Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Poker discussion
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:44 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
OK, so as far as I know, the only one here that plays any serious Hold'em is Cyril, so I will toss this scenario out to him, and see what he would do.

I have been meaning to start a poker thread, but for various reasons I have not done so, until now.

BTW- Its been a good couple of weeks around these parts, and the geese are out giving money away!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the situation -

Typical No Limit Hold'em game.
We are down to 5 players.(late night skeleton crew)

Me- TZ DZ -tight aggressive.
2 soft, loose, timid players.
One absolute calling station (Mr. Action!), and one player who actually plays well after the flop, but plays about 60% of all hands before the flop. So there's his leak.

Blind structure $2-$5.

A HUUUUGE pot has just broken out, and Mr. Action has just scooped an almost $1,500 pot.
He completely broke one loose player, and felted another and each one lost over $450 in that hand.
Now the war is on~! Rebuy Rebuy!!!!

Mr. Action only wins in about 10% of his sessions overall, if that. Simply put, he gives it away, and out of the 4-5 times I have seen him win, the game either broke up, he got an emergency call to make him leave, or the cops came in and broke the game up for us. :D

So he literally needs about 2 minutes just to stack his chips, and this hand comes down, while he is trying to stack all his chips together.

I come in UTG for $15 with Jd - Js

Note- I don't like coming in for more than this, its literally a way for me to manipulate the size of the pot, if a ridiculous board comes. Be aware that normally I can get good action regardless, so maximizing before the flop I typically only do with A-A or K-K. Going berserk before the flop is not necessary here, as I can normally find a way to get paid off a fair amount after the flop anyhow.Trust me, its probably the right thing to do in this lineup. This also changes though,if several people have limped, as I raise it up a bit more in that case.

Seat 4 folds.
Mr. Action on the button makes it $30, while he is still dragging in his chips.
He now has almost $1700 in front of him. Be aware that he can make this move with literally any 2 cards. Anything from K-10 off, 5-6 suited, to ace rag, pocket dueces,I mean literally anything. You dream it up, and he can find a way to play it, full table or shorthanded, it doesn't matter. Its a good thing that he does computer work and makes good loot. :clap:

Of the remaining 2 players in the blind, small blind folds, and the big blind calls. This too is more than likely a "steam call", as he just got cleaned out by Mr.Action, and rebought for $300.

I call the raise. I could re-raise here, but I call in hopes of building a huge one, if it comes down right, and I can also get away from this hand easily if it doesn't.
Note I have about $550 in front as well.

So in the pot, there is now $88. (three players for $30, and a $2 small blind, minus a $4 rake)

Here comes the flop..........

10s - 9c - 8s

The first player checks, and then I check.
This is debatable, but I check here for information. Meaning- Normally, when Mr. Action raises before the flop, you can depend on him to bet after the flop, regardless of action.
So I know that he is going to fire something, I just don't know how much.

Mr. Action now fires out $30. This is more of a "continuation bet". Meaning I feel he wants to bet a sizeable amount, seeing as he always fires after the flop when he has raised before. This is about the size bet I was figuring on actually.

Now the BB player folds his hand.

So it gets to me, I can just slick call here, and try and bust him for a big amount on the turn, or I can pop him right here and now.
At this point, I am saying to myself, I know I am going to raise him somewhere. Here or on the turn.
I decide to pop him on the turn.

I call the $30.

I also see that Mr. Action has stopped neatening his chips. He must have a piece of the flop in some fashion, as he wakens right up after I call.

This leaves $148 in the pot, and here comes the turn card.

Turn card - Jh

So now the board is 10s - 9c - 8s - Jh

What do you do here?

After hearing your thoughts, I will reply with what I did.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:30 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject: Re: Poker discussion
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:26 am 
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

Regardless of how loose or tight any given player is, that is almost always a surefire sign of extreme strength.

You made a good raise pre-flop with your "hooks" and you also made a good flat call after his re-raise. Like you said, he is the kind of player you can double through if you make your set.

I don't like your check on the flop though. If there was $88 in there on that flop, I would have fired out at least $60 to see how he would react. But then again, I like to "lead into the raiser" when I get a piece of the board. I definitely would have bet out with my overpair and straight draw in that situation.

The fact that he just bet $30 on that flop already tells me that he is a weak player. It's almost as if he is begging you to call. If I were in your shoes, I would think I was behind at this point in the hand to him (at this point I have him on either A-A or a set of 8's, 9's or 10's) but the 4 to 1 pot odds merit a call with your straight draw. I guess I can live with your call on the flop.

