Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Godfather Video Game
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:28 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
This is a great game. Am I alone or do other people like this one too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:12 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
I've seen a few friends that I hang out with play this. It looks really well done. Vintage cars, streets, and the side chat makes this have an authentic feel.

I like the fact that you can customize and upgrade your character as you move thru levels and become more important in the "Family. " The fact that you don't have to play one of the characters from the movies is a big plus in my book. When it hits the $10.00 bin I'll probably grab it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:11 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Hell, this game is so fun even my wife loves it. This is what game making is all about, right here. Great film that you get to extend upon as a game.

9!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Quote:
I like the fact that you can customize and upgrade your character as you move thru levels and become more important in the "Family. " The fact that you don't have to play one of the characters from the movies is a big plus in my book. When it hits the $10.00 bin I'll probably grab it.

As of July 2, 2009 its at about 20 dollars. Still a great pickup if you have something better then a PS2 or XBOX. I also love the fact that you can literally change the appearance of the character as he becomes more powerful, stronger, and smarter.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:00 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Great game!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:10 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I wish I could say the same for those New York Rangers :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:54 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Played it, finished it 100% and love it. I finished Scarface too. not quite as fun, got a little repetitive towards the end, because to buy the more expensive items in the shop, you pretty much have to smuggle until you earn the tens of millions you need for the more expensive items. I think the most expensive one is 60 million, but it's not just one item, it's like custom music or something. Speaking of which, the soundtrack is great for Scarface and as you earn more money, you can then just play the songs you like.

I played The Godfather on Playstation 2. The hits you do as side jobs, do yourself a favor and perform the hit in the particular fashion your boss wants it done, you gain so much more money doing that and you'll need it to buy the stronger weapons from the street dealers later in the game, especially handy when you're trying to take over warehouses and compounds, or if you just want to buy another safehouse. I remember there was one where you had to burn an enemy, so you could use dynamite or molotovs, the big challenge there is you're on top of a bridge and the other guy is on the ground below, another one you had to kill a guy with there being no witnesses so you either have to do a quick stealth kill so the maid doesn't see you or if she does, then you have to kill her too for the extra cash, another one also had you going stealth with a garrote, but I remember you could still do it even if the guy hears you by shooting him in one of his legs first and then quickly running behind him so you could still strangle him.

I forget what the last story mission is now, the strategy guide is great for this game too, has maps and great descriptions of the main story and side missions and shows what all the different execution styles look like if you're trying to get them all in the game. There's two you can get right away, one is where you keep throwing punches until the enemy dies, the other one is when you punch an enemy enough times, you'll see a prompt to press a certain button and your guy will grab the enemy gangster and snap his neck.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:31 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:04 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:05 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Have you ever tried to drive one car from Brooklyn all the way to Hells Kitchen???

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:40 pm 

:ROTF: My wife says it only takes her about 23 seconds if she doesn't hit another car - who stops for lights or pedestrians anyway. :ROTF:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:37 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:29 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

It was announced in August 2007 that Electronic Arts is looking to make a video game adaptation of The Godfather Part II as well. The game looks to be released in late 2008-early 2009

Well....I was all for this before hearing the news...I knew it would have been a cool idea. Take a trip down to Cuba....kill some people.......Al Neri the assassin will be in the game I'm sure! We get to whack FREDDIE!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:03 pm 

[font=Century Gothic]"You broke my heart, Fredo. You broke my heart."[/font]

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:35 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

SalvadoreVanBuren wrote:
It was announced in August 2007 that Electronic Arts is looking to make a video game adaptation of The Godfather Part II as well. The game looks to be released in late 2008-early 2009

Well....I was all for this before hearing the news...I knew it would have been a cool idea. Take a trip down to Cuba....kill some people.......Al Neri the assassin will be in the game I'm sure! We get to whack FREDDIE!!

Cool. I'll probably get that. It'll probably be better than the Scarface game.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:14 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I beat The Godfather again recently. The last story mission recreates some of the events of the big, climactic scene in the original film with the hits being done against the Dons of the other 5 families during Michael's nephew's baptism. Part of it is timed, where you have to rush to the next location after completing each hit and then you have to avoid being caught or killed by police and head back to the church.

So did anyone else here get far enough to be Don of NYC?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

Anthony wrote:
I beat The Godfather again recently. The last story mission recreates some of the events of the big, climactic scene in the original film with the hits being done against the Dons of the other 5 families during Michael's nephew's baptism. Part of it is timed, where you have to rush to the next location after completing each hit and then you have to avoid being caught or killed by police and head back to the church.

Well I haven't played many video games in many years, although I know its some interesting stuff out there.

To be honest, something with lots of killing and "mob hits" sounds like it would be right in my wheelhouse. :dance:

I may just check this one out.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:21 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Cool, not only that, but you have some great additional voice acting from Marlon Brando before his death and I think James Caan and Robert Duvall as well.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:24 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

I like Yoshi's Island.................................. :) It's so CUTE!!!! :D

Image :clap:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:27 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

That reminds me of that Mario parody they did on Robot Chicken. First it had Mario and Luigi in a car, they come to a fork in the road and they take the one with the sign that says Vice City, and then had Mario and Luigi in the Grand Theft Auto world. Then, it had Yoshi driving, gets to the same crossroads and takes the other one, which goes to Racoon City, where Yoshi proceeds to get eaten by zombies. Ah, Robot Chicken rules.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:

I did. First I became Godfather, but then I relized you had to take over every shop or store to become Don of NYC. You get a little cut scene of your character sitting in a chair like the Godfather....thought that was cool...and it happens literally after the last shop is taken over, which is neat to. You dont have to go anywhere to trigger the scene.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

I bought this for XBOX 360. What an upgrade from the original XBOX.... So many new details and new little random extras are amazing!!!! I wasn't expecting this but this game is better then ever! New features such as better cut-scenes, weather, new voices, new objectives, it all makes for a way better experience.

Recommended for everyone who has played the original game or has yet to experience this and loves the movies! Get it now!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:26 pm 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
I worked at Redwood Shores where this game was developed. All the artwork was up to see. The cafeteria has a MASSIVE poster of the game cover hanging on the wall. It must be 20x30 feet and really detailed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:08 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I managed to finish Godfather 2 recently. Not quite as fun as the original, but not bad. I like you get to be the guy that takes out the compounds of the rival families and you get to whack Hyman Roth. I also liked that you get to be a new Don and start your own crew and have guys with different specialties. I think they were demolitionist, bruiser, arsonist, medic and safecracker. You need almost all of them to take over a compound. I also liked being able to do favors for people you meet on the street and certain corrupt officials. I managed to get all of the X Box 360 achievements on this game.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:53 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Anthony wrote:
I managed to finish Godfather 2 recently. Not quite as fun as the original, but not bad. I like you get to be the guy that takes out the compounds of the rival families and you get to whack Hyman Roth. I also liked that you get to be a new Don and start your own crew and have guys with different specialties. I think they were demolitionist, bruiser, arsonist, medic and safecracker. You need almost all of them to take over a compound. I also liked being able to do favors for people you meet on the street and certain corrupt officials. I managed to get all of the X Box 360 achievements on this game.

Is it still the same format of taking over shops and different families wearing colors, acting more aggressive etc like the original?

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:08 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah it is, except when you take over businesses sometimes a rival family might try to take it back again. The only way to keep them from trying to take back a business is to take out certain made men in a specific manner and blow up a rival family's compound. With the compounds, you have to at least have a demolitionist and one of those guys that cuts fences, whetaver they call them. You might need a bruiser, as they can break weaker doors.