Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Who was the better female Fleetwood Mac singer?
Christine McVie 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
Stevie Nicks 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:40 am 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I was discussing this with a friend just earlier tonight.
Recently I have been listening to a bit of Fleetwood Mac, and got a bit of it for my iPod mini.

Anyhow, we were discussing which "version" of Fleetwood Mac female singer was better, namely Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie.

I know that the members here are typically a bit older than me, and should know Fleetwood Mac pretty well. (not to mention some of us are rather outspoken on our musical tastes) :D

Both women added quite a bit of great material to the group, and obviously worked well together.
Stevie Nicks' solo efforts are far more well known that Christine McVie's though, hence the discussion we were having.

I mentioned "Fleetwood Mac" to our own Rorschach the other day, and he said he had never even heard of them..........??! :wtf:
Are the Brits actually that musically deprived? LOL

Anyway, I am curious to know what the group here thinks as a whole.

Who was the better Fleetwood Mac female singer, Nicks or McVie?
I will reveal my choice later.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:30 am 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
My favorite version of "The Mac" is when both women were with them. I saw them back in the 80's and they were awesome. This version is also with the wonderful Lindsey Buckingham, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood, too of course. Now, McVie has retired, right after they finally get their shite together, do that live 1999 album The Dance and then she blows them off! Shite! I was so pissed as when their last album came out in 1987, Tango in the Night, that is when Buckingham told them to blow and he wasn't touring.
So McVie left and then the rest of them released Say you Will in 2003 and toured from that and I saw them again, missing McVie, but they are still awesome after all these years......so I really cannot say one way or the other, sorry....it's gotta be both of them. They both add so much......

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:26 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
My favorite version of "The Mac" is when both women were with them. I saw them back in the 80's and they were awesome. They both add so much......

Yes, I knew someone was going to say that, and thats pretty much how I look at it too Woodrow.

But I was really trying to find out which singer you preferred.............??

The reason I was wondering, is fairly interesting. (at least to me anyway)

I have encountered arguments before online, on which was better in their performances/vocals, Nicks or McVie.
Many of the younger generation and "rock-ish" types choose Nicks, but I have always felt that was because of her popular solo stuff actually. At least in some small way I figured it influenced their choice.

But the purists seem to go for the smoother vocals of McVie.

If you had to choose which was your favorite, (if you absolutely had to) which would it be? Or could you even choose..........

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:44 pm 
The General
The General

Well, I will ponder that, maybe I should go down their list of songs and see whose songs I like the best....still very hard....I love how all three of the "classic Mac" lineup sound together, their harmonies....that would include Lindsey, just love how they sound together. I have heard rumblings that they are going to do an album deal with Walmart like The Eagles and others have done.......
I will get back to you.... :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:33 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
OK - to strip away the superfluous, it's like saying who was the better Beatle - John or Paul?

Lennon/Nicks: great word-smiths - provocative imagery in words and phrasing.

McCartney/McVie: Both brilliant musicians with a pop edge to them.

Vocal & Writing Styles:

Nicks is rock with country roots ie: a lot of ballads and anthems. Gold Dust Woman, Landslide, Rhiannon.

McVie: Pop with some dance mixed in. Much more brighter, lighter, and happy. Over My head, You Making Loving Fun, Say You Love Me.

Boils Down To:

If you are more of a top 40 listener - McVie has more appeal. Rock & Roll Listener - Stevie Nicks.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:29 pm 
DrMoreau wrote:
Boils Down To:

If you are more of a top 40 listener - McVie has more appeal. Rock & Roll Listener - Stevie Nicks.

That's where you and I differ, as I am most assuredly more of a rock 'n roll guy then a top 40 guy and I would choose Christine McVie by a landslide (pun intended) over Stevie Nicks. ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:42 pm 

Perhaps I should now weigh in with my opinion.

Personally, I am going with Christine McVie. I simply think she has more of a "smooth" melodic vocal sound.

Don't get me wrong, I like Stevie Nicks as well. In fact, I like some of her solo stuff even more than McVie's solo efforts.

But when I am comparing these 2 talents, and their Fleetwood Mac efforts, this song below was the final breaking point for me.
Agreed its a "pop"-ish ballad song, but I don't think Stevie Nicks could have pulled this one off like McVie does.

"As Long as You Follow" - Fleetwood Mac

Link

I agree with Woodrow too, on Lindsay Buckingham. I even remember some of his solo stuff from the 1980's, and I liked it as well.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:04 am 

Cyril The Thrill wrote:
DrMoreau wrote:
Boils Down To:

That's where you and I differ, as I am most assuredly more of a rock 'n roll guy then a top 40 guy and I would choose Christine McVie by a landslide (pun intended) over Stevie Nicks. ;)

Hmmmm - I'm gonna have to say it is a difference of coasts. Here on the Left Coast - most rocker I know would have to go with Stevie Nicks. Of course, most rockers I know would also claim Fleetwood Mac sucked until Lindsey Buckingham joined the band too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:15 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Stevie Nicks was hotter so I'll vote for her.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:20 am 

whitsbrain wrote:

I knew someone was going to chime in with that sooner or later, I just didn't think it was going to be you. :clap:

You are fairly outspoken when it comes to your musical tastes, maybe I was just expecting a bit more. HA~!

