Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:03 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Friday night, December 5, 2009....the Carolina Theatre in Greensboro,NC.

YES performed. this was the third time i saw them in concert.
and it was fantastic!! for info about YES go to:

http://www.yesworld.com

the Carolina Theatre is a on old renovated venue that continues to this day presenting live theatrical performances as well as periodic big screen movies.

here is a link:

http://www.carolinatheatre.com

talk about being fortunate..i had not purchased a ticket and planned on getting one on arrival.i had a very serious problem to take care of so i got to the theatre 5 minutes after it was to begin. there were only 4 tickets left in the entire building. and i got one of them.

the show began as i looked for my seat. out walked Steve Howe, Alan White, Chris Squire with newcomers, Oliver Rakeman and Benoit David. it started out good and got even better. being a fan of ASIA....that made me estatic to see Howe again. and i have been a fan of Squire's since the first time i saw YES years ago. White did a fantastic solo early on. Wakeman did a good job on keyboards and David was a most excellent choice as a replacement for the ailling lead singer, Jon Anderson.

the show went on for over two hours.

the set was finished with STARSHIP TROOPER. after a short exit, they returned for the encore....OWNER OF A LONLEY HEART. then the show was concluded with ROUNDABOUT.

i was by myself. there were girls sitting on both sides of me. about 3/4 of the show behind us, one of the girls got up and left. moments later, she returned with some refreshments. from nowhere out of the blue, she offered me some of her popcorn. since it ws so loud, we couldn't talk. once the show was over, i thanked for for her offer of popcorn and that got us and her..boyfriend i assume..to talk. they were a younger couple..maybe early 20's. they had a great time. neither had ever seen YES before. it sure was a pleasure meeting them and talking about music a bit before we said our goodbyes. and it was great to know that there are still some younger people that appreciate good music, still.

i spoke to a man that worked at the theatre. i asked about the capacity and he said that for this setting, the theatre sat 1075..and the place was sold out!!!

i am so glad i went. i almost talked myself into not going. good thing i changed my mind, cause i enoyed that show.
BRY.

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:53 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Sounds like a good show, Bobby. Damn shame about Anderson, but Howe, Squire, Wakeman, & White more then made up for it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:42 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

they sure did.
i got two friends here that wouldn't go because Anderson wasn't with them, and i got an email from a friend in CA that said the same...well, i went and i had a great time. they missed out, not me.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:36 pm 
Yes were a great band up until Relayer in 1974. Anything after that is complete garbage in my opinion. Close To The Edge is their masterwork to me. It seems to me that seeing Yes without John Anderson would be the same as seeing Alice In Chains without Layne Staley.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:55 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

well, this is how i see it...
YES has been around for like 40 years...and there have been maybe 25 or so different band members..so what's two more new members? it's not like some bands (KISS, Stones, as you said Alice in Chains, etc) that have had only a handful of members in many years.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:48 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
So what is up with Jon Anderson? Is this another Steve Perry deal? I am sorry to say, I am not crazy about these
bands getting "sound alikes" and then going out and claiming to be the same band since they are not! How can it be the same band without the lead singer?
I would not go see them myself, I saw them years ago and they do put on a good show, but I cannot get over the replacement thing.
To me Journey is not Journey without Steve Perry,
Foreigner, Mick Jones or not, does not have their lead singer, so no go for me there as well....
I just don't get this new phenom of saying they are the group they aren't....
Heart without Ann Wilson would be a travisty! I mean I could ramble on and on....
I would love to know why Anderson is not with them anymore since he has been there through all their incarnations...
And, I too, love ASIA! I saw them three times back in their original form in the very early 80's and then this last trip they went on they didn't come anywhere near KC, which really surprised me. I even emailed them and they said no one was interested here! Unbelievable!
...anyway, I have no strong opinions on this at all.... :o :lol:

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:09 pm 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Well, Jon Anderson has a viable excuse - his lungs and chest. Here is what I lifted from his site:

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif]A Statement from Jon Anderson
[align=justify]In the wake of my recent respiratory attack, doctors have advised me to spend the coming months resting and recovering. Unfortunately, this means I won't be able to tour with Yes this summer as originally planned. I'd like everyone to know how deeply disappointed I am by this turn of events. I was looking forward to celebrating our music with the amazing family of Yes fans once again; but as we all know, health must come before anything else. Wishing you all the very best... Jon[/align][/font]

Now for many of the other bands, I'm in deep agreement with ya, Woodrow. It would be like Paul and Ringo going on tour as "The Beatles." They aren't, they know it, we know it - so they don't do it. I figure if you are going to tour with a half act or incomplete act, at least have the common decency to announce the fact. Hell, even Queen had the good sense to place: "QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS" to notify the public that Freddie hasn't nor ever will return from the grave. But, if you like Queen, Bad Co & Free music, come on down and enjoy the show.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:37 pm 
Well, the Doors toured with Ian Astbury a few years ago and we all know how that turned out. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:35 pm 
The General
The General

Yeah that is what I am saying DrM---these acts that I mention say they are "Foreigner", "Journey", etc....when Van Halen replaced their singer they told everyone, same with Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship, Starship, etc..I just don't think it is cool to go around saying they are something they are not.
I mean Fleetwood Mac is going on tour next year and everyone knows Christine McVie is still retired!
And the thing is these other bands pretty much know that I think, if they real everyone in, people will have a good time and forget about it.

So I wonder after he Jon Anderson gets well if he will be back...damn he has such a unique cool voice.....I would love to see them again!

Thanks for the update too DrM!

And yes Cyril, that is another one--The Doors....same thing with Creedence only now they have to say they are Creedence Revisited or some such BS... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:29 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Ian Astbury is the ONLY thing that would get me to see the so called DOORS.
never liked them. only song i ever heard by them worth listening to was "Touch Me", think that's the name of it. just not a good band, to me. but i am a fan of THE CULT and love Astbury's voice. so i would have been there just for him.

FLEETWOOD MAC....i have to disagree here. while Christine McVie's absence would be a huge part of the deal, but she was not the only person to sing lead on their songs, popular or not. JOURNEY without Steve Perry, AEROSMITH without Steven Tyler, The Cult without Astbury, CHICAGO without Peter Citera...these bands would suck without that lead singer. why? because they had no known hits, much less album tracks worth mentioning, without that one singer (except CHICAGO and i personally, do not like them without Citera).
Jefferson whatever had many hits and albums with Mickey Thomas as opposed to Grace Slick, then she came back and they did duet lead for years...the BEATLES alternated lead singers has have KISS.

what i am getting at is that one person just does not make the band. though i said what i did about the Astbury/DOORS, i wouldn't be there for DOORS songs. i'd be suffering through that stuff hoping some CULT music would get mixed in some...and i might be disappointed by doing that. i don't like this pairring of QUEEN+Paul Rogers. i don't like Bad Co. or Rogers' music anyway. but just don't call them QUEEN. they are not QUEEN. they are two members of QUEEN and Paul Rogers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:00 pm 
The General
The General

bobbyryates wrote:
. i don't like this pairring of QUEEN+Paul Rogers. i don't like Bad Co. or Rogers' music anyway. but just don't call them QUEEN. they are not QUEEN. they are two members of QUEEN and Paul Rogers.

That's no lie! See, that is what I am saying about these lead singers as well!
My reference to Fleetwood Mac is only for the fact they tell their fans who is in the lineup and not like the others that do not.

Here Here on the Doors too!! I have never been in on that stuff either and I know all the songs as I heard them all growing up and hearing them now has not done a thing for me.... :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:11 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

i understand.
Brian and Roger are not QUEEN just as Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons are not KISS. they are PART of KISS.
mis-calling them like that irks me to no end....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 pm 
The General
The General

a big co-sign from this side of the fence!!