The turn card is a scary one for both of you even though you made your set, but based on the information I already have about the hand I don't think he has a Q or a 7 in his hand so I would move all-in right here and try to scoop the $148 already in the middle.

If my read is right, than he is way behind you and is more than a 20 to 1 dog if he calls you. If my read is wrong and he does in fact hold a Q or a 7 than you still have ten outs to beat him.

Let me know what happened, bro. I need to know!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:40 am 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

Regardless of how loose or tight any given player is, that is almost always a surefire sign of extreme strength.

OK, I may expand a hair more later, but here is the gist.

You also may need to realize, that he is also the loosey-type, that after he wins a few hands, especially close together (or in a row), that he will now raise with anything.
But anyhow he plays so bad that it doesn't matter.
The reason I checked the flop, is as I said before, I know he will make a donk "continuation bet" with everything on the planet Earth, unless he simply raised with 3-4 sooted~!!! and missed everything. (I would prefer to let him bet-off at least some money to me, instead of running him off)

Just as a side note, if you think in the back of your mind that leading into the pot would have run him off here, you can forget that also. I simply would have had to bet it all, and even then he would have called the $400 or more that I had left. You will see why in a minute. :twisted:

So all goes as planned,then the Jack comes off.

Now I have to try and get some value, Period. The only way he beats me, is if he has QJ/QK (and thats possible), QQ, or 77.

I make the debatable play here, of checking again. He fires out $50 on the turn. The reason I check, is if I make a $250 bet or something crazy, I can lose my whole $500 plus.
But yet I want to get something extra in, so I choose to "min raise" him to $100.

Here's the reason, and its ironclad against this guy. If he has the nuts, he pushes his whole $1500 in immediately. What an idiot, right?
If he has a smaller set, he "insta-calls". (which is a good scenario for me)
Or if he has 7-7, he "insta-calls", but in a defensive manner. Meaning, he will call you to the grave, but doesn't/won't lay it down come Hell or high water.

Sure enough, he "defensively calls" . Image

OK, so now where does that leave me. As he puts his chips in, Its one of those "I can't lay this down" type maneuvers. I am sure you know what I mean.

But this is KEY!
When I min-raised him on the turn, this guy will not bet a Queen on the end, for fear of the nuts. They all know when I put some bigger chips in, they know I have some type of "nuts-variety" hand.

So on the end, here comes a complete blank 6.

I know he will not raise me with a smaller set, but he is sure to call.
But the eager way he put his chips into the pot on the turn, scared me, and rightfully so.
I check, and he checks behind me, he then shows me 7-7.

He then rakes in a $348 pot, and I am like, umm, nice hand. LOL :yack:
Note on the flop, I will win over 77% of the time against his hand.

The really tight thing about this hand, is the river card.
Just in case my J doesn't come falling on the turn, he sucks out anyway with a ridiculous 6. Isn't hold'em a great game? :o

This is why I like anything hi-lo split better. Many hands you can get "dressed up", where the BEST thing an idiot can do, is get half the loot, or even a quarter.
Ah, but I play all the games pretty damn efficiently.
Plus I have a partner and we "host" the game on Sundays. Oh well.

This week was like something out of the La Brea Tar Pits. I lose over a dime on Sunday alone.
In the next scenario, I'll tell you how I flopped a broadway straight, One player flopped 3 Kings, and the other flopped Queens and Tens, and they both moved all in,(for over $300 each) and they both filled up and beat me on the turn. Now how do you like that? LOL.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:08 pm 
Well, I'm glad to see that hand didn't cost you as much coin as it would have cost me! :lol:

On a side note, something INSANE happened at one of my regular games the other night. I don't want to post about it on a public forum, but PM me or catch me on AIM and I'll give you the lowdown. Some scary shite, bro!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:18 pm 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Well, I'm glad to see that hand didn't cost you as much coin as it would have cost me! :lol:

On a side note, something INSANE happened at one of my regular games the other night. I don't want to post about it on a public forum, but PM me or catch me on AIM and I'll give you the lowdown. Some scary shite, bro!

I have seen just about it ALL brother, really.
Police, robberies, all that shite.........fights. You name it. But in todays world, especially in the last few years, its gotten much better.

I have a pretty good idea of what you mean, but shoot me a PM and let me know the deal.

