Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grand Theft Auto IV
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:25 am 
I picked the game for PS3 up last night at a midnight sale and got about four hours of play time in last night before bed and I have to say I am impressed. For a game with so many expectations, I am surprised that it has (so far) lived up to the hype. I'll elaborate more as I get further in the game. Anyone else pick this baby up yet?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:06 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Sweet! Let us know, Cyril. I heard nothing but good reviews from my Beta Testing friends.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 am 
DrMoreau wrote:
Sweet! Let us know, Cyril. I heard nothing but good reviews from my Beta Testing friends.

Well, I'm about 15 hours into the game now and I'll be the first to say that this is easily one of the best games I have ever played.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
I ordered it and the strategy guide from Amazon. I should be getting it in the mail this week. I'm going to try to beat the story missions as quickly as possible, as that's one of the achievements for the X Box 360 version, which is the one I will be playing. I will then explore more and have more fun with the game.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:01 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Well, now I think I'll just beat the story missions and then beat the game 100% as I've done with past GTA games. This is one where I don't care about getting all the achievements, like I did with Dead Rising and Bully.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:58 am 
Just beat the game earlier tonight. While it was a blast and I rate the game very high, I will not be going for 100% completion as it just doesn't seem like it would be nearly as rewarding as San Andreas and Vice City were. Besides, I am in the middle of Super Mario Galaxy (which I put on hold when GTA IV came out) and also have yet to crack open Mario Kart Wii since its release a few weeks ago. Plus, Wii Fit comes out this week so it looks like my PS3 is going to collect dust for a little while. At least until Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out next month!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:49 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'll be going for 100%, but I don't think I'll be going for all the achievements, since 10 of them can only be gotten playing online witg X Box live and I don't feel like getting extra parts when the system is expensive enough and I'm just not that into online play.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:51 pm 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

Anthony wrote:
I'll be going for 100%, but I don't think I'll be going for all the achievements, since 10 of them can only be gotten playing online witg X Box live and I don't feel like getting extra parts when the system is expensive enough and I'm just not that into online play.

Did you ever get through this one all the way Anthony?????

I never did go out and get this like I told myself I was.
I never went out and got a PS3. (or XBOX) I used to play a ton of games years ago, but haven't in the past few years, with the exception of poker that is............................

:twisted:

From what I have seen, this game is totally worth it.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:37 am 
This game really is worth it, but if you're trying to decide to get either a PS3 or an Xbox 360 then that is for a whole 'nother thread, my friend! Personally, I'd suggest the PS3 but it all depends on your television, budget and personal preference.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:09 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Playstation3 - does Microsoft really need anymore of your money?!?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:40 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Did you ever get through this one all the way Anthony?????

I never did go out and get this like I told myself I was.
I never went out and got a PS3. (or XBOX) I used to play a ton of games years ago, but haven't in the past few years, with the exception of poker that is............................

:twisted:

From what I have seen, this game is totally worth it.

TZ DZ fan

Still playing it. Doing a few missions at a time. Right now I'm waiting for a new copy to come in the mail from Amazon as the one I had took one for the team. In the meantime, I'm playing another Rockstar game, Bully: Scholarship Edition, any fans of that game? Oh and some people like the 360 because of the Achievements to go for in a lot of the games. When you get a new game, it shows the title of each achievement and what you have to do to get it, like there's one called You Won that you get when you finish the story missions and one called Key To The City you get when you get 100% completion. There's also some you get for specific story missions like Off The Boat, which you get just for finishing the first simple story mission.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 pm 
Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost And The Damned comes out next week! This is an expansion to the GTA IV game. It is only available on Xbox 360, so I am glad I picked one of those up back in November. You play a guy in a biker gang and it looks totally awesome. More info can be found here:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/947/947252p1.html

I can't wait for this!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:21 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:

Well, I'm about 15 hours into the game now and I'll be the first to say that this is easily one of the best games I have ever played.

