks with antenna-mounted suction cups. Can you say awesome?!? This episode blew my mind as a kid and I still love the way the robot sneaks around the base. Once its discovered, a gun-firing, tank-blasting battle ensues. Score it a '10"!

Unread postPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:46 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
I'm not familiar with everything on your list, but I'll throw in two more cents...

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

This one is a '10' all the way! "Nightmare" is another classic Outer Limits with one of the coolest alien creations of the series. The Ebonites are demonic in appearance and their power over the captured Unified Earth crew is intimidating. The outer space POW camp would have to be among the most terrifying situations one could ever be in. The cast does a great job here. The suspicion among the six person team is relentless, at times making the viewer forget that the Ebonites are the real problem. It seems the crew will kill each other before the Ebonites get their chance. I like the minimalist set. It's feature-less appearance adds to the feeling of hopelessness of the crew. There is literally no place to hide. The twist ending is practically out of the Twilight Zone. The opening Control Voice speech really sets the stage for the struggle that is to follow. Just great, no doubt about it.

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

I watched this again a while ago based on the fact that you sang its praises so loudly and you were 100% correct sir! It brings an intensity that I have not seen in many broadcast TV shows. William Friedken's direction is terrific and I love the grainy look of the episode. I'm not sure if it was intentional or its just the age of it, but it's cool to look at. The subject matter is not too far off the movie Jacob's Ladder. And to top it all off, "Nightcrawlers" has a fantastic conclusion. A big '10' here!

TZ DZ Fan wrote:

My other favorite Quest adventure! Action, baby! A UFO lands near the Dr. Quest's military installment bringing about a showdown with an indestructible robot spy. The robot emerges from the UFO and looks like a giant long-legged spider with one large red eye and attacks with antenna-mounted suction cups. Can you say awesome?!? This episode blew my mind as a kid and I still love the way the robot sneaks around the base. Once its discovered, a gun-firing, tank-blasting battle ensues. Score it a '10"!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I don't think "One More Pallbearer" is not my "favorite" in that sense............more along the lines of what I wrote early in my post, its one of many. (same with "You Got to Have Luck") Done well, and perhaps one of my more underrated episodes. Damn ZICREE~! and his condemning of this episode.

Nightmare -
Not only do I love the "Ebonites" but realistically they may be one of, if not THE best alien creation ever on the classic shows. Hell, its just as cool (though dated) as many of the current creations as far as I am concerned.
One night scouring the internet, I came across a John Anderson "Ebonite" signed shot from that episode, which is undoubtedly the only one in creation as far as I know.
The guy that had it, has a large "monster" collection of autographs, and that was one of a select few OL signed shots he had. Most of his stuff was horror and classic sci-fi items. (offhand he had another one of the Megasoid signed by Mike Lane, which was a stuntman and also wore that suit if I recall correctly......another rare one) For what its worth, I asked him several times and that shot of Anderson as an Ebonite is NOT for sale. Apparently after a few offers I made, it isn't for trade either. :(

Nightcrawlers -
I still wonder how they squeezed that one past the censors. I was just old enough to see that tv was still a bit timid showing some things,that kind of violence included.
I mentioned it in one of my posts, but many don't even notice that all that shooting, explosions etc, weren't actually "hitting" other people. From memory, the worst scene is where the Trooper hits Price over the head with the bottle. (most violent??) Or possibly when Price is on the ground being shot also, at least thats what we think is happening.
The score definitely helps this one, and is probably one of the best score/ep packages in all of the 80s TZ.
I still go back and re-read that first post I made on that episode on July 4th 2009. I love it! :twisted:

Jonny Quest -
Now thats another one I need to go back and go through again. So many decent episodes........seriously is there an outright loser in the bunch there????

TZ DZ fan