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:14 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

never was a big fan of theirs. not because i didn't like them, just that i never heard much of their music.
my first exposure was some songs from the album "tusk" back in '79. after that album, they had some song i did like. "Tango in the Night" was a SUPERB album.

loved the lindsey buckingham solo songs on the raido.

as i said, i was never what i would call, a real fan, i just liked a few songs. when they came to charlotte, nc in..1990. i think it was, i went to see them. not because i wanted to see them, i wanted to see Mick Fleetwood. i got this thing for drummers...i wanted to see Fleetwood live just once. i gotta say, i walked out of that coliseum with a larger respect for the music of Fleetwood Mac. that was a fantastic concert, even without Lindsey Buckingham.

as for the question at hand, i prefer the era of christine and stevie together, though that is not an option.

as for drummers, these are my favourites i have seen live:
eric carr (best of all time in my opinion)
tony brock
carmine appice
mick fleetwood
eric singer
tommy lee

http://www.aiwfenergy.com

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
whitsbrain wrote:

I knew someone was going to chime in with that sooner or later, I just didn't think it was going to be you. :clap:

You are fairly outspoken when it comes to your musical tastes, maybe I was just expecting a bit more. HA~!

TZ DZ Fan

I'm not a big Fleetwood Mac fan. I do like a number of their songs, though. I will say that I do like McVie's voice better than Nicks'. I don't know the band well enough to know who wrote what songs.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:41 pm 

whitsbrain wrote:
I'm not a big Fleetwood Mac fan. I do like a number of their songs, though. I will say that I do like McVie's voice better than Nicks'. I don't know the band well enough to know who wrote what songs.

I pretty much figured you weren't a FM fan, simply because of the stuff you used to have on your site was pretty different.
You seemed more alternative, than the pop-ish FM, and their mainstream hits.

But knowing approximately what age you are, I was fairly sure you had at least heard alot of their stuff, though maybe not by "choice". :D

Speaking of that, you never mentioned anywhere else what the verdict was on your site, and the music.....?

At last mention, you were thinking of shutting it down completely because of royalty issues and other legal crap, but you never said one way or another, unless you are still debating it??

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I would really like to bring the streaming Internet radio station back to life. I still get music offerings from bands who want to get their music played. When I shut whitsbrain.com down, I had about 3000 listeners...not too bad. The RIAA looks like they are losing in the courts so I think I could bring it back.

I would really like to redo the website first, though. I'm not very wise about web authoring tools, though. I am in IT and do network design but building websites is not my specialty. Can anyone suggest some nice tools for building and maintaning a website (Frontpage is all I have today)? Am I better off buying a template and modifying? Should I just go with a blogsite (like blogspot) or something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:37 am 

I really can't say (from a dumb ass standpoint).............

Maybe DrM can at least lead you in the right direction.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:21 am 

Last time I used anything other than Notepad to make a webpage was mid 90's. I know their are several good web designers out there - but as the story often goes - you get what you pay for.

If you surf the web and come across a neat site or interesting feature - right click the page and check it's source file - code. Depending upon the version of front page, you are only writing for IE approved browsers. This leaves gapping holes for FireFox and Mozilla Users.

Most host sites have their own templates that you can modify to suit your needs. That may be one alternative to try too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:43 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

I liked them both! :D It kinda depends on the song and the mood. I think Christie was a little
more succesful on her solo career but not by much of the two. I think Stevie Nicks was a great
singer also. Did like Fleetwood Mac in the 70's and early 80's. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:00 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
Last time I used anything other than Notepad to make a webpage was mid 90's. I know their are several good web designers out there - but as the story often goes - you get what you pay for.

If you surf the web and come across a neat site or interesting feature - right click the page and check it's source file - code. Depending upon the version of front page, you are only writing for IE approved browsers. This leaves gapping holes for FireFox and Mozilla Users.

Most host sites have their own templates that you can modify to suit your needs. That may be one alternative to try too.

Yep, I understand DrM. I have done that before, and have just used notepad to code html. I'm just getting lazy and thought a WYSIWYG HTML editor would make things quicker.

Just thought I'd ask...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:12 pm 

My daughter uses a HTML program called WYSIWYG Web Builder. It is works like Frontpage but has a built in Java & Flash generator in it. May be worth a look.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:27 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
I was discussing this with a friend just earlier tonight.
Recently I have been listening to a bit of Fleetwood Mac, and got a bit of it for my iPod mini.

Anyhow, we were discussing which "version" of Fleetwood Mac female singer was better, namely Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie.

I know that the members here are typically a bit older than me, and should know Fleetwood Mac pretty well. (not to mention some of us are rather outspoken on our musical tastes) :D

Both women added quite a bit of great material to the group, and obviously worked well together.
Stevie Nicks' solo efforts are far more well known that Christine McVie's though, hence the discussion we were having.

I mentioned "Fleetwood Mac" to our own Rorschach the other day, and he said he had never even heard of them..........??! :wtf:
Are the Brits actually that musically deprived? LOL

Anyway, I am curious to know what the group here thinks as a whole.

Who was the better Fleetwood Mac female singer, Nicks or McVie?
I will reveal my choice later.

TZ DZ Fan

How about just better singer. That way you could include Lindsey Buckingham as a choice.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:26 pm 
The General
The General

Well, I love Lindsey Buckingham's voice, that goes without saying...his solo stuff is awesome....he is who made them the sound they were when they were so popular. As it turns out they are touring again this year!
So I went with Stevie Nicks, since she is still with them, and got to thinking of all the songs of Christine or Stevie and although I still love them both....
Stevie has Silver Springs, Landslide,Dreams and Rhiannon,Gypsy, Gold Dust Woman, and tons more and I know that Christine has her share, but, for me Nicks wins...and I cannot wait to go see them again! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Christie McVie or Stevie Nicks? Reminds me of that Phil Hartman sketch when he played Sinatra on SNL and gave two actress names and then said "Who would you rather nail? I disqualify myself 'cause I done 'em both." Ah classic, still my favorite SNL sketch ever, The Sinatra Group.