I am willing to bet that a violent act happened, but I am wondering of "what variety", and I bet even that is down to one of 2 types of incidents.
Shame really.

Let me know.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:03 pm 
TZ DZ Fan wrote:

I have seen just about it ALL brother, really.
Police, robberies, all that shite.........fights. You name it. But in todays world, especially in the last few years, its gotten much better.

I have a pretty good idea of what you mean, but shoot me a PM and let me know the deal.

I am willing to bet that a violent act happened, but I am wondering of "what variety", and I bet even that is down to one of 2 types of incidents.
Shame really.

Let me know.

TZ DZ Fan

Trust me, you have never seen anything quite like THIS one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:21 am 

Let me know in PM dude.

Scott - TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:36 am 

Small addendum here- someone stepped in, and that was a good thing then.

I don't really know what exactly what was going to happen......., but believe me when I say this, it had the potential to be life changing(or ending). for both of us

Good thing it went down like it did actually. :D

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 pm 

So now, its your turn.
Had any hands recently that are worth discussing???

I have been losing money so much recently, I feel the need to get back to basics, and start truly thinking about the game again.
If there ever was a "bad streak", I am in it right now.

Something else, I used to keep track of everything. AND I mean everything. Hours played. ............right on down to each place I played in/game variety. Limit, no-limit, Holdem,Omaha, Stud,all results, you name it.

For various reasons, I stopped a long time ago though.

I have some more thoughts on "running bad", but I will get to those later. Now, I'm off to play in my weekly Sunday No-Limit game.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:12 am 

Cyril- here's yet another scenario that happenned just last night.

10 handed. Slightly different lineup, but with a few of the same couple of regular customers. (note the absence of Mr. Action I referred to in the previous post, but we have one who puts the cheese in faster than him anyhow, even though he doesn't play a factor in this hand)

A player comes in under the gun for a limp of $5, then a fairly smart player makes it $25 (I am in seat 5 directly to his left).

The UTG player is pretty much an empty slate. He could have alot of hands. In this game, there is a ton of limping, especially early in the night. Simply put, no one has had any major confrontations yet, we have only been playing about an hour.

The smart player,who made it $25, he had a minimum of A-Qs, and more than likely had a pair such as J-J.

I look down and see A-A. :o
What do you do here?

There are 2 ways I can play this, lay low and just slick call, or make a big raise/overbet here and attempt to trap a huge hand. (or make it look as though I am just trying to snatch it down without a fight)

Remember, there are 10 players, and 1-2 real gamblers floating around. The chance of me getting 1-2 players isn't bad, even with a huge bet.

I opted to make a big raise.
Reasoning- Although I risk nailing the pot down right here, there is an excellent chance I will pick up one victim, and thats the guy who made it $25.

Stack size- The guy who made it $25, has approx. $180 in front, and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $325.
It also should be noted, that I have perhaps the largest stack on the table, or damn close. We hadn't been playing long, and the biggest stack was no more than $400.

I make a big raise to $80.

Then the unexpected happens............. yet another player that is in seat 9, goes into a stall. He has about $190 in front.
He has just arrived, and he askes the guy he came with this........"can I get any cash from you if I need it?" LMAO~!!!
I know right there this guy might go broke here, and he has a medium pair. Perhaps 10-10 - JJ.

After about 30 seconds, he says what I want to hear,"I'm all in". He shoots in his $190 or so.

Then all fold to the guy who made it $25. He then stalls a bit too, and says, "I'm all in also".
Now- to this guys defense, he was in a bad spot. Can you guess his hand? It should be clear cut.

Here is the answer hidden/click to see what he has - [spoil] he has K-K! [/spoil]

As soon as it gets to me, I say, "OK boys, just leave your chips in front, and lets see the board, I'm all in also."
When I say that, my buddy that made it $25(and then called the other guys all in) goes "oh shite, you have aces don't you?"

Let me come to his defense again, he was in a bad spot. He was out of position.(seat 4) The 3rd player that had just arrived, went into the tank so long thinking, that he had to be sure he had him beaten badly. His only concern was me, and I was behind him and had him covered.

He beat himself up so long afterwards,literally hours, saying he could have gotten away from the hand.
But as I told him, suppose he folds and I show Q-Q?
His reasoning- He said he was certain when I made it $80, that I had either A-A,K-K, or Q-Q, so he said he was calling only to really hope for a chop, or be against the one hand he could beat, namely Q-Q.

Anyway- all turned out well. Lets just suppose I had just slick called. As it turns out,the flop comes down, A-9-3. I of course would have checked, then a K spiked on the turn, so the guy with the K-K would have gotten broke anyhow.

Ship the chips~! I take off about $400 winner, and for the night I ended up winning over $750.

I might add, I had aces 4 times in the 8 hours we played, and Kings 2 times, and never lost with any of them. The majority of them never made it to the flop.
A refreshing change to the dismal week last week, and hopefully I can string a couple more good nights together.

I did happen to have A-A against K-K very late, and won about $125 that hand too.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:37 pm 
Just had this hand happen on Poker Stars. This is a straight copy and paste from the hand history. I'm MrLuckyFlops by the way:

PokerStars Game #16367908843: Hold'em No Limit ($1/$2) - 2008/03/30 - 16:37:12 (ET)
Table 'Sappho V' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: pfurious ($104 in chips)
Seat 3: OH...OBV! ($31 in chips)
Seat 4: flanntheman1 ($40 in chips)
Seat 5: speed.G ($223.45 in chips)
Seat 6: ryanj9352 ($192.50 in chips)
Seat 7: MrLuckyFlops ($200 in chips)
Seat 8: Nookx ($356.80 in chips)
Seat 9: BankItDrew ($208.85 in chips)
Hoffster was removed from the table for failing to post
OH...OBV!: posts small blind $1
flanntheman1: posts big blind $2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to MrLuckyFlops [Js Ts]
speed.G: folds
ryanj9352: folds
MrLuckyFlops: raises $4 to $6
Nookx: folds
BankItDrew: folds
pfurious: calls $6
OH...OBV!: folds
flanntheman1: calls $4
*** FLOP *** [7s Jh Qs]
flanntheman1: checks
MrLuckyFlops: bets $8
pfurious: calls $8
MaxBoyUofS joins the table at seat #2
flanntheman1: raises $26 to $34 and is all-in
MrLuckyFlops: calls $26
pfurious: folds
*** TURN *** [7s Jh Qs] [As]
*** RIVER *** [7s Jh Qs As] [Ks]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
flanntheman1: shows [Kh Qh] (two pair, Kings and Queens)
MrLuckyFlops: shows [Js Ts] (a Royal Flush)
MrLuckyFlops collected $92 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $95 | Rake $3
Board [7s Jh Qs As Ks]
Seat 1: pfurious (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: OH...OBV! (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: flanntheman1 (big blind) showed [Kh Qh] and lost with two pair, Kings and Queens
Seat 5: speed.G folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: ryanj9352 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: MrLuckyFlops showed [Js Ts] and won ($92) with a Royal Flush
Seat 8: Nookx folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: BankItDrew folded before Flop (didn't bet)

That was my first ever Royal in Hold 'Em. Just thought I'd share it with the group
. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:49 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Nice!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:07 am 
DrMoreau wrote:
Nice!!!

Hell yeah, bro! I never get too excited when I play, but I literally jumped out of my chair when that King of spades hit the river. :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:26 am 

Nice royal. For that feat, here ya go ~~~~~~> :dance:
Been so long since I have had one of those, I can't recall.

I did make a straight flush wheel, in my $5-$10 limit rotation game in "Omaha hi-lo" a couple weeks back. You are going to make one of those here and there. Royals are much rarer, and honestly in hi-lo, I would just as soon have a str8 flush wheel anyhow, as you have a lock low, and the lock high hand. Typically you get tons more action in that type of scenario anyway.
I think I won about $100 with that hand.

Anyhow, I have another scenario that came down last night, and I may explain it in detail later.

But check this, no-limit hold'em, standard $2-$5 blinds.
Down to 6 handed, and ultimo maniac has about $400 in front, and I have about $1100. Note this is yet another goof, not the one who beat me last time. :lol:
He is straddling everytime its his turn,(literally, don't laugh) and I am directly to his left in seat 4.

Anyway, for one time in like 2 hours, he actually raises UTG instead of straddling,with God knows what, as he is playing anything from 7-2 for raises, to good hands, literally whatever he can get in his mitt.

He makes it $22 UTG, and I look down to see As-Ad. heh Had them 4 times last night.

Anyhow, how much would you raise here and why?

Because of the game in question, and again its one of those "late night skeleton crew" games where most of the people left there along with me are hooked anywhere from $300 to well over $1,000. Raising here is absolutely mandatory, as any and all possibilities are being thrown at anyone at this point. (I was the only decent winner, I was up about $800 at this point. One guy had actually came back from the felt, and had clawed his way to about $500 winner. This guy is Mr. Tight)

Well I decide to go ahead and make it $60, absolutely sure to get the maniac to go to the flop and turn, possibly another victim.

I make it $60, and it gets around to Mr. Tight, and he goes into this stall. I knew right then and there I had made an error as he had a big hand.

Long story short, Mr. Tight shows a guy beside him, after a 45 second or so, read/thinking, he shows Qc-Qh, and proceeds to muck his hand.
LOL~! What a moron. He is supposed to bump it on up there, and try and see where he is at.
Unfortunately my reputation preceeds me, and he figured I had a big hand. So he laid his QQ down.

Anyway, the flop comes down, 4c-9c-10c. Maniac checks to me, I bet another $50, and he quickly calls. Uhoh. :o
Then, the turn blanks, and the river is a queen, and I check behind him both times.
He shows 3c-3d, I win the pot.
I pull in the $220 or so.

Regardless, everyone makes an issue that I would have gotten beat. (they all love beating me, as I'm probably the tightest/most solid player in the joint, don't you love idiots that know that and proceed to call anyway?)

I spoke up, and said, you guys are all wrong. They were like why, why, he had QQ????
Then I pointed out how ,if somehow Mr. Tight did get to the flop, the bet was going to be so huge the he couldn't stand it anyway, and I would have taken the pot down right there by betting $600 or something ridiculous. LOL
What a bunch of morons.

BTW- went perfect-perfect last Thursday in a limit game, and that is the only time in my life I ever remember doing that.
Obviously playing hi-lo, you will back in to half the roots here and there, but its literally the only time I remember going from one pair, to trips, then quads.(to scoop)

Last 3 sessions in my $5-$10 limit rotation game...........get a load of this. :dance:
+$675
+$220
+$499

TZ DZ Fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:35 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I started playing WSOP Texas Hold Em online. Ive been playing the last two weeks and sadly...I have to agree with my Terror squad buddy TZDZ...its addicting. I played one tournament and lost...now mostly enjoy those ring games where people filter in and out at their own pace so its really just you vs anybody and you can leave anytime.
Some benefits Ive noticed online...nobody can read your poker face :D . I like to usually bluff quite often my hands in the beginning... and fool people later because they assume I dont have shite. I tend to lose big early on...
Since I play regular now....Ive noticed a trend in certain newbies. I call them the VEGAS BUSTERS...as they have a mindset of going ALL IN on their first and only hand ...lose all their chips..go BUST...and leave as quickly as they entered. busters...similar to those people in Vegas who roll the dice on one hand and lose everything.

One thing I hate...folding cards like 5d 2h or 9s 3h and flopping 5 5 2 and 3 3 9. Folding a potential full house happens alot...It pisses me off.

The other night I had I believe a 9 an a Jack. Flop was Q K 8. Then a Ace. I stayed in before the river but folded because people were betting way to much as I assumed somebody had an Ace. Of course the final card was a 10. fml

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
I started playing WSOP Texas Hold Em online. Ive been playing the last two weeks and sadly...I have to agree with my Terror squad buddy TZDZ...its addicting. I played one tournament and lost...now mostly enjoy those ring games where people filter in and out at their own pace so its really just you vs anybody and you can leave anytime.
Some benefits Ive noticed online...nobody can read your poker face :D . I like to usually bluff quite often my hands in the beginning... and fool people later because they assume I dont have shite. I tend to lose big early on...
Since I play regular now....Ive noticed a trend in certain newbies. I call them the VEGAS BUSTERS...as they have a mindset of going ALL IN on their first and only hand ...lose all their chips..go BUST...and leave as quickly as they entered. busters...similar to those people in Vegas who roll the dice on one hand and lose everything.

One thing I hate...folding cards like 5d 2h or 9s 3h and flopping 5 5 2 and 3 3 9. Folding a potential full house happens alot...It pisses me off.

The other night I had I believe a 9 an a Jack. Flop was Q K 8. Then a Ace. I stayed in before the river but folded because people were betting way to much as I assumed somebody had an Ace. Of course the final card was a 10. fml

Coming from someone who plays at least 2-3 nights a week, trust me you are better off not playing or exposing yourself to poker at all.

