All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Trek turns 50
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:01 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Congrats to STAR TREK!!!!

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/08/st ... e-man-trap

I am a life long Trek fan ( as am I a TZ fan), I love the shows and movies.

Peace and Prosper all.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Post subject: Re: Star Trek turns 50
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:39 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Yes sir.
Not one I watched every episode of, but there is no doubt it was one of the early greats, and opened the door for some of what we have today.

Just in case you didn't know, and I don't think the few members that still come here are aware of this, but a new Star Trek is coming to CBS!
This has been in the works since late last year, and in fact has a Wiki page already.
The new Starship (set 10 years earlier than the original series) is supposed to be led my a female, minority character thats a lieutenant commander, not a "captain".
More details to come soon.

STAR TREK:Discovery

Watch this..............

Link

I'm hoping since this is essentially the first true big budget space opera type show to be made in many years (not including Battlestar Galactica since it was much smaller in scale, especially at first before it got extremely popular) it will be well done.

I have a lot of hope for this one, but I am trying to keep my real expectations down.

The only current newer show in this vein and scale is SYFY's "The Expanse". It is truly breataking at times, and you can tell there is a heap of money thrown at it, but the story was hard to follow at points.

I tend to think most of the mainstream stuff on CBS, NBC ABC and the like, usually aren't very strong across the board.
Maybe this will change it and put sci-fi back on the map for the general public.

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:56 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Thank You TZ DZ sir,

I did hear of this new Star Trek show being made, I am looking forward to it. Thanks for the film piece.
I too hope its well done, and well received, it would be great to put SF back on the map.

From what little we hear, it sounds promising, I personally hope they bring in more vulcans and romulans, and also some mention of the crew that comes after ( tos enterprise crew).

Btw, SYFY's "The Expanse" sounds interesting, thanks for the tip.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:41 pm 

My Mood: Neutral
Mr.Z wrote:
Thank You TZ DZ sir,

I did hear of this new Star Trek show being made, I am looking forward to it. Thanks for the film piece.
I too hope its well done, and well received, it would be great to put SF back on the map.

From what little we hear, it sounds promising, I personally hope they bring in more vulcans and romulans, and also some mention of the crew that comes after ( tos enterprise crew).

Btw, SYFY's "The Expanse" sounds interesting, thanks for the tip.

Lets go back a couple of years................

Click here ---> viewtopic.php?f=177&t=3520

There are my earliest writings on -THE EXPANSE-.
I started hyping it and yapping about it far before it hit the air, as a BSG replacement. It really was good, but the main problem I had is the same one as others had. --- The story was too scattershot and a bit of a mess.

Like Lazy alluded to, the finale cleared it up a bit, but it was still hard to comprehend, and realistically should have been easier to follow along the way. I think had the storylines been simplified a bit, then it would have led to a much greater fan base and ratings.

Regardless it was renewed for a second season, which for reasons I can't understand, was put off UNTIL NEXT YEAR.

:x

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Sounds like typical SYFY dealings, sadly. For the grief SYFY gets, we sci fi fans are still grateful it exists ( I think :D ).

It is a shame it became a mess, I wish the Executives of this show would listen to its fan base, alas... I say its great you
promoted The Expanse, thanks. 8)

I like you: hope for more and better Sci Fi properties.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:29 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I've always enjoyed the Star Trek franchise, even more so now that they are easily available to watch online now. Whats great about the show is its episodic quality...you can watch any random episode and get a feel for how good the show is. You don't have to see every episode to understand its essence and greatness.

My pessimism of all new things sci fi will not change regarding this new version.
New twilight zone, new tales from the crypt , and now new star trek. The 80s are Alive an well in the 21st century. :ROTF: :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:03 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Great commentary SBV, each ST series was devoted to high quality, fine acting, writing, and each had their own charms.

I do not blame you for your pessimism, there has been a flood of bad sci fi for years. Yet, on occassion a gem shines thru,
lets hope that the new series of shows you mention are highly watchable and re invigorate S F.

PtE is #1Image