Co-sign , best game i ever played

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:38 pm 
<embed src="http://static.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.0.3.swf" flashvars="config={&quot;playlist&quot;:[{&quot;url&quot;:48,&quot;scaling&quot;:&quot;fit&quot;,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffering&quot;:false,&quot;provider&quot;:&quot;tm_video&quot;,&quot;LR_VIDEO_ID&quot;:&quot;48&quot;}],&quot;plugins&quot;:{&quot;liverail&quot;:{&quot;url&quot;:&quot;http://static.liverail.com/libas3/flowplayer/LiveRailPlugin302.swf&quot;,&quot;LR_ADMAP&quot;:&quot;ov%3A3%2C90%25%2C20%3Bin%3A0%25&quot;,&quot;LR_USE_JUNCTION&quot;:&quot;false&quot;,&quot;LR_TAGS&quot;:&quot;default,zero-punctuation&quot;,&quot;LR_SKIN_ID&quot;:&quot;3&quot;,&quot;LR_PUBLISHER_ID&quot;:&quot;2f38d976&quot;},&quot;tm_video&quot;:{&quot;url&quot;:&quot;flowplayer.tm_video-1.2.4.swf&quot;}},&quot;key&quot;:&quot;#@845da661688f3d25497&quot;}" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" height="324" width="400" wmode="opaque"></embed>

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 pm 
What the hell happened to my video? Oh well...

I am playing through the main game again (on the superior Xbox 360 version this time, boy was I wrong about the PS3) and having just as much fun. I hope to complete it before Lost & Damned comes out on Tuesday!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Im curious you say this Cyril ....so what exactly are the differences between the XBOX and PS3 version? Ive only played the XBOX version and I enjoy it...but thats all I have to go by. In the PS3 version are they are as ....hmm how do I put this....rubbery LOL...I mean the way the characters move is so puddy like. haha...like when they are falling to the ground dead or when they fly out of a car or bike.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:03 pm 
It's really hard to explain. But being the only person here who has played both the 360 version just has a better "feel" to it. This is probably due to the fact that the game itself was not a direct port but was developed by two different groups of developers (one for each console) and let's face it, the Xbox 360 developers are much better at what they do. Plus, the console has been out for a year longer, so they know just how far they can push it. The PS3 is a nice tech toy, but all it has turned into for me is an overpriced Blu-Ray player. There are literally no good games on the PS3 that I want to play besides Metal Gear Sold 4 and that game alone does not merit the $400 purchase. I supported Sony at the beginning of this console war, but they really dropped the ball. Plus, the online play on PS3 cannot even come close to the quality of the 360. It costs money for a reason. Because the servers actually do something!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:35 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
It's really hard to explain. But being the only person here who has played both the 360 version just has a better "feel" to it. This is probably due to the fact that the game itself was not a direct port but was developed by two different groups of developers (one for each console) and let's face it, the Xbox 360 developers are much better at what they do. Plus, the console has been out for a year longer, so they know just how far they can push it. The PS3 is a nice tech toy, but all it has turned into for me is an overpriced Blu-Ray player. There are literally no good games on the PS3 that I want to play besides Metal Gear Sold 4 and that game alone does not merit the $400 purchase. I supported Sony at the beginning of this console war, but they really dropped the ball. Plus, the online play on PS3 cannot even come close to the quality of the 360. It costs money for a reason. Because the servers actually do something!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:51 am 
Downloading the new game right now! Will give impressions tomorrow.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:43 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Cyril The Thrill wrote:
Downloading the new game right now! Will give impressions tomorrow.

Ooooh, do Rod Serling. I've yet to see a good Rod Serling impression

;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:48 am 
This. Episode. Is. Amazing.

I am only an hour into the new game (still have pigeons to hunt and stunt jumps to perform in the old game) but this is by far exceeding my expectations. To Anthony or anyone else who might have this for Xbox 360, I suggest you download this new episode now. The new bikes are so sweet and they completely retooled the radio stations. They are full of heavy metal and thrash now and it fits the concept of the game perfectly. There are a few new weapons as well. The new version of the sawed off shotgun is just breathtaking when you shoot someone with it at point blank range, especially with the cinematic camera turned on. For a mere $20 this thing was a steal.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:14 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Damn! I need to pick up a 360 now... :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Go for the PS3 like NYR94 suggested MrRSerling....GTA4 is on both systems.

Anyway.....I have a copy of this game in my possession again after my first one broke :( , but now I ready to european mass murdering to the next level...