Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rock Band 2
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:14 pm 
Now that I have had this game for a week, here are my "late to the party" impressions...

1. I used to be a huge Guitar Hero player (emphasis on the used to part) but after just seven days with this game I am pretty confident that I will never purchase another Guitar Hero product ever again. The Metallica game is tempting, but I doubt it.

2. Both the guitar and the drums in this game are vastly improved over the first game's instruments. I am absolutely in love with my new black Strat! The microphone is still the same, but I virtually never do vocals so it does not effect me in the least.

3. The fact that there are 159 songs right out of the box (the 84 on the disc, the 20 free DLC songs and the 55 tracks imported from RB1) is absolutely amazing. There are a plethora of DLC songs I want, but I haven't even bothered downloading a single one yet because the game has kept me interested with the base 159 songs thus far.

4. Also, it is beyond great that Harmonix has kept their word and keep releasing at least a few new songs every week. I don't see how I could possibly ever get bored with this game until the next generation of consoles is released and Rock Band 3 is unleashed upon the masses.

5. This game is the most fun I have ever had in a video game in a week. Sure, it was expensive (over 200 bucks with tax and the $5 key to import the RB1 songs) but as my friend said to me earlier tonight between challenges, "This game actually helps to prevent you from spending money." This is true, because other than going out to watch the Super Bowl, I have not spent a single dime on anything this week due to being stuck at home because I am addicted to this game!

My rating - 9.5/10 and I haven't even cracked into the DLC yet!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:53 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
My brother has this too and it's always addictive whenever I visit. I especially love that some of my favorite tracks are on there -- Sex Type Thing, Man in the Box -- with the potential to download others. When we get together, my brother takes the vocals, I use the guitar, and my cousin hits up the drums. Ridiculously good times!

We are....The Douchebags! :clap:

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:24 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
RB & RB2 are ok, but - sorry, I still prefer GH-World Tour. The screen is cleaner, the drums were always set up right to begin with and I can use either guitars (GH or RB) with it. Hell, I can even import my own Midi files into it, so no limitation or having to wait for a song I want to do. But, being that Harmonix helped develop the OG GH, their spin off is still quite enjoyable - hardly any difference once you get going. Either system are great for party fun whichever you prefer.

My only complaint with either system is the damn vocals. Hell, you don't even really have to say the words or even truly be in key. I can sing like Cyril and still score 100% :P

The Black strat is ok but give me the Gibson Les Paul. Yeah - I know - I'm old.

Side Note: I used to be able to beat my youngest daughter but once I taught her the Hammer On/Off techniques, I haven't been able to touch her. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm 
I finally caved in and bought some DLC last night.

I picked up the Metallica pack (...And Justice For All, Blackened and Ride The Lightning) along with the Foo Fighters pack (DOA, This Is A Call and Times Like These) along with the singles for Nearly Lost You by Screaming Trees and She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult.

There are about 100 other songs I want to buy too, but I am going to limit myself to only spending 10 bucks a week on DLC.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:28 am 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

:wtf: Dude, you are crazy! The only good thing about Rock Band is there choice in songs. The game play sucks compared to Guitar Hero! If your gonna waste the money on a game, waste it well and go with Guitar Hero. Better game quality and a more enjoyable experience.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:57 am 
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... oworldtour

Guitar Hero World Tour scored an 85 on metacritic. That's not too shabby, but it also scored a 5.9/10 among consumers which is downright abysmal.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... /rockband2

Rock Band 2 scored a 92 on metacritic. That is an excellent score. It also scored an 8.1/10 among consumers which is very good.

I don't see how I'm "crazy" for favoring the game which is pretty much considered better by both critics and consumers alike...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:48 pm 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
I grabbed GH: World Tour for my 4 year old son on his Nintendo DS. I'm hoping he gets to enjoy it but, just as importantly, I can use it as a medium to introduce him to QUALITY music instead of the shite in the charts his mother keeps playing. ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:38 pm 

MrRSerling wrote:
I grabbed GH: World Tour for my 4 year old son on his Nintendo DS. I'm hoping he gets to enjoy it but, just as importantly, I can use it as a medium to introduce him to QUALITY music instead of the shite in the charts his mother keeps playing. ;)

:ROTF: :rockon:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:44 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Well, for one it's poor judgement to take World Tour against Rock Band. If you take a regular Guitar Hero like I,II,III, Rock The 80's, the Rock Band really sucks. Plus, if you listen to everything critics, especially in magazines, say then it isn't that fair since its the first game Guitar Hero has released as a band set and they're more brutal in udgement against games that have great first games. Everyone I know agrees the first R.B. sucked, but they enjoy the second one alot. I can't stand it, but hey, if your happy with it kudos. You can't quite judge Guitar Hero yetsince World Tour is an experiment, just like Rock Band was once.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:26 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
DeadlyCheshireSmile wrote:
Well, for one it's poor judgement to take World Tour against Rock Band. If you take a regular Guitar Hero like I,II,III, Rock The 80's, the Rock Band really sucks. Plus, if you listen to everything critics, especially in magazines, say then it isn't that fair since its the first game Guitar Hero has released as a band set and they're more brutal in udgement against games that have great first games. Everyone I know agrees the first R.B. sucked, but they enjoy the second one alot. I can't stand it, but hey, if your happy with it kudos. You can't quite judge Guitar Hero yetsince World Tour is an experiment, just like Rock Band was once.

So, what aspect of Guitar Hero do you consider superior to Rock Band?

I personally prefer to have the option of playing guitar or bass, drums, or singing, than just playing guitar.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:38 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Vareity is nice, won't put Rock Band down for that, but I prefer gems over boxes. They annoy the crap outta me. Perhaps if I got use to them, but after playing with gems, boxes just seem like a downgrade. I also prefer the drum set in GHWT over RB. I think GHWT has the look and feel of a drum set. Just wish the game play was up to par.