Sadly, Texas Hold'em is probably THE WORST game for an expert player to actually play, since its so much short term luck.
You are far better off learning Omaha hi-lo or stud hi-lo, but the game selection online is pretty scarce in those games, and basically non existent in home games. Unless you find someone hosting a home game that is.
In todays world, you can search online and eventually come across a few, and in northern Va., theres plenty, trust me.

If you are stubborn and really want to stick with it, my advice is to read everything you can get your hands on.
Most books by 2+2 publishing are worth their weight in gold, especially anything written by David Sklansky and/or Mason Malmuth. Those titles lead the top of that list.

http://www.twoplustwostore.com/twoplustwo/

If you are serious about this, let me know and I can tell you 1-2 of the best books to start with.
I can attest they will help your results tremendously.
Unfortunately,(in the words of Sklansky himself) "most people would rather read novels than textbooks" so many shun books and don't use them like they should. But if you are truly serious about it, then you should start somewhere.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Ill PM you for certain info. What are your thoughts on "poker is about playing the people not the cards?" or something like that? That has to influence certain stuff..

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

StillValleyBard wrote:
Ill PM you for certain info. What are your thoughts on "poker is about playing the people not the cards?" or something like that? That has to influence certain stuff..

There is some truth to that.
But the general public tends to put too much emphasis on the bluffing aspect, when in fact it should be something done very rarely. (think about it, the more rarely you attempt to steal a pot, the more successful you will be long term on those attempts)

The simple truth in most lower stakes games (no limit holdem included), is that average players didn't come to fold. They came to play.
So making big laydowns/not being called doesn't happen often.

The majority of your money that you will ever make in nl holdem, will be when you get a monster hand and get paid off.
Flopping top set, getting your whole stack in and getting called by some moron with one pair, getting aces and being able to get your stack in versus another monkey who wants to shove with JJ(what a moron) or even AK etc. etc.

You can go hours and not even get into a good situation, in fact the game is downright boring.
Tend to think about playing only hands you can raise with, that will get you on the right path long term.

Think about this scenario- I see it all the time.

3 people limp preflop plus the blinds, so there is $9 in the pot in a $1-$2 blinds nl game. Then someone makes it $10 (making it $19 in the pot) and the next player moves all in for $100.
It comes around to you, and you have Q-Q.
It costs you $100, and there is $119 in the pot.
(essentially it costs you $100 to win $119)
Then its time to think about what the guy can have. Most often, theres only a few hands a guy is moving in with there.
(AK, AA,KK,QQ possibly JJ)
People call here with QQ all the time and its just terrible.
Reasoning = Many players won't even get it in with JJ, so out of all the scenarios, which one do you like most???
Against KK and AA, you are just giving money away. You are not getting any expectation out of QQ realistically, and in the likely event the guy has AK (which is your best case scenario) you are essentially FLIPPING A COIN for your $100 call.
I don't know about you, but I don't consider myself a lucky individual, and I certainly don't feel like flipping a coin for $100.
AND THATS THE ONLY REALLY FAVORABLE SCENARIO FOR YOU OUT OF ALL THOSE So all the scenarios combined lead to a just awful situation for you.

It won't be long and you will have a better situation.
Why not wait and get your money in elsewhere.
(if you are one of those players where when you fold QQ, and then you get upset when you flop a Q, then poker is not for you)
Its about making the right decision, the results will work themselves out in the long run.

I've read it many times, but the general rule in most lower stakes nl holdem games, is try and win the big pots, and lose the small ones.
Play the big hands (for big money) on "your terms" and always try and have the best hand.

Many of my best nights of playing holdem that I have had in the past, are nights where I only even played 6-8 hands/seen a flop all night, but yet others called and or bet off their whole stacks into me anyway.
Think about it, say you are playing $1-$2 blinds.
You can play 10 full rounds only burning up $30 in blinds, and often you can win a pot with $100+ in it (or maybe alot more), when you eventually do play.

Playing all suited hands like say 10-8 suited and similar hands, begins to eventually chip away at your stack and ultimately bankroll.
There are times when you should play such hands,(like when you and your opponent both have huge stacks relative to the blinds) but those scenarios don't come up often in most games.

Playing extremely tight, and aggressive pre-flop............... and not losing your discipline, and playing within your bankroll are the most important things early on.
Not to mention reading everything you can get your hands on. :twisted:

TZ